• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGD~ Time to get SHTL done

crifer

Smash Lord
I tried it out and it actually works against mk´s tornado, BUT we can also shield grab if we PS tornado, depending on the angle which mk takes to hit you.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Did you need to change your controls? I can't afford to set X or Y to shield, lol.

crifer

Smash Lord
I did change X to shield, which sucks, bc usually I jump with X... maybe I´ll change my playstyle if this really makes a difference.

Kuares

Pizza
Here's what you want to do. First, you get a tri-wing screwdriver. Then you open up your controller and take out the spring on the shoulder button. Put it back together and voila! L/R is now a button. If a tournament doesn't allow those sorts of 'mods', never let someone else use your controller.

The only problem now will be if you want to play Super Mario Sunshine, the Fludd will not be pressure sensitive or in my case, use a blaster in Starfox:Assault.

Though personally, R for me is Jump. That's so I can do Reverse Upsmash's, OoS upsmashes, and Shining Dashes.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Here's what you want to do. First, you get a tri-wing screwdriver. Then you open up your controller and take out the spring on the shoulder button. Put it back together and voila! L/R is now a button. If a tournament doesn't allow those sorts of 'mods', never let someone else use your controller.

The only problem now will be if you want to play Super Mario Sunshine, the Fludd will not be pressure sensitive or in my case, use a blaster in Starfox:Assault.

Though personally, R for me is Jump. That's so I can do Reverse Upsmash's, OoS upsmashes, and Shining Dashes.

Dude, I was doing that 2 years ago.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
He was just trying to help.

But sadly, yeah, that is considered cheating :(.
No it isn't. It's only cheating in Melee tournaments, however, for the reasons it's banned in Melee are very similar to those that would make it easier to PSC, so if the PSC actually does become important, it may be seeing a ban, unless a ton of people were already doing it and the momentum blocks a ban.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Since you guys seem to know about it, what are the cons for removing the springs in one's controller?

this
vvv

kinda frighten me, does it mean you couldn't short hop if R or L (springless) was set as jump?

Lightning93

Smash Champion
kinda frighten me, does it mean you couldn't short hop if R or L (springless) was set as jump?
I would assume so, but that's quite an odd configuration you would have there.

In all cases, you could still choose to leave either the L or R button untouched. No sense in having to remove both springs...

Unless somehow they're connected?

They are controlled by seperate levers so no they are not connected. I tried using my friend's controller with no springs, no way could I get used to that. It feels clunky.

Zephil

Smash Ace
I think this is not even useful to Fox when I prefer to SDI the nado to be above MK and dair him instead of just hitting him with a jab :/

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Hm... So I guess that I've kinda become a Fox alt player in a way, which means I should talk more here. =)

Hello everyone. I main Falco but I started to play Fox in quite a few matchups. ^^

Savon

Smash Ace
Yeah I am new to Fox as well, but I have been having a lot of fun with him lately. With that being said nice to meet you all here on the Fox boards.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Hello everyone. I main Falco but I started to play Fox in quite a few matchups. ^^
Yeah I am new to Fox as well, but I have been having a lot of fun with him lately. With that being said nice to meet you all here on the Fox boards.
Welcome!

It was really cool of you Funk to rep Fox in Grand Finals.

And he is an incredibly fun character imo!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
sup guys, fox is better than falco :3

don't take the springs out of your R/L buttons imo.

The powershielding thing is kind of cool, but everyone should already know that tornado in the air is the biggest problem. Tornado gives MK free damage against pretty much any character that's trying to get back on stage... but on the ground, it's pretty punishable.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Definitely is. I'm gonna start experimenting playing lots of different matchups as Fox.

There are definitely some I find more comfortable as Fox than Falco.

I hate Falco dittos maybe I should try Fox there.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
tl;dr: There's really no point in removing your springs cause it really doesn't take less time than getting used to quickly pressing L/R with a spring.

(tl;drs really should be at the front of a post imo)

Since you guys seem to know about it, what are the cons for removing the springs in one's controller?
If you only use the controller for brawl, the only con is that it feels different and could be uncomfortable at first. If you only use the controller for smash, then the biggest con would be that you can no longer use it at strict Melee tourneys (although I've allowed them at mine for brawl mainly players).

The other biggest con is that you have to actually change your controller, whereas, you don't actually NEED to remove the spring, it just makes it easier to do powershields for people who suck at pressing L/R quickly.

since short hopping only has to do with how long the button is held down for, and the trigger pressure isn't used (only the click), this wouldn't effect how you could short hop at all.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Definitely is. I'm gonna start experimenting playing lots of different matchups as Fox.

There are definitely some I find more comfortable as Fox than Falco.

I hate Falco dittos maybe I should try Fox there.
I've always thought Fox was underrated and Falco was overrated, I'll at least say that.
Also, Fox vs Falco is easily one of the most fun to play/watch matchups in the game, personally. Pretty darn even.

Savon

Smash Ace
Fox is a fun as hell, but I have no idea how to do Fox's SHL, SHDL and SHTL. I also have trouble with approaching and such. Either way Fox is so freaking fun. He does not get the credit he deserves.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
I think Fox is gradually getting more and more credit. The only issue now is representation...

Savon, if you look around the video and Q+A threads I believe there are a couple tutorials you would do well to watch/read :).

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
I'ma be reppin' Fox in Canada (even though I wont do a very good job. >>)
I don't know of any other Fox players here. I hope I'm not the only Canadian Fox.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Fox is a fun as hell, but I have no idea how to do Fox's SHL, SHDL and SHTL. I also have trouble with approaching and such. Either way Fox is so freaking fun. He does not get the credit he deserves.
The laser things all take practice. I personally find SHTL easy as hell, but I jump with X and shoot with Y. I have the middle of my thumb on X, and the end of my thumb on Y, so I can do it all very quickly.

Approaching? You usually don't need to approach... what you do is camp, wait for them to approach, and mixup your camping game
(example, you camp SHTL until they start to approach, at which point you dash attack or dashgrab towards them. The next time you camp SHTL and they approach, try retreating or going above them instead. just examples)

The amazing thing about Fox is how quickly he can rack up damage. Whenever I'm fighting a MK and I feel like I'm behind, I get some combo on him that does 30+ damage and if he's above 90, bam he's already in kill range.

It may sound "2008ish" but Fox's Dair is pretty devastating if you land it. It not only does a lot of damage by itself, but leads into a lot of things, including kills.

Savon

Smash Ace
The vids are all very helpful, but they still do not give me an idea of the timing required to SHTL. I am not sure WHEN I should be lasering during my short hops. Once I can get a general idea of the timing I will just practice it until it is muscle memory. The funny thing is that I use x to shoot and y to jump, so I am in a similar boat as you.

edit: The Snake boards are discussing the Fox MU, so please contribute. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=294967

RPK

Smash Lord
The vids are all very helpful, but they still do not give me an idea of the timing required to SHTL. I am not sure WHEN I should be lasering during my short hops. Once I can get a general idea of the timing I will just practice it until it is muscle memory. The funny thing is that I use x to shoot and y to jump, so I am in a similar boat as you.

edit: The Snake boards are discussing the Fox MU, so please contribute. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=294967
You know how fast a double bass pedal goes? They go at about 16th or 32nd notes. So it's about that fast. If you don't know how fast that is well...l2 rhythm

Top Bottom