• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Corigames

Smash Hero
I play Pit. Aside from that, just random Melee characters that I can play like they do in Melee.

As for powershielding... I press R when I'm about to get hit. I don't dash, crouch, turn away or anything.

abcool

Smash Ace
I play Wario. He is soo much fun and precision is everything especially how everything with him flows into shoulderbash. Actually helped improve my Samus in Melee. In the meantime just find someone that counters bowser. I would say Ganon or Ike.

I can't wait to play Samus aswell since she is Melee Samus with actual kill power other than charge beam.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Woo yeah another Pit player! Anyhow, I feel that Pit is like Samus with good shffl'd ariels. He has a great projectile and great defensive options.

:phone:

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I shottied Pit as my character for Brawl's release! That was until I played Brawl = \

Great news, I will be streaming my Samus tonight around 8:30PM EST

http://www.twitch.tv/ticosmash

Watch out for that Purple Samus B)

Edit: My apologies guys, no one really taking it serious tonight. Most of my matches weren't on the main station =p

i feel i know a lot about samus. but i'd never heard of auto-cancelled upairs before. can someone please explain?
Using some aerials moves samus's hitboxes in a way that causes her to snap to a ledge or platform. With uair you pretty much time the move at the point samus's shoulders touch the platform.
You get no lag by ending this way since the move doesn't actually start
I know of a short clip where this happens frequently, if you don't mind me posting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoDKZRV0-ps&t=6m49s

rob is actually pretty good
yeah he's pretty fun

......luuucaaaaassss......

With all this effort put into hacking a flawed game, I don't know why someone/everyone just doesn't make a better game from scratch. Seems like the knowledge might be there.
Yeah It'd probably be fun to make an engine. Mine would be 3D. 3D usually makes for a much more spectacular looking game, and with Ogre3D you got some good stuff going. You can probably roll out your own physics engine but you'd probably be better off just using the new PhysX or Havok
'dude why you hacking this game waste of time
btw too much effort to program new engine just use old'

lol noobobob

pls dun ban

pls

i'm really pretty in real life.

multiple spoilers are fun

jk about the pretty thing idk why i said that

i have pics.

of coreygames

' mom.

Bro! Nice video! Music is great (i think title is fitting :p haha), editing is straightforward, you got a nice variety of clips in there, and it's short and sweet :samus:

Also you have 'Oro' in the url. Subtle. (Also, small note - it looks like the video rendered with blank space above and below... any ideas why?)

But yeah, make more if you got clips.

ATTN: EVERYONE SHOULD TRY A COMBO VIDEO

editing is hella fun and hella easy. the painful part is figuring out the equipment to record stuff - getting your clips can be the hardest part. but, there's multiple ways to do it, and one way isn't necessarily better than another: you could make a great vid using a digital camera and windows movie maker (and that's also the easiest way). just start recording.

Corigames

Smash Hero
The problem I had with that video was that I was using clips saved on my laptop from 09 and 2010 in conjunction with tournament vids off of youtube from '11-12. I had no idea what the native codex's were nor how to get them right or anything. I ended up taking the youtube clips, saving them, then uploading all my clips to youtube, then I edited together using youtube's editor (which didn't give a **** about what the file type was) to make one big video in synch with my music by replaying it in the background while lining up my clips, then exported that, then used movie maker to add the song and then uploaded that.

tl;dr
Workaround

Neither fun or easy. That said, I will be recording more and on the same recording device, so that shouldn't be a frequent problem.

Edit:
I too have pictures of my mom.

Edit edit:
Corigames ;)

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
ah, i remember that combo vid. thanks for the link to the specific part -philip coast philip-

i'm def gonna make a combo vid probly late this year. i havent gone to many tournies yet or had much of my play recorded.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Gunpunch do you also main a Peach?

> Melee Singles Results for RAGE http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325578
:)

no i'm not a peach main. at the second tourny i went to, i went to register and gave them my tag. The guy then randomly says something like, "Gunpunch the peach main! Best peach in Pittsburgh!" None of these ppl knew me at all, and i told them i was a samus main. But he kept saying it. And i did decent at this tourny and ppl actually regonized me, so idk. The joke just stuck. I guess it stuck so well that they are putting the peach pic by my name.

Good times though. I almost got 3rd in teams with my friend who taught me to play competitively. We actually sent the team who got third to losers bracket. Then we got sent to losers and had to face them again...and lost.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324961

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
haha, yea. well i'm doing my best. i have been the only samus at the last two tournies i went to. soooo, i'm trying to build the samus rep.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
My last and only tournament was Apex 2012 but I hadn't rele discovered Samus yet let alone a higher level of play that I'm at now. I'm gonna focus on the next local tournament and see what I can do.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Not mine. Not unless you want to play at a 2007-8 level. Real basic stuff.

That thing needs to be torn down and redone. AIDS is gone, for all I know and, personally, I didn't like his wall of text better than mine.

Violence

Smash Lord
The thing is, though our three best players(disregarding Papa Hugo because he's retired atm, but even he applies to this if we increase it to four best players) have very different Samuses and I think they would disagree about a lot of stuff. Samus is pretty open ended. Darrell is relatively aggressive while Duck and Plup are more passive aggressive. Duck prefers to stay grounded, while Darrell and Plup utilize platforms more. Darrell likes to space with dash dancing and wavedashing, Plup and Duck generally spend more time in the standing animation and move around with walks and dashes into wavedashes.

And if we throw Hugo into the mix, Hugo likes to switch between being relatively stationary to moving very quickly in short bursts, baiting with movement into shield. He loves to bait with a backwards dash dance, where the initial backward dash is held for slightly longer than normal, similar to a Marth(M2K's in particular).

I mean, I can talk for days about these four, but where they overlap is just fundamentals, I suppose. Don't get hit, space at your opponent's approach distances, punish hard... I dunno what more there is to say on the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4a4GIhcB1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdKiEhXFv6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMDurSTVnAk

These matches are all from the same time period, vs the same Falco, you can see how they each handle it differently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh27fon0dvc

And one for Darrell vs a better Falco.

Violence

Smash Lord
I think he's just below the level of the others.

I played with Spaceballs at Gen2, and by no means do I think he's a bad player, but I think he's in a slightly lower tier than those 4.

Plup, Darrell, Duck, and Hugo have all made it into national brackets.

Afaik, I haven't seen Spaceballs do the same. Am I mistaken?

Edit: OH SNAP I misread the date on Plup's vid, disregard that vid.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Agreed and leaves an open perspective on Samus players to choose who they want to be. As for stage choice though against certain characters, I could probably use help.

Violence

Smash Lord
Uhh idk what nationals spaceballs has gone to but hes generally gets pretty high at SMYM/POE/MIST
He was at Gen2.

I don't know what your argument here is. Darrell placed well at RoM4, and made Apex 2012 bracket along with Plup and HugS. Hugo has had the best tournament history out of everyone here. Duck did well at the Big House and Melee-FC.

SMYM, POE, and MIST aren't comparable tournaments to the scale that I'm talking about.

Violence

Smash Lord
Agreed and leaves an open perspective on Samus players to choose who they want to be. As for stage choice though against certain characters, I could probably use help.
Some Samuses love FD, some of them hate FD. Some of them love Yoshi's, some of them hate Yoshi's. Some of them love DL64 even against campy players, and some don't...

We can't even agree on those things.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. It doesnt have to be perfect. A lot of the stuff in the falcon index is just links to single posts that are really informative or helpful. Also, ppl can decide whether or not they agree with what certain players post. An index is still helpful. Then ppl can easily find top post from top players that they want to emulate, compare the ideas of top players, and hopefully form their own style from those things. The fact that ppl can play samus in different ways is part of what makes samus great. Actually, i think thats true with a few characters. not every fox plays the same.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Don't get hit, space at your opponent's approach distances, punish hard... I dunno what more there is to say on the issue.
RECOVER

You must recover... at 400 percent.

Also, I want to point out that the purpose of naming Plup, Darrel, Duck, and Hugs was to show that there is a diversity of Samus styles. Putting Ihavespaceballs on that list is important too, because his style is distinct from those: aggressive and high technical.

Edit #2:
Wow, S2J is a ****-
"unless samus is bad (every samus except hugs and maybe 1-2 more)"
"it's an extremely easy matchup once you know what to do. Most samuses suck so its 70-30."
"note that most of this info is only relevant against hugs, every other samus is so flawed that
if you follow the basics like knee after missed d-smash/up-b you should always win."

I think if you looked at the total number of Samus players and compared it to the total number of other higher tiered characters, there would be more high caliber Samus players than most of the other kinds. Could be wrong, but considering the number of vastly mediocre Foxes, Falcos, Shieks, Falcons, etc. I've played, I can't say that Samus is worse than those.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Next national i go to, my falcon vs any samus MM

LEH GO!
exactly what i was thinking.

also, for any MU: "if you follow the basics like *insert your character's top move(s)* and *insert common flaw of oppenent* you should always win." basically, corigames is completely right. there are a lot of flawed players all around.

McNinja

Smash Ace
exactly what i was thinking.

also, for any MU: "if you follow the basics like *insert your character's top move(s)* and *insert common flaw of oppenent* you should always win." basically, corigames is completely right. there are a lot of flawed players all around.
This. So much of this.

:phone:

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Not my best night as Samus. I've noticed I've been getting roll grabbed a lot. I think it's my spacing, when I pressure I'm a bit too close to the opponent.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
haha, very nice corigames.

learn to read their rolls, punish with f-smash or grab, then roll to taunt them.

after some practice you should be able to anticipate, especially if you play the some ppl alot. I can read most of my roommates rolls. I know when i've pressured for this long, they will usually roll. Or: after i do this they try to roll away. Stop your pressure a little early when u know the roll is coming, then punish. i like fsmash, dsmash, or grab. if you have trouble with getting those out quick enough, or if your read is a little late, i usually dash attack.

I'll try to upload some video of me playing my roommates. It's basically a tutorial on reading then punishing rolls.

Top Bottom