• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2kXV Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I want a tournament to run the worst moves for everyone now. It would be hilarious.
There are characters whose worst moves aren't that bad. Case in point: Fox. Fox's set would be something like default Blaster, Fox Burst, Flying Fox, and any of the Reflectors - probably Amplifying since the startup would hurt Fox's ability to reflect on reaction. So what would happen to Fox? Blaster's the same; he has no way to cause hit stun with Impact or Charge or even kill with Charge. Fox Burst only having a hitbox at the end and the end lag would hurt Fox's ability to use it to chase with Illusion, he probably can't Instant Aerial Illusion with it, cause hitstun with Illusion, and he won't have access to a spike with Wolf Flash, and Flying Fox would "improve" his recovery in a sense of it has lower startup, but not having a hitbox means Fox is basically free if he's forced to use it to recover or kill like he could with Twisting and even Fire Fox. Most of those are "utility" compared to Marth's where moves like Dancing Blade, Dolphin Slash, Crescent Slash, and Shield Breaker were really useful to his kill setups, approaches, breakaways, etc. Then consider the fact that DLC characters will have the "best" Specials.

Customs or not, the smash community makes a huge deal over zoning being boring or unfair. People hate mid tiers like duck hunt and megaman when the truly evil campers are the top tiers with god tier mobility that force you to play Mario Kart with them so you can get 8 damage.

Dabuz got more hate at Apex than I've seen for anything custom.
Which is really stupid since zoning is just a core concept of fighting games. Hell, zoning is a core concept of almost any game with combat. The fact, the very damned fact that all of the Smash games have zoning, but at different paces is what makes it even more asinine. SSB64 was a bit more fast to medium speed with Fox being the fast and I guess, Link, being the more medium speed zoning. Melee? Pretty much the same thing with Fox and Falco being the faster zoners and nobody else being a slow zoner. Young Link maybe, but he was kind of the Melee Duck Hunt who depended on his projectiles while Toon Link's more versatile even if his Bombs are very crucial to his game. Brawl? Snake, Diddy, and Olimar were probably medium-paced zoners at worse. And now Smash 4, well, Duck Hunt, Pac-Man, and Villager are the slower zoners which is neat since we didn't really have slow zoners, but medium speed, and Rosalina's a puppeteer archetype that was never in existence in Smash. So what now? You've got your fast zoners like Fox and Pikachu, your medium paced ones like Pit and Mega Man, and your slower ones like Robin and Pac-Man.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
6WX making Sonic look really good. That first set kill was amazing. Down Air at the top of the stage his always hype.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Er... Anyone know who Keitaro's talking about? A Japanese Robin... hmm...
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Edit: As in specifically who since I'm trying to find this dude in the bracket.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That banana to up b kill is disgusting. Wow.

Good to know Diddy benefits from customs though.

Last edited:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
GOD ****ING DAMN IT 6WX. YOU HAD ONE JOB. AND YOU LOST TO A DIDDY KONG!?

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105

Mr. ii

Edit: Is this Rosaluma from Abadango for real or....

oh yeah this is for real

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Mr. II's the Robin that discovered the instant-tome catch that I mentioned a ways back.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
People feared to get hit by a Banana before, did they forget about that fear?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13

his tag is literally mr ii as it says in the tweet, here's his quarters bracket: http://evo2015.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/ssb4_f33.html

Custom Diddy is very good. Post-patch I think Battering Banana Peel loses a lot of it's effectiveness but Rocketbarrel attack is pretty incredible.

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
Abadango going with Rosalina. This will be interesting.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
god dammit the anti-customs party are gonna assault that :4diddy: up b now :mad:
So is this gonna be the norm every time a relatively ridiculous custom pops up because it's getting tiring. That up b IS stupid.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
I know; I'm not illiterate. I wanted to know specifically who this dude was which by this post, has been answered.
you kind of made it sound like you couldn't find him in the bracket player search, sorry

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
abadango timed him out, but the commentators and i were engaged in the match the entire time.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
That was one of the most entertaining timeouts I've seen in a while. They were constantly clashing, though sadly it dragged on only because they failed to punish each other hard.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
The VGbootcamp is just saying that customs suck or are bad. And most of them arent' bad at all. I don't want to keep seeing Sheik winning or Low tiers not having a single chance. We have been watching some pretty hype matches from Low tiers in this Evo. We even got some top players get rekt. Like Nakat who got defeated by John Numbers. a Wii Fit Trainer main. Or how the hell a Lucina actually defeated a Sonic and Lucario main.
Lucina absolutely destroys Lucario with Up-smash alone lol.

Probably the worst switch I've ever seen.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
you kind of made it sound like you couldn't find him in the bracket player search, sorry
Well, my wording was bad, so nothing on you.

Just realized that most of the "jank" customs are Up-Bs. Like Kong Cyclone, Extreme Balloon Trip and now Diddy's Up-B custom.
Default Up Specials could count too.... People hate Mario's Super Jump Punch, people hate Sonic's Spring Jump, people hate ZSS's Boost Kick, people hate Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop, people hate Yoshi's Egg Throw, people hate Pikachu's Quick Attack, people hate Lucario's Extremespeed when he's got a lot of aura, and if Zelda and Samus were more popular, people would hate their Farore's Wind and Screw Attack too. To summarize, people just hate.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
So is this gonna be the norm every time a relatively ridiculous custom pops up because it's getting tiring. That up b IS stupid.
As someone who's used it in tournament (and I rate it, probably worth taking in most matchups) it's definitely not without it's downsides. It's very punishable on miss and your recovery goes from kinda bad to "if you're offstage without a DJ you should be dead". The fact that it creates a true 50/50 between uair (beats jump) and up-b (beats airdodge) at kill percent is a little bit silly, but Sheik among other characters can do the exact same thing. Kill confirms out of banana are nice but nothing new.

Can you link me to the bracket search? I honestly can't find it.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
As someone who's used it in tournament (and I rate it, probably worth taking in most matchups) it's definitely not without it's downsides. It's very punishable on miss and your recovery goes from kinda bad to "if you're offstage without a DJ you should be dead". The fact that it creates a true 50/50 between uair (beats jump) and up-b (beats airdodge) at kill percent is a little bit silly, but Sheik among other characters can do the exact same thing. Kill confirms out of banana are nice but nothing new.

http://evo2015.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/players.html

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105

Yeah they made it pretty hard to find

http://evo2015.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/players.html

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Well, my wording was bad, so nothing on you.

Default Up Specials could count too.... People hate Mario's Super Jump Punch, people hate Sonic's Spring Jump, people hate ZSS's Boost Kick, people hate Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop, people hate Yoshi's Egg Throw, people hate Pikachu's Quick Attack, people hate Lucario's Extremespeed when he's got a lot of aura, and if Zelda and Samus were more popular, people would hate their Farore's Wind and Screw Attack too. To summarize, people just hate.
I hate Duck Hunts up b but for different reasons.

DailyDose

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0490-5872-8349
Will be interesting to see after this Abadango match if people actually dislike Rosalina or if hating on Rosalina/Dabuz is just a meme at this point. Imo Dabuz's Rosa is so much more interesting to watch that Abadango's. Both are very defensive but Abanadgo isn't using Luma jab spacing very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom