• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Explicit Language

Omis

my friends were skinny
I was just wondering what every one in the PR room think about explicit language.

Personally I have never seen what is so bad about it. To me I have never seen it as any sort of taboo because everyone in my family uses explicit language so loosely that it seemed natural to me. However I am trying to cut back on some of the words I use because the girl I'm going after cant stand it.

So what are you views on explicit language? How much if ever do you use it? Is it really that bad?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
hmm.. explict language? well...

I tend to use it mildly around my house, but when it comes to house guests, especially in public, I rarely will curse.

as for me finding it offensive, I really don't mind as long as it isn't referring to me or gets out of hand.

Peeze

Smash Master
Rarely to never curse. Never see the need to.
It doesnt really bother me when other people do it. I hate when half of a comedians routine is profanity though.

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Rarely to never curse. Never see the need to.
It doesnt really bother me when other people do it. I hate when half of a comedians routine is profanity though.
Don't ever watch a Bob Saget special.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I swear pretty constantly. I don't know why, I'm not a particularly angry person and didn't have an unhappy childhood or whatever. Probably from all them satanic R-rated movies I grew up on, a hyuk hyuk.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
i do it sometimes, i don't even care
my view is that words are all made up anyway, theres no point in putting special emphasis on bad words.
i mean, sometimes i swear in a good way, and people still think thats bad.
probably the stupidest thing that i've ever seen was when this girl in my class said "shut up!" (like in the "omg really" way) and my teacher was like "don't say shut up"

Blackadder

Smash Master
Ehh.

In the world I live in, I hear the f-word every other minute. And the C word, though much less.

I've really just grown used to it, y'know? I swear pretty freely, everyone I know does too. Really, they're just words and not much else. Here, I bet I can play whatever song is on Media Player right now and hear a swear soon enough. Let's see:

... Yep.
That was the best timing ever. The first LINE was "Mother****ers, say that I'm foolish.."
Thank you Jay-Z.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I hate when 7th graders swear to be cool and impress their friends. My little sister does this all the time. She'll be on the phone and I'll ask her to do something and she'll say (directly into the phone, I might add) "Shut the **** up" just to impress her friend.

Duo55

Smash Ace
As mentioned earlier, they are just words. Nothing more, but the difference is, they were deemed distasteful by the higher society back when chivalry, and pride were still alive and well. Really in todays society, theres no reason to look down on these word because things such as insulting others, and volgar humor are more accepted than they were one hundred years ago. If we look at the history, or just the plain meaning of some of the words, you'll see that most of them are hardly offensive by todays standards. Like using the word "****" in any context. When you say **** this, or dammit, what your refuring to is that you wish to **** said object to hell. Now 150 years ago, when religion was much previlant, of course saying something like that would be frowned apon, as every one believed that there was a hell, and that its a terrible place, and wishing someone to go there makes you a evil person. The next word "sh**" was actually a military term for... what do you know, human waste. Why it became deemed unacceptable is probably due to the fact that talking about human waste is almost never acceptable in general conversasion. Same thing with the word "fu**" first off its slang, which is frowned upon for its lack of class, and secondly sex used to be though of as a sacred act in times past, but today everyone (well the majority, I'm not going to speak for everyone) are quite open about it. This is my point, special emphasis on bad words is really a social brain washing by todays society (or rather a society past). I think the main problem people have with it though is the fact that people use the words out of context, and that makes it slang, which as I explained earlier, was considered dirrived of class, and was looked down upon by the people of that day. I think people just need to break away from the brain washing, and social structures that were set by a dead people, whose values are nigh applicable in todays society. All my opinion, and view on the subject. Take it as you wish.

Omis

my friends were skinny
I use d***, f*** ,and s*** so freeely that they dont mean anything to me and inderectly anything to the people around me. I do find h*** b****, and c*** really offensive for some reason.

Karptroopa

Smash Apprentice
I swear often whilst at home, in my room. Mainly when I'm playing All-Star, where I often get KO'd whenever I turn my back. D:

And I'm trying to not use continues whilst obtaining trophies, so that contributes to my anger.

Otherwise, I rarely swear, even when I'm just with family.

Cyndi

Smash Apprentice
Depends on who I'm with and where I am. I can swear like a sailor or talk like a saint.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I can't use that language at home so I use it when my parents aren't around. I use it when I'm mostly angry, making a joke or pissed but I don't use it freely.

I don't know how many curses I use but I mostly say the basic ones (f***, a**, etc.) but some I never say because I find them too offensive.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I don't really mind cussing as long as it doesn't get out of hand were it becomes a soap ophra (sp?)

Mith_

Smash Champion
I never use profanity around women. Its just a habit, I guess. I dunno how it formed.

Around males, I only say damm and hell. Prolly about once a month will I use the b, f ,and s words. I'm notan avid explicit language user.

Smash Master
Cursing vents anger for me because I know some people are offended by it. If the words stopped being taboo I probably wouldn't use them anymore.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
I used to never swear, but I have way too many mishaps per day for that to occur. D.amn is quite possibly the most useful modifier/expression on the planet. That's about the only one, aside from the occasional "sh*t" whenever I faceplant or do something else epically stupid in public. I really need to stop that; all those years of public school took their toll on me.

Maybe I'll pull a page out of Danny's book and adopt "BOB SAGET!!!" as my interjection of choice.

JCMR-Brawler64

Smash Apprentice
This words are vicious. Be careful if you say this words in a eductional place.
Some peoples including "teachers with experience" says offensive words. :ohwell:

.Marik

is a social misfit
I swear, I see nothing wrong with it. I mean, they are just words, nothing more.

So when I curse, big deal. If you don't like it, GTFO. :ohwell:

And society has degenerated so much so, that it doesn't even matter anymore.

And half the people who swear don't even know what it means, or where it derived from.

Typical. >_>

mzink*

Smash Ace
Cursing is pretty much just part of my language, I rarely ever use it to be offensive. Though I try to control it a lot more in public because I never know when lil kiddies are around listenin.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I never use profanity around women. Its just a habit, I guess. I dunno how it formed.
This is me.

Although I can curse pretty bad around my friends, I never use it at home or around people I don't know. Most of the time actually it's to myself when I do something stupid. Particularly, "Fuck me."

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
CK is just showed us a prime example. it does not have to be explicit to be offensive.

I find 'tool' to be far more offensive than '*****'.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
And your a fat hamster.
See i can throw out baseless claims about people too.
See? You can get a reaction without swearing. People usually get offended more, especially people who swear a lot.

I actually got a Saturday detention today for swearing, and a teacher heard it. The last period of the day was Digital Video Production, and all the extras I had reserved for filming showed up late over half-into the period and kept "joking" around.
"Alright, just sit there and ask 'Can I go to the bathroom'"
"Can I masturbate instead?" - Here he started stroking the air on front of the *****.
"No, just ask to go."
We begin filming, and he puts his hand down his pants and starts moving his hand and moaning, then asks "Teacher, I can't keep it in my pants anymore, I need to go to the bathroom to shoot off."
When we set up students at the computer at the website we needed to be on, in the pan, they would change to addicting games or something. One time one guy actually bought up Meat Spin and turned the monitor to the Camera. They'd bring out Soda's, thus ruining the continuity of the film and breaking the illusion of it being a strict schoolroom, etc.
Then, my fellow project members join in.
This happened the ENTIRE TIME.
Overall, with 25-something minutes of shooting, we got over five minutes of footage, and only 20 seconds were serious enough to actually use. I know film takes time, but that is ****ing ridiculous. Everybody else in the class was basically done with only re-shoots tomorrow. We need to finish shooting a two minute trailer by tomorrow. At this rate, it'll be a miracle if we get even another minute.
So, we stay after school because the lead actor brings up at the end of class (literally, just after the bell) that he's getting his tonsils removed and will be out of school for a few weeks, starting tomorrow. We called in a bunch of new extras, and took an hour re-filming everything.
At the end, I walked out and pointed at them and said "Do you have any idea how ****ing big of *******s you guys were being?" Then a teacher walked out of class and was all "HEY! What did you say to them?" He called me over and said what I could possibly use to justify, and I told him all of this. He looked kinda sympathetic, then walked over and asked them. He walked back saying they did nothing they knew to offend me (if it wasn't locked, I would go into the film room and get the "out-takes" and show him), and if they did something accidentally they were sorry. So, it's Saturday detention for me, jack **** happens to them.

In short, I feel my swearing was justified.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I would have shown the teacher the next day/chance you got.

And as a guy wanting to be a teacher and working in childcare and so on, I rarely use swearwords. Shoot and fudge are my friends.

D

Deleted member

I can't use that language at home so I use it when my parents aren't around. I use it when I'm mostly angry, making a joke or pissed but I don't use it freely
This, exactly.

Mith_

Smash Champion
See? You can get a reaction without swearing. People usually get offended more, especially people who swear a lot.

I actually got a Saturday detention today for swearing, and a teacher heard it. The last period of the day was Digital Video Production, and all the extras I had reserved for filming showed up late over half-into the period and kept "joking" around.
"Alright, just sit there and ask 'Can I go to the bathroom'"
"Can I masturbate instead?" - Here he started stroking the air on front of the *****.
"No, just ask to go."
We begin filming, and he puts his hand down his pants and starts moving his hand and moaning, then asks "Teacher, I can't keep it in my pants anymore, I need to go to the bathroom to shoot off."
When we set up students at the computer at the website we needed to be on, in the pan, they would change to addicting games or something. One time one guy actually bought up Meat Spin and turned the monitor to the Camera. They'd bring out Soda's, thus ruining the continuity of the film and breaking the illusion of it being a strict schoolroom, etc.
Then, my fellow project members join in.
This happened the ENTIRE TIME.
Overall, with 25-something minutes of shooting, we got over five minutes of footage, and only 20 seconds were serious enough to actually use. I know film takes time, but that is ****ing ridiculous. Everybody else in the class was basically done with only re-shoots tomorrow. We need to finish shooting a two minute trailer by tomorrow. At this rate, it'll be a miracle if we get even another minute.
So, we stay after school because the lead actor brings up at the end of class (literally, just after the bell) that he's getting his tonsils removed and will be out of school for a few weeks, starting tomorrow. We called in a bunch of new extras, and took an hour re-filming everything.
At the end, I walked out and pointed at them and said "Do you have any idea how ****ing big of *******s you guys were being?" Then a teacher walked out of class and was all "HEY! What did you say to them?" He called me over and said what I could possibly use to justify, and I told him all of this. He looked kinda sympathetic, then walked over and asked them. He walked back saying they did nothing they knew to offend me (if it wasn't locked, I would go into the film room and get the "out-takes" and show him), and if they did something accidentally they were sorry. So, it's Saturday detention for me, jack **** happens to them.

In short, I feel my swearing was justified.
I kinda feel you man. I feel like curse words are prohibited from my vocabulary until something very out of hand happens, like the scenario you described. Then they become optional still not necessary though.

But I do see why you cussed, that was seriously effed up.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I swear like a sailor.

I don't get whats so bad about words. I don't say them around people who I know find them offensive, but I always get a kick out of somebody random walking up to me and starts chewing me out for cursing because it offends them.

Top Bottom