• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2kXV Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
FOW VS aMSA HYPEEEEEE!!!!!!! Rooting for aMSa.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Will be interesting to see after this Abadango match if people actually dislike Rosalina or if hating on Rosalina/Dabuz is just a meme at this point. Imo Dabuz's Rosa is so much more interesting to watch that Abadango's. Both are very defensive but Abanadgo isn't using Luma jab spacing very much
people disliked the dude for playing olimar in brawl so the hate is just transferring to smash 4 smh.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
As someone who's used it in tournament (and I rate it, probably worth taking in most matchups) it's definitely not without it's downsides. It's very punishable on miss and your recovery goes from kinda bad to "if you're offstage without a DJ you should be dead". The fact that it creates a true 50/50 between uair (beats jump) and up-b (beats airdodge) at kill percent is a little bit silly, but Sheik among other characters can do the exact same thing. Kill confirms out of banana are nice but nothing new.
Ah, good to know. Going to admit that was a hasty overreacting on my part.

Gonna experiment with custom Diddy now.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
FOW vs aMSa my heart can't take this.

edit: godammit I hate Ness. No effort required.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
...PK Flash -> Uair for the KO?

I don't think I could come back from that one lol.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
PK FLASK INTO UP AIR!? That is just... My god.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Good stuff to Fow. His placement in Apex was tragic. Glad he is doing better. #onettboys also 6wx is out
:(

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Regarding custom Villager:

He's, regrettably, one of the few characters that can really get away with a ledge-centric playstyle in this game. But I maintain my position that focusing on that way of fighting will limit you. @Antonykun and I have preached that Villager is best played as an aggressive trap/zoner, and honestly his customs lend themselves better to that than they do to a ledge game. Ranai's emergence in Japan as a dominant (default) Villager is great and reinforcing to my viewpoint, and I was sad that he chose not to come to Evo. More saddening, though, is that the Villagers who are making waves are (from what I can gather since I haven't been able to watch the stream) campy players, which is a horrible representation of Villager and portrays him in a bad light. Well, worse light; a lot of players hate fighting against him anyway.

Out of curiosity, is Timber Counter or Extreme Balloon Trip more gripe-worthy for the spectators? I'd bet my hat it's EBT. I think @Indigo Jeans said the manual detonation for the balloons is frame 1. That's nuts. I think Lloid spawning for all three variants is also frame 1 (but doesn't pose an immediate threat).

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I mean, aMSa was really struggling, doubt he knew the MU very well if at all. And as with most of his MUs, Greninja has to work a considerable amount harder than his opponent. Who knows.
aMSa is playing too safe, he dropped a lot of opportunities to punish, not only in this set but in the others too.

I dunno if he's just under pressure or if he's just messing up.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
aMSa is playing too safe, he dropped a lot of opportunities to punish, not only in this set but in the others too.

I dunno if he's just under pressure or if he's just messing up.
Could also be the fact that he played Melee and Smash 4 on and off today, I imagine that must be tough. Especially considering how technical the characters he plays are.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Two Robins in the Top 48 with the remaining 46 being commonly accepted high tier characters, commonly accepted high-mid tier characters, a Duck Hunt, and a Miss Fit.

Not an unimpressive showing for the tactician at all, all things considering.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I can't respect Dapuffster for that. That was a Toon Link player and GIRL and yet another loser to linear minded, custom jank.
I apologize for not losing. Didn't know I was supposed to lose on purpose. Regardless I was playing really shaky and nervous since it was my first tournament match at EVO. But later on I cooled myself down and I made it out on top 32 on winners side. The toon link player didn't make it out of pools. So, yeah. Sorry I won.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Reflector, Charge Blaster, Twisting Fox should all serve him well in that MU

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
Regarding custom Villager:

He's, regrettably, one of the few characters that can really get away with a ledge-centric playstyle in this game. But I maintain my position that focusing on that way of fighting will limit you. @Antonykun and I have preached that Villager is best played as an aggressive trap/zoner, and honestly his customs lend themselves better to that than they do to a ledge game. Ranai's emergence in Japan as a dominant (default) Villager is great and reinforcing to my viewpoint, and I was sad that he chose not to come to Evo. More saddening, though, is that the Villagers who are making waves are (from what I can gather since I haven't been able to watch the stream) campy players, which is a horrible representation of Villager and portrays him in a bad light. Well, worse light; a lot of players hate fighting against him anyway.

Out of curiosity, is Timber Counter or Extreme Balloon Trip more gripe-worthy for the spectators? I'd bet my hat it's EBT. I think @Indigo Jeans said the manual detonation for the balloons is frame 1. That's nuts. I think Lloid spawning for all three variants is also frame 1 (but doesn't pose an immediate threat).
I know I'm going off theory craft but the fact that custom villagers are not even using the best strategy and are still getting far in bracket is alarming.

See these villagers are not even trying. Now imagine if they DID try. This is why I think along with heavy skull bash some of villagers customs should banned too. Not because of ledge stall, but because his frame traps are ungodly and most likely impossible to get around.

I 100% believe custom villager is broken. If Zero gets that wiiu u he's asking for it's game over. Everyone might as well be fighting for second (as per usual lol).

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
So Larry is verse CaptAwesum in Semi-Finals. What is Larry tag in Smashboard? He better learn the matchup.
Someone please send him this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BZss1QUIwQ
Never before have I rooted for a Fox so hard. That was disgusting.

Personally with how much he was throwing out those Lloids I would have ran through the startup and dash attacked the Villager, assuming Timber Counter wasn't active. Lloid is very punishable on startup for characters with fast ground speed.

Djent

Smash Champion
The 16 players still in winners:
ZeRo :4sheik::4diddy:
John #s :4wiifit:
Ally :4mario:
MJG :4villager:
Abadango :4pacman::rosalina:
Angel Cortes :4diddy:
ESAM :4pikachu:
Regi :4gaw: (thanks @ ぱみゅ ぱみゅ )
Nairo :4zss::4darkpit:
False :4sheik:
Larry Lurr :4fox:
CaptAwesum :4villager:
StaticManny :4sonic:
FOW :4ness:
Mr-R :4sheik:
Dapuffster :4miibrawl:

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So Larry is verse CaptAwesum in Semi-Finals. What is Larry tag in Smashboard? He better learn the matchup.
Someone please send him this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BZss1QUIwQ
I swear if Larry pulls out Falco for this MU... Then again, I don't know what customs Falco vs. customs Villager would be like or what Fox, Luigi, or Sheik vs. Villager in general is like; default Falco vs. Villager was considered even. You trade speed, hit confirms, and mobility for "survivability", more edgeguarding tools, and in general, more power or kill options. Then again, Larry's Fox is better than his Falco which is probably worse than his Luigi and Sheik.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Can Villager pocket Falco's explosive blaster? I think that one would help catch Villager at the ledge.
Villager can pocket all of Fox and Falco's Blaster shots, but considering Falco's Blasters are *** for raw damage and killing, it's pretty much pointless to pocket any of Falco's lasers except for free damage which Villager could just Fair/Bair instead for free damage and kill. Fox is in the same boat except for Charge Blaster which personally, I would never use against Villager. Default or Impact would be better choices since they couldn't be used lethally against you.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I know I'm going off theory craft but the fact that custom villagers are not even using the best strategy and are still getting far in bracket is alarming.

See these villagers are not even trying. Now imagine if they DID try. This is why I think along with heavy skull bash some of villagers customs should banned too. Not because of ledge stall, but because his frame traps are ungodly and most likely impossible to get around.

I 100% believe custom villager is broken. If Zero gets that wiiu u he's asking for it's game over. Everyone might as well be fighting for second (as per usual lol).
If you don't have a fast character (and even if you do) you want to play patiently against custom Villager. If you play the character you know his weaknesses and blind spots better than most. Custom Villager is a force to be reckoned with, but his inherent attributes (floatiness, bad grab, poor mobility) prevent him from being broken. The only thing that I would 100% change on his customs is stop his balloons from floating through the stage, as it gives him artificial safety while grabbing the ledge.

I'd be interested to see ZeRo play custom Villager, from what I know about his playstyle (pressure) it would be a great fit. But unless he's been practicing the character for a while, I don't see him labbing the character for one night then pulling him out in a tournament this huge. He'd go with what's comfortable and proven to be successful with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom