• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's Weaknesses

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Why don't we use a foxfire/firebird stall anymore? I find myself at time where I could use it. (Using the sweetspot Firebird tech.)

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I can only think of a few obvious ones, really. Of course, his recovery is quite a bit shorter than that of Fox's. Phantasm is very easily punishable and can be devastating if your opponent catches on to your habits (Where you land, when you do it, etc.). Sometimes trying to grab too much will get you punished, although, usually I'm assuming the Jab -> Grab works. Smashes have a little bit of lag, and can be your downfall if you don't connect them all the time. Marth's 0% death, woo. Overall, if you play a cliched Falco style, you can get punished pretty easily. If you mix things up a bit it's much harder for your opponent to read you and get hits in. Good examples of mixed up play are obviously Seth and Sk.

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
Marth's 0% death, woo. Overall, if you play a cliched Falco style, you can get punished pretty easily.

That being said, if you play a cliche Falco, Marth's 0% death shouldn't ever happen. Falco is built around his amazing ability to phase back and forth effortlessly from camper to close-quarters fighter. If you camp all the time, Marth can keep trying to force the grab, but he won't get you, likely.

As for weaknesses, the reflector's lag is a huge weakness. Granted, we don't use it very often (for reasons we can all understand), but this is probably the only move where I can see Falco can be "punished pretty easily."

Falco's lack of OOS options besides a grab really leave him at a disadvantage to a character with good zoning (i.e. Marth), and a character can really capitalize on it.

Firebird is a weakness.

Falco has bad taunts.

He only has two usable aerials, as Uair and Fair are both difficult to pull off and have very little return.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Falco can bair and nair OoS pretty effectively.

Denzi

Smash Master

1. That being said, if you play a cliche Falco, Marth's 0% death shouldn't ever happen. Falco is built around his amazing ability to phase back and forth effortlessly from camper to close-quarters fighter. If you camp all the time, Marth can keep trying to force the grab, but he won't get you, likely.

2. Falco has bad taunts.

3. He only has two usable aerials, as Uair and Fair are both difficult to pull off and have very little return.

1. Really? If camping was that effective at keeping opponents away from you, we'd beat every character. Anyways, you're not playing a very good Marth if all they're trying to do is 0-death you (like a Falco that just tries to force the CG). It's just an option that he has if he does grab you. (Also remember that Marth has the third largest standing grab range in the game.)

2. LIES!

3. Bair, Nair, and Dair make three, and Uair is particularly good against opponents who can't do much to defend against attacks from below (Marth, ROB, etc).

Esca

Smash Champion
Listen, Falco has one thing wrong. His vertical recovery.

He can nair to utilt in 1 frame. Guaranteed combo.

OOS he can jab grab/nair/bair/usmash, how is that bad at all?

You Falco mains are just trying to find soemthing to whine about.

/thread.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Listen, Falco has one thing wrong. His vertical recovery.

He can nair to utilt in 1 frame. Guaranteed combo.

OOS he can jab grab/nair/bair/usmash, how is that bad at all?

You Falco mains are just trying to find soemthing to whine about.

/thread.
ORLY?

Thanks man, appreciate it. Why don't you go eat a banana and leave us Falco mains to try and find our limitations and ways around them? Kthx.

kook_U

Smash Cadet
only read the first page:p
but i wouldn't really say Falco has trouble killing, his SHL/SHDL, CG and great stage control and great mobility is what sets up for damage and kills. I don't really see whats to complain about, Falco can kill just as good as any other. His Bair comes out fast, his Uair can kill the bad ariel guys, Dair can be great for combos on stage and decent for killing off, and Nair is just uhhh good. Fsmash and Usmash also are good when set up right. Not saying its easy to get a kill but its not as bad as some make it seem. Falco is considered wanna the best ;)

but i do agree on the fact that his recovery sucks.
but disagree that he has bad taunts.....

CY

Smash Ace
lol no brent, it isn't good. so many things beat it, one thing being MK's tornado. it is also gimpable, and his recovery is pretty predictable. either falco will side b into the edge, which you can try and edge hog for the kill. or he will side b onto the stage, which you can punish.

also, falco can do a lot more OOS then what you listed. dair and ftilt just being two.

Hyo

Smash Journeyman

1. Really? If camping was that effective at keeping opponents away from you, we'd beat every character. Anyways, you're not playing a very good Marth if all they're trying to do is 0-death you (like a Falco that just tries to force the CG). It's just an option that he has if he does grab you. (Also remember that Marth has the third largest standing grab range in the game.)

2. LIES!

3. Bair, Nair, and Dair make three, and Uair is particularly good against opponents who can't do much to defend against attacks from below (Marth, ROB, etc).
My mistake about 1 and 3.

Esca

Smash Champion
lol no brent, it isn't good. so many things beat it, one thing being MK's tornado. it is also gimpable, and his recovery is pretty predictable. either falco will side b into the edge, which you can try and edge hog for the kill. or he will side b onto the stage, which you can punish.

also, falco can do a lot more OOS then what you listed. dair and ftilt just being two.
But it's used more as an attack as well, and gets alot of distance.

And I was counter-arguing that kid, because he said that Falco had NO options out of shield, I listed a few off the top of my head to help him out. Thanks.

wangston

Smash Lord
Killing at high % and recovery. Once they are at high percents it's rather hard to get a kill unless you are dead on with a fsmash or usmash. It's really annoying having a snake live until 200% and bair just knocks them away or your fmash/usmash is now to weak to kill.

Getting the kill with falco is the most frustrating thing. Also long as I get the kill early from a spike for a fresh fsmash/usmash things go smoothly. But if my moves are stale or no spike or footstool kill things aren't so good.

Anding getting fair to death by marth or rob at low % hurts real bad.

CY

Smash Ace
don't forget utilt as a kill move at high %s. it will throw them off and it is pretty beastly at high %s.

an easy way to get the usmash kill is to connect a laser while they are in the air and falling, laser > boost smash or just a regular running usmash. IT WILL work son.

but yes, for the most part killing with falco is frustrating. racking up damage is really easy though, just gotta get that kill.

wangston

Smash Lord
don't forget utilt as a kill move at high %s. it will throw them off and it is pretty beastly at high %s.

an easy way to get the usmash kill is to connect a laser while they are in the air and falling, laser > boost smash or just a regular running usmash. IT WILL work son.

but yes, for the most part killing with falco is frustrating. racking up damage is really easy though, just gotta get that kill.
I do use the utilt from time to time if they are at a higher % and I've not used the move in a while.

I also use the boost up smash and laser, but it seems to only work when it's a silent laser and a perfect boost smash that makes me go the fastest. If not they will end up perfect shielding the usmash.

Sometimes the empty hop fsmash works but only if they haven't seen it before. Once they are used to the empty hop, i'll use a single laser usmash or fmash.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
The first tournament I went to, Axis, I was ****** the crap out of Tudor and then he learned that planking his way about my Falco was a devastation.

Needless to say, he planked me like 0-death about 4x in the three rounds, and frankly I was just wishing I could do something about it other than:

1. Jump down and attempt to b-air or d-air
2. Fall too far down or get Samus d-aired
3. Get edgehogged by that darn grapple beam edgehog/rehog technique.

TKD

Smash Lord
Falco's recovery isn't "Very Mediocre". It's decent, I don't think it goes to the "bad" range at all. Look up Marth or Lucario. Or Olimar. You can't complain if you're not at least playing Fox. Snake has trouble recovering at low % too. Only a handful of characters have better recovery than Falco.

Falco's recovery isn't mediocre. It's punishable, yes, but only to some extent, and you can avoid being constantly edgehogged by not going for the edge, even if it means getting hit. Plus, phantasm is quick enough for your opponent not to be able to react to it.

Stalling's banned. You're not forced to attack an opponent that's avoiding the match. Not a weakness.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Stalling's banned. You're not forced to attack an opponent that's avoiding the match. Not a weakness.
Bah. This is a misconception. Planking is NOT the stalling that the rules ban. You are, indeed, forced to attack an opponent that has taken an advantageous position, if he's ahead in percent and you want to catch up.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Falco's main weakness is the hateable character in general.
You're the most lame troll in existence. Learn to troll better before trying something like that please.

kthbai.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Falco's main weakness is the hateable character in general.
How is being hateable a weakness? Metaknight would be the worst character in the game.

Yes you hate us, we've established that.
Trust me, you've proven more than your point.

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
The first tournament I went to, Axis, I was ****** the crap out of Tudor and then he learned that planking his way about my Falco was a devastation.

Needless to say, he planked me like 0-death about 4x in the three rounds, and frankly I was just wishing I could do something about it other than:

Needless to say, if a player needs to plank then you are obviously the better player. Planking should be banned, just because it's so **** lame.

If "inadequacy to planking" is a weakness, then I just don't know anymore about Brawl.

Planking is unsportsmanlike, aggravating, and desperate.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman

Did you seriously just say you were ****** me then i planked to win?

I play Samus, you play Falco, you lost therefore you suck, deal with it.

First of all, all you did was laser spam, learn some other moves.

Second, if you knew other moves you would have probably used your reflector to get me off the edge if I was planking you.

Don't accuse me of something I don't do. I've never been called a cheap player and I'm not going to let you get away with it just to make yourself look good.

Ask anyone from axis that saw our game...

Top Bottom