• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
I've had to face both Luigi and Links in tournaments before without any training in the matchup whatsoever. Needless to say, I didn't do too well.
A really good Luigi is tough. His aerials and ground game are superior to you in every way. Also, his normals have little hangtime and can usually do second successive attack before you can retaliate. (most notably on your shield.)

I could easily see myself using secondaries against those two. And Ganondorf. I'm so bad versus Ganondorf, that also seems like a really hard MU for Samus.
As long as you aren't in the air or above him on a platform you stand a chance. Your CC attacks wont trade evenly, if at all. The main gameplan is peppering him with damage and then edgeguarding the hell out of him WITHOUT MERCY! Down Smash is your friend.

Pi

Smash Hero
ganon aint so bad any more i feel
you just can't be scared of him

if he's trying to fair you, everything you have comes out faster
just care not to challenge his bair or upair, usually won't work

just sucks when you're trying to get back to the ground

tbh i feel like kj64 might be a free win vs. most ganons
can't really juggle you, and edgeguarding him becomes cake

DarrellD

Smash Ace
With recovery? As long as your DI isn't bad. Rising grapple can get you to the top platform and I thinks it's only 4 frames of lag.

:phone:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
True, but if you only have that, mid/high upb and sweetspot upb... idk i always thought as those other options as a mixup to the sweetspot grapple which is the safest method to grab edge. If theres no "safest" option it seems like a lot of the edgeguard threatening game is lost. Assuming the ganon can hit your sweetspot upb with a reverse uair, he can just wait for you to try anything and hit you back off.

DarrellD

Smash Ace
None of samus's recovery options are good when Ganon sees them coming. Better trick the big guy as hard as possible.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah i agree you have to trick them, it just forces a commit to punish your sweetspot grapple... while if you dont have that option he can kinda just stand at the edge and wait for you to try something and then hit you off again. I suppose with good double jump usage you might be able to do stuff, but without your jump its probably GG :/

DarrellD

Smash Ace
The MU isn't all at the ledge. Its the reason why kj64 was brought up as a counter pick. Moving and high platforms with a huge ceiling and sides is why this stages makes sense as a CP. Getting off the ledge is what makes the match up a slight problem haha damn grab to kill move :(

Pi

Smash Hero
you're forgetting the ease samus has of getting into the barrell as well

bomb stall, rising grapple, UB, and if you become use to the barrel it's not so easy to edge guard a samus projectile by ganon, and you at least won't get gimped

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Very good points. I suppose that makes up for the edge problems. I'm still not sure if the on stage is good for samus over ganon, but i play neither character so i'll stay away from that one LOL

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
you're forgetting the ease samus has of getting into the barrell as well

bomb stall, rising grapple, UB, and if you become use to the barrel it's not so easy to edge guard a samus projectile by ganon, and you at least won't get gimped
Speaking of which,what's the best technique to avoid messing up the Rising Grapple? That's one of the lamest ways to SD when you mess up.:c

SUNG475

Smash Ace
Sometimes when I bomb into someone, I don't get that small mini jump it's weird I get a lot less height and I can't follow up, is there a reason for this?

AIDS

Smash Lord
Sometimes when I bomb into someone, I don't get that small mini jump it's weird I get a lot less height and I can't follow up, is there a reason for this?
If you are getting "a smaller bomb jump" the only answer I have for you is your playing brawl. If you get no bomb jump the answer is either as posted above you still have invincibility from just spawning, or else you just did it too slow and didn't time the second bomb properly.

DarrellD

Smash Ace
If you are getting "a smaller bomb jump" the only answer I have for you is your playing brawl. If you get no bomb jump the answer is either as posted above you still have invincibility from just spawning, or else you just did it too slow and didn't time the second bomb properly.
No this has happened to me before, but I just wrote it off as something that was random

Geist

Smash Master
Random question
When you get hit with a strong move while shielding and you slide backwards, there's a split second where your shield visibly disappears. As far as I know, it's still technically there and you can't get hit, but I want to know for sure.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Isn't that when they powershield the bomb? You don't get a bomb jump, the bomb just lies next to them

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Naw try it
Have someone like falcon fsmash your shield. You slide back, and then for a split second it disappears, and then it comes back.
Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about. It happens on occasion when hit by certain strong moves, like Falco's Dair or something. The color of the shield disappears and there remains a slight luster from the hitstun.

And to answer your question, yes the shield is still there and working.

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah I figured. Thanks for the confirmation. I had never actually noticed it myself and a friend I'm training asked me.

DarrellD

Smash Ace
Question! I like that song :D

When I get hit by falcon, DIing down and away makes the combo look nice and I just end up losing a stock. Is there a proper way to DI, do I suck at combo DI, should I DI hard as **** up? Or pick fox?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i think samus can actually DI up because of how floaty she is.

also Ihavespaceballs is the best Samus.

abcool

Smash Ace
Hey guys. I notice hugo uses this trick where he jabs a shield dashes off and pivot ftilt. Is there a trick to this? I did it once on this peach main and it caught him offguard and i feel it's somewhat safe. I can't do it all the time, it's sooo hard or i povit fsmash...can someone give me advice?

Is their an easier way?

Pi

Smash Hero
idk man pivot ftilt seems mad sketchy
though i'm sure you can become consistent at anything you practice
it's something i've never been able to pinpoint and explain in detail to someone who wants to do it

though i think there may be something to doing the down angled ftilt, i believe there is an angle that only allows for an ftilt and not a fsmash

abcool

Smash Ace
idk man pivot ftilt seems mad sketchy
though i'm sure you can become consistent at anything you practice
it's something i've never been able to pinpoint and explain in detail to someone who wants to do it

though i think there may be something to doing the down angled ftilt, i believe there is an angle that only allows for an ftilt and not a fsmash
MonkUnit will know the answer to that question. What angle is he talking about? I know you have all the samus data because of project m.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ftilt and Fsmash both have up, neutral, and down angles. There's probably something going on with Crouch overriding dash that might make down angled ftilt easier to pivot, otherwise not really.

Pi

Smash Hero
Ftilt and Fsmash both have up, neutral, and down angles. There's probably something going on with Crouch overriding dash that might make down angled ftilt easier to pivot, otherwise not really.
i'm pretty sure i saw a image claiming there was an angle on the control stick that allowed either only for an fsmash or only for a ftilt at that angle

ima try to find it, but not very hard

abcool

Smash Ace
Aight guys thanks. Ima try another method at a tourney on saturday. I have been doing well with samus here. Ppl think it's because no one knows the matchup, but sheik is still a B*** to play...

Pi

Smash Hero
yea i keep getting told that nobody knows the matchup here either
but now we have 2 samus placing high in tournaments for like a year now

by now you should know something lol

Violence

Smash Lord
Darrell: I got faceraped by Scar, but one thing I noticed is that he picks up on DI patterns(though I think it's unconscious, he just gains the ability to sort of expect where you're going to DI if you keep doing it down and away), such that the next time he hits you, he'll slam a knee into you offstage as you think you're safe.

What I think you can do is DI consciously differently whenever he hits you. Go from down and away to just away to up and away. It's really hard to combo something when you don't know where exactly they're going to be.

I wanted to try it out on Scar, but our two matches were over too quickly, definitely got my **** pushed in by auto DI down and away.

Top Bottom