• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters
Anto: Sadly, I can't make it. I know that Norcal is thinking about getting a van and riding down, though.

I got 9th at a recent tournament, Mango visited the Northwest and it was a grand ol' time. I didn't get to watch him play Samus, sadly, which was one of the reasons I went there. He apparently destroyed ThePrime in dittos, after ThePrime destroyed me in dittos.

I also beat a Marth up here, t-iceman, who I really wanted to beat. The matchup is pretty fun, imo.

Sadly... I didn't get recorded.
Dang...
I juuust heard about that yesterday... cool.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Same with me. After playing PM and seeing my Wario get destroyed. I had this thought in my head that if i had Samus at least i would have been able to make a damn comeback and know how to setup into my kills. We then played Melee lol. This is the outcome when you have your actual main and the physics don't hold u back somewhat. I had put down Melee for sometime and didn't play it much when PM came out since the Bahamas community perferred PM over it. Now we play both again. Here is the match: http://youtu.be/SJdS8LWf3KA
oh man! that third match, so close! maybe could've done one bomb jump to win it? but that's exactly what i would've done, up-b. really nice matches.

AntoPark

Smash Lord
If you want to give up light shielding, you can hold L/R when you plug in your controller and it'll make powershielding 3x easier(made up number).

Also, another way to explain powershielding falco's lasers is to shield when falco's laser is inside your shield radius.

abcool

Smash Ace
oh man! that third match, so close! maybe could've done one bomb jump to win it? but that's exactly what i would've done, up-b. really nice matches.
Ya know after seeing the match i said the samething lmao!!! Hey, it's a mistake people make in the heat of the moment though. I gotta put on my thinking cap for an actual tournament match. Thanks for watching.

Violence

Smash Lord
For additional ease in power shielding, dash toward the laser and put your shield up to cancel your dash. This will make the shield appear angled forward, giving you a higher chance of powershielding.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
For additional ease in power shielding, dash toward the laser and put your shield up to cancel your dash. This will make the shield appear angled forward, giving you a higher chance of powershielding.
Is this because I'm giving me shield more space away from my body? Powershielding requires the projectile to be in your shield to powershield it correct?

Also, some Falco's can double laser by the time you even powershield the first. Should I stay shielded to let the first laser hit him, and the second just hit my shield? I think I noticed DJ doing this in tournament recently.

Violence

Smash Lord
Yeah, powershield the first one, shield the second one if necessary, or you can wavedash back out of shield to shield the second one to position yourself again. Duck does this.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Not at that skill level yet but hope to be soon.

Anyone going to the tournament in Mastic Beach on the 23rd? Hoping to make a formidable opponent this tournament. Still need to eliminate some bad habits though.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Powershield practice: Just power shield everything. Don't put your shield up unless you are trying to stop a move that instant.

I think if you did this, you would become a god at this game.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I also asked this in the FAQ thread, but that trick with unplugging your controller and plugging it in while holding down L or R is it allowed in a tournament setting? Is it really a glitch?

AntoPark

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure it's allowed. I used to do it in my early days, but I learned how to properly power shield and I also decided that light shielding is pretty useful.

They're pretty much like training wheels though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
shield angling occurs post-PS window.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Shielding makes Samus stand straight. Dashing gets closer to the laser and then the shield animation makes you take a small step back (not actually stepping but just slightly behind where your dash is). That makes it so your closer to getting hit and then powershield it as it is in you.

That is why it's easier to PS with Sheik when doing crouch -> PS.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Shielding makes Samus stand straight. Dashing gets closer to the laser and then the shield animation makes you take a small step back (not actually stepping but just slightly behind where your dash is). That makes it so your closer to getting hit and then powershield it as it is in you.

That is why it's easier to PS with Sheik when doing crouch -> PS.
Wouldn't that make it harder to powershield?

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Was bored and went over to the Brawl Boards, Samus specific.

• The Charge Shot does 26% damage instead of 25%.
  • The knock-back of the Charge Shot has been nerfed.
  • The Screw Attack has been buffed, and it acts like the Screw Attack of SSB.
  • Homing Missiles home in much better.
  • The design of the Super Missile.
  • Super Missiles have been nerfed, and lack KO potential.
  • Bombs no longer explode on contact.
  • Bomb Jumping isn't as useful.
  • N-air has less knock-back, and is no longer able to KO.
  • D-tilt has been buffed and is capable of KO'ing.
  • Samus can use her Grapple Beam ("z-air") as an attack.
  • Tether recovery automatically connects to the edge of the stage.
  • The Grapple Extender is no longer possible. It was removed in the PAL version of Melee.
  • Samus falls slower.
[/list]
My heart sunk, couldn't take it anymore and left never to return to the forbidden land again.

AntoPark

Smash Lord
Making tech skill videos with samus is pretty hard.

I only have one routine that doesn't look like complete ***

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Thinking about narrowing down my gameplay to character specific matchups. When I watch Armada play Peach it looks like he already has a plan before each and every match starts. The dude just goes to work. If it's a Falco, he plays Falco Peach, if it's a Marth, he plays Marth Peach. He doesn't try gimmicks that work on one character and not the next.

So far I'd say I only have three distinct styles of play, maybe four. Marth, Fox, Peach and then the "everyone else" category. Marth I like to use tilts a lot against. Fox I prefer being a little more aerial and dsmash a lot. Peach is missile spam city with a lot of baiting and punishing(also need to stay grounded a little more in this MU).

These aren't my gamebreaking strategies for each character, but just to show how each of my MU's with Samus are developing. Hopefully I get to a point where I can say "Oh ok a Marth player, I know how I play Marths, let's go to work." And of course people will say well so and so play so and so differently yata yata. I'll just have to adapt to their style of play QUICKLY and MIDMATCH not post-match. Just another detail of why I think Armada is so good.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Playing the MU is def really important. I'm need to watch some vids of Samus vs. HBox or Mango or other top players who will be at the big house. And also practice those MU, so hopefully i don't get four stocked...correction: so hopefully i don't get JV 5 stocked. lol, but i def am going to practice those MU's. you can't play puff the same way you play the spacies. So, it's practice time.

Geist

Smash Master
Thinking about narrowing down my gameplay to character specific matchups. When I watch Armada play Peach it looks like he already has a plan before each and every match starts. The dude just goes to work. If it's a Falco, he plays Falco Peach, if it's a Marth, he plays Marth Peach. He doesn't try gimmicks that work on one character and not the next.

So far I'd say I only have three distinct styles of play, maybe four. Marth, Fox, Peach and then the "everyone else" category. Marth I like to use tilts a lot against. Fox I prefer being a little more aerial and dsmash a lot. Peach is missile spam city with a lot of baiting and punishing(also need to stay grounded a little more in this MU).

These aren't my gamebreaking strategies for each character, but just to show how each of my MU's with Samus are developing. Hopefully I get to a point where I can say "Oh ok a Marth player, I know how I play Marths, let's go to work." And of course people will say well so and so play so and so differently yata yata. I'll just have to adapt to their style of play QUICKLY and MIDMATCH not post-match. Just another detail of why I think Armada is so good.
I don't think narrowing down your gameplay style is what you're looking for. Remember that a creative and periodically unpredictable playstyle is also a big key to winning, and playing straight to the matchup is intrinsicaly neither of those things.

:phone:

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I don't think narrowing down your gameplay style is what you're looking for. Remember that a creative and periodically unpredictable playstyle is also a big key to winning, and playing straight to the matchup is intrinsicaly neither of those things.

:phone:
I think it's safe to say a Samus player would not play a Peach the same way they play a Falcon. And if I did have a solid step by step play by play playstyle for each character I would most likely get my *** kicked after my opponent figured me out and adapted to that playstyle. I think it'd be best to be creative within limits of the character you are facing.

Geist

Smash Master
As I've heard it said by others before, jank is highly underrated in this game.
Usually when someone speaks 'matchups' they refer to all of the strengths and advantages characters have over others, and play to maximize those advantages. Rarely do people discuss how to take the weakness of your character and develop a playstyle that minimizes or even takes advantage of said weaknesses. The best players of lower tiered characters show this really well, eg Axe's pika.

So basically I'm agreeing with you, I'm just saying that narrowing down your gameplay isn't strictly necessary to get your matchups down solid

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
I think there is a connection between "narrowing" and playing the MU. There are certain things that you shouldn't do/should rarely try against certain characters. In this way, you have to "narrow" your play and not do those things.

When you try to be creative, you will often find things that, while they are creative, they don't work. Not every creative thing works. You can always be creative, but you have to know "my creativity can't involve [insert action that is usually bad in a MU]" idk, that's what i think. maybe "narrowing" isn't the best word...more like "selective creativity"

Playing the basics of a MU is always a great place to start, but being creative is def really important to winning as well.

so yea, i also agree with you guys. i'm just adding my input.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
yea, but it's still good discussion i think. talking about creativity. if you're facing someone who also knows the MU very well, you won't get a lot of openings for the tactics that "MU advice" tells you to do. that's were creativity and adapting are essential.

ok, so the big house has rainbow cruise as a counterpick. what do you guys think about that stage for samus? (however, i'm doubtful about whether ppl will actually go there. i don't think adding a stage or a few stages in certain tournament will result in a lot of play on those stages.) but still, what do you think? samus is slower in the air, but has great aerials so i dont know if its good or bad. i'm thinking bad though.

.tea©

Smash Journeyman
Good game knowledge (not theory crafting on the boards :D) + understand what's going to work and how to counter stuff + good execution/techskill = good player

Most people won´t get this understanding just by sitting in their room. Play your *** off. Try to play everyone you can get, especially the top players.

Interesting question about Rainbow Ride. :D I never really used Samus on Rainbow Ride in tournament. Over here it's banned anyway. I think it's a winable stage for Samus though. The hardest match-ups are probably Fox and Falco. Falco will kill you so early off the top with his shine. :( If you feel comfortable on this stage as Samus you should stay. If you don´t, use your secondary. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gg-cTIYwEU

I remember an awesome match of Duck vs HIV on RR, HIV getting 4stocked. But I can´t find it. :(

Edit: Found it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nsfcmBiyDQ#t=2m56s

Top Bottom