• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FAQ - The Why of Competitive Rules

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
FAQ - The Why of Competitive Rules

Here I hope to answer common questions that have been asked lately about advanced techniques and tournament rules. Updated sections in cyan.

What are tournament rules for?

Tournament rules are not rules that all tournament players feel are the correct way to play the game, all the time. They are just the consensus reached among tournament players concerning how to run a tournament and to best test the skills of it's participants. The key here is "skill test", in a general sense. Whether these skills are mental, involving knowing your opponent and endless other things, or physical, involving the muscle memory required to pull off every move in the game, they are still skills that are valuable to test. Brawl involves less muscle memory, but that doesn't mean that muscle memory is a bad thing. It just means that when Brawl players are pitted against each other in a tournament there will be less muscle memory involved.

It's no fun losing all the time to people who use these glitches!

Well, *I completely agree*. Except for a few individuals, losing all the time with no chance of winning sucks for both the loser (it's frustrating) and the winner (it's boring). How many professional chess players do you see playing 8 year old kids? Not that many, because it's boring and we all know what would happen. When playing chess, then, we have a whole rating system for each player so that this sort of thing doesn't happen and beginner players don't have to play chess masters.

Now, notice, that this is separating the masters and the beginners into two different worlds. They might never get to play each other at all! Is there no way to for a master and a beginner to get together and... play a game? Is the professional SSB player forever removed from the average player, never able to play any SSB game with them at all? NO!

There are two simple options for when professionals and casuals want to play a game together. First, you might play a different game entirely. If you friend is a master at Chess, you might decide you want to play Monopoly instead for awhile. Or you might try mixing up the rules. If your friend is awesome at chess you might try Fischer chess. In SSB, we have an obvious thing to do to mix up the rules: Items! *This* is really what items and all that randomness are for and can do!

So why don't tournament players use items? Why do they ban my favorite stages?

I just want to make clear that the argument against the use of items only applies for tournament play (and any practicing for such a tournament). Otherwise, you do what you think is fun, because the point is to purely to have fun.

Again, remember that tournaments are created so that competitive players can measure and compare their skills against other players. This is also fun for lots of people! But it requires some special rules to be set up so that it's the best player that will win.

For example, on some stages, professional players can effectively game the system and do REALLY CHEAP STUFF. In Hyrule Castle in Melee, your opponent, if he chose Fox, could hit you once and run away until the timer ran out and ended the match in his favor. You have no chance of hitting him back (unless you're Captain Falcon I believe) to regain the lead. Imagine if in soccer you could score a goal and then just run away from the field with the ball until the game ended. This is obviously dumb and kills the game. It's for reasons akin to this that some stages are *completely* banned, and other stages are slightly restricted in their use. In soccer we set what's out of bounds, in SSB we set a stage "out of bounds" or under slightly restricted use.

Items (and this includes some stages too) are a random element. Imagine, again, that you're playing soccer. Now imagine that there's a 50% chance of you not scoring a goal when the ball goes into the net, determined by the flip of a coin. It has to be tails for you to actually score. Now imagine losing because you got 10 heads, no tails and the other team got 1 tails when they got a goal. Now, how freakin' lame is that? WAY LAME. It just kills the competitiveness of the game, you see? One team won not because it was actually better than the other team and had more skills, but because they got lucky on a coin toss. You wouldn't have the World Cup if that's how soccer worked today. People would hate soccer rather than becoming rabid fans crazy and rioting over it! Err.. ok. Don't go biting people who hate Brawl, please. ^.^v

Again, items' greatest strength is in mixing up the game so that the average player and professionals can play each other AND HAVE FUN. If you have a friend who's really good at the game, and you like item matches, if he's a friend at all he'll play some with you (assuming he's not grumpy), or at least suggest a different game you could play together (like going from Chess to Apples to Apples).

I don't think we should be encouraging Brawl glitches to be found and exploited. Why are we?

Originally in soccer people only shot goals with the front of their feet. This was all fine and good, people had fun playing it and loved to play it this way, even at a professional level. Eventually, someone discovered that you could curve the ball by not hitting it dead on, making it a lot harder for a goalie to defend the goal. Enter Madam Controversy, stage right.

The fact is that with any set of rules, they are never so exhaustive that no one will ever find new ways to do things within the game that no one had thought of before. This is true of *all* games. The only difference between Melee and a sport in this regard is that in sports we are told at age 8 or so, "Well, it's not against the rules", and most sports have been around long enough that many of these controversial things aren't controversial anymore. You don't think curving the ball into the net is cheap because people have by now gotten over it and explained it to you that way when you were 8! If SSB wasn't a shorter-lived video game, and all these glitches of which you speak were treated as just part of the game when you were little, I don't think you'd have a problem with any of them!

Because, however, of the short lifespan of a video game, with the rules mostly defined and enforced by the game itself, many people attack competitive play, saying "they're cheating with glitches, programmers never intended this!" Well, did the creators of soccer directly *intend* that we curve shoot the ball into the goal using the side of our feet? Did the creators of basketball directly *intend* slam dunks? These games evolved to greater things right under their noses! Aren't all these things awesome things that, when someone does them, we say OMG THAT IS SO AWESOME? It still takes skill to control all your muscle movements so that you jump and slam dunk, or to curve the ball into the goal. It still takes skill to control your muscle movements so that your character on screen performs one of these advanced moves.

All of these unintended techniques have all been wonderful additions to their respective games. Sure, you may say that the sheer number of them in Melee is fairly ridiculous, and, yes, it *is* a bit bizarre to watch people sliding around when they wave dash (and perhaps you and I are thankful that Brawl looks better because that isn't going on). But in tournaments those "glitches" are allowed because they are the slam dunks, curve balls and base steals of SSB. People at a professional level have said, "you know, this wasn't exactly intended, but it doesn't break the game and actually encourages competition!"

My friends and I don't edge guard because we think it's cheap. Why do tournament players think otherwise?

The answer is that... it isn't cheap for them. "Cheap" moves and strategies are annoying because they don't seem to have any weaknesses. Have you even heard, say, one of your friends call Fox's lasers cheap when he laser camped? Or Link's Up-B attack? You may know someone who knows how to defeat those "cheap" attacks, you may know how to yourself, or you may discover how to in the future! In fact, these moves actually only *appear* cheap because no one has taught you how to defeat their cheapness.

Edge guarding is the same thing. I've watched a lot of tournament Melee matches, and I tell you that I've seen many players die to edge hogging and guarding... but I've also seen so many return safely despite the efforts of the guarder. Competitive players have learned how to deal with edge hogging and guarding just as well as you may have learned how to deal with Link's Up-B attack, and some even find the edge game to be the most exciting part! So edge guarding for tournament players is not their fate being sealed, it is a fun section of the game in of itself.

It's not that you, as an average player, are too stupid to realize that edge guarding isn't cheap. Some impolite competitive players might say this, but they've had the opportunity to "stand on the shoulders of giants". Many of the most inventive competitive players at the top have already paved the way for them. You just haven't completed learning how to counter any of these cheap moves, whether it's because you don't have the time to or because you're up against a wall and just having a really hard time dealing with it. Whatever the case, edge guarding and edge hogging fall into the same line as the other techniques tournament players use. None of them are impossible to counter or deal with.

Let's take, for example, the technique of Wobbling. For awhile it basically gave Ice Climbers the ability to KO you whenever they grab you. Not cool. So some tournament players banned it (east coast), because it was a technique which many thought too hard to counter and gave the Ice Climber too much of an advantage. However, it has been found that this, too, is counterable. Good smash players can get out of a Wobble, preventing the KO, while they are still under 50%. The ice climbers also have a hard time landing a grab in the first place because of their short grab range, a major hindrance which allows players to avoid their grabs entirely.

Therefore, even this technique, which was banned from many tournaments for awhile, has its own weaknesses that good smashers have been able to use to avoid it.

So tournament players have rhyme and reason behind what moves are cheap, and thus banned, and what moves aren't.

It still provides the edge guarder an advantage! Isn't that unfair?

I would say not. If you think about it, ever little move you make in SSB, whether it's picking up an item or using an attack, gives your character some kind of advantage. Advantages themselves are not a bad thing.

Still, why don't we have these honor rules in tournaments? I think the game is more fun without it!

Soccer, Football, and other sports have all sorts of honor rules which are enforced by referees. By honor rules, I mean rules which are physically possible to break. In soccer, you can pick up the ball and throw it into the goal, but the refs and agreed honor rules stop you. You can't divide yourself to create a team of 20 yous. You can't make Sonic jump 6 times in Brawl, or hit with a punch from the other side of the screen, but you physically can Wobble or select the Hyrule stage when they're banned, those are honor rules.

The problem with having so many honor rules is that it gets impractical. Video games make it easy because they limit the physical capacity of the players to what is allowed by the game world. In other words, the game is like a referee sort of god. This provides a convenient agreement point for tournament rules because... we can't really change them, and more or less they're adequate.

Moreover, the more honor rules you have the greater the need for a ref. It's all fine and dandy when the player accusing the other of edge guarding is telling the truth, but how are you to *know* that there aren't false accusers trying to get their opponents disqualified? How do you settle the dispute without a ref of some kind? You need a ref, someone watching the game do to it!

But the SSB scene isn't big enough for referees. We seriously just can't do it, it's too much work to ref every single match for most tournaments. It's not like soccer where there are only so many countries and they have months and months to play the whole season. Even the biggest SSB tournaments have to be over in just a few days. You just can't ref that many games, it's too slow.

So that's why we default to the physical restrictions, the game itself, as the default ruleset. Because to do anything else is impractical unless you're talking about stage selection or the banning of characters (the latter is something I doubt we'll have to do).

This concludes my FAQ. I hope it has been helpful. If you think something needs clarification or isn't covered concerning why competitive rules are the way they are, please post here and I'll try to add it in when school allows.

Update History:
2/17 - gammar earrors much?!
2/16 - Wobbling details, edgehogging can be fun, a little cleanup and color addition. Kudos to Witchking_of_Angmar, Itakio, and plasmatorture.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Hello God, you win Smashboards for a day, and Brawl, and some cake, and Belgium.
This is one of the greatest threads i have seen in a LONG time.
That I mean about 3 weeks. But that felt like a Looooong time

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Smash would not be where it is today without rules, wether its SWF or MLG.......

drengist

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure that even the English sailormen who invented football knew how to curve the ball, but I understand your point.

Tournament play is very often playing for price money, and the winner has to be the most skilled, not the luckiest.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
nice.

I lol'd at the edge guarding thing though. I didn't realize that there were people who would even consider not edgeguarding on the basis of honor. It would be like a soccer goalie not standing in front of the goal, instead standing off to the side, letting the ball go in because blocking it would be cheap.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure that even the English sailormen who invented football knew how to curve the ball, but I understand your point.
I'm just going off of what a friend told me. I guess I could look that up...

Tournament play is very often playing for price money, and the winner has to be the most skilled, not the luckiest.
It's not the money that's at the essence of competition, though, it's the a test to see who is the most skilled. A tournament where someone wins on the toss of a coin isn't a tournament at all because the most skilled person is not the one who will necessarily win. Did I not make this clear enough, or are you just looking at it from a difference angle?

Very nice, although your reference to wobbling as being broken and giving Ice Climbers too much of an advantage is slightly incorrect. I think if you work on this a little more, this could be sticky worthy and a good introduction for new users, as of now it is "just" very good.
Care to elaborate? What's wrong in my statement there?

blink777

Smash Journeyman
An excellent post. A great read with comprehensive examples and comparisons. It was definitely needed. Great work!

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
That was amazingly well-thought out and written. I feel like I have to respond just to tell you that so you don't feel as if you're written it in vain.

-Ran

Smash Master
This thread is the truth, regardless of what type of game you play. It could be anything from table tops to FPS to fighting games to sports, they all have their nuances that allow players to overachieve. It is the choice of the player to how far they wish to proceed in skill in a game. They can play it as the 'developers intended' or, they can play it where the challenge lays.

Personally? I seek the challenge.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, because football was definitley invented in England and definitley wasn't a game that was popping up in other places worldwide before the English thought of it. :dizzy:

I think the OP should make mention of how, for some players, the edge game (hogging, guarding, and chasing) are the MOST FUN parts of the game and so banning it would impact that a lot too.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Care to elaborate? What's wrong in my statement there?
Mainly that Ice Climbers have no fool proof way to get the grabs necessary to land the wobble. Their limited grab range means that they can't just go about spamming grabs, and they have plenty of other ways to murder you if you get grabbed.

Basically, if you get grabbed, it's your own fault for not being on your toes. The fact that good button mashers can get out below about 50% doesn't help wobbling, either.

There's some more, but I have to go to bed now (german time). Basically, wobbling doesn't brake IC's. In fact, the Smash Back Room held a vote, and the majority was for allowing wobbling. So the suggested rule for tournament hosts is to allow it, and most tournaments (Not Pound 3, I think) allow it.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Well. . . . good read, nothing I didn't know already but nice to see it compacted into one place like this

It does raise one question though, for a good long while I had been under the impression that wobbling required the Icey player in question to de-synch Popo and Nana, i.e. by getting Nana to fall behind Popo in terms of actual ground distance between them. And under this illusion I said to myself "well it's not that broken if your climbers have to be seriously seperated from each other"

But recently enough I learned that Wobbling could be performed out of any Icey grab, and, if the player had mastered Wobbling - which they surely have - then it guaranteed them a KO, and I said to myself "good thing they banned them then", in much the same way as you have above

But the confusing fact is, Wobbling isn't banned, the most recent SBR vote on the issue yielded a resounding "tournament legal". So I guess what I'm asking is - is my understanding of Wobbling flawed? Or have I summed it up pretty accurately above and it's still legal? Either way please, anyone, explain it to me

And apologies to the topic starter for going so far off topic, it's just been puzzling me for a while now and your mention of it above incited me to finally inquire. Good thread anyhow

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Ah, thanks very much Witchking. I will update that when I have more time.

And Risky, the answer is right in front of you. lulz!

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Honestly, even without wobbling, getting grabbed by a decent ice climbers will typically lead to a loss of stock. Adding wobbling makes it less exciting, but isn't all that different.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm fair more impressed with this outlook compared to others I have seen. Made your point clear and kept a mininium on the bashing. Good work...

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I think it should be noted that another reason edge guarding isn't "cheap" is because both players can do it.

Also, to help this thread's chance at becoming a sticky, "I and my friends don't edge guard" should be changed to "my friends and I don't edge guard".

M.K

Level 55
I like this thread, mainly because it speaks to someone not in a harsh "I'm not going to listen to you lalalala" kind of way, but a "Here is our point of view" Kind of way. Thank you!

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Nice post, liked the sports analogies - the whole bringing the game to a new level etc. Non tourney people shouldn't even need to worry about these rules, if they want to join someone else's tourney they would follow their rules, and if they wanted to make a tourney with items that is entirely up to them.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Why hello there, good chap. I just wanted to drop in and tell you that this is quite a smashing thread you have here (no pun intended).

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Updated. Kudos to Witchking_Of_Angmar and plasmatorture for their respective contributions! And Itakio, thanks for that grammar thing, I knew something seemed odd when I typed it...

Added some color to divvy things up and a big bold title.

Itakio said:
I think it should be noted that another reason edge guarding isn't "cheap" is because both players can do it.
I don't think it actually helps. Unfortunately, it just sort of gives the impression to newer players that competitive smash is just a glitchfest. I mean, two people can map hack in Starcraft, or aimbot in Counterstrike, but that doesn't make it right to do so. So I avoided that line of argument, it gets rough.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Nice, though I still say we wait until the Backroom has CODIFIED rules for Brawl, before saying whether stuff should or should not be included in Tournament Matches. Also, I think the Tournament Rules should only be used as a guideline as it is the standard. If both players agree to have Hammers on Hyrule Temple, it should be allowed, IMO.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
While everything in this post is subjective to an extent, it accurately explains the logic that most competative smashers have. I approve, and agree that with some fine tuning this could be one of the best posts (and sticky worthy, might I add) the SWF has seen in a long time.

Bravo.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
THANK YOU!

Noe when someone starts screaming at me about items or whatever I can just link them here. I'm bookmarking this specific post to refer to it in the future.

The only thing that I would have liked you to cover is how items unbalance gameplay. Random explosions, for one. And making the slow characters worse and the fast ones better, etc.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I personally get offended when I'm not edgeguarded. I don't like to be allowed a chance to recover, I don't need it. I'll use my skill to get back on the stage despite your efforts, and if I don't, oh well, you win this time, I'll try again next time.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
You just won the world, the internet and 30 copies of Brawl along with an American and Japanese Wii.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Nice, though I still say we wait until the Backroom has CODIFIED rules for Brawl, before saying whether stuff should or should not be included in Tournament Matches. Also, I think the Tournament Rules should only be used as a guideline as it is the standard. If both players agree to have Hammers on Hyrule Temple, it should be allowed, IMO.
It already is. Tournament rules state that if both players agree to a condition (such as playing on a banned stage or using items) then they are allowed to do so. I've actually used this before, by asking my opponent if he would agree to play on Kongo Jungle(the one with the waterfall and the rock on the right side) with me. It was feakin' awesome. XD

Top Bottom