• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Explicit Language

Mith_

Smash Champion
One reason why I don't really cuss around women is because it makes them think you are hiding something you wouldn't want them to know about you by coating your words with caustic language. Its actually a turn off.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Skyler do you curse in front of women? I swear horrendously like the OP said but never in front of women.
I don't get this.

One of my best friends is a girl, and we both swear unapologetically.

Of course, I also just generally don't censor myself because I see absolutely no reason why certain words are frowned upon anyway. Words carry as much weight as we give them. Words only offend you if you let them. Why will the word "****" be censored on this forum, when "crap" will not? They mean the same thing.

The immediate answer is this: Some people just don't like that language. But why? The meaning of the word is fine, because as I just proved, synonyms of the word are generally allowed. So where's the cause for concern?

It's just confusing to me.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
^true, it's definetly a turn off, I always feel uneasy saying such words in front of beautiful woman, even mildly explicit language makes me shiver.

EDIT: @ Nothing Rhymes: yea while I don't feel uneasy around my girl(friends), I do indeed feel like I have no manners when talking to an unknown woman.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I do indeed feel like I have no manners when talking to an unknown woman.[/QUOTE]

THIS is why I don't cuss around women.
I have manners and I use them a lot lol.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I don't get this.

One of my best friends is a girl, and we both swear unapologetically.

Of course, I also just generally don't censor myself because I see absolutely no reason why certain words are frowned upon anyway. Words carry as much weight as we give them. Words only offend you if you let them. Why will the word "****" be censored on this forum, when "crap" will not? They mean the same thing.

The immediate answer is this: Some people just don't like that language. But why? The meaning of the word is fine, because as I just proved, synonyms of the word are generally allowed. So where's the cause for concern?

It's just confusing to me.
If the words you said weren't frowned upon, you wouldn't say them. You "****" instead of crap for the majority of the time, right? Why is that? Because "crap" is seen as middle school-esque and immature. "****" is much more dangerous and fun to say. So if these words weren't frowned upon, I'd bet you wouldn't say them at all.

I don't swear around women because I feel I have a certain sense of duty to be as much of a gentleman to them as I can be. You know Southerners. Anyway, my Mommy dear hates swear words. It's my gentlemanly duty to not curse around her, and this is carried on to all other women I'm around. That's my explanation.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Swearing = low vocabulary to me.

I find swearing an extremely pointless and unnecessary tactic in communication. When someone swears, it just makes them look... ugh... I dunno, but I lose respect for someone almost instantly when they swear.

Give me someone who can talk intelligently.

I admit, sometimes the occasional swear word can be funny if used with class, but every other word or constantly just gets old and makes that person look dumb.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Listen to George Carlin's mastery of English via his usage of swear words. If you lose respect for him or think he is stupid, you do not understand speech.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
LOL then I must not understand speech if I choose to use a broader vocabulary. George Carlin is a potty mouth as it is... some of his stuff is funny, but if you need swear words to be funny, then I think he's doing it wrong.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
^I'm pretty sure dodging the swear filter is against the rules.

Wouldn't electing not to use swear words be limiting your vocabulary rather than broadening it?
There are many words to use besides the ones people always use. Be creative and say something other than all those other 4 letter or whatever words... that's all I have to say.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I laughed out loud at Cashed's response.

That also makes no sense. Why say "Karen is a bad person who is too moody," when you could say "Karen is a *****?" I prefer not to limit myself.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
If the words you said weren't frowned upon, you wouldn't say them. You "****" instead of crap for the majority of the time, right? Why is that? Because "crap" is seen as middle school-esque and immature. "****" is much more dangerous and fun to say. So if these words weren't frowned upon, I'd bet you wouldn't say them at all.
That's just not true though. I mean, you're right in that "****" is seen as more grown up than "crap" when you're, say, 13. But once you're more of an adult, you stop caring about saying "****" just for the sake of sounding more mature. Because you are more mature (hopefully).

So, since I'm not 13, and therefor don't say "****" in order to invoke an "ooh" or an "ah", that can't be the case. I think it's much more a case of colorful language vs. bland language. For reasons unknown to me, the word "nifty" sounds better to me than the word "cool." So I use it, and rarely use "cool" other than to refer to something that is below room temperature. The words mean the same thing (in this context), but I always choose to use the former over the latter because I prefer the color it gives my sentence. And the color is not determined by how socially acceptable the word is — I don't say "nifty" in order to impress my friends with what a big boy I am.

tl;dr: Why is it so unreasonable to think that swear words, like any other synonym, could just be the preferred choice of words by the speaker?

I don't swear around women because I feel I have a certain sense of duty to be as much of a gentleman to them as I can be. You know Southerners. Anyway, my Mommy dear hates swear words. It's my gentlemanly duty to not curse around her, and this is carried on to all other women I'm around. That's my explanation.
But what if you were very close to the woman? "Besties," if you will. Not even then?

I ask because it seems to me that most of you who are saying that you don't swear in front of women are referring to women as if they are outside the realm of potentially being your friends. Like I said, one of my best friends is a girl, and I swear around her (not like a sailor, just as it would naturally come up in conversations). I do this because I'm very close to her, and am therefor comfortable enough around her to not censor myself. But she's still a woman. Is that ungentlemanly? To me, it just sounds prudish.

EDIT: Whoa, that post is huge. I got on a tangent. My bad.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
I honestly don't get what made these words bad in the first place. Who made these words bad? I mean seriously, it doesnt make sense

There are some girls that cuss, but I still think it's a turnoff.

But there are times when "crap" sounds better to say than "s***." It just depends on how you look at it.

I also hate that in school, you can't cuss in class even when it can be used to express yourself with more passion and emphasis

Blackadder

Smash Master
Bill Hicks, anyone?
Bill "PLAY FROM YOUR F*CKIN' HEART!" Hicks? Hell yes.

Cash's response also makes me think. Why do we even have a swear filter on this site? In Posts you see "***", and you only start to think about what swear word is censored there.

**** 13 year olds using the site...

cnesorship iz teh stoopids

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Cash's response also makes me think. Why do we even have a swear filter on this site? In Posts you see "***", and you only start to think about what swear word is censored there.

**** 13 year olds using the site...

cnesorship iz teh stoopids
Because apparently we have children under the age of thirteen on a forum website for a game that is rated T for Teen...TEEN!

Seriously, would it kill to just have some words unfiltered, like whose going to be offended if somebody says da**?

Edit: Revealed the second letter because I don't want people getting confused at which "D" word I'm using, but then again, **** is just an abbreviation for "Richard", so why is that being censored

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
my favorites are : ***** ****, d!ck lips, and cun* muffin.

i also say gay, homo, and queer A LOT lol.

and 'jewish'

lol ok im done. **** ****

slave1

Smash Lord
personally I do not swear at all. there is no need to. it does not add meaning in any normal day conversation. It is funny when used properly. it does not make you seem smarter, or cooler and anything else. I would have no problem if they disappeared off the face of the earth.

and for girls out there, it is a major turn off when you just go off on random swearing rants. or even at all.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I use swearing every here and then, mostly in sites, and a bit in real life...

I use F***, S***, Hell, B*tch, C*ck, Gay, A*s and B*stard the most.

M.K

Level 55
I thought it was always weird because whenever I went to my friend's house, their parents would not curse, but whenever they came to mine, MY parents would! (They always do, it's not such a bad thing).

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I laughed out loud at Cashed's response.

That also makes no sense. Why say "Karen is a bad person who is too moody," when you could say "Karen is a *****?" I prefer not to limit myself.
Agreed.

Also, when it comes to limiting vocabulary: What? Curse words often have a different connotation to them than if you used a less harsh word. Calling someone a ***** instead of a jerk gives a different feel and meaning.

The only time I feel that curse words shouldn't be used is in formal settings, like a business meeting.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I don't like this high and mighty "I'm above using such language because it shows a lack of intelligence and creativity" notion that's been brought up. I think it's completely untrue. If you use explicit language excessively, then yes, it's obnoxious and shows that you don't have much of a vocabulary. But that's true for any type of word that you use excessively. Varying your choice of words in general is a good idea, no matter what you're saying.

I like to think I'm a relatively smart guy, and I don't swear like a sailor, but when I feel that using an expletive is going to best suit what I'm trying to say, I'm going to say it.

Also, this:

The only time I feel that curse words shouldn't be used is in formal settings, like a business meeting.
When dropping an F-bomb means throwing away a job opportunity, losing a client, upsetting your boss, etc. then don't do it. But again, that has nothing to do with the words you're using being inherently bad and everything to do with how the people around you perceive those words. As I said, I see no reason why people should be offended by certain words when they are not offended by their synonyms. But since they do get offended and will make you suffer consequences for it if they can, it's better to play by their rules.

God, I'm so long-winded.

EDIT: P.S. Livvers, just to be clear, I'm agreeing with your statement, not trying to give you advice you obviously don't need.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
Hm, I don't mind explicit language hardly at all, but I d not believe that it should be used in business meetings, or in front of young kids. And in front of kids, it's just the words like bi*ch, B*stard, and D*ck. These words will either deprive him of some friends and the teachers will not like it, and if he's trying to approach a girl, you don't go up and say those kind of words.

Also, you shouldn't use those words in presidential debates either, LOL.
Imagine Obama saying, "McCain, you are a b*astard.";)

Omis

my friends were skinny
@ Masahiro and Shy Guy

Not to be rude to you two but I cant stande it when people say gay. Is what ever your refereing to have sex with other men? I know some poeple have some strong moral haterd towards gays but deeming them like that is unacceptable in my eyes.

CaptHappyFace

Smash Apprentice
I hate when 7th graders swear to be cool and impress their friends. My little sister does this all the time. She'll be on the phone and I'll ask her to do something and she'll say (directly into the phone, I might add) "Shut the **** up" just to impress her friend.
This is the same with me. We had to go to the middle school to show the middle schoolers how high school is...and anyway yes all it is a F*** fest. They do this to impress. And my sister does the same thing. She acts "tough" in front of her friends to show that shes better than me or something.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Gay can also mean happy, and yet people give you funny looks when you say "hi guys, how are you this afternoon?... I'm gay, thanks for asking!" lol.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
@ Masahiro and Shy Guy

Not to be rude to you two but I cant stande it when people say gay. Is what ever your refereing to have sex with other men? I know some poeple have some strong moral haterd towards gays but deeming them like that is unacceptable in my eyes.
I think 90% of the people who say something's gay don't mean it to be hateful toward people who are actually gay. Words slowly change meaning over time. As someone already pointed out, gay used to mean happy. F*ag used to mean a cigarette. Lame used to be people who couldn't walk. Dumb used to be people who couldn't speak. Negro used to be more acceptable to say than black. Words change. Hell, I know gay people who call things gay.

I think it's silly to make a fuss over that word.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
That's just not true though. I mean, you're right in that "****" is seen as more grown up than "crap" when you're, say, 13. But once you're more of an adult, you stop caring about saying "****" just for the sake of sounding more mature. Because you are more mature (hopefully).
I like to think that I am.

So, since I'm not 13, and therefor don't say "****" in order to invoke an "ooh" or an "ah", that can't be the case. I think it's much more a case of colorful language vs. bland language.
That was my point. I honestly don't think "****" would be more a more colorful choice of a word if it weren't considered offensive.

For reasons unknown to me, the word "nifty" sounds better to me than the word "cool." So I use it, and rarely use "cool" other than to refer to something that is below room temperature. The words mean the same thing (in this context), but I always choose to use the former over the latter because I prefer the color it gives my sentence. And the color is not determined by how socially acceptable the word is — I don't say "nifty" in order to impress my friends with what a big boy I am.
Me too. In fact, I just used nifty in the "ninja cat" thread. So we see eye to eye on that matter.

Why is it so unreasonable to think that swear words, like any other synonym, could just be the preferred choice of words by the speaker?
I addressed this above. I never said that you couldn't just prefer the word. And don't get me wrong, I swear lots too. Just not around women.

But what if you were very close to the woman? "Besties," if you will. Not even then?

I ask because it seems to me that most of you who are saying that you don't swear in front of women are referring to women as if they are outside the realm of potentially being your friends. Like I said, one of my best friends is a girl, and I swear around her (not like a sailor, just as it would naturally come up in conversations). I do this because I'm very close to her, and am therefor comfortable enough around her to not censor myself. But she's still a woman. Is that ungentlemanly? To me, it just sounds prudish.
Nonono. I have women who are close friends. But like I said before, I've been conditioned to not curse around women via mommy dearest. Also, it is a huge turnoff for me when women swear. So, the less I swear, the less they do, correct? I don't reproach you for doing so around women. I just have my reasons for not.

EDIT: Whoa, that post is huge. I got on a tangent. My bad.
It's all good. You know I have friends who hate that phrase? I never got that.

I don't like this high and mighty "I'm above using such language because it shows a lack of intelligence and creativity" notion that's been brought up. I think it's completely untrue. If you use explicit language excessively, then yes, it's obnoxious and shows that you don't have much of a vocabulary. But that's true for any type of word that you use excessively. Varying your choice of words in general is a good idea, no matter what you're saying.

I like to think I'm a relatively smart guy, and I don't swear like a sailor, but when I feel that using an expletive is going to best suit what I'm trying to say, I'm going to say it.
I agree completely. Like I said, I do use foul language when needed.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
That was my point. I honestly don't think "****" would be more a more colorful choice of a word if it weren't considered offensive.
This could be the case. Actually for some people (maybe the pre-teens that were mentioned a few posts ago), I'm almost certain it's true.

But, since other words, like "nifty," can gain some kind of color without being offensive, then I think the same can be said for swear words. But we seem to basically be on the same wavelength with this.

Nonono. I have women who are close friends. But like I said before, I've been conditioned to not curse around women via mommy dearest. Also, it is a huge turnoff for me when women swear. So, the less I swear, the less they do, correct? I don't reproach you for doing so around women. I just have my reasons for not.
Fair enough. I just wasn't sure if this was a "not around any girls at all" thing or a "not around any elders or potential mates" thing.

I agree completely. Like I said, I do use foul language when needed.
Then we appear to be in agreement on pretty much everything that actually matters. Just dandy.

slave1

Smash Lord
i think gay people get too offended when some one says "that was gay." it is amazing how much they care about their feeling but care so little about others. and this is coming from personal experience.

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
I curse around my friends but not so much.

I honestly disliked using that kind of language because IMO I would imagine that you are limiting yourself

language wise. For example the F-word being the most common can practically replace a lot of the words

in the English language. I would rather expand and be updated with new words to use and such. When It

comes to tongue lashings I prefer intelligent ones that straight up uncreative insults it's just my personal

preferences though. I know they are just words but I don't like limiting myself to just those words to

express thoughts and etc. but I do curse when I injure myself though or around friends but very little.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
i think gay people get too offended when some one says "that was gay." it is amazing how much they care about their feeling but care so little about others. and this is coming from personal experience.
Yeahhhh....

I agree that gay people (and everyone else, really) should be less sensitive about things like that, but you might want to be careful with what you say. You're making a rather insulting generalization right now. But I'll assume you didn't mean that the way it reads.

I think we just had the most peaceful SWF debate/argument ever.
Make love, not war, my friend.

Amide

Smash Lord
People saying gay just really grinds my gears for some reason.
It annoys me a ton too.

Hmm... Swearing. If it's used to make fun of a particular group of people, I'm against it. But why is da** worse than dang? They weren't supposed to be 'bad' words.

slave1

Smash Lord
It annoys me a ton too.

Hmm... Swearing. If it's used to make fun of a particular group of people, I'm against it. But why is da** worse than dang? They weren't supposed to be 'bad' words.
yes they were. they were, are, derogatory at most times if not all. Crimson probably disagrees because he is going into an English major. think of one that is not derogatory in some way. especially referring to people.

Da** is used in all ways for bad. to halt, to curse, you name it it is not good.

Dang is a Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian and German surname.

Surename (for those out there)the name used to identify the members of a family (as distinguished from each member's given name)

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
I don't really have a problem with swearing, and I'm sure in a couple generations no one will.

I hate when 7th graders swear to be cool and impress their friends. My little sister does this all the time. She'll be on the phone and I'll ask her to do something and she'll say (directly into the phone, I might add) "Shut the **** up" just to impress her friend.
It's funny how when a person younger than you swears, we associate it with showing off.
When we see a person of the same age of older swear though, we just see it as a part of who they are...

Symphony X

Smash Lord
It's funny how when a person younger than you swears, we associate it with showing off.
When we see a person of the same age of older swear though, we just see it as a part of who they are...
As a 7th grader, she really shouldn't be swearing like that. When I was in 7th grade, I saw people who cursed so unnecessarily as showing off as well.

It's like one time at my high school. I was watching our school play, which was Aladdin, during school, when the elementary kids came in to watch it. I saw one, and asked him, "You excited to see Aladdin?" To which he replied, "Shut the f-ck up." I for one was a little surprised.

Top Bottom