• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think missiles will knock your opponent out of grab. So if you actually want to use a throw, it's best ti time the throw for just after the missile hits shield.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I cannot travel
Unless expenses are paid.
Don't ever get poor.

It is a good thing
you don't pay for length of grabs,
extender for miles.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
sry, i dont have any old vids. they might have a few vids from this tourny i just went to, but they havent been posted yet. i'll post a link if some get posted.

i'm fairly new to the tourny scene so thats why i dont have any vids. i'm going a tourny on the 21st, and i'll be sure to record some of my matches then :)

Geist

Smash Master
whenever someone ends a sentence or a post in '...' I always think they're speaking with a sinister tone.
For that reason, violence, I just imagined you disposing of all the sheik players one by one with piano wire in a godfather-esque montage.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
With all this effort put into hacking a flawed game, I don't know why someone/everyone just doesn't make a better game from scratch. Seems like the knowledge might be there.

abcool

Smash Ace
With all this effort put into hacking a flawed game, I don't know why someone/everyone just doesn't make a better game from scratch. Seems like the knowledge might be there.
If you mean modifying Brawl differently then they did that already with Brawl+. The downside to that is no one will want to play it because you are making Smash with the mindset of "The way you see the game through your eyes" to much conflict or interest. Project M makes the most sense because it already has a target audience and that is eaiser to translate into making a Melee 2.0. Now don't get wrong they are making some characters from scratch though(Lucario, Wario, Lucas etc) without starting completely from scratch at the sametime, so if people don't like the "new" the old vets are still their.

We all in here know Samus weaknessess and what she needs to be good. All Project M devs do is apply those changes and we are happy for the buffs and so are they for giving us the product and it having mass appeal.

Anyway, i too believe the Project M team should have released Samus in 2.0 because Samus mains only really play her in Melee, but i can wait until the physics are a little more fine toned before she comes.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
What I meant was make a game so that you/the community can do whatever they want. There are so many limitations to hacking something.

If everyone put the effort of hacking brawl into making a complete game, then everyone can actually design whatever they want, i.e. not being able to do the homing feature for the extender in hacks.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yes, but where the creative freedom and control are greatly benefited from such a plan, you lose far more in accessibility: in that everyone has a Wii, that it doesn't require advance knowledge to use, and can be easily updated. Making a game on a different platform would inevitably require using a device that would bear much cost on the project and/or would limit the user base by being used through a different medium; proliferation: in order to play project melee you need Brawl, which many smashers have, and a 2gb SD card or less; Platform: With a new game, you may be required to play on a computer, which would need to be made to work with PC, Mac, and other OS's. Some people may not have gaming quality computers. If not computer, then playing on some device may require making CD's to be used in a player; Price: If the game is brought to a console, somehow, you would require discs. These cost money. The cost would be shunted onto the player in some form, either in development costs or through requiring buying a CD for the game. With SD cards, everyone usually has one in a phone, camera, or other digital device and doesn't have to forever be dedicated to the game.

In essence, hacking a pre-existing game address issues of creator/user compatibility, community exposure, minimal cost requirements, simple distribution, and rapid development. It may not be the way that gives the most freedom, but it is the most effective direction to come from.

abcool

Smash Ace
What I meant was make a game so that you/the community can do whatever they want. There are so many limitations to hacking something.

If everyone put the effort of hacking brawl into making a complete game, then everyone can actually design whatever they want, i.e. not being able to do the homing feature for the extender in hacks.
So, essentially you're saying they should just give Samus brand new moves and not try to remake her Melee status? If they did that they would just alienate Samus mains from using the character. I already explained the brand new game engine kinda thing. An if you mean a brand new game just like Smash i think you want these guys to be sued.

Either way, they are already walking a fine line just having this game have soo much exposure. I believe one of the key reasons nintendo hasn't hit them with a C&D is because they're basing this game off of a past iteration of the game. They also know some fans are displeased about the way Brawl was changed so drastically from Melee, so in a sense the results from this game may give them(Nintendo) somemore insight on if Melee was as bad as Sakurai made it out to be.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, but where the creative freedom and control are greatly benefited from such a plan, you lose far more in accessibility: in that everyone has a Wii, that it doesn't require advance knowledge to use, and can be easily updated. Making a game on a different platform would inevitably require using a device that would bear much cost on the project and/or would limit the user base by being used through a different medium; proliferation: in order to play project melee you need Brawl, which many smashers have, and a 2gb SD card or less; Platform: With a new game, you may be required to play on a computer, which would need to be made to work with PC, Mac, and other OS's. Some people may not have gaming quality computers. If not computer, then playing on some device may require making CD's to be used in a player; Price: If the game is brought to a console, somehow, you would require discs. These cost money. The cost would be shunted onto the player in some form, either in development costs or through requiring buying a CD for the game. With SD cards, everyone usually has one in a phone, camera, or other digital device and doesn't have to forever be dedicated to the game.

In essence, hacking a pre-existing game address issues of creator/user compatibility, community exposure, minimal cost requirements, simple distribution, and rapid development. It may not be the way that gives the most freedom, but it is the most effective direction to come from.
I disagree with you for the most part, as you can say everyone has a Wii (which you can't say, some Melee player's may not have a Wii!), I can state that everyone has a computer, because they post on Smashboards and technically I could be more right. Granted some computers may not be able to play it, if there was such a project, but I bet a majority of computers would if it was made properly and the computer is newer than 4 years old. If you are a competitive gamer chances are you play other games and own a decent PC.

Addressing the "doesn't require advance knowledge to use", in some cases I disagree, a game can be made to be downloaded and installed effortlessly (if you know how to use a computer) without having to purchase any other equipment or know how to hack a Wii or anything. (Btw: I don't think Project M works on pal Discs or Wii, so I guess you meant everyone has a NTSC region Wii).

With respect to proliferation, you don't need to buy anything except a computer which most people have. Even if you didn't your argument is moot because I think more people have computers than they do Wiis. Updates can be packaged online or deployed right to the application.

A new game would never be made for a console unless it was some open-source one. It would almost definitely be made for the PC/Mac/Linux or all if the developer(s) know what their doing.

However I do agree with the C&D claims that Nintendo could make, but technically I think hacking a game may break more laws than making a new one and using existing I.P. without distributing it for money does. As long as you don't steal property and try to sell it as your own I think you can get around most copyright laws.

Sorry for the WOT, but a PC game developed to be open source if done *properly*, has major benefits across the board for a majority of people (barring those with really bad/no computers).

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Project M is not compatible with PAL discs but you can install homebrew through LetterBomb. You'd need to install an NTSC brawl ISO to use a USB loader for Project M though, which is illegal regardless if you own brawl already iirc. Might depend on your area's law though, idk.

Anyways, a PAL version of Project M is on the to-do list but is on the back burner for now due to limited PAL coders/porters and PAL testers.

:phone:

Geist

Smash Master
I disagree with you for the most part, as you can say everyone has a Wii (which you can't say, some Melee player's may not have a Wii!), I can state that everyone has a computer, because they post on Smashboards and technically I could be more right. Granted some computers may not be able to play it, if there was such a project, but I bet a majority of computers would if it was made properly and the computer is newer than 4 years old. If you are a competitive gamer chances are you play other games and own a decent PC.

Addressing the "doesn't require advance knowledge to use", in some cases I disagree, a game can be made to be downloaded and installed effortlessly (if you know how to use a computer) without having to purchase any other equipment or know how to hack a Wii or anything. (Btw: I don't think Project M works on pal Discs or Wii, so I guess you meant everyone has a NTSC region Wii).

With respect to proliferation, you don't need to buy anything except a computer which most people have. Even if you didn't your argument is moot because I think more people have computers than they do Wiis. Updates can be packaged online or deployed right to the application.

A new game would never be made for a console unless it was some open-source one. It would almost definitely be made for the PC/Mac/Linux or all if the developer(s) know what their doing.

However I do agree with the C&D claims that Nintendo could make, but technically I think hacking a game may break more laws than making a new one and using existing I.P. without distributing it for money does. As long as you don't steal property and try to sell it as your own I think you can get around most copyright laws.

Sorry for the WOT, but a PC game developed to be open source if done *properly*, has major benefits across the board for a majority of people (barring those with really bad/no computers).
The real problem of making a game from scratch is the required assets that all need to be modeled, designed, rigged, animated, post-processed and developed, not to mention time constraints that are involved with creating an efficient work pipeline and getting enough people to volunteer for a free project.
Project M has taken long enough to finish, by the time it's actually done I'm sure the next real smash will have been released lol

The only way I'd see a fully original fan made smash game become plausible is if it was done in true 2d like most anime fighters on some sort of crappy open source engine. Even the MUGEN engine isn't free now.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I had been contemplating making a 2d platform fighter at one point. My problem came when I thought about how to code DI...

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
The real problem of making a game from scratch is the required assets that all need to be modeled, designed, rigged, animated, post-processed and developed, not to mention time constraints that are involved with creating an efficient work pipeline and getting enough people to volunteer for a free project.
Project M has taken long enough to finish, by the time it's actually done I'm sure the next real smash will have been released lol

The only way I'd see a fully original fan made smash game become plausible is if it was done in true 2d like most anime fighters on some sort of crappy open source engine. Even the MUGEN engine isn't free now.
Luckily for us, you know how to model right? :bee:

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah It'd probably be fun to make an engine. Mine would be 3D. 3D usually makes for a much more spectacular looking game, and with Ogre3D you got some good stuff going. You can probably roll out your own physics engine but you'd probably be better off just using the new PhysX or Havok

Top Bottom