• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2kXV Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Who's willing to bet that Capt. Awesum winning at all in this tourney will be an argument against customs?
Anything will be an argument against customs. Default-using player wins the tournament, customs-using player wins the tournament, Nairo winning the tournament while throwing up at intervals, the black plague suddenly killing everyone, or a disguised Sakurai could win the tournament and it'll all be against customs. Even click-bait Kotaku's making a big deal out of it.

As for me, I'm an advocate for the banning of good Specials. Characters shall only be allowed to use the worst Specials available to them. Oh, you liked Marth's Crescent Slash? Have fun with Storm Thrust, Heavy Blade, Dolphin Jump, and Easy Counter. No more shield breaking, no more Dancing Blade, no more Crescent Slash followups or just having a hitbox on your recovery, and now you have a weak counter. NOW. ENJOY. THE. GAME.

Pretty sure that sheik also didn't know the matchup. He never went below villager when he was recovering to hit him without getting hit by balloons. Also I'd like to remind you that this villager loses consistently to default zss at my locals :p
K9, right? Hmm... I don't know if there are any prominent Villagers in SoCal... or NorCal. Yeah, K9 probably doesn't know how to fight a Villager.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
If Sheik knows the matchup she can handle custom villager. She wins the projectile war with needles and grenades. She can punish everything despite the sapling with bouncing fish and she can handle him on the ledge fine (vanish>everything).

I've seen people struggle with it the first time, call it hopeless and then come back and beat good villager players.
Well, if we don't see that happen here, then you bet there will be people campaigning against Customs.

Shofu i think he was against customs from the start, didn't knew Acestar was as well.

Also can someone tell me how the Mr. R vs Bloodcross match ended? I was typing this and lost the ending XD.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Well, if we don't see that happen here, then you bet there will be people campaigning against Customs.

Shofu i think he was against customs from the start, didn't knew Acestar was as well.

Also can someone tell me how the Mr. R vs Bloodcross match ended? I was typing this and lost the ending XD.
Bloodcross failed his recovery by aiming his Twisting Fox wrong. Don't know what happened before it.

Djent

Smash Champion
Phew. Didn't want Nairo to go out like that.

D

Deleted member

As for me, I'm an advocate for the banning of good Specials. Characters shall only be allowed to use the worst Specials available to them. Oh, you liked Marth's Crescent Slash? Have fun with Storm Thrust, Heavy Blade, Dolphin Jump, and Easy Counter. No more shield breaking, no more Dancing Blade, no more Crescent Slash followups or just having a hitbox on your recovery, and now you have a weak counter. NOW. ENJOY. THE. GAME.
I want a tournament to run the worst moves for everyone now. It would be hilarious.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
The VGbootcamp is just saying that customs suck or are bad. And most of them arent' bad at all. I don't want to keep seeing Sheik winning or Low tiers not having a single chance. We have been watching some pretty hype matches from Low tiers in this Evo. We even got some top players get rekt. Like Nakat who got defeated by John Numbers. a Wii Fit Trainer main. Or how the hell a Lucina actually defeated a Sonic and Lucario main.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Customs or not, the smash community makes a huge deal over zoning being boring or unfair. People hate mid tiers like duck hunt and megaman when the truly evil campers are the top tiers with god tier mobility that force you to play Mario Kart with them so you can get 8 damage.

Dabuz got more hate at Apex than I've seen for anything custom.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
I mean

You really think all these upsets are happening for no reason?
They do happen for a reason. It's just that the anticustoms people like shofu will pin the blame on customs regardless if the loser uses customs as well.

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
Tweek is having trouble getting through this wall of projectiles.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Customs or not, the smash community makes a huge deal over zoning being boring or unfair. People hate mid tiers like duck hunt and megaman when the truly evil campers are the top tiers with god tier mobility that force you to play Mario Kart with them so you can get 8 damage.

Dabuz got more hate at Apex than I've seen for anything custom.
True. But that isn't exclusive to the smash community, go watch the grand finals for SF4 at evo 2014, and check the comment section. Rose vs Sagat, the sagat player decided it was a good idea to turn it into a fireball war. People raged.

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
Warning Received
Last edited by a moderator:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
NOOOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOOOO! NOOOOOO! TWEEK NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
No.

That didn't happen. I'm dreaming. Please tell me I'm dreaming.

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
And it ended through Tweek getting stage spiked...

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I do not like the Villager.......like....at all.....so freaking boring, so freaking annoying and so frustrating to fight..

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Tweek lost.

I want to know why Tweek went to ledge.
custom balloons leave villager more vulnerable. I think he wanted to drop an up b on him, but he didnt account for diminished ledge invincibility at higher percents i guess, so he hung too long.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Man that was saddening GG though, the invincible on the ledge didn't last at all with his high percent.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Poor Tweek... I cried out when i saw that stage spike.

Seriously, he must be feeling terrible.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
I...have mixed feelings on customs. I feel like the game is more fun without them, but I can't deny that they do provide interesting matches from time to time. The thing is, most of the top tiers that have good customs..were already top tier to begin with. So there is no difference really being made. All that really happens is we get stupid stuff the Kong cyclone or Villager Camping which weighs everybody down.

I think I wouldn't mind if customs died. I admit they can be interesting but in the grand scope of things i feel sm4sh is better without them at the usual tournament level. I wouldn't be opposed to side events though!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That gyroid was probably the closest thing to a 1 frame punish without being one. Really unfortunate that he didn't just stay onstage more and drop a clown car explosion to intercept the balloons.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Phew. Didn't want Nairo to go out like that.
He's been saying he feels like absolute crap. I hope he feels better tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom