• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Explicit Language

Amide

Smash Lord
yes they were. they were, are, derogatory at most times if not all. Crimson probably disagrees because he is going into an English major. think of one that is not derogatory in some way. especially referring to people.

Da** is used in all ways for bad. to halt, to curse, you name it it is not good.

Dang is a Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian and German surname.

Surename (for those out there)the name used to identify the members of a family (as distinguished from each member's given name)
They weren't meant to be bad words. Different nationalities had different versions of words, they became bad, but that was not any intention.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
I don't see why people view the words as offensive. As if hearing them is going to do something to you.
Some people "censor" them by saying 'crap' or 'dang' instead of '****' or '****,' which is just as stupid. We know what you're implying - just say it. Same thing with censoring words online. How is 'd***' any less offensive than typing the word normally?

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I don't see why people view the words as offensive. As if hearing them is going to do something to you.
Some people "censor" them by saying 'crap' or 'dang' instead of '****' or '****,' which is just as stupid. We know what you're implying - just say it. Same thing with censoring words online. How is 'd***' any less offensive than typing the word normally?
Because four asterisks are the exact same as dang. It is less offensive.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
People saying gay just really grinds my gears for some reason.
Around these parts it's the 'expletive' of choice for homophobic middle-schoolers and has evolved into an interjection in itself. No need for a noun to modify, just wail "GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY" at society and instantly announce yourself as a blithering idiot.

I love the young ones.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
The only time I really swear is when I'm losing at video games (only in private too)
I don't count da** or hell as swear words though, I say those all time

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Around these parts it's the 'expletive' of choice for homophobic middle-schoolers and has evolved into an interjection in itself. No need for a noun to modify, just wail "GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY" at society and instantly announce yourself as a blithering idiot.

I love the young ones.
Noticing your location, are you from Tuscaloosa?

keeper

Smash Champion
No language offends me. People being offended by it just gives it power.

My take, stop caring and judging people for how they speak and the words won't do anything. They'll either continue to use it, and hey you won't care, or they'll not, which it still doesn't matter then.

I use it plenty.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Ignoring something doesn't make it go away. If someone's flagrant cursing offends me, I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I'm not perturbed. I'm not going to automatically pass judgment that you're somehow a bad person either; I have close friends who swear like sailors, but that doesn't mean it doesn't offend me.

keeper

Smash Champion
Ignoring something doesn't make it go away. If someone's flagrant cursing offends me, I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I'm not perturbed. I'm not going to automatically pass judgment that you're somehow a bad person either; I have close friends who swear like sailors, but that doesn't mean it doesn't offend me.
The fact you care is pretty lame.

The Executive

Smash Lord
The fact you care is pretty lame.
So you're offended that I'm offended. That's nice and all, but I'm not going to magically 'stop caring' about public decency. If I'm walking by a group of kids and there's some guy on a cell phone spewing profanity, why shouldn't I ask him to be considerate?

Whether you care or not, swear words have understood profane connotations regardless of what manner you use them in.

I live in Hoover. About 45 minutes away if I recall correctly. My brother used to live there. I go there sometimes when I feel like it. Are you near all the UofA kids?
Oh boy, Hoover! *insert obligatory TCHS graduate rant* OK, now that that's over, I live up 69 roughly 20min from UA campus, but I'm over there more often than not. I'm not too high on this place; UA is like a safe zone isolated for the rest of the town.

keeper

Smash Champion
So you're offended that I'm offended. That's nice and all, but I'm not going to magically 'stop caring' about public decency. If I'm walking by a group of kids and there's some guy on a cell phone spewing profanity, why shouldn't I ask him to be considerate?

Whether you care or not, swear words have understood profane connotations regardless of what manner you use them in.
I mean if you care about how your friends speak around you and people of the same age. I complete understand decency, but I don't think you should even care or be the least bit offended if your friends and people your age say them near you.

The Executive

Smash Lord
I mean if you care about how your friends speak around you and people of the same age. I complete understand decency, but I don't think you should even care or be the least bit offended if your friends and people your age say them near you.
I used to care, but I've become jaded. Public school does that. Thankfully, a few of my friends are respectful enough to keep the f-bombs to a minimum, though I think that's just human tendency to act like the people you're around.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Oh boy, Hoover! *insert obligatory TCHS graduate rant* OK, now that that's over, I live up 69 roughly 20min from UA campus, but I'm over there more often than not. I'm not too high on this place; UA is like a safe zone isolated for the rest of the town.
Heh. Yeah. Tuscaloosa can be like that. Why not go near Auburn? Is where I'm headed.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Auburn scares me. Their prized Jordan-Hare Stadium is built adjacent to a rundown trailer park and their winning tradition involves TPing some tree on a street corner. They base the success of their football season not on W-L, but whether they "beat 'Bama". They're 4-3 at the middle of the season, and the only team to have dropped from the AP poll this week. *snicker*

/rant

Seriously though, that town is a dump.

Roihu

Smash Ace
I only get annoyed when it's excessive or when it's used by 5 year old kids. The latter annoys me much more, though.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Auburn scares me. Their prized Jordan-Hare Stadium is built adjacent to a rundown trailer park and their winning tradition involves TPing some tree on a street corner. They base the success of their football season not on W-L, but whether they "beat 'Bama". They're 4-3 at the middle of the season, and the only team to have dropped from the AP poll this week. *snicker*

/rant

Seriously though, that town is a dump.
Your snickering has no effect on me, I'm an Alabama fan. The only reason I'm not going to Alabama is because I would actually like to do something in college other than get drunk. But the Iron Bowl is pretty much Auburn's only hope left in the season. And I have no doubt ole Tommy very well could outsmart Saban this year.

But back on topic.
Umm.

Language is baaad. -Shakes finger-

Smash Cadet
Yeah, so I don't really swear, only when I'm playing golf or video games. Those are just infuriating. I'd like it a bit more if people didn't swear constantly, but I'm used to it. So yeah.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Your snickering has no effect on me, I'm an Alabama fan. The only reason I'm not going to Alabama is because I would actually like to do something in college other than get drunk. But the Iron Bowl is pretty much Auburn's only hope left in the season. And I have no doubt ole Tommy very well could outsmart Saban this year.

But back on topic.
Umm.

Language is baaad. -Shakes finger-
Sorry, it was a reflex. I was staunchly against Alabama football because it infects the entire town while it's on and regular travel becomes impossible 3-4 days straight during home games (do not attempt to leave your house during the Iron Bowl or Tennessee), but it eventually sucked me in. Quickly, at that.

And UA, despite its party reputation, does have an enclave of intelligent people. And Smashers. Just not that many of the latter.

Iron Bowl? HOPE? Seriously? Auburn is floundering. They barely held off Miss. State in the only 3-2 ballgame anyone I know has ever seen. The fact Tommy Tuberville is still their head coach is purely due to the fact that they prioritize the Iron Bowl over BCS standings, SEC championships, and their overall success in general. It's pathetic.

People who circumvent the word filter irk me.

marthanoob

Smash Journeyman
Explicit language is irrelevant. The meaning they are attempting to convey is where the focus should be.
Stereotypically, there is not much meaning in it, but other pieces of information can be salvaged from its use.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I only hate it when people that sound terrible cursing try to curse. It just sounds so wrong, imagine a nerd trying to talk like a gangster, it's like that.

I only curse around friends or classmates but I don't do it around authority [which includes elders] and I keep it to a minimum because too much of anything is a bad thing. I don't monitor it because it's taboo, I monitor it because I don't sound that good when I curse excessively, it just doesn't suit me [I have a little nerd in me].

Donut!

Smash Apprentice
I swear all the time, it just flows out of me sometimes. Lately I've been trying to replace swears with like old fashioned or weird replacement words I've heard people use. I don't really care about the amount I swear, I just personally find it humorous. I might just end up offending less people too, so it's a win win situation.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I hate profanity, it's disgusting. Every time I hear it (quite a bit by now), it feels like getting stabbed. I don't cuss. Like Donut!, I try to use old-fashioned / unique (and appropriate) phrases.

In my opinion, anyone can swear. But a man can show true strength by maintaining controll over himself.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
New everything? O_o Profanity's been around for ages. I just use the "old fashioned" phrases because you don't really hear them anymore. I find it a bit humerous sometimes.

But nah, I don't mind the new slang you hear on the street. Sometimes I'll even try (but fails to) use it myself, as long as it's "appropriate". I have two friends that swear, but I asked that whenever we hang out to not say such things. They are very kind and because they know I don't like explicit language, they don't use it. This allowed me to easily decipher them as my closest friends because they respected my thoughts. We still have a blast. I just personally see harsh language as rude, obscene behavior. I compare it to... obsessive drinking, or reckless behavior, and the like. People are raised differently to see different things suitable, and this is how I was raised. Religion is another reason, but that is a topic that doesn't need to be discussed.

marthanoob

Smash Journeyman
I hate profanity, it's disgusting. Every time I hear it (quite a bit by now), it feels like getting stabbed. I don't cuss. Like Donut!, I try to use old-fashioned / unique (and appropriate) phrases.

In my opinion, anyone can swear. But a man can show true strength by maintaining control over himself.
So you are disgusted, hurt, bored, and disappointed of profanity all at the same time. I don't know how you do it.
If I were you, I would have a severe case of cognitive dissonance by now.

Wouldn't it be desirable towards the goal of keeping control over yourself if you were not hurt/bored/disappointed/disgusted by your own opinions towards a behavior commonly used as a joke?

Mittenkiss

Smash Cadet
I hardly ever curse. When I do, it's because I'm picking it up from my brother and his friends. Also hanging around my friends too who somewhat curse. It kind of intimidates me when other people I don't know use it.

I try and hold back my swearing if it were to come up of my mouth around adults even if they do curse. To me, I think that just seems weird.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Wouldn't it be desirable towards the goal of keeping control over yourself if you were not hurt/bored/disappointed/disgusted by your own opinions towards a behavior commonly used as a joke?
I think my "perspective" would be a better choice of a word than "opinion", whether that change be little or not. Because the behavior is common / joke, that makes it alright? Does the same apply to murder? Vandalism? Stealing? I'm guessing that some people might be thinking in the lines of: "Man calm down, a little swearing isn't nearly as bad as those three." Well, that's where our perspectives differ. Someone may see language as less-destructive, but I see sin as sin whatever form it may come in.

The 5th Horseman

Smash Ace
I curse at my house, at school and with friends, but while I'm working I try to hold myself from doing it. To me they are just words and everyone basically knows them. (How could you not with todays T.V lmao) Anyway, I think there is no harm in using them unless it is at the wrong place and the wrong time.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I don't like being told not to curse, it's free speech and if I had cared enough about how sensitive you were towards such words I would have restrained myself in the first place. So what I'm saying is, if I curse in front of you I probably care less about you then my dogs poop.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
"Profanity" are in reality just words. I use them when appropriate, just like I use any other word (it, the, from, they, purple). They don't cause harm unless used in a hateful manner, and even then any other word can cause harm when used in a hateful manner, so there's no reason to be all offended when someone says "Dammit!" or something in expression of frustration. Seriously, man up. It's like being offended if someone walks outside. >_> I'm just talking, leave me alone and realize that I'm just choosing to include some words in my vocabulary.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I think my "perspective" would be a better choice of a word than "opinion", whether that change be little or not. Because the behavior is common / joke, that makes it alright? Does the same apply to murder? Vandalism? Stealing? I'm guessing that some people might be thinking in the lines of: "Man calm down, a little swearing isn't nearly as bad as those three." Well, that's where our perspectives differ. Someone may see language as less-destructive, but I see sin as sin whatever form it may come in.
But from a rational standpoint, there are very obvious reasons why things like murder, stealing, and vandalism are bad—they hurt other people. You take offense to someone stealing from you because you worked/paid for the item they stole. You take offense to vandalism because someone is destroying something that you worked/paid for. You take offense to murder because...well, c'mon. I think you know what I'm saying.

Now if I tell you to eat **** and die, I do expect you to be offended. Because my overall message that I'm sending to you is very negative and insulting.

But if I say "I ****ing love corn," do you still take offense? If so, why? I know the obvious answer is "It's a sin/It's improper" but I'm asking you to look deeper. For other things that are "sinful" or "indecent" there are very clear reasons for WHY they are that way. Ask yourself: Why is it that swear words should be found offensive? What are they actually doing to offend me? What has been robbed from me? What about me has been lessened because of the uttering of the word? How has this harmed me?

If you can find an answer to that, please enlighten me. Because this whole idea of indecent language confuses me, even if I do abide by other people's perception of decency for their sake.

EDIT: Marthanoob said it so much better than me. ****.

marthanoob

Smash Journeyman
Let's start from the beginning.

Killing is an action. Stealing is an action. Swearing is an action.
Consequences follow any action.
The consequence of killing is generally bad in any circumstance unless in self-defense.
The consequence of stealing is bad unless you are stealing something back, which technically may not be stealing, but reclaiming.
The consequence of swearing is...what? Hurting someone's feelings?

Now let's examine possible causes for such developments to have taken place.
Killing is bad because the killer has broken a basic human right to life.
Stealing is bad because the theif has broken a basic human right to property.
Swearing is bad because...other people say so. Why do they say so? Idk. They are smarter than me, they make up the majority, they told me it's bad, and that is all I have ever known, therefore I will now actively believe that it is bad.

Take, for example, the word that starts with b and ends with ch.
The word used to mean "a female dog".
Then people started calling me a female dog. Why should I care if they think I'm a female dog?
Obviously, I'm not. I have 46 chromosomes and a brain capable of reason and abstraction.
This person is erroneously connecting me to a female dog.
This person would do this for no other reason than to express some sort of dislike for me, taunt me, or to evoke some sort of amusing reaction from me.
The swearing per se is completely irrelevant to the goal. It is a means to the goal.
The goals of such actions are the root cause of said problem, and those goals are the sins you are talking about.
This goal is different from the other examples in that it can be approached many other ways, that do not include any swearing at all and have the same exact consequences.
Angrily shouting gibberish at a person shows dislike towards that person. Is that a sin as bad as swearing? Is there any difference between swearing and gibberish?

Think about it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The word that starts with b and ends with ch can also be used in the following ways:

"*something* is a *****"
Meaning that *something* is annoying and/or difficult.
A similar circumstance can happen with all other "swear" words. They're words, they have hateful and non-hateful uses. Hateful uses are always bad, swearing or not. Should non-hateful swearing be bad? From my perspective, no, absolutely not.

Omis

my friends were skinny
Let's start from the beginning.

Killing is an action. Stealing is an action. Swearing is an action.
Consequences follow any action.
The consequence of killing is generally bad in any circumstance unless in self-defense.
The consequence of stealing is bad unless you are stealing something back, which technically may not be stealing, but reclaiming.
The consequence of swearing is...what? Hurting someone's feelings?

Now let's examine possible causes for such developments to have taken place.
Killing is bad because the killer has broken a basic human right to life.
Stealing is bad because the theif has broken a basic human right to property.
Swearing is bad because...other people say so. Why do they say so? Idk. They are smarter than me, they make up the majority, they told me it's bad, and that is all I have ever known, therefore I will now actively believe that it is bad.

Take, for example, the word that starts with b and ends with ch.
The word used to mean "a female dog".
Then people started calling me a female dog. Why should I care if they think I'm a female dog?
Obviously, I'm not. I have 46 chromosomes and a brain capable of reason and abstraction.
This person is erroneously connecting me to a female dog.
This person would do this for no other reason than to express some sort of dislike for me, taunt me, or to evoke some sort of amusing reaction from me.
The swearing per se is completely irrelevant to the goal. It is a means to the goal.
The goals of such actions are the root cause of said problem, and those goals are the sins you are talking about.
This goal is different from the other examples in that it can be approached many other ways, that do not include any swearing at all and have the same exact consequences.
Angrily shouting gibberish at a person shows dislike towards that person. Is that a sin as bad as swearing? Is there any difference between swearing and gibberish?

Think about it.
Extremely well written.

Top Bottom