• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco vs Luigi

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure SH Nair from Luigi will take care of most of the ground options Falco has this idea is ********.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I don't fight good luigi's often. It's not like I love next door to pakman or anything. So...when People start actually fighting me with luigi I usually freeze up a bit.

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
Its hitbox isn't great, but it does have HOLY JESUS BRICK WALL priority. When I'm being comboed by anybody, instead of trying to SDI or double jumping out, I just mash neutral A because if I can get a strong hit N-air out, its almost guaranteed to go right through pretty much anything my opponent has for me.

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
KirbyKaze:

I think the major shortcoming of this plan is that it's terrible.
Okay, yeah...maybe approaching with Nair is mildly ********, but it's a great move once the fighting gets going. I'm pretty sure that strong-hit Nair beats out every one of Falco's aerials if it hits in the right place.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Its hitbox isn't great, but it does have HOLY JESUS BRICK WALL priority. When I'm being comboed by anybody, instead of trying to SDI or double jumping out, I just mash neutral A because if I can get a strong hit N-air out, its almost guaranteed to go right through pretty much anything my opponent has for me.
You realize aerials possess no priority?

However, what people usually mistakenly refer to as "priority" is the range of the hitbox. As in, "Peach's aerials have so much ****ing priority." Where Peach is well known for having aerials with deceptively large hitboxes.

So if you say it has a sup-par hitbox, but claim it has a lot of "priority," you're contradicting yourself.

The only reason you get out is because your opponents suck and can't space their follow ups.

At higher levels, that simply doesn't work.

Okay, yeah...maybe approaching with Nair is mildly ********, but it's a great move once the fighting gets going. I'm pretty sure that strong-hit Nair beats out every one of Falco's aerials if it hits in the right place.
Yeah, nair beats Falco's aerials if he decides to dair you with his head. It's called bad spacing.

Oracle

Smash Master
If you space Luigi's nair it beats falco's aerials....but even when spaced it doesn't' have nearly enough range to be good. Falco's nair outranges it anyways.

Besides, with falco you should be too busy SHLing to get nair'ed. His air speed is too slow to approach from the air and a falling dair is a dumb option, as you can shield it and grab him or OOS shine/dair and ****.

^I thought aerials had priority, but only when clashing with ground moves. There is no priority between aerial moves.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
Luigi vs Flaco is an even match up.
I've yet to see otherwise.
Lasers are good, but that's not what Flaco needs to beat Luigi. At least a good one. :\

I can't remember where I saw it but...

"How to play Falco vs Fox: Problem, Fox DD grab. Solution, shoot him"
Just like Fox, Falco needs that against him. But that just holds him off a bit.

PS: If Flaco SHLs once, Luigi can get to him before a second laser comes out, every time. Just like Fox.
(PS can also mean power shield) ;)

TresChikon

Smash Lord
^I thought aerials had priority, but only when clashing with ground moves. There is no priority between aerial moves.
Nah, either one beats out the other or they trade depending on how the hitboxes and hurtboxes collide.

Priority is what determines what clanks between ground moves and certain projectiles.

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
I guess what I mean by 'priority' is that Luigi's Nair has a pretty good-size disjoint on it that seems to extend mostly in front of and above him, and even a little behind him. It's probably because his leg is so fat, compared to other sexkicks (falco, samus, etc) who have skinny tiny legs. In most cases (in my experience) where Falco and Luigi are flying headlong toward each other, each with an Nair out, Luigi wins. The fact that the hitbox stays around for so long makes it so Luigi doesn't even have to space it perfectly well: he just presses the button, and unless Falco spaces his aerials perfectly (very few players are good enough to do this consistently), they're going to run into a wall of Nair. If you're good enough that you always space your aerials perfectly, then you won't have a problem with this. But if you're going to say that somebody 'sucks' because they occasionally slip up the spacing on a combo, then you've condemned nearly the entire melee tournament community.

Anyway, yeah, I agree that we do have trouble approaching Falco when he's SHL'ing. But Luigi gets around amazingly fast, and a couple of well-timed wavedashed shields can get him up close. Also, while we're on the subject of priority, tornado is a move that DOES actually have priority that's hard to beat. If he can get in close and catch Falco off guard, he's got a myriad of excellent opportunities, including Dsmash into an aerial combo and a chaingrab that lasts on Falco until ~60%. Also, SHL's got nothing on our SHORT HOP FIREBALL.

unknown522

Some guy
nah, falco's moves will all beat luigi's n-air. But luigi's f-air does beat out all of falco's aerials, regardless of spacing.

Lasers are good, but that's not what Flaco needs to beat Luigi. At least a good one. :\

PS: If Flaco SHLs once, Luigi can get to him before a second laser comes out, every time. Just like Fox.
nah, falco ***** luigi. He gets destroyed by lasers, because they stop his WD. And he's slow without his WD. Platform camping, or running to a platform when luigi gets close is amazing because luigi is so **** slow in the air. Oh, and platform combos from 0 - at least 50%. Even still, FD is bad because he has no good way to approach falco.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

This is false.

Pretty much all of it.

Linguini

Smash Master
I don't understand where people acquired this strange idea that they can throw out evaluations of matchups when they don't know the match-up from front to back themselves. If your not an expert in the matchup, which I doubt any of you are,then don't waste your time analyzing it or giving it a score(60:40,etc.) because you don't know jack ****.

payce

FoonZ

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzLFlBsNZ6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqEWc7C8jOw

I think what you want to do is take advantage of Luigi's slow air movement, and like Tres said, good spacing = win...

What I've learned from playing against Luigi is that you don't want to try and string together the 80% combos...The quick 2-3 hit combos is all you need, then back off, because Luigi will hit you when he's free from hitstun. So basically, I think in order to play against Luigi, you just play the hit and run game along with patience and a few mix ups and you're set =)

Bamesy

Smash Ace

KK/unknown
Whatever you prefer.

I don't know if you care but I'll just share my thoughts on it a little more if you're at all interested. I also don't see what was wrong with my post but that's alright.
:\

1st part is my opinion so. :\ I'm sticking with it until I see otherwise (obviously)

Regarding lasers etc...
Falco's MAIN problem with Fox is Foxes dash dancing into grabbing him. The best way to stop this is to shoot Fox. Essentially the only differences between Falcos use for lasers between fighting Fox and Luigi are:
1) Fox can SH/FH approach/maneuver to avoid them and is better on platforms

2) DDing is quicker in close areas then WDing, which is where Falco doesn't want to be (marth fair range example)

3) Luigi falls slow so you can hit him in the air for more % lol

All significant, but Falcos lasers have the same use and effect. Luigi is fast enough that this why Falcos use it, but his speed is what makes it not something that's spammable to any extent in terms of 'shutting down' the character. Just like it doesn't 'shut down' a Fox.

Although it's not something that can be shown with words (theory crafting ftbleh), I've had no trouble getting passed lasers any more than with any other character, almost at all. I can't PS like manuel yet, but WD OOS and simply DDing near with a ftilt rangier than marths crap makes it completely STUPID to try shooting a laser if Falco isn't using that laser to approach/camp from the other side of Dreamland/rack up damage after stopping a combo.

Flaco needs to use his lasers, and they work as always of course, but that's not a big problem any more than it is for any other character. Less of a problem really (I'm not going to go into detail)

The shine platform combos to 50% aren't a big deal. That's something he can do to everyone (to a point, you know what I mean) and Luigi can do that with a couple tilts and a dair or even a single grab. :\

Falco can't take more than 20% or the next hit can lead to a stock after techchases/edgeguarding (one aerial and gg) where if Luigi lives to 90%, Falco needs to land a fsmash or good spike/bair/combo into dtilt etc. That isn't something that can be easily set up (unless it's Bair or Dair but that can be survivable too :\), it has to be read. (better player only, character leverage has nothing to do with it)

For the most part, I'm on the ground (in my shield, WDing around etc) and can live to extremely high % against every Falco I've played at least a stock or 2 every match in tourney. Landing the killing blow/combo starter isn't difficult for either of them. That's what it comes down to. Falco landing a dair on a Luigi light shield = bad for Falco, and he can't do anything out of his grabs but toss Luigi in the air for a bit. Luigi landing a ftilt on Falco CCing = bad for Luigi, and lasers and aerials make it tough for Luigi to land grabs.

In my experience, the better player gets more of these and hence wins. That's just what I've gathered from what I've seen, heard, know and played. I've had lots of GREAT Flacos and most who have lots of GREAT weegee exp to gather this from. (you know Eric, he was just in Torntoez...he's played Ka enough to know that matchup inside out, why would he struggle beating any other Luigi in tourney sets aside from Ka if it was lopsided even slightly? And he's only one of MANY Flacos with this 'condition' lol)

Just my thoughts.
Also, no offense, but I don't think many Luigi's do it right at all. Donno what anyone else is capable of, but it's rare to see it done right (by either side really) [my opinion >_>]

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzLFlBsNZ6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqEWc7C8jOw

I think what you want to do is take advantage of Luigi's slow air movement, and like Tres said, good spacing = win...

What I've learned from playing against Luigi is that you don't want to try and string together the 80% combos...The quick 2-3 hit combos is all you need, then back off, because Luigi will hit you when he's free from hitstun. So basically, I think in order to play against Luigi, you just play the hit and run game along with patience and a few mix ups and you're set =)
Pretty much this. Also, once you get Luigi off the stage, you really have no reason to let him back on. Just predict where he's Missiling to and spike him to oblivion; should be a piece of cake.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Falco's MAIN problem with Fox is Foxes dash dancing into grabbing him. The best way to stop this is to shoot Fox.
Lol, no.

Linguini is right, please don't comment on the MU if you don't know anything about it.

Falco's main problem in the MU most certainly isn't an arbitrary DD grab.

It's getting his *** knocked over. When that **** happens, Fox can combo him to 239479823409%

Big_R

Smash Champion
no dude i was right why did this thread blow up? wtf sh nair at me with luigi haha thats not fast. at worst shield it cuz its coming at me so slow. shine outta shield.

at worst

u gotta do it liek u do every other match with falco. just camp it right

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
no dude i was right why did this thread blow up? wtf sh nair at me with luigi haha thats not fast. at worst shield it cuz its coming at me so slow. shine outta shield.

at worst

u gotta do it liek u do every other match with falco. just camp it right
Yeah, I didn't really mean to say approaching with that was a good idea, just that it was great for aerial combat.

What Falco really needs to be worried about is Luigi's SHORT HOP FIREBALL.

why use falco when you can use falcon and combo the hat off luigi
This is true. Falcon beats the green out of me whenever I have the misfortune to play one.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
?

Seriously people this is pathetic.
It's a Falco vs Luigi thread.
So far everything in here is true aside from the posts and comments saying things aren't true or saying that nobody should discuss match ups. I'm pretty sure whoever made this thread is actually interested in learning something about the match up. So it's what should be discussed. I'd also personally like to learn this match up from both sides too.

Sure things like "pick up Falcon instead" are funny and actually not bad ideas, but some of these posts are worthless. At least contribute something to the topic worth reading.

Lol, no.

Linguini is right, please don't comment on the MU if you don't know anything about it.

Falco's main problem in the MU most certainly isn't an arbitrary DD grab.

It's getting his *** knocked over. When that **** happens, Fox can combo him to 239479823409%
Contribute something next time. :[

Yes Ling does have a point, but it's VERY minor and doesn't even apply to anything in this thread yet. Saying things like "don't talk about mu odds" are exactly the oposite of beneficial.

If someone states their opinion, it's an opinion. Opinion isn't ABSOLUTE FACT, it's a perspective on something (Hence the word discussing) They're words, not actual gameplay. Don't take them so litterally and maybe share your own opinion to help/get help with something. I'd rather have everyone share their thoughts than none, that's how you learn.
No wonder some people have played this game for 4+ years and struggle with 'decent' players.

And really?
Fox is significantly faster than Falco and has a much much much better DD game. A DD camping fox should be SHLed a lot at short range to prevent DDing, especially with the brutal grab game Fox has vs. Falco.
Straight from a guide. Mogwais thread is spammed with this concept and it was the major subject of an entire regional thread last week. I've probably seen it explained 20 times since halloween. Why does this have to be pointed out? Think man :urg:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkvc2EoRGa0&feature=related
I'm pretty sure they're ^ NOT doing it wrong.
Again, take everything with a grain of sault. DDing to shines, grabs whatever. They're just words. If you're taking a single sentence that litterally, then you'd need PAGES to describe the simplest things. I'm quite sure you don't need that. I'm sure you can read passed the little white letters on the black backdrop.

Sorry for picking out your post. It's just one of MANY examples of people posting things for no reason. KK and a couple others did it too.

This happens everywhere too, not just this thread. Like when it was being discussed that sheer APM difference alone could win a match in the SW tech skill thread, then someone came along and said sarcastically 'that's why jiggs beat foxes all the time' and were serious about it.

This is a discussion thread about Falco vs Luigi. I want to figure out better ways to counter/approach/space/whatever from both sides of this. Though Falcon is too fun LOL

Now stop being noobs and use your braiziez people. :laugh:

unknown522

Some guy
I don't understand where people acquired this strange idea that they can throw out evaluations of matchups when they don't know the match-up from front to back themselves. If your not an expert in the matchup, which I doubt any of you are,then don't waste your time analyzing it or giving it a score(60:40,etc.) because you don't know jack ****.

payce
in fairness, I do use falco vs luigi. I do know what I'm talking about. I haven't played Ka-master yet though, so you do have a point there. Most of the other good luigi players though, I have 4-stocked with my falco, whether it be in pools, friendlies, or MMs.

KK/unknown
Whatever you prefer.

I don't know if you care but I'll just share my thoughts on it a little more if you're at all interested. I also don't see what was wrong with my post but that's alright.

1st part is my opinion so. :\ I'm sticking with it until I see otherwise (obviously)

Regarding lasers etc...
Falco's MAIN problem with Fox is Foxes dash dancing into grabbing him. The best way to stop this is to shoot Fox. Essentially the only differences between Falcos use for lasers between fighting Fox and Luigi are:
1) Fox can SH/FH approach/maneuver to avoid them and is better on platforms

2) DDing is quicker in close areas then WDing, which is where Falco doesn't want to be (marth fair range example)

3) Luigi falls slow so you can hit him in the air for more % lol

All significant, but Falcos lasers have the same use and effect. Luigi is fast enough that this why Falcos use it, but his speed is what makes it not something that's spammable to any extent in terms of 'shutting down' the character. Just like it doesn't 'shut down' a Fox.

Although it's not something that can be shown with words (theory crafting ftbleh), I've had no trouble getting passed lasers any more than with any other character, almost at all. I can't PS like manuel yet, but WD OOS and simply DDing near with a ftilt rangier than marths crap makes it completely STUPID to try shooting a laser if Falco isn't using that laser to approach/camp from the other side of Dreamland/rack up damage after stopping a combo.

Flaco needs to use his lasers, and they work as always of course, but that's not a big problem any more than it is for any other character. Less of a problem really (I'm not going to go into detail)

The shine platform combos to 50% aren't a big deal. That's something he can do to everyone (to a point, you know what I mean) and Luigi can do that with a couple tilts and a dair or even a single grab. :\

Falco can't take more than 20% or the next hit can lead to a stock after techchases/edgeguarding (one aerial and gg) where if Luigi lives to 90%, Falco needs to land a fsmash or good spike/bair/combo into dtilt etc. That isn't something that can be easily set up (unless it's Bair or Dair but that can be survivable too :\), it has to be read. (better player only, character leverage has nothing to do with it)

For the most part, I'm on the ground (in my shield, WDing around etc) and can live to extremely high % against every Falco I've played at least a stock or 2 every match in tourney. Landing the killing blow/combo starter isn't difficult for either of them. That's what it comes down to. Falco landing a dair on a Luigi light shield = bad for Falco, and he can't do anything out of his grabs but toss Luigi in the air for a bit. Luigi landing a ftilt on Falco CCing = bad for Luigi, and lasers and aerials make it tough for Luigi to land grabs.

In my experience, the better player gets more of these and hence wins. That's just what I've gathered from what I've seen, heard, know and played. I've had lots of GREAT Flacos and most who have lots of GREAT weegee exp to gather this from. (you know Eric, he was just in Torntoez...he's played Ka enough to know that matchup inside out, why would he struggle beating any other Luigi in tourney sets aside from Ka if it was lopsided even slightly? And he's only one of MANY Flacos with this 'condition' lol)

Just my thoughts.
Also, no offense, but I don't think many Luigi's do it right at all. Donno what anyone else is capable of, but it's rare to see it done right (by either side really) [my opinion >_>]

I read it all and it looks pretty good, but you are missing the parts about what falco can do to luigi. His b-air is so ****, and really good for setting up edgeguards. But yeah, read what I said to linguini. I know eric has played Ka-master, as I haven't but I still have my share of experience vs luigi players, though none of them even touch Ka-master's level.

Also, fox's grab isn't that great vs luigi.

Unknowns sig is boss
Thanks.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
in fairness, I do use falco vs luigi. I do know what I'm talking about. I haven't played Ka-master yet though, so you do have a point there. Most of the other good luigi players though, I have 4-stocked with my falco, whether it be in pools, friendlies, or MMs.

I read it all and it looks pretty good, but you are missing the parts about what falco can do to luigi. His b-air is so ****, and really good for setting up edgeguards. But yeah, read what I said to linguini. I know eric has played Ka-master, as I haven't but I still have my share of experience vs luigi players, though none of them even touch Ka-master's level.

Also, fox's grab isn't that great vs luigi.

Thanks.
Yeah, Fox grabbing Luigi doesn't mean much. Hence shield keeps him alive so long aside from gimp kills. Those are scary though.

I know very well that you know very well what you're talking about and that you're a great player, don't worry about that. Either way, I take everything under consideration no matter who it comes from. You're no exception. ;)

That being said, there aren't many 'great' players that have put the time in to playing Luigi well. Ka may be one of, if not the only one to do so to date. I'll confidently assume that you're a better player than any other 'good' Luigi players you've played if you're 4 stocking them. That should never happen unless you are a better player. I'm sure you understand this.

At the same time, Eric is a 'great' player, so is Ka. I'm not a great player. I live 6 hours from the nearest 'great' player and rarely play at all. Yet last time I played Eric in tournament, which was only a few weeks ago, I used Luigi in the second match of our set. It came down to each of us with over 100% last stock (he Bair'd me ftw too :laugh:).

There is no reason for a 'great' player who knows Luigi that well to struggle with a Luigi like me so much. The other Falco I played that tourney was Tim, in crew battles we went even in stocks but I nearly took 3 with my 2. He has plenty of Ka practice too.

This is generally what I gather my perspective on Falco vs Luigi from. When I played Ka, Falco and Luigi are characters I've yet to use, so I don't know what it's like from that side. And I haven't ever played a Luigi from that side of the match up.

I use Falco as well, and would like to know how to play the match up, but from the Luigi side, I can tell you what I find works against me and what doesn't. So far things that have been pointed out as 'working' aren't things that have worked on me, and from what I've witnessed, they don't work on Ka either, for good reason. (he's better than me lol)

1 is early kills. Whenever a Falco can get that combo into Bair or Dair for a good edgeguard before 100%, that can get him the needed lead. That's essentially the basis of what I'm trying to avoid on stage. It's not the lasers or approach or spaced Bairs, it's the combo to the edge into one.

Bairs and straight attacks are easy to avoid, or simply shield. Trading hits is also in Luigi's favor (for the most part). When it comes to higher %, every one of Falcos attempts to kill can be avoided if he can't combo into it (or if Luigi gets stuck on a platform)

That's something that works. Lasers work for getting more potential opportunities to set that up, but that's only a potential and can be avoided. A 'good' Luigi should be able to, or at least will learn how with enough practice. A 'great' Luigi will very rarely let that happen, if ever.

That's just something I find to be CONCRETE in this match up. Not laser game. Early kills is where the game changers come from, and that comes from the better player, not the overwhelming lasers or bair spacing. :\

That's my input to this match up. :ohwell:

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Yeah, Fox grabbing Luigi doesn't mean much. Hence shield keeps him alive so long aside from gimp kills. Those are scary though.

I know very well that you know very well what you're talking about and that you're a great player, don't worry about that. Either way, I take everything under consideration no matter who it comes from. You're no exception. ;)

That being said, there aren't many 'great' players that have put the time in to playing Luigi well. Ka may be one of, if not the only one to do so to date. I'll confidently assume that you're a better player than any other 'good' Luigi players you've played if you're 4 stocking them. That should never happen unless you are a better player. I'm sure you understand this.

At the same time, Eric is a 'great' player, so is Ka. I'm not a great player. I live 6 hours from the nearest 'great' player and rarely play at all. Yet last time I played Eric in tournament, which was only a few weeks ago, I used Luigi in the second match of our set. It came down to each of us with over 100% last stock (he Bair'd me ftw too :laugh:).

There is no reason for a 'great' player who knows Luigi that well to struggle with a Luigi like me so much. The other Falco I played that tourney was Tim, in crew battles we went even in stocks but I nearly took 3 with my 2. He has plenty of Ka practice too.

This is generally what I gather my perspective on Falco vs Luigi from. When I played Ka, Falco and Luigi are characters I've yet to use, so I don't know what it's like from that side. And I haven't ever played a Luigi from that side of the match up.

I use Falco as well, and would like to know how to play the match up, but from the Luigi side, I can tell you what I find works against me and what doesn't. So far things that have been pointed out as 'working' aren't things that have worked on me, and from what I've witnessed, they don't work on Ka either, for good reason. (he's better than me lol)

1 is early kills. Whenever a Falco can get that combo into Bair or Dair for a good edgeguard before 100%, that can get him the needed lead. That's essentially the basis of what I'm trying to avoid on stage. It's not the lasers or approach or spaced Bairs, it's the combo to the edge into one.

Bairs and straight attacks are easy to avoid, or simply shield. Trading hits is also in Luigi's favor (for the most part). When it comes to higher %, every one of Falcos attempts to kill can be avoided if he can't combo into it (or if Luigi gets stuck on a platform)

That's something that works. Lasers work for getting more potential opportunities to set that up, but that's only a potential and can be avoided. A 'good' Luigi should be able to, or at least will learn how with enough practice. A 'great' Luigi will very rarely let that happen, if ever.

That's just something I find to be CONCRETE in this match up. Not laser game. Early kills is where the game changers come from, and that comes from the better player, not the overwhelming lasers or bair spacing. :\

That's my input to this match up. :ohwell:
I'm not reading this......I read all day...fawk that :laugh:

Top Bottom