• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Matchup #10: Yoshi

Sharky

Smash Master
I feel there is a big divide of opinion as to how this mu tilts. I think it's pretty even. we don't have any huge trouble aproaching you, we don't really outrange each other, we have good answers to illusion, do really well offstage, and our cg puts you in a terrible spot. You guys kill a little earlier I think, though.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
He's going to grab a lot, and he likes the air. The usual laser, CG, Jab, and Bair work well. Gimping is something to look out for... Not much to say about it though :(

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I don't recall if Yoshi has any grab release shenanigans on Falco. But I can't say I would be surprised if he did.

Camping for the most part works. Watch out for neutral air when you phantasm (recovering or escaping). Also, you can chaingrab him - I forget the specific % at which he can get out - but he can nair out of it. So expect that. I'm pretty sure after 3 you should start follow ups so you don't get destroyed by that attack.

Don't rush, as usual. You can get grabbed or smashed pretty easily if you approach or do something dumb...

Reflecting/dodging eggs shouldn't be too much of a problem. If they retreat to the edge to stall and shoot eggs, let them. They'll have to get up eventually to either kill you (if you have the lead) or to avoid edge grab limit (if they have the lead).

Obviously try to footstool Yoshi's double jump since that renders him basically useless. As well as grabbing him out of it.

I think it's 6:4 because Falco's up-close options beat Yoshi's for the most part and has a more sufficient/reliable camping game than Yoshi. But if the Yoshi is experienced it could be rough. Character-wise I think Falco prevails.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Pretty sure Yoshi gets CG'd to 48% from 0 (7 grabs). But he can Nair out if you mess up (or if you start at later percent with a more fresh grab... yeah you know).

Yoshi's shield sucks, pretty much. He practically has no OoS options, so he has to either spotdodge or roll. Look for it. Don't get baffled by his shield drop animation either. Look for that too.

Ban Delfino. His grab releases are better utilized. If you get grab released to the ledge on the floating part, you really gotta sweetspot the ledge or else you're dead. And if you Firebird, you'll probably get spiked. Oh and those free blast zone kills off grab release too. Yoshi doesn't mind FD vs us btw.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
My opinion on this MU is so inconsistent it hurts me. It seems like Falco should have the upper hand here, but I have a very good record against Falco in tournament. @_@

We do have a GR CG on you. The timing on it is pretty tight, but it shouldn't really be an issue. Just be careful with your escape options; we can bait them to land a kill move or to extend the CG. You release pretty far, so damage isn't your problem with it. The positioning it grants us is pretty good, though. As far as I know, we DO have a spike on you if we GR at the ledge, but the required spacing from the ledge for it to work is a little odd. If you're RIGHT against the ledge, you can't get spiked if you recover correctly.

We don't really get beat by Falco's boxing game. Jab mix ups aren't a problem; DJ Nair takes care of pretty much ALL of them. Our jab isn't bad either.

Personally, I camp until I'm decently into the CG percentages so I don't suffer all the damage that comes with it. Egging Falco is pretty interesting, as he has options to beat it, but it's not uncommon to be able to hit him with an egg or two as he's lasering you. Each egg is about 9%, too, so I'd say it's completely worth the trade of a few lasers to an egg, especially if you're still in CG percents. If Falco starts reflecting them, it's entirely possible to punish a reflector if you bait it, even from pretty long ranges.

As for killing, neither character really has an easy time killing the other unless a good read or trap is set up. Expect some high percent stocks.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Never thought of Yoshi counter-camping. Taking laser % instead of chaingrabs. Clever.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Usually I counter-camp instead of worrying about Lasers. Even at High percentage, cause either way i'll just keep basically saying "Sure i'll take these 2 Lasers that hit my nose, while you get hit by this Egg and take almost 10%"
He won't get anywhere with lasers (outside of Percentage Rising) since our Eggs actually has knockback and will eventually start making Falco come off the ground so we can start throwing USmashes your way, or try and juggle you around in the air with Uair Bair or Egglay.

I believe we're able to Nair you out of Phantasm, and We also have an Egglay out of GR from the ledge on Falco. Though usually my reaction is to Double Jump Airdodge since they'll usually get out as fast as they can and try to Footstool me.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I didn't bother mentioning the Pivot grab against Falco's Side-B cause half the time (Since I play a Falco main all the time and also alot in Friendlies) I've learned to space myself enough just to FSmash them once they're about to touch the ground, and read them almost all the time knowing when they're gonna use Side-B.

smash brother

Smash Cadet
i chain grab him u smash him then jump above and d air him land grab up throw him u air him then wait till he lands then f smash him out and if he dosent die there i use some lasers and then f smash him out

:phone:

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
i chain grab him u smash him then jump above and d air him land grab up throw him u air him then wait till he lands then f smash him out and if he dosent die there i use some lasers and then f smash him out

:phone:
Not sure if serious.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
(I had a whole write up of Stages to counterpick Falco too, but my internet turned off when I posted it. So now I'm gonna have to retype it and try to remember as much as I can...)
Notice he joined in March of 2011 with only 31 posts.

Now Stages too take falco to... Frankly, I'd go LC or YI just to mess with his CG, no BF FD or SV.
As for Counterpicks... I'd say Frigate PS2 Brinstar and Halberd.

Frigate Orpheon

===

If we grab you out of Your Side-B after you've used your DJ, you can expect to be GR Chaingrabbed to the edge of the right side of the stage, Say goodbye to one stock since even your UpB won't save you.
As for the second stage flip... I'd only say that we have the DR shenanigans with the slants and the fact it messes with your CG as well.

Pokemon Stadium 2

===

Rock Transformation - On here i'd just camp on the opposite side of where ever Falco is. If he's actually trying to get us still, We could always just DownB into the mountain and start lobbing eggs at you. You can still hit us of course, but we'll just walk away and punish you after your failed attempt to hit us.

Electric Transformation - The Conveyor belts screw with falco badly if he doesn't use Side-B half the time, to make it even worse, the platforms are just put oddly and whoever is in the middle controls the whole stage until it changes back.

Ice Transformation - This might benefit Falco since his DACUS can now go much further. But I believe we have a few nifty things too. It's either Fthrow or Regular GR to Usmash we have if we catch you while using A dash grab.
The slanted platforms this transformation offers sorta helps us in a small minor kinda way if we're both in the air and Falco tries to Laser spam us.
We also have the slope shenanigans, most basic reactions for Falco is they'll see us DownB the slant and proceed to DACUS Towards us only to B-reverse and catch you off guard for us to get a Free Uair/Usmash while you're in the egg.

Air Transformation - Self Explanatory... Falco doesn't like it, Yoshi Does. Eggtosses and Uair's thrown everywhere towards falco unless he doesn't plant his feet on the ground. Other than that, he could just laser spam forever and stay at the very top of the roof until it transforms back.

Brinstar

===

This stage in general doesn't support Falco at all.
It messes with his CG, The Membranes(?) can keep us safe from lasers for a short amount of time, we have slope shenanigans on the main platform/Slanted platforms when the Membranes are destroyed. And the roof is low enough to kill Falco at even 80% if we're forced onto the Top platform cause of the rising lava.

Halberd

===

All I can think of is the low roof and the sharking we can do to Falco, though we have to be careful with his Dair. And while on the Battleship, if we Chaingrab you off the Ledge and we're able to get our Fair on you . You won't be able to get back to the ledge, since you guys don't recover and all.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
Yoshi's pivot grab in this matchup is ridiculous. I played Poltergust this past weekend at CEO. I won, but it definitely wasn't a carnival day fighting him. The main thing to look out for in this matchup is his Chain Grab, the constant barrage of eggs thrown at you from the ledge, and uair/fsmash/usmash.

Something to take note of is that Yoshi is a HEAVYWEIGHT, so killing him could potentially be a problem. He can definitely kill us faster than we can kill him, so do your best to fend him off with lasers and jabs until you find an opening to kill him. Don't be predictable about it, though, or else you're gonna get CG'd to hell. Or offstage. Same thing. I'd say it's either even or +1 Falco.

StarFruit

Smash Cadet
All i have to say is watch out for the counter-camp. if necessary just do single silent lasers if you're getting reversed camped...air dodging and getting on laser in is better than taking that 9% or a reflector punish. yoshi has some speed and if you're on the edge...you can get GR spiked

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I might wrong because I'm applying Fox physics to Falco but...I thought the spike wasn't guaranteed unless you tried to jump back on stage when you get air released?

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
We all know we can cg yoshi 3-5 times, to dair or dacus. After that camping, but have you seen yoshi camp? Poltergist camps everyone out because the eggs hit falco and our lasers don't stop the eggs. We can get chained grabed also to a decent percent. Falco has a decent aproach on yoshi (phantasm, walk f-tilt, laser aproach). For yoshi (good dash attack, pivot grab) Imo this match up is 60-40 or 65-35 falco's favor.

Tedium

Smash Cadet
idk how old this thread is but i'll post anyway... basically.. for falco... camp.. obviously.. don't chase on off the ledge much because you can't gimp his second jump... don't forget to use your shine against the eggs when he's egg planking... always get the edge with your phantasm... also don't use phantasm unless he gets in close or you'll get up smashed out of it. don't get grabbed. yoshi's grab release cg is **** and it puts you in an awkward spot over the edge. they'll usually try to poach your phantasm from that point. the smaller the stage the better. you'll get to kill earlier and he'll have less stage to cg you on. overall i think it's a 60/40 falco but if you're careless you'll get upsmashed and cg'd all day

MasterKurei

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi can also CG Falco then when Falco is of stage Yoshi can do Neautral B and get you inside the egg.

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
Okay, I'm new, I know, but I have a few experience on competitive play on SSBB.

I was on a tournament the other day and in the second round I had to fight a Yoshi. I had a really REALLY bad time, I was careless and that's beacuse it was the first time I fought a Yoshi in competitive game (Here in Mexico, in my state there aren't almost any competitive players in SSBB, only in tournaments and they are big events, that's the only time where you can have some competitive play)

Well, so, my point is, if you're fighting a Yoshi, don't be careless, don't rush it and camp as much as possible. (I don't really like to camp and that was one of my mistakes in that match) The best aproach option you have, in my opinion is an IAP setup and be aware of Yoshi's Nair/Bair game. And well, get out of it's grab range. They only have a 3 frame chance to CG you but if they're good enough Yoshi's they could probably get you and end fighting at a "much-than-necessary" high percentage, and if you end at the ledge, recover as fast as possible, and if you can, sweetspot the ledge.

Sorry about my english, btw.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I was practicing with one of Ralph Cecil's friends (Forward Air or whatever name he goes by) who mains Yoshi. Here's a few of my tricks I did to take it to last stock last hit

Always camp near the ledge. If he does get a grab on you, it will only be one with a potential fair follow up, which you can just avoid by moving backwards (if you still have your jump). If he gets behind you trying to go for a grab, get out of there and go to the other side, or turn around and jab him, which leads into my next tactic.

A fun little trick is to hold onto the third part of the jab when you are standing on the edge of the stage, juggling him off the side. He may panic and waste his jump, putting him in a very bad position.

Don't fish for your own chaingrab against him. He will expect it and more often than not. If you just rush in for the grab, he will run away and get a pivot grab on you. If you're both standing next to each other, just go for a jab, then the grab. Also, watch your landings. If he launches you up in the air and he's just standing still, he's baiting for a dair, which he will punish with a pivot grab. Mix up your landings with phantasm and cancelled phantasms.

StarFruit

Smash Cadet
Okay sorry to necro this thread even more but i saw it and i have some more insight. After playing Hadesblade a few times in a tourney, i realized that this matchup absolutely sucks. That grab release offstage to egg is pretty much an auto kill if the player edge grabs right. (if they can buffer the grab release, the odds are they will know how to edge grab properly) Not only this, but yoshi's Nair and super armour destroy us. He can kill at like 110% (pulled that number from no where, but my point is that its low even with good DI) while he can tank pretty high unless you get a nice read with a usmash. First off, his nair is super trolly - it beats many of our options and is thrown out in very few frames. (not sure the exact amount) Then there's that super armour with his second jump. Even if you can get a read off of a recovery (something a lot of us like to do), there will be no knockback. It's nearly impossible to gimp a yoshi, and even harder to edgeguard against (his up-b stalls him in the air and outlasts our invincibility frames) His air game is trippy due to his floaty build. Just be aware of all of these things. Although his eggs hit like 10% and our lasers only hit like 2%, it seems that camping is the best way to survive this matchup. Its a rare occurance to see yoshi - so i think the best way to go is just dont get matched up with one. hope this helps and feel free to correct me if any of my information is wrong or outdated. :)

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I played a yoshi this week and when he got a grab I always pressed jab so in case he messed up the timing I would get out. It worked a few times. I like this mu with falco more than mk because I get chaingrabbed less with falco.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Okay sorry to necro this thread even more but i saw it and i have some more insight. After playing Hadesblade a few times in a tourney, i realized that this matchup absolutely sucks.
This is arguably Yoshi's worst Mu. It's a toss up between Falco/ Lucario for him. Yoshi loses to Falco because he has a very very hard time against Falco when Falco camps him due to him having such an awful shield.

That grab release offstage to egg is pretty much an auto kill if the player edge grabs right. (if they can buffer the grab release, the odds are they will know how to edge grab properly) Not only this, but yoshi's Nair and super armour destroy us.
If the Egg actually can hit us from an Air release, save your jump and SDi the Egg up. Then jump/ phantasm back on stage.
And to avoid the fair.. Jut hold away. It's only a gimmick. Not guaranteed.

He can kill at like 110% (pulled that number from no where, but my point is that its low even with good DI) while he can tank pretty high unless you get a nice read with a usmash.
Don't start throwing out numbers when you don't know the actual amounts. Not to mention, I don't see Falco being in a situation where Yoshi can Fsmash him unless he punishes our RCO by doing Jab -> Fsmash. Other than that.. He's just reading you.

First off, his nair is super trolly - it beats many of our options and is thrown out in very few frames. (not sure the exact amount)
Bair out spaces it, but his Nair isn't thrown out that often, and it should be obvious as to when it's going to happen, so you can just shield it.

Then there's that super armour with his second jump. Even if you can get a read off of a recovery (something a lot of us like to do), there will be no knockback. It's nearly impossible to gimp a yoshi, and even harder to edgeguard against (his up-b stalls him in the air and outlasts our invincibility frames)
Foot stool his second jump, Grab him out of his second jump then let him air release/ falling release and just time the edge grab. He isn't coming back.

His air game is trippy due to his floaty build. Just be aware of all of these things. Although his eggs hit like 10% and our lasers only hit like 2%,
Yoshi does have the fastest air speed in the game but that really should't be a problem because you shouldn't be chasing after him anyway. He should be chasing after you. Also, you can Simply PS the Egg toss ( They're slow enough and Ps'ing them ends up making them useless ) ,or rush him when tosses an egg since it leaves him wide open.

it seems that camping is the best way to survive this matchup. Its a rare occurance to see yoshi - so i think the best way to go is just dont get matched up with one. hope this helps and feel free to correct me if any of my information is wrong or outdated. :)
I don't see why we should avoid this Mu, it's not that difficult, and it's fine if you're wrong.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Very simple. pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. PHANTASM. pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. PHANATASM AGAIN. pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. PHANTASM. Pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. UPSMASH. pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. PHANTASM AGAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN. pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. PHANTASM. pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. UPSMASH. Do this 1 more time and congratulations you have now beat Yoshi. +3 for you guys.

/thread

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I firmly believe that in this matchup Yoshi has to properly utilize his variety of out of shield options.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Very simple. pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. PHANTASM. pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. PHANATASM AGAIN. pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. PHANTASM. Pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. UPSMASH. pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. PHANTASM AGAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN. pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. PHANTASM. pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew. UPSMASH. Do this 1 more time and congratulations you have now beat Yoshi. +3 for you guys.

/thread
This.

Guys, just camp Yoshi and abuse your grab. Heavy +2 or +3, lol. I'd say it's Yoshi's worst.

You must be trollin
Falco doesn't gimp Yoshi. He just molests him with lasers.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
He doesn't molest Yoshi, Yoshi just sits there and accept that one move beats him.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Not sure if you're trying to say that Falco doesn't destroy Yoshi.

Kindly explain to me how Yoshi approaches Falco with any degree of effectiveness.

Then explain to me how Yoshi reliably racks damage on Falco.

Then explain to me how Yoshi reliably kills Falco.

ForwardAirRage!

Smash Journeyman
yoshi is completely shut down in this MU. little bit of lasers, grabs and insta illusion and us yoshis are like "this is gay"

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
You guys are just not thinking outside of the box.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Delta, you're one of the best Yoshi, you should be giving us answers..

Its lol'able because I recall a few people saying this was actually one of Falco's better top tier match-ups. I wonder what lead to that opinion in a few people and the reaction seen in this thread regarding it being one of Yoshi's worst.

I guess I'll just start with this from Delta.
1)Kindly explain to me how Yoshi approaches Falco with any degree of effectiveness
2) Then explain to me how Yoshi reliably racks damage on Falco
3) Then explain to me how Yoshi reliably kills Falco
While, I have not played the match-up too much, there are some things which came to mind which I think answer these questions.

For one, powershielding is still an option. Ledgestalling with eggs is odd tactic. It doesn't do anything for either side really, but you could attempt to get the other falco impatient since all they would be doing is reflecting. Much more technical risk from the yoshi though. Its there to attempt, but not a reliable strategy.

Yoshi has air release options on Falco I thought. I haven't seen them pulled off perfectly every time though, so I am not sure how legit they are. Bair is an odd move. Sometimes it seems to legitimately lead to attacks like jab, but other times it doesn't do anything.

And as for killing, you just get him offstage. Killing Falco shouldn't be that much of a problem I would imagine. His recovery has its familiar landing points and you can count on phantasm or 2nd jump for the bulk of his recovery. Just cover the landing points. If you planon killing him from the stage, then I agree its a different story.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Delta, you're one of the best Yoshi, you should be giving us answers..
Raptor already summed up the MU, though. Camp camp camp > Usmash or something, repeat 3x. The fact that you're trying to impose the fact that we're wrong implies that you know something we don't about the MU.

Its lol'able because I recall a few people saying this was actually one of Falco's better top tier match-ups. I wonder what lead to that opinion in a few people and the reaction seen in this thread regarding it being one of Yoshi's worst.
I used to think it was near even. Then Falcos learned what to do (basically not committing and just camping us to death) and now I get DESTROYED everytime I play the MU. I had a perfect record against Keitaro, because he didn't know what to do in the MU. Even still, he thinks I have guaranteed options out of GR (that aren't actually legit) and doesn't bother trying to escape them. Despite this, I still struggle to take games off him now.

For one, powershielding is still an option. Ledgestalling with eggs is odd tactic. It doesn't do anything for either side really, but you could attempt to get the other falco impatient since all they would be doing is reflecting. Much more technical risk from the yoshi though. Its there to attempt, but not a reliable strategy.
Powershielding is NOT an option. We still have 17 frames of shield drop lag, meaning even if we run up and powershield a laser, you probably have MORE frame advantage than had we just gotten hit by it. Not to mention Yoshi struggles to Powershield lasers because of the way his shield works, where his nose is still vulnerable for a few frames, these frames taking up most of the powershielding window.

Ledgestalling accomplishes nothing. We can throw 5 (FIVE!) eggs before we're forced to get off the ledge. Then we're stuck on the ledge with no real options and then have to deal with Falco's landing traps. Regardless, any plan that hinges on the opponent becoming impatient is a TERRIBLE plan. I say this being one of the players who abuses the impatience of my opponent the most. This also has nothing to do with the characters and has everything to do with abusing the opposing player.

Yoshi has air release options on Falco I thought. I haven't seen them pulled off perfectly every time though, so I am not sure how legit they are. Bair is an odd move. Sometimes it seems to legitimately lead to attacks like jab, but other times it doesn't do anything.
Yoshi has a GR CG on Falco (very frame tight, but easily doable with buffers) that obviously leads to Falco being released offstage. Assuming we're right next to the ledge when we release you offstage, we have maybe 1 (only one!) guaranteed option, run off Egg Lay, which doesn't come close to guaranteeing a gimp or anything if you process what's happening and mash out fast enough to not be in the blast zone on release. This isn't hard to do, and Keitaro even did it in our last set.

GR > Fair is NOT guaranteed.

In general, Bair is a good combo starter for Yoshi if we cancel it into the ground. Bair > jabs, Bair > utilt, Bair > Usmash, etc are all pretty legit things. Problem being, how do we consistently Bair Falco? SHDL eats our SH approaches. If we try to Bair, we eat a laser. If we SH Air Dodge, Falco still has frame advantage.

If we Full Hop ABOVE the lasers, it becomes SUPER obvious when we're going to approach, which just means it's time for punishing.

Alternatively, you could just phantasm away. If we shield it, we can't punish, so it causes a complete reset to neutral, which is ENTIRELY beneficial to Falco. We can't even ping it out if we're close, so there really is just a win/win there.

And as for killing, you just get him offstage. Killing Falco shouldn't be that much of a problem I would imagine. His recovery has its familiar landing points and you can count on phantasm or 2nd jump for the bulk of his recovery. Just cover the landing points. If you planon killing him from the stage, then I agree its a different story.
Surprisingly enough, Yoshi doesn't reliably kill Falco by sending him offstage. We struggle to land a good kill move while he's actually recovering to the ledge/stage if the Falco doesn't waste his double jump. Yoshi's double jump sends him too high to chase well, especially because it takes a while for him to be able to stop the ascent and Fast Fall, and even then, Falco falls faster than us, so we couldn't catch that anyways.

If Falco's on the ledge, the best we can do is either read phantasm or a normal getup option. Reading phantasm and positioning ourselves to punish it requires us to be FAR from the ledge (since we can't shield it to punish, we need to space far enough away so we can ping it out with Jab then punish RCO). Being far from the ledge gives Falco PLENTY of space to simply climb off the ledge or ledge drop > DJ onstage. Ledge drop is made particularly powerful by the fact that Falco can ledge drop, DJ, and then either phantasm or just land on stage. Attempting to cover either option makes the other one perfectly safe. If we read phantasm and he just gets onstage, EVEN if Falco has RCO, we don't have a fast enough move to kill from a dash (Usmash being the obvious option, is too slow).

The best gimping/offstage killing option we have is to follow up from a GR offstage and try to hit you with Nair out of phantasm (Which will definitely be the recovery option from this state). However, this requires us to cover either the ledge or the stage. The best way to cover both involves falling offstage and doing a rising Nair with Falco to be on the same horizontal plane with him. However, this involves using our DJ and sacrificing the Heavy Armor, which means trying to time the hit during the Burst Frames of Nair (the strong hitbox), which is terribly risky because if we mess up, we eat phantasm and get spiked. The safe option is to use soft Nair, which won't kill Falco. It takes too long for us to reset after this, so Falco's next recovery attempt is safe.

Also, if we're behind a stock in this MU, we get destroyed. Hard. Yoshi does not have the tools to setup a kill well in this MU if the opponent just plays it safe and doesn't commit to anything (this is actually a huge flaw of Yoshi in general.) If Falco gets the stock lead, all he has to worry about is racking damage on our next stock, so pew pew pew, phantasm, holding shield, etc. all block our kill options and cause leads to snowball heavily in Falco's favor.

Top Bottom