• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Corigames

Smash Hero
Do you guys do training exercises? Any time I sit down to practice I just get bored and end up fighting a computer instead. I don't do drills that well I guess, or maybe I'm just lazy. I don't know, but I don't think it's for me. What do you guys do to practice if you do at all?

Violence

Smash Lord
Johnny's L Canceling practice has helped. I've also been doing drills on a 9 handicap Bowser in fixed crouch cancel mode to improve shield pressure and general movement.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
yea, i know what u mean. i get bored sometimes too. if/when i get sick of drilling i usually try to see how well i can combo a cpu. and i try different weighted characters to practice combos. also, i try to think up creative movement and combos because i think mixing things up is a major part of samus gameplay. so i try to think of different moves/movements/combos. i practice being unpredicable.

i dont really have a set drilling routine tho. i usually just pick something: wavelanding everywhere, ledge game, missile spam, or swd. also, if a get bored, sometimes i try another character to try and understand them better. figure out their best appoaches, ledge game, and flaws.

oh, s2j recently posted a practice he does. 3 IC's on a team, no friendly fire, on yoshi's story. helps with timing lcancels. idk, not terribly helpful for samus, but i still had some fun with it.

abcool

Smash Ace
Only way to improve with Samus IMO is to break bad habits, she isn't really a tech machine, but you do get screwed a lot when you make playing her a reactionary thing. If someone touches my shield i auto up-b and so on. I also learn how to space better when walking instead of always wavedashing so much, it's like she is just about breaking bad habits and making good decisions. You got the missile tech stuff though.
I just think overall it's about keeping your cool and getting good reads.

Violence

Smash Lord
No, I think the technical ceiling with Samus is quite high. I've found my fingers just can't keep up with what my brain wants to do a lot of the time.

abcool

Smash Ace
No, I think the technical ceiling with Samus is quite high. I've found my fingers just can't keep up with what my brain wants to do a lot of the time.
Isn't that more along the lines of who you are fighting though?! I mean like If you're fighting Puff with Fox/Falco you are pretty much still consistently doing AT no matter the situation. Now with Samus you are pretty much making good bad decisions. Now, if you wanna be fancy and bombwave land and aerial cancel/hylian low rider etc. Then yeah she is. The most difficult thing or consistent thing i think most Samus mains do is wavedash/waveland no matter the matchup.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Isn't that more along the lines of who you are fighting though?! I mean like If you're fighting Puff with Fox/Falco you are pretty much still consistently doing AT no matter the situation. Now with Samus you are pretty much making good bad decisions. Now, if you wanna be fancy and bombwave land and aerial cancel/hylian low rider etc. Then yeah she is. The most difficult thing or consistent thing i think most Samus mains do is wavedash/waveland no matter the matchup.
In some MUs, yes, Samus's difficulty probably comes from getting her proper reads and choices and less on her tech skill, but I do think Samus can be a technically demanding character. For instance, incorporating bombs into your combos can be a little on the tech side. Autocancelled uairs are also fairly technical, imo.

Here is an exemplary situation: Samus is recovering via bomb jumping, while weaving in and out to avoid attacks from a Fox standing extremely near the ledge. Now consider the following sequence:
Bomb jump > DJ fair/nair/uair/dair (possibly FF'd near the end while also maneuvering away from the stage) to knock fox down or away > rising grapple cancel > super missile > ledge grab > let go as soon as possible > DJ > AC uair > dsmash

IMO, this sequence is actually quite technical and requires a good deal of skill to successfully execute in its entirety.

abcool

Smash Ace
It's not hard for me. I started off as a Fox main trying to double shine into wavedash. Picking up Samus wasn't that hard for me besides her cancels with using uair from the ledge. Overall, her being technical doesn't do much for me since i associate technical with being aggresive. Which i try so hard not to play Samus that way. I get most of not all my advice from HugS. Who is patient as hell and the most technical thing i see him do is pivot ftilt and make good decisions.

I don't think she is a technical character i can practice tech skill with. Maybe, to others she is.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Almost all of hher tech is gimmicky. You can throw people off with some of the stuff, but it's not practical like with other characters. Imo

:phone:

Geist

Smash Master
I have to disagree with stuff here. Samus isn't technical in terms of fast input, but in terms of precision. Pretty much all of her moves and options require pretty good situational awareness to get any effective use out of them. Precision ftilts, frame advantages and out of shield maneuvers are really difficult to pull off well, especially since most of the time samus is outclassed by the other character. Since samus has less options than lots of characters, the requirement of using these things properly is really high.
Precision technical skill is so overlooked yo

Corigames

Smash Hero
OMG I was searching for that video just ****ing yesterday and couldn't figure out why no matter what I searched I couldn't find it.

Thank you sooooooooo much.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
man that video was awesome! whoosh!

i wont be at FC :( i was gonna go with my friend but he got screwed with some other plans. i'm gonna try to go to the big house 2. it'd be sweet to see some pro samus in action.

also, i totally agree with geist. i also agree that her technical ceiling is very high tho, just not practical. i mean, if we we're all super awesome and perfect at swd and uair cancels and the like, samus would be very technically demanding. but its just not practical because we cant pull that stuff off consistently enough.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah It'd probably be fun to make an engine. Mine would be 3D. 3D usually makes for a much more spectacular looking game, and with Ogre3D you got some good stuff going. You can probably roll out your own physics engine but you'd probably be better off just using the new PhysX or Havok
Good information! I feel like any platform/fighter would need a custom engine in order to capture the depth. I really like what the smash series has done by making full 3D but movement only on 2D.

.tea©

Smash Journeyman
Sup guys. =D I placed 3rd a German National with ~60 Entrants last weekend. :D Ice got 1st, Ravenlord (the Fox who beat Hungrybox in a MM at Apex) got 2nd. I messed up in Loser Finals, but Ravenlord deserved the win. :p

I will post videos as soon as they´re on youtube.

Corigames

Smash Hero
^Me too

Played from 06-08, stopped playing from 09-11, then started playing again around this time last year. The almost 3 year absence from the game left me a bit crippled, but I think I finally have gotten over my mental limitations and started getting back on track with my play style and focus.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Not forward, that's a D-tilt or downward angled F-tilt.

Basically, crouch and roll the control stick to the next notch in the controller. Your character should still be crouched, but, when you press A, you will jab instead of D-tilting or doing a pivot F-tilt. It's a very precise position, so it takes some practice to learn how to go from DD, Aerial, or otherwise into it without messing up and doing something wrong, but it's not hard.

Geist

Smash Master
i feel i know a lot about samus. but i'd never heard of auto-cancelled upairs before. can someone please explain?
Using some aerials moves samus's hitboxes in a way that causes her to snap to a ledge or platform. With uair you pretty much time the move at the point samus's shoulders touch the platform.
You get no lag by ending this way since the move doesn't actually start

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
on some real ****, i been playing project m, and i can't find a character that speaks to me in the way samus does in melee. anyone got suggestions on someone to dedicate time to? or do i wait for samus? do i accept that **** and move on from her >_< ? uGHGH and don't say R.O.B please. that ***** is whack, and sucks *****es balls. i been working on lucas, but he's to space animal like, nd he's forced to be campy in a game where he won't win being so. help me. someone..i'm tired of losing to my friends whack *** bowser.

.tea©

Smash Journeyman
I really enjoyed your FC matches on the stream Duck. :) I heard you´ve been to France? How was it? Who did you play?

By the way is there an easy way to powershield as Samus? Like powershielding from the dash or from the crouch? I working on my powershielding game at the moment and I feel like powershielding from the dash is a bit easier.

Geist

Smash Master
on some real ****, i been playing project m, and i can't find a character that speaks to me in the way samus does in melee. anyone got suggestions on someone to dedicate time to? or do i wait for samus? do i accept that **** and move on from her >_< ? uGHGH and don't say R.O.B please. that ***** is whack, and sucks *****es balls. i been working on lucas, but he's to space animal like, nd he's forced to be campy in a game where he won't win being so. help me. someone..i'm tired of losing to my friends whack *** bowser.
rob is actually pretty good

Top Bottom