• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Feelings on MK and the MK ban after Apex

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmx

Smash Lord
"The Lgl was placed because of MK.
To mask this fact; they also implemented a 50 ledge grab limit on every other character.
That was his point."

Do you have any proof for this? Why not remove the LGL for every other character then and see how it turns out?

ATT:

John I looked at your revised graph. It appears MK indeed wins well over 40% if we take away any secondaries that might have been used. I was wrong about that part. Now the question becomes, how much does a character have to win to be ban worthy?

He's the best character in the game. Of course he's going to win the most.
But this is why we said limit stages and suddenly MK isn't as dominant. Now of course your counter argument is going to be we are imposing limits on the game to cater to MK. But as it's already been explained by two others, a more conservative stage list will be beneficial in other ways.

I repeat: Winning due to the stage instead of player skill doesn't seem fair for competitive play.

Cassio

Smash Master
@john Ok, carry on then, lol. Although there was an interesting discussion from URC members in the thread about the ban where we came to the conclusion subjective opinions and decisions played a pivotal role, not that that dismisses what your statement as well just thought it was worth noting.

Also Ive yet to read shadows posts and Im all the happier for it, lmao. Dude, shorten your posts, nothing worth explaining should be that long, and Johns essentially said the same thing in half the words from what I can tell (no offense but chill on the length).

Auspher in my head I say sphere thats why I added the e, rofl.

Cassio

Smash Master
Well Im glad that wasnt your criteria, but I think a lot of people (and a lot of pros) do shape their opinions almost entirely on that. Not that thats yours or pro-bans fault, but its generally why Ive stopped caring about the "surgical nerfs" argument.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
"The Lgl was placed because of MK.
To mask this fact; they also implemented a 50 ledge grab limit on every other character.
That was his point."

Do you have any proof for this? Why not remove the LGL for every other character then and see how it turns out?
Considering that the only character that is actually worthy of any limitation ont he ledge is MetaKnight, yes, that alone would speak for itself.

There is absolutely no reason that Sonic, Ganondorf, Falco, Fox or the rest of the cast should be limited on the ledge.
They weren't limited when Plank first showed MetaKnight's ledge grab shenanigans, so there was obviously no need for it now.

It was only implemented just so it wouldn't look so bad.
If anything that just makes it look worse to anyone who plays the game.

The closest that could be argued as deserving a ledge grab limit was G&W, but there are many, many ways of getting to him and stopping the ledge camping, and he lacks the speed and flexibility that MetaKnight possesses to be able to restart the ledge stall.

John I looked at your revised graph. It appears MK indeed wins well over 40% if we take away any secondaries that might have been used. Now the question becomes, how much does a character have to win to be ban worthy?
There is no perfect number for determining how much a character must win to be considered ban worthy.
It is a combination of how much they win, as well as their capabilities.
When you take into account MetaKnight's dominance, his powerful defensive game; including when its been limited by the Lgl slightly; it does indeed bring his legality into question.

After three years, it was felt that MetaKnight was ban worthy.
We shouldn't limit the game for the sake of one character.
That hinders other character's unnecessarily and such changes should be done only if there is an issue with the stage itself.

We should remove stages only when the stages themselves are a problem.
For example, 75m is a stage that is banworthy due to the many, many hazards as well as ability to circle camp.

I repeat: Winning due to the stage instead of player skill doesn't seem fair for competitive play.
There has been nothing to indicate those stages in themselves are a hindrance to competitive gameplay.

I do not disagree with your logic, I merely disagree with the stages you are pointing towards.

@Cassio: Quit your QQing about long posts. So lazy.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I could say you're too lazy to summarize your points. :troll:

zmx

Smash Lord
DK has won because of planking before. We all know the most notorious example.
So you can't say a LGL is only good to keep MK in check.

ATT: Tesh/Bam

If you are reading this topic, it was you I believe that brought up footstooling MK while he's planking. You claimed to have done it numerous times. Care to elaborate or make a video? Even I am pushed to think it shouldn't be possible.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
John I looked at your revised graph. It appears MK indeed wins well over 40% if we take away any secondaries that might have been used. I was wrong about that part. Now the question becomes, how much does a character have to win to be ban worthy?

He's the best character in the game. Of course he's going to win the most.
Remember that this was not the foundation for the pro-ban argument, but rather one of those extra bits of information to satisfy people who prefer... simpler reasoning(mostly people who do not generally frequent Metagame and Ruleset). Both sides of an argument generally do this.

Some people also just wouldn't accept the banning of Ganon if he were the one being randomly limited by the ruleset, but retained all of his ****iness, so it is important in a sense to also show the character's dominance just to satisfy some people who prefer... more complicated reasoning.

But as it's already been explained by two others, a more conservative stage list will be beneficial in other ways.

That's actually very controversial. As far as Delfino and Frigate, at the very least, no one really feels that they fall into the league of bannable, as they are very interesting counterpick stages, each with their own unique qualities.

On that AiB blog that I linked you to earlier, only a very small proportion of people voted to ban Delfino(Frigate wasn't on the list of choices), so it's something to keep in mind.

RC and Brinstar are more controversial, but there seems to be close to a 50-50 split about keeping those stages legal in a MK banned environment, and there doesn't really seem to be much wrong with the stages themselves, outside of the threat of MK. Some characters get some strong qualities on this stage, but that's a counterpick quality, y'know?

Just keep in mind that I concede that, if MK HAD to be legal and had no chance to be banned ever again, I would support the restriction of the stagelist and ruleset(and probably quit the game too lol) in the ways that most of anti-ban feels the ruleset should be changed, so the argument really comes down to whether or not it's a competitively better idea to mess around with the ruleset or just ban MK.

JTsm

Smash Master
TO's should definitely start experimenting with the Japanese stage list. I wish I can do it myself, but unfortunately I am really busy. There should definitely be some data for a 3 stage-only ruleset (Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville). Too bad MK is banned to do any real testing.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I could say you're too lazy to summarize your points. :troll:
King's are different from pauper's as their words can destroy a man.

DK has won because of planking before. We all know the most notorious example.
So you can't say a LGL is only good to keep MK in check.

ATT: Tesh/Bam
Yeah, against Olimar, who has just as few options as Falco does against defense ledge play.

If you are reading this topic, it was you I believe that brought up footstooling MK while he's planking. You claimed to have done it numerous times. Care to elaborate or make a video? Even I am pushed to think it shouldn't be possible.
It isn't.
DMG posted a topic with frame data and did an explanation on why MK's ledge play is so incredibly powerful.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
I already said this, no need to re-iterate it.

No.
The primary issue with MetaKnight is that he does have a broken aspect to him which reduces the competitiveness of the game significantly, primarily, his ledge game.

Many attempts were placed on a global scale to hinder his ledge gameplay; let's not lie and say its ledge grabbing as a whole either; but they still cold not hinder it due to his capabilities to avoid the ledge grab limit entirely.

Let alone that there were many, many, many issues with the lgl as well.
This, compupld with many different changes and suggestions concerning the ruleset concerning the character was a clear indication that the character was causing problems.

Considering this continued for over 3 years, and his dominance only increased, provided an indication that banning the character was more likely the best solution, rather tha continously creating strife within the gaming community with faulty rule sets.

After all, the ones who only truly endorsed the terrible LGL idea were staunchly anti-ban and had made it clear they had no desire to change their stance.

Except that the Japanese players beat their own Japanese players at the end using MetaKnight.

So the number one player who is Japanese, beat his fellow Japanese player's, using MetaKnight. See the problem? You're essentially trying to draw an anti-ban conclusion, despite the fact that it is still MetaKnight who won.

The logic is too great of a stretch because your argument can be used against you.
You say the japanese have an advanced metagame and in their country he doesn't dominate, but then again, they came to what is equivalent to a world class tournament and won with MetaKnight.

See the problem? It's a dual edged argument.

Let alone that there is no method of proving flat out that the Japanese are far ahead in the metagame based off one tournament, especially as their ruleset is different from our own.
It isn't the case with MvC2 where the United States dominated the Japanese more often than once a year.

No.
FOr one, the issue in itself has been discussed for over three years.
So I would appreciate it if you did not insinuate the community has being so quick to jump for a ban, when it has been very, very conservative in terms of its views on stages and characters.

What would the longer time do exactly?
In fact, what would be the point in changing the timer?
In fact, why are we changing the ruleset for the sake of ONE character.
You do not enact global changes for a single character.
That was part of the problem for the last three years in the first place.
For three years, people searched for an answer to metaKnight.

This went from characters, to the extreme case of the LGL and yet it was still an issue.

You can't simply say "oh hey guys look, Apex, a Japanese MetaKnight won, but they don't ban MetaKnight, clearly, this means we are behind in the metagame and that MetaKnight is perfectly legal! After all, in their tournaments he doesn't dominate!"

When you look at such an argument with no prior knowledge on the issue, it makes one ask, "Are you that desperate to have MetaKnight legal that you would use such a bizarre argument?"

No one has solved the issue regarding the ledge problem by the way. I've been waiting for a very, very long time and still no answer.

Oh christ...

Those stages many believe (as this very topic suggests) shouldn't be legal anyways with or without MK.
Primarily because many of those individual's simply do not like the stages.
Those stages are perfectly fine to play on without MetaKnight dominating them.
there has been noa rgument made against them outside of MetaKnight being legal.

It does. Nothing has been shown that Brinstar and RC have such ane ffect on gameplay as to make skill less important.

Ness is a bad character.
this entire statement sounds like on big QQ over the stage and over the hard work that's done by the under dog character.
They are an underdog for a reason.

Name them.
I dare you to cite DK vs Olimar.
Or to cite G&W.
In fact, placing a global rule insinuates that there is a global problem.
Planking is not a global problem.
Ergo, it shouldn't be global.
Furthermore many of the power planking games are matchup specific and the result of a character's inherent flaws.

If Pit is gliding under the stage, its not an issue. Pit has many flaws and can be countered.
When MetaKnight does it, there is a difference.
Just because a character is capable of doing something, does not insinuate the tactic in itself is broken.
Many character's can rush under the stage, doesn't mean they aren't terribly vlnerable doing so.

The behavior of items is an uncontrollable random.
Thusly they are shut off to prevent the loss of skill as a requirement in a tournament.
There is a difference between banning items and then trying to limit grabbing the ledge which is a basic part of gameplay.

It isn't refuted at all.
The behavior of items as well as the fact that some of them provide an extreme advantage to character's resulted in them being banned.
Unless of course you believe we should play with smash balls.

Provide the exact quote and provide the data that contradicts the year's worth of data that john collected.

Falco cannot counter planking very well.
Falco doesn't have great air speed.
Falco cannot change direction in the air easily.

It's easy to cite weaknesses and then ignore the strengths that make up for them.
You might as well try and say that Wario loses to Ganon due to being death grabbed.

He admitted it was speculation.
Sooo moot point.

If a million people notice you've been bickering about MetaKnight and have been editing the ruleset to counter MetaKnight, and still failt o dos o, I imagine the feelings regarding the character would indeed support pro-ban, which was his point.

And I refuted yours.
I ignored parts I agreed upon/did not need to address

[/QUOTE]

How does Japan counter MKs ledge game?

If MK is so over powered and Japan seems beyond us in the metagame then why didn't they ban him yet?

My argument can not be used against me. It has nothing to do with the character who won. It has to do with the country. They won with MK. But MK is allowed to win in my book.

Your confusing best character with unfair character and I have said time and time again he is not unfair, but yes he is the best and those two are not the same. They can be but they don't HAVE to be.

If MK was so overpowered then how come he is legal in Japans more advanced and more competitive metagame?

Japan did something right. Perhaps it is in there timer? Perhaps it is in there stage list? Perhaps it is in there LGL if they have one? Some how there rules kept a competitively viable game with all the characters. So much so that when they came here and had a larger stagelist they still whooped us. There metagame allowed them to increase and become better players and still kept MK viable. It is superior in results and perhaps even in fairness (assuming like me you feel a character ban should be a last resort). Why wouldn't you emulate it?

Ban him if you want. And make up any bogus rules as to why. Like hey, if a character makes 40+ percent of the money they must be banned. But then honestly,

We are just a community that Johns, not one that tries to actually get better. Metagames should promote growth not fake falsified growth. Our current metagame is at a standstill, but Japans is ahead. And I feel it would be logical to emulate them or work off what they have done before banning a character.

:phone:

Omni

BRoomer
Smaller stagelist would be godlike.

King's are different from pauper's as their words can destroy a man.
Yeah, but it would probably destroy their eyesight first.

Me reading one of ShadowLink's post. ShadowLink on the right.

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
my only problem with mk is as a spectator its ****ing boring to watch a billion bender bats flying around the screen.. im from uk and we dont have this problem, cos we cool and main non flying rabies spreaders.. maybe people should have some self control and stop playing meta "because they have to, to deal with other metas"

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Smaller stagelist would be godlike.
That's you're just not pro at adapting.

Yeah, but it would probably destroy their eyesight first.

Me reading one of ShadowLink's post. ShadowLink on the right.
D=

How does Japan counter MKs ledge game?

If MK is so over powered and Japan seems beyond us in the metagame then why didn't they ban him yet?
SF2T Akuma says hi.
They soft banned him.
Japan has rarely banned characters from usage in a game.

There is also a different cultural atmosphere, as I recall correctly, they also do not play smash for much money if any.
Furthermore, the gameplay of their MetaKnight's is different from those in the U.S.

This is reflected by their tierlist. Or would you say they are so advanced int he metagame that Sonic is truly that bad?

My argument can not be used against me. It has nothing to do with the character who won.It has to do with the country. They won with MK. But MK is allowed to win in my book
The discussion is about MetaKnight, so it has very much to do with who won and with what character.

You cannot simply seperate the two for your own convenience.
To ignore the fact that one of the Japanese player's, whom you and many other's claim have a much highly advanced metagame, won with MetaKnight, is just ignorant.

Your confusing best character with unfair character and I have said time and time again he is not unfair, but yes he is the best and those two are not the same. They can be but they don't HAVE to be.
Find where I made sch an argument please?
I think you meant to quote CO18 or something since I don't disagree with you on this statement.

If MK was so overpowered then how come he is legal in Japans more advanced and more competitive metagame?
Proof that they are much more advanced?
That they have a more competitive metagame?

You're again trying to draw a conclusion based off a SINGLE tournament.

It sounds much more like you're looking for a reason for MetaKnight to be legal, rather thn trying to evaluate him from a neutral perspective. To the point that you're going so far as to make claims based off a single tournament.

You're right, this community does complain alot. It is in a person's nature to complain with something that frustrates them, even more so if they do not understand it.

The entire community dedicated over three years towards dealing with this character, so to make any argument that the community didn't try to get better, did not make any attempts to advance the metagame and simply complained for three years straight is ignorant, and an insult to many high level players.

Oh I will agree though, that LGL rule is bogus.

NNID
Budget_Player
my only problem with mk is as a spectator its ****ing boring to watch a billion bender bats flying around the screen.. im from uk and we dont have this problem, cos we cool and main non flying rabies spreaders.. maybe people should have some self control and stop playing meta "because they have to, to deal with other metas"
To anyone saying this: did you watch melee grand finals?

Boring as ****? No. Nairo vs. Otori was, while not the most exciting thing I have ever seen, still incredibly impressive, and there really wasn't that much double MK on the stream. The little that was was mostly showcasing two amazing players playing a fast-paced battle of position and wits, many with very different playstyles. Claiming that watching Otori vs. Nairo could ever get boring is ridiculous. You want to ban something because it's boring? Ban Hungrybox.

zmx

Smash Lord
To anyone saying this: did you watch melee grand finals?

Boring as ****? No. Nairo vs. Otori was, while not the most exciting thing I have ever seen, still incredibly impressive, and there really wasn't that much double MK on the stream. The little that was was mostly showcasing two amazing players playing a fast-paced battle of position and wits, many with very different playstyles. Claiming that watching Otori vs. Nairo could ever get boring is ridiculous. You want to ban something because it's boring? Ban Hungrybox.
Nairo vs Otori was one of the best brawl sets I've ever seen period.

Spacing, reads, tech skill, combos, creativity, suspense, it had it all.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Yea, matches being boring is a terrible argument against MK. I think watching Sonic spindash around the stage constantly is even more boring. In fact, I like watching (and playing) MK dittos. However, it doesn't help MK that many people hate seeing him no matter how technical (Otori/Nairo) the set was.

Omni

BRoomer
People hate the bat because he's the one to hate.

Cassio

Smash Master
Those pika techniques were discovered here, but no one uses them because they were thought to be too hard to be useful. ESAM used them a bit back when they were discovered, but then he stopped. Too bad that guy doesnt main pika.

I actually enjoyed Nairo vs Otoni, Otoris MK is way more entertaining than the typical BS we see here. Although I think part of it was that no one was as dominant as m2k at the ditto.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Even though they don't have any true Pika mains in Japan, it still seems like they know the match up. They made that QAC lock look more like a tech chase

zmx

Smash Lord
People hate the bat because he's the one to hate.
"Because he's the hero that the Smash community deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a Dark Knight..."

Omni

BRoomer
I was really hoping someone would tag team my post. *high-five*

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
8 pages and so far the only arguments anti-ban have come up with are "MKs got destroyed by a japanese olimar" and "america got destroyed by the japanese (lolololo)".

Maybe by page 30 we'll actually have something concrete worth replying to.
Here's to hoping this thread is at least about as productive as the other ones in tactical discussion!

Omni

BRoomer
If that's the only thing you've seen then you're obviously not paying attention.

JTsm

Smash Master
I thought the anit-ban argument was, since the US's metagame is still very under-developed, we can't ban mk since it's too soon to do so. They based that argument off of the Japanese having better players than the U.S. which is true. So why stop it short, if the Japan has their best players as IC's and Olimar?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
If that's the only thing you've seen then you're obviously not paying attention.
Oh no, don't worry. I've definitely noticed all of the snide remarks and intelligence shots that also usually accompany these threads. I was just being nice and not bringing those up.
You're welcome.

I thought the anit-ban argument was, since the US's metagame is still very under-developed, we can't ban mk since it's too soon to do so. They based that argument off of the Japanese having better players than the U.S. which is true. So why stop it short, if the Japan has their best players as IC's and Olimar?
You say this as if the results were

1. japan
2. japan
3. japan
4. japan
5. japan
5. japan
7. japan
7. japan

Except they weren't.
The results were fairly evenly mixed.

Saying Japan as a whole has better players than us is a huge over-exaggeration. Nairo went pretty much even with otori, and took out nietono from winners. The supposedly "on another level" players compared to ours.

2 top spots being taken by the japanese just means they outplayed us. Same would be said if it were ANYBODY ELSE in those positions. If the 2 tops spots were US players the japanese wouldn't be going "Wow, they're totally better than us! Looks like we need to re-examine how we play this game...". They would go "Welp, we got OUTPLAYED. Looks like we need to work harder next time to beat them." That is all there is to it.

You're (and by this I don't necessarily mean you specifically) just making excuses for the top players who weren't prepared and were eliminated sooner than they probably should've been. Plus of course sensationalizing this and turning it into a pitchfork and torch run at the ban.

Cassio

Smash Master
lol, all the japanese players that made bracket were in top 16. Its not an exaggeration.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer

"That made bracket" ... aka 6. Which means half of the japanese didn't even qualify for brackets.

There were 3 japanese in top 8, compared to 5 US players.
6 in top 16, compared to 10.

Yeah, you're still over-exaggerating. Largely.

I actually retract my earlier statement about the results being fairly evenly mixed. Americans did marginally better in every area save the top 3.

And I know that someone's gonna come in and say the obligatory "yeah but that's because there were so many more US players than japan," but please spare me. Our top players went against their top players, and even while considering the entrant difference there is absolutely no data to support that their top players are overall considerably better than ours.

I should know by now that making serious posts in here is a waste of time.

zmx

Smash Lord
Except their being more top US players is a perfectly valid argument.

We KNOW that there are other top players in Japan who have beaten the likes of Otori/Nietono. This isn't speculation, it's already happened. That was the first tourny Otori got first. This is more than enough proof that not all their top players were present and you'd have to be extremely arrogant to even suggest this. Thus the odds were not slightly but HEAVILY in the favor of the US to win.

Did I mention it was also on a stage list Japan isn't familiar with?

Try again.

Edit: Also Ally is Canadian. So that leaves 4 US players.

Edit: The Japanese also won doubles. In other words they also did better in that "area".

For someone that thinks it's a waste of their precious time to post here, you sure didn't bother to check your facts.

Chuee

Smash Hero

"That made bracket" ... aka 6. Which means half of the japanese didn't even qualify for brackets.
That's false, only 2 Japanese players didn't make bracket.
Karamity (3rd seed in 2nd round pools) and Yukho who is mostly a doubles player.

There were 3 japanese in top 8, compared to 5 US players.
6 in top 16, compared to 10.
That's bull****.
They had 8 PEOPLE COME HERE. The 6 that are considered top players made top 16. Their best player didn't attend and a lot of their higher level players didn't attend either, while ALL of our top players attended.

Our top players went against their top players, and even while considering the entrant difference there is absolutely no data to support that their top players are overall considerably better than ours.
Maybe you missed Nietono and Otori.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Except their being more top US players is a perfectly valid argument.

We KNOW that there are other top players in Japan who have beaten the likes of Otori/Nietono. This isn't speculation, it's already happened. That was the first tourny Otori got first.

Did I mention it was also on a stage list Japan isn't familiar with?

Try again.
The US players had to deal with a limited stagelist that they otherwise would never have bothered with. Rainbow Cruise is a pretty cool level, and a lot of people like Brinstar. Stadium 1 is probably my favorite starter. So lame.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Called it.

This thread is going (and continue to go) nowhere just like every other thread in tactical.

People are going to just continue to evade valid points and ad hominem the crap out of every single statement anybody tries to make with any hope of being taken seriously.

Have fun talking in circles for 12,000 posts until someone decides to close this mess.
I'm out.

/salt
/ragequit

zmx

Smash Lord
Called it.

This thread is going (and continue to go) nowhere just like every other thread in tactical.

People are going to just continue to evade valid points and ad hominem the crap out of every single statement anybody tries to make with any hope of being taken seriously.

Have fun talking in circles for 12,000 posts until someone decides to close this mess.
I'm out.

/salt
/ragequit
Let me rephrase in case I was unclear:
Their top players were not against our top players. SOME of their top players were against ALL of our top players.
I refuted what you said and this is your response?

"lol ima run away cuz i dont have a counter argument"

zmx

Smash Lord
The US players had to deal with a limited stagelist that they otherwise would never have bothered with. Rainbow Cruise is a pretty cool level, and a lot of people like Brinstar. Stadium 1 is probably my favorite starter. So lame.
This is more than made up for the fact that the Japanese had to deal with stages like Lylat, Delphino and Frigate. Wouldn't you agree? At least NA didn't have to deal with anything they never use in competitive play.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Sorto the reason that happened is because in the US we rely on powerful tactics and characters to achieve success. So everyone flocks to powerful characters without focusing as much as they should on personal improvement. I dont think thats just the brawl/smash community either. In Japan they focus on their skill as players and being able to win on their personal skill. Thats why I think a temp ban could be good, and hopefully try to shift that mentality.

Mister Eric I still remember your funny post in the ban annoucement thread, lol. You should make one about Ocean.
I agree with the first part but the second part is where I disagree. AMerica's mentality is the problem. People will not stick to their character/personal improvement and evolve it, they will simply try and learn a counter pick character.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
8 pages and so far the only arguments anti-ban have come up with are "MKs got destroyed by a japanese olimar" and "america got destroyed by the japanese (lolololo)".

Maybe by page 30 we'll actually have something concrete worth replying to.
Here's to hoping this thread is at least about as productive as the other ones in tactical discussion!
If you want concrete then read my stuff.

Synopsis.

Japan beat U.S. because Japan is at the same or higher level of play then U.S.

In Japan, MK is legal and they do NOT believe he should be banned.

Japan at a higher level of play (very least equal) showed that a competitive metagame can exist with MK being legal.

A character ban should be an almost last resort. If MK can be found to not be overpowering in Japan, then he should logically be able to work in America since they are playing the same game.

Also, it is not fair to argue a characters legality and viability when there is arguable proof that the metagame can still evolve as shown by our loss to Japan.

At a higher level of play MK may not be Broken. And as sad as it is to say, Japan is not proof, but is almost proof that getting better at the game as a community is an option.

Till we are the peak country at the metagame it is unfair any character bans and perhaps adopting and working off of other countries rulesets would be a decent resolution.

Japan is at a higher level of play and they say MK is totally fine. Its like a scrub arguing with a pro that the IC chaingrabs are broken. At scrub level they are. The scrub should just get better.

:phone:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This is more than made up for the fact that the Japanese had to deal with stages like Lylat, Delphino and Frigate. Wouldn't you agree? At least NA didn't have to deal with anything they never use in competitive play.
Starters
Battlefield - Japan starter
Final Destination - Japan starter
Lylat Cruise - Japan counterpick
Smashville - Japan starter
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl) - Japan counterpick

Counterpicks
Battleship Halberd - banned in Japan
Pokemon Stadium 1 - either this or Delfino is a Japan counterpick
Castle Siege - banned in Japan
Delfino Plaza - see PS1
Frigate Orpheon - banned in Japan

There are either three or four stages out of 11 that Japan does not normally play on regularly, of which two of the three you mentioned are not actually stages they "never use in competitive play" and the last one was counterpicked immensely against Nietono during the one tournament where they ran the Apex stage list.

C.J.

Smash Master
Aisight, would you happen to know why Castle Siege is banned in Japan?

It's one of my favorite stages and is, in my opinion, one of the most balanced stages in the game. I'm very interested in the reasoning for it not being legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom