• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
By no means I want to revolutionize Samus, and I don't follow Lean Melee to the core, but it was a good read. Going to be posting some videos soon but I think I'd like to take a look at them first and see what I can pull away from them.

At this point, I've become familiar enough with what seems to work on certain characters and what doesn't. The run and gun Samus with no L-cancels, mashing buttons(exaggeration), and missed recoveries on stupid battlefield is over. Now it's time to break this character down piece by piece and put together something sick.

I figure the training regiment will go something like this:

Technical Skill:

- Missile Cancel Spamming
- SWD(not as important but I'd like to see more uses for it)
- L-canceling with my new found floaty friend(emtpy and on shield)
- Wavedashing(Not much needed here, Samus' wavedash is pretty easy but a little more practice wouldn't hurt)
- L-canceling on a shield when aerialing from the edge
- Shield pressure options
- DROPPING THROUGH PLATFORMS FASTER AFTER LANDING

Mental Game:

- Reserved for a later date lol

EDIT: No one told me you can moonwalk with Samus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snk_NoHGsKs&feature=player_detailpage#t=434s

Double EDIT: Can someone link me to the official crew battles rules?

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
yeah, she can moonwalk, but i think she has one of the shortest moonwalks (if not the shortest). also, on battlefield, i usually airdodge straight up from below the edge if i'm trying to sweetspot the edge. or if ur farther away, airdodge straight towards the ledge. or if u go for the part underneath, after u pull up, try to wall jump or float away so u can up-b to the ledge.

again, idk if u know this, but Phanna is a samus player who uses SWD like a boss. check these out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0IZyDCKxQ&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL7C4CC9FAF1FA5009
i think the 3rd one might be the best

and also this, if u havent seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnT_eaOVNJ4

yeah...u'll be a pro samus in no time, yup.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Mad respects.

Also, after taking a good look at my gameplay my aerial game is good but I still spend way too much time in the air. I still have that Falcon mentality where every approach is from above. I find myself sometimes approaching with dair. I need to wavedash more and space my tilts better. When being shield pressured I sometimes have the urge to shieldgrab when instead I should use my screw attack.

I did however use more bombs to throw off opponents/break combos etc. I need to use WAY MORE missiles and combine them with my platform movement.

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
if you're opponent is shielding every time you ledge hop, don't forget, you can bomb jump off of their shield. you can do multiple things out of this such as wave land, aerials, drop another bomb etc.

ledge hop > UNcharged shot >re-grab ledge is a nice mix up every so often too. it fakes out your opponent and you can find what move they were planning on doing. such as CC'ng into something, WD'ing back, shielding, etc. it allows you to pick up on their edge guarding habits, and also gives you an idea of how to get around them. and if it hits them, they allowed you time to get back up onto the stage a bit safer.

jab cancels are one of the most important parts of samus' game IMO. its virtually her only way to apply consistent shield pressure. jabs can be spaced outside of the shield grab range of every character besides marth i believe. (link, y.link, and samus don't count since they shouldn't be shield grabbing you lol.)

Violence pointed out to me you can do jab cancels by angling you're control stick into the Down/Away notch instead of pressing down after every jab. which is a much more efficient way doing them in most circumstances.
i seriously can't thank you enough Violence!

some other stuff i figure is worth mentioning.

-if marth is jumping around doing his wall of fairs/nairs routine, start to move in ever so slightly (do not be intimidated and let him pressure you to the edge of the stage with this) and when you have your opening, dash attack before he lands/dash grab him when he lands/simply WD in Ftilt or jab.

-if marth approaches with nair/fair, either crouch cancel Dsmash or WD/DD back and grab/Dsmash.

-if marth is dashing dancing, start to DD too and find and opportunity to shoot a missile (outside of his dash attack range!) and then move in quickly with Ftilts/jabs/grabs.

-for ganon, just DD a whole bunch. it will make him feel uneasy about approaching with aerials since they are rather predictable and easily punished. if he still does, use Uangled Ftilt/WD back and Dsmash to set up for an edge guard/Dtilt to start up a combo (ganon can be combo'ed for days by samus).

-when ganon is on the defense and doing his retreating fair crap, shoot a few missiles, and then come in with Uangled Ftilt to catch him if he jumps/jabs if he stays in shield/grab if your feeling ball-zee.

(this is just some basic stuff i like to do and find it works pretty well, so i figured i'd throw it out there for you.)

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Do you guys Isai drop to go through platforms faster?

EDIT: F***, left disk at friends house can't practice.

SAMUS MAINS POST MOAR

Corigames

Smash Hero
Samus mains are all about that dodge and punish. Asking us to be proactive in conversation is asking too much.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Does anyone have any general tips on the Falcon matchup? I'm doing "okay" against him but I feel like there are a few things I should be exploiting but I'm not.

:phone:

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Samus mains are all about that dodge and punish. Asking us to be proactive in conversation is asking too much.
^^ perfect.

hmmm, falcon eh? i usually win this matchup in an ugly fashion. i get beat around some, land a downsmash or dtilt and follow up with bairs for a wall of pain edgeguard. so, basically execute ur edgeguards, cause i think falcon is an easier character to edgeguard...sometimes. other than that, couch cancel. my friend uses falcon as a secondary and i remember dtilt canceling with something (it always made him mad). so, it would cancel and i would spam it again and it would hit...i'll have to ask him to see if he remembers what move it cancels. also, another thing i learned: dont be too scared of his dair. when i'm under him i almost always get my uair off before his dair comes out. yup, thats bout it. not much.

@iRobinhoood, concerning missile cancels. on the short hopped platform cancels, i found out that i actually do the missile too quick sometimes. this would often cause the animation to cut off and the missile to not fire. idk, just something i realized, i really think ur dropping through platform problem is all about timing.

Violence

Smash Lord
cause i think falcon is an easier character to edgeguard
*sigh* I've played JeffSpectre in three matches now, and I have yet to take a stock. Dude lives until over 200% against me, I just can't edgeguard him...

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
*sigh* I've played JeffSpectre in three matches now, and I have yet to take a stock. Dude lives until over 200% against me, I just can't edgeguard him...
yeaaaa...the falcon i've played against isnt that good. i guess mediocre DI is a requirement for my dsmash > bair > bair > edgeguard. but still, i feel like the he has less options when recovering. (i'd probly be lucky to get a hit on spectre tho)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
That glitch doesnt make sense to me. The game is perfectly capable of handling grabs on the same frame. Port advantage breaks the tie

Corigames

Smash Hero
Hey, it didn't make sense to me either, but that's my best explanation. I extender grappled, he charged at me, while I was pulling in the grapple I hit A, at the same time he did a JC grab, we hear that little sound that plays when you grab someone, and the next thing I know we're frozen in space with the music still playing.

Perhaps the extender grapple wasn't programmed the same way as other grabs to default to port priority, therefore causing this to happen instead?

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Force Falcon to sweet spot everytime, otherwise punish. And if he goes for the sweet spot, wavedash to ledge hog and put on your cool face.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Had a tournament this weekend. It was a 6 man tournament... and Wobbles and AXE were both there. LOL. Got ***** D:

However, the other people playing Melee were having fun watching the extender games from mah sammy. Feels good man.

Geist

Smash Master
Force Falcon to sweet spot everytime, otherwise punish. And if he goes for the sweet spot, wavedash to ledge hog and put on your cool face.
I think the problem was edgeguarding silentspectre, not edgeguarding falcon

with good sdi and consistent teching/ mixups you'd be surprised how persistent a Falcon can be when recovering.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Had a tournament this weekend. It was a 6 man tournament... and Wobbles and AXE were both there. LOL. Got ***** D:

However, the other people playing Melee were having fun watching the extender games from mah sammy. Feels good man.
I know that feel bro.

I think the problem was edgeguarding silentspectre, not edgeguarding falcon

with good sdi and consistent teching/ mixups you'd be surprised how persistent a Falcon can be when recovering.
Agreed. When I played Falcon I felt my recoveries were pretty decent. Except against Marths and Falco. Those fsmashes and dairs bro :c

Samus fixes that a bit :smirk:

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
ah, i can see their faces now... :)

i'm going to a tourny this saturday, i'm hoping to give samus some good representation. maybe i'll break out the ol' extender...

any practice/pre-tourny tips?

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Give them nothing but take from them everything.

...is basically how I feel when playing Samus. A sort of "Your options, give them to me" mentality.

Corigames

Smash Hero
You want my advice?
Go punch people... with your gun.
Then you will have won.

Another thing, guys.
We have been missing something.
We need more haiku.

Top Bottom