• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGD~ Time to get SHTL done

SCOTU

Smash Hero
oh, to add on to my original comments, also if you do this, if you jump with up and just hold up, and then do your aerial with the c stick, it'll count as a control stick movement and actually give you a short hop (leading me to believe that the shorthop window in brawl actually extends into the first air frame, instead of the last ground frame like in melee). I notice this mostly when I try to fullhop fairs/bairs and I instead shorthop nothing towards my opponent and die.

I've noticed that before... empty short hops that inexplicably would send me left or right, according to where I pressed on the C-stick. Now I know why I guess...

I usually don't use C-stick for short hop aerials though. I mostly use it for momentum canceling and stuff.
you don't do aerials in the opposite direction of your motion as much as you might if you used the c stick :p

In Brawl, to do a SH bair, I will hit X to jump and immediately hit A since my thumb is pretty much on both buttons at once. I do this in Melee and I think I input the aerial too quickly so it doesn't come out. Can you perform an airdodge for a wavedash sooner than you can perform an aerial after jumping?
Nope. Aerials and air dodges are operable in the same window. Startable the frame you're airborne. You don't normally need a strict 1st frame air dodge for a wavedash. Depending on jump speed of a character, you often have several frames to get a good wavedash, although you can get a longer one with a tighter air dodge.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I wonder why it seems like I screw up wavedashes less often than shorthop aerials. I had a theory:
-SH aerial: press X to jump, press A to do aerial. I do this VERY QUICKLY since my thumb can rest on both buttons at once, so I do it in pretty much one motion, too quickly for it to register properly.
-wavedash: press X to jump, then the directional input plus the L button to airdodge. I do the direction and the L button with my left hand, so no matter what it's going to be SLIGHTLY slower than the SH aerial, which gives it enough time to register.

The reason I realized this theory is wrong is because there's another way that I try doing SH aerials sometimes: up on the control stick, then whatever direction on the C-stick. That also requires two hands and doesn't work as often as my wavedashes do.

So my conclusion is that I'm just weird.

you don't do aerials in the opposite direction of your motion as much as you might if you used the c stick :p
If you're suggesting that I have a problem with doing aerials in the wrong direction in Brawl, I really don't. The closest thing I can think of is sometimes I try to short hop aerial TOO quickly even for Brawl, and I end up charging an Fsmash instead.

I mean, I press X to jump and A to aerial at almost the same instant. If I do it too quickly I'll just charging or using a smash. X_X

I also noticed a long time ago: with tap jump on (which is how I play) if you're holding Up all the way on the control stick, then try to shorthop Uair (Fox is a great character to do this with since he's so fast at it) with a jump button and the A button, you'll end up doing Upsmash instead of a Shuair. If you tilt the control stick slightly up, instead of all the way, you will do a SHuair instead of Upsmash.

If tap jump is OFF, you won't have this problem (from what I remember..)

I notice this mostly when I try to fullhop fairs/bairs and I instead shorthop nothing towards my opponent and die.
I think I know what you're talking about. We should give it a name.. "unintentional short hop to the left or right" sound good?

Yay talking about random Brawl stuff!

Let's talk about ... um... I dunno?
I played Balanced Brawl once a couple weeks ago. The only thing I know they changed with Fox is that he can jump out of the end of Illusion if he uses his Side B in the air before using his double jump. It was pretty cool.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I wonder why it seems like I screw up wavedashes less often than shorthop aerials. I had a theory:
-SH aerial: press X to jump, press A to do aerial. I do this VERY QUICKLY since my thumb can rest on both buttons at once, so I do it in pretty much one motion, too quickly for it to register properly.
-wavedash: press X to jump, then the directional input plus the L button to airdodge. I do the direction and the L button with my left hand, so no matter what it's going to be SLIGHTLY slower than the SH aerial, which gives it enough time to register.

The reason I realized this theory is wrong is because there's another way that I try doing SH aerials sometimes: up on the control stick, then whatever direction on the C-stick. That also requires two hands and doesn't work as often as my wavedashes do.

So my conclusion is that I'm just weird.
If you can wavedash correctly, and you naturally use the A button for aerials, it's an easy fix. Just use Z for your aerials instead of A. I do this when I need frame perfect nairs or dairs, as going X->A is too fast, and I'm already used to the exact same motion/timing for wavedashing. Oh god dammit. I just realized you wavedash with L. Nvmnd.

If you're suggesting that I have a problem with doing aerials in the wrong direction in Brawl, I really don't. The closest thing I can think of is sometimes I try to short hop aerial TOO quickly even for Brawl, and I end up charging an Fsmash instead.

I mean, I press X to jump and A to aerial at almost the same instant. If I do it too quickly I'll just charging or using a smash. X_X
If you're running to the left jump to the left and do a bair, you cannot do this with the A button correctly. If you are standing still or dashing forward and want to jump back with a fair, you cannot do this properly with the A button.

I also noticed a long time ago: with tap jump on (which is how I play) if you're holding Up all the way on the control stick, then try to shorthop Uair (Fox is a great character to do this with since he's so fast at it) with a jump button and the A button, you'll end up doing Upsmash instead of a Shuair. If you tilt the control stick slightly up, instead of all the way, you will do a SHuair instead of Upsmash.

If tap jump is OFF, you won't have this problem (from what I remember..)
This is due to an oversight in how brawl input handles usmashes (the same is true in melee, actually). You have to be able to usmash with Up+A, but if smash up is a jump, you'd have to have perfect timing to be able to do the usmash, something nintendo cannot allow (as it would require practice to use a basic attack). The same effect is compensated for for fsmashes by allowing the early part of your dash to be cancelled into an fsmash (the so called "stutter step"). So nintendo made a work around for this saying: "If you are holding Up and press A during the start of a jump, cancel the jump and usmash". Hence, JC Usmashes (which are in all smash games for the same reason, and why you can usmash out of a run in melee differently than any other attack). This has the side effect of allowing you to be holding Up, jump with X, and pressing A. You now held up while pressing A while in a jump statup: JC usmash.

I think I know what you're talking about. We should give it a name.. "unintentional short hop to the left or right" sound good?

Yay talking about random Brawl stuff!
I just gave it a name =/ BSF, the Bull **** Frame.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
If you can wavedash correctly, and you naturally use the A button for aerials, it's an easy fix. Just use Z for your aerials instead of A. I do this when I need frame perfect nairs or dairs, as going X->A is too fast, and I'm already used to the exact same motion/timing for wavedashing. Oh god dammit. I just realized you wavedash with L. Nvmnd.
No, what you said makes sense, I'll actually give that a try and see if it's any different.

This is due to an oversight in how brawl input handles usmashes (the same is true in melee, actually). You have to be able to usmash with Up+A, but if smash up is a jump, you'd have to have perfect timing to be able to do the usmash, something nintendo cannot allow (as it would require practice to use a basic attack). The same effect is compensated for for fsmashes by allowing the early part of your dash to be cancelled into an fsmash (the so called "stutter step"). So nintendo made a work around for this saying: "If you are holding Up and press A during the start of a jump, cancel the jump and usmash". Hence, JC Usmashes (which are in all smash games for the same reason, and why you can usmash out of a run in melee differently than any other attack). This has the side effect of allowing you to be holding Up, jump with X, and pressing A. You now held up while pressing A while in a jump statup: JC usmash.
That's interesting, and it makes sense.

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
i dont really follow threads there but i thought id ask.

I was bored so i clicked on a Falco thread and realized they were talking about something since april that i had been doing since last year. I didnt discover it, i saw a japanese player do it, but i just thought that most people knew about it.

They were raving about Falcos "b" dacus, which is simply a very long dacus done in the same way that Sheik does her dacus.

How does this pertain to Fox? It gives Fox a DACUS.

Change the R button to Attack, perform a Dacus attack and Fox will slide along the ground charging his Upsmash.

This may be old, but since the Falcos didnt know, till a few months ago, i thought maybe this had escped the Fox's as well. If its unknown, someone might wanna make a thread about it.

If its already known, my bad.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey fox boards!
do you want to own your own fox?
do you want to teach it to short hop double laser and protect you and your family and protect your right to freedom?

well now you can!

http://www.sibfox.com/ this is the cutest, I want one!!!!

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
hey fox boards!
do you want to teach it to short hop double laser and protect you and your family and protect your right to freedom?

well now you can!

lol, i've read up a bunch about that, if i remember correctly it started off as a russian experement in the tamness of silver foxes, they got a ton of odd results, from different fur patterns to the ears not always being perked and even tail wagging, all of which they didnt breed for, prroved the genes for one thing effect many other atributes.

also, this thread is seriously tech talk, and if i remember the frame where you cant do anything is called the dead frame. they fixed it in a few of the brawl mods.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You felt the need to make a video out of something so bad? >=(
I feel like rectifying this bad video with something random.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-lqPZB2bmI

And wow, Asdioh and SCOTU, you just confused the heck out of me while making complete sense.
He was mostly the confusing one though.
i dont really follow threads there but i thought id ask.

I was bored so i clicked on a Falco thread and realized they were talking about something since april that i had been doing since last year. I didnt discover it, i saw a japanese player do it, but i just thought that most people knew about it.

They were raving about Falcos "b" dacus, which is simply a very long dacus done in the same way that Sheik does her dacus.

How does this pertain to Fox? It gives Fox a DACUS.

Change the R button to Attack, perform a Dacus attack and Fox will slide along the ground charging his Upsmash.

This may be old, but since the Falcos didnt know, till a few months ago, i thought maybe this had escped the Fox's as well. If its unknown, someone might wanna make a thread about it.

I already have R set to attack for this reason, but:
1. Fox's DACUS is barely longer than just dashing upsmash, and I screw the input up a lot because I'm a nub
2. Falco's DACUS is better if he uses an attack button instead of the Z (grab) button?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
so much tech talk. but now i can laugh at my cousins errors cause he's buffering things faster than brawl will allow him too.

Well. I can't disagree with the video, but the statement is a little bold in more ways than one XD.
yes it is.

i wonder if i should feel bad now cause i usually run out to Nair when Fox is recovering. >.>
You felt the need to make a video out of something so bad? >=(
I feel like rectifying this bad video with something random.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-lqPZB2bmI
super random, but so funny, along w/ the comments.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
also, this thread is seriously tech talk, and if i remember the frame where you cant do anything is called the dead frame. they fixed it in a few of the brawl mods.
Hey. I'm the one that gets to name it. I'm the one that discovered it (well, idk if i'm the first to notice that oddity, although that also wouldn't surprise me; but i'm definitely the first to figure out the specifics of it).

Lightning93

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuAn1dNXzaQ

Yeah it was already know, and unfortunately it's not too useful :(. Thank you though for checking in, I appreciate the effort at least.
hey fox boards!
do you want to teach it to short hop triplelaser and protect you and your family and protect your right to freedom?

well now you can!

Fix'd, but that was still an awesome intro XD.

However, I don't think owning real foxes are legal in some countries...

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
omg, im so freaking bored x.x

seriously, alaska is more entertaining tthat pittsburgh right now....

ok, so mainly cause i live like 10 feet from like 3 friends who will always be willing to do stuff in fairbanks, but still!
x.x

i know!!!

light, play me inline in smash 64!!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
The only problem with that combo is that it requires you to use Dtilt :/

Dtilt is like, the one move I just don't use. Fsmash is the move I rarely use.
I use Dsmash probably more than I should?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So Asdioh, we should MM next tournament we're at. I wanna beat the pants off your Fox. To put it into perspective, you might need to look at this video.
Sure we will, but the only person I practice against mains Sonic so I will end up ****** your face off
even harder than I used to :p
edit: oh god deepskyblue text
That's a pretty epic video.
That female joker chick is pretty cute.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Anyone who doesn't go see Inception is a failure that should be rejected by all society of media.

seriously. Best Movie.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
nair>d-tilt>fair
**** will land but only in a very strict percent range on a few characters with little di and all perfect buffered >.>

just sayin : 3

well now i can add a true combo into my arsenal... as long as it works on meta knight im fine with it

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Also, if you have the chance, go see it in IMAX. The LFE by itself was well worth the extra $3 it cost (over the non-imax digital version).

This is one movie I WILL buy on Blu Ray, even if it means I have to buy a blu ray player to watch.

Asce

Smash Apprentice
Also, if you have the chance, go see it in IMAX. The LFE by itself was well worth the extra $3 it cost (over the non-imax digital version).

This is one movie I WILL buy on Blu Ray, even if it means I have to buy a blu ray player to watch.
^this. Lol and I think I'm going to go watch it again in theaters so maybe ill see it in IMAX too...that movie made me want to start carrying a unique item (trying not to give spoilers)

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Oh really? Inception was good? I thought it was just going to be your typical mind**** with no plot whatsoever, where the whole time the director is trying to force some obvious message into your mind over and over again.

But I'm glad to hear you guys like it :p. We need more good movies nowadays. People in the entertainment business shouldn't get paid millions to disappoint us.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Oh really? Inception was good? I thought it was just going to be your typical mind**** with no plot whatsoever, where the whole time the director is trying to force some obvious message into your mind over and over again.

But I'm glad to hear you guys like it :p. We need more good movies nowadays. People in the entertainment business shouldn't get paid millions to disappoint us.
now i want to see it....if i had the money....

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
What the hell is Ineption about? I asked the internet but the Fox social thread hasn't responded yet.

Quick question since yes I am lazy, what is the Fox:TL matchup like? O_o

SCOTU

Smash Hero
What the hell is Ineption about? I asked the internet but the Fox social thread hasn't responded yet.

Quick question since yes I am lazy, what is the Fox:TL matchup like? O_o
Inception is about a group of people that hack into peoples dreams in an attempt to plant an idea as if the dreamer had come up with it themselves. It's an extremely creative and well scenario'd, acted, and written movie.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Inception is about a group of people that hack into peoples dreams in an attempt to plant an idea as if the dreamer had come up with it themselves. It's an extremely creative and well scenario'd, acted, and written movie.
first thing that came to mind is paprika

watched that a few weeks ago

it was good and trippy

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I just finished the Fox hitbubble files. Thank you insomnia?

If I have time before I have to leave for a tournament, I'll fix the scaling errors real quick (probably only for jab) and put it up for testing. If it works, yeee.

Top Bottom