• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGD~ Time to get SHTL done

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
lol,

im most likely going to be hosting my first tourny next month ^.^

its nothing major, just as many people show up that are in the same dorm as me >.>

should be fun anyways, its gonne be melee/brawl and maybe even a small N64 side tourny.

problem is i dont have any of the tourny bracket/pooling software >.>
also, to allow pools that seed the tourny the right way.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
lol,

im most likely going to be hosting my first tourny next month ^.^

its nothing major, just as many people show up that are in the same dorm as me >.>

should be fun anyways, its gonne be melee/brawl and maybe even a small N64 side tourny.

problem is i dont have any of the tourny bracket/pooling software >.>
also, to allow pools that seed the tourny the right way.
Have fun with that.

Software:
http://allisbrawl.com/tio/

It's free, and it's what everyone uses.

Tips:
Make sure to keep everything running as quickly as possible, make efficient use of TVs, Keep the money on you at all times, Allow people to register for whatever events they want up front (i.e. don't make them come back later; this requires setting up each event ahead of time), If you need to collect a venue fee, add another event in tio that keeps track of who's paid the venue fee, bring as many $1s as you can, and don't offer to break bills for people unless they're doing so they can pay to enter (helps with providing accurate payout), bring as many TVs/Setups as you can yourself or your close friends can, set up your registration table so that it's difficult to get behind, if you have a monitor you can use for your laptop, bring that and have tio display the bracket on that so that people can see the bracket w/o having to see what you're doing, write up an extremely accurate rule set well in advance and stick to it (see the LoLiS circuit thread if you want a good template for a melee/brawl tourney), when assigning matches to TVs, point out specific ones for the players to play at, don't allow people to opt to not play on a given tv (unless it's a flat panel, in which case it shouldn't be used for the tourney), get as much local advertising as you can (i.e. posters/fliers), be sure to have a room with lots of plugs, bring extension cords and at least one plug strip, Bring a laptop to run tio on (DUH), If you can, provide a 30-45 minute lunch break, check the LoLiS thread for what order to run events in: parallel melee (doubles -> Singles) and brawl (singles pools -> doubles -> singles bracket)

those are just a few tips that come to mind. Be sure to have fun, and make sure everyone else has fun, while providing the fairest environment you can.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
What I find amazing about Tjoe's sig is that he actually lives in both those gifs. (I'm assuming he grabs the ledge on the battlefield one, right?)
Fox going under stage and living? That ain't Falco.

And guise, would you trade your Upsmash to have Kirby's Fsmash? Personally I'd prefer Fox's Upsmash as Kirby, though he really couldn't make it work like Fox can because he doesn't have the speed. But basically I'm saying Fox's Upsmash is better :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdeEudGEmbE#t=7m26s

Snake wouldn't survive Fox's Upsmash at 125%, would he?
edit: and yes, it was fresh.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
Have fun with that.

Software:
http://allisbrawl.com/tio/

It's free, and it's what everyone uses.

Tips:
Make sure to keep everything running as quickly as possible, make efficient use of TVs, Keep the money on you at all times, Allow people to register for whatever events they want up front (i.e. don't make them come back later; this requires setting up each event ahead of time), If you need to collect a venue fee, add another event in tio that keeps track of who's paid the venue fee, bring as many $1s as you can, and don't offer to break bills for people unless they're doing so they can pay to enter (helps with providing accurate payout), bring as many TVs/Setups as you can yourself or your close friends can, set up your registration table so that it's difficult to get behind, if you have a monitor you can use for your laptop, bring that and have tio display the bracket on that so that people can see the bracket w/o having to see what you're doing, write up an extremely accurate rule set well in advance and stick to it (see the LoLiS circuit thread if you want a good template for a melee/brawl tourney), when assigning matches to TVs, point out specific ones for the players to play at, don't allow people to opt to not play on a given tv (unless it's a flat panel, in which case it shouldn't be used for the tourney), get as much local advertising as you can (i.e. posters/fliers), be sure to have a room with lots of plugs, bring extension cords and at least one plug strip, Bring a laptop to run tio on (DUH), If you can, provide a 30-45 minute lunch break, check the LoLiS thread for what order to run events in: parallel melee (doubles -> Singles) and brawl (singles pools -> doubles -> singles bracket)

those are just a few tips that come to mind. Be sure to have fun, and make sure everyone else has fun, while providing the fairest environment you can.

thanks ^.^

i'll keep that al in mind.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
speaking of freezing, i finally put that aftermarket CPU cooler to use today. Overclocked my i7 from 2.66GHz to 3.33GHz, meaning HD video rendering that used to take ~25 min now takes 19 min, and my temps only rise 4C, no increase in voltage means minimal change in power usage.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Can't wait til I get a car.

And a license.

I'd be able to drive out to all sorts o' tourneys, which is perfect with CS' latest explosion.

Zeton

Smash Lord
NNID
ZetonX
Just don't drive dumb....I've been consistent with going to a lot of tournaments, and I've almost been in so many wrecks due to other maniacs driving.

(Thank you fast instincts and reflexes)

I swear one time I had to literally do a barrel roll just to avoid a head on collision.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Green Greens normally isn't banned? O_o
It's banned in Brawl, usually.
....what's up with that?

But yeah, m2k, ally, chudat, me, you guys HAVE to go :O

SCOTU

Smash Hero
it says single stage on random o.o

dont they do stage striking >.>?
The original way that Melee was ran was to have a set of neutrals that were roughly even between all characters (turns out there's actually about 4 of these, but momentum in the community is pretty heavy), so 6 stages were chosen as neutrals. Since they're "neutral" it doesn't matter which one gets played on. It turns out the game has a built in quick method for choosing one of them while providing a fair system and variation, and rewarding ability to play on all neutrals well. That was clearly the obvious choice in the early days of melee. Later in it's history, the stage striking system was proposed, but never really caught on because everyone was used to doing random.

However, when brawl was released, we decided it was worth bring back the stage striking system for the new game (plenty of new players, no one was used to anything in brawl, etc), and that caught on because it's a good system. While Melee officially still runs the random select out of historical reasons, many other systems have been used at melee tourneys since brawl's release. One of these is the same stage strike system used in brawl, one of them was random, but instead of getting 1 ban, you get 2 bans, only one of which you can use on a neutral stage, and a system that I proposed and nearly caught on: Hybrid stage strike (stage strike 4 out of 7 stages away and random between the remaining 3).

/History Lesson

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
meh, it was only 110%. Add another 10 percent to that and he won't survive, unless maybe his DI is supergodly.

125%, should be guaranteed, right?

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
do names count as the same if they have different capitols >.>
cause some super noob how hasnt been on in over a year has "Uzi" so could "UZI"work >.>?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
do names count as the same if they have different capitols >.>
cause some super noob how hasnt been on in over a year has "Uzi" so could "UZI"work >.>?
There's nothing stopping you from trying. I know a while back I got my name changed from scotu to SCOTU because when I signed up i thought username would be case sensative on login, and I didn't want to type in all caps every time to log in. Later i stopped logging in all the time, and i found out login isn't case sensative then I got it changed.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
im gonna learn to play the guitar

and sing light a love song =3
I'll be looking forward to it :D.
fail -.-

i had to change my signature, kinda funny i had it for sooooooo long and many mods saw it before one finaly made me change it
Tell them Sasuke said it was okay!

And sheeeeet, bandwidth exceeded for this month. Toronto Joe, I think your sig is about to suffer unless you download it and re-upload it yourself.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
^ I like your old name better tbh...

And heeeey guys, um... actually nvm... it's personal.

Does anyone else miss matchup discussion? I liked being able to actually do things on these boards, except wait for an occasional social post not pertaining to anything in particular...

Zeton

Smash Lord
NNID
ZetonX
Everytime we start up a matchup thread the opposing side comes in and starts claiming it's a 60 40 or worse against our favor...No matter how hard we try to discuss, their ignorance will prevail...

(Till the pro fox mains beat them in tournament.)

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Matchup discussion on character boards is ********. At this point, most of the relevant talk is in backrooms (whether character or general) and between good players. Why would you want to argue with low level players who don't understand the game? I'm tired of correcting stupidity.

Asce

Smash Apprentice
Matchup discussion on character boards is ********. At this point, most of the relevant talk is in backrooms (whether character or general) and between good players. Why would you want to argue with low level players who don't understand the game? I'm tired of correcting stupidity.
If thats the case then will the Back room be posting the results of their discussions for other people to reference? If we aren't doing a MU thread it would be nice to get the MU info from somewhere but where else is there ya know?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
so that big tourney this weekend

For some reason, I really don't feel like going. :/

I had a brief idea where I would go, and entered as "The Masked Fighter" like Genkai in Yu Yu Hakusho, and to protect my identity I would use Fox the entire tournament (default color, not the purply one I usually use) and I would obviously wear a mask and stuff, and I'd use a Wiimote+Nunchuk if I had to since I normally use GCC, and yeah I'd win and people would be like "who IS that :O?"

But I'm not doing that.

Top Bottom