• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2k8 Brawl Finals

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
I think it's gross how knowledge of spacing, approaching, DI, recovery, etc is inconsequential compared to the ability to get the smashball.

bombr

Smash Cadet
Did anyone notice how Ken annihilated CPU at the beginning of each match before the items appeared?

I did >_>

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
The commentary is abysmal and almost makes the videos unwatchable.

bombr

Smash Cadet
you guys are dying cause of the items? that was still a match won by skill
Ken shouldn't need to bother practicing with items because they are largely based around luck. And R.O.B.'s superior final smash had a large influence during the match. It was obvious that CPU plays with items on a regular basis, and he relied on them as a means to win.

I don't blame it on CPU, so much as the organizers of EVO.

IT'S CALLED CAMPING.

Smooth Criminal
QFT

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
The commentary is abysmal and almost makes the videos unwatchable.
These guys keep making Street Fighter/capcom fighter game jokes..

lolol ur recovery r teh sux unless u r top tier sentinel, lol rocket punch, awptik blast, fly unfly kekek

zomg custom comboooo activate d-ism zomg11

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
One, I could commentate on a match better than those guys depending on the characters in play (well, any intelligent poster/lurker can really), but that says ALOT.

Secondly, the third match made me throw up when CPU got the kill with a conviently placed bumper.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
These matches were disgusting. ROB won simply because of items. Every single time there were no items on the stage, he was getting rocked. Items have no place in competitive play, especially when some stupid 14 year old child with no grasp on spacing can use items and win.

D

Deleted member

are you fcking joking? did you hear the announcers trying to justify their ruleset during the game?

"The vigors of tournament play are teaching us a lot about smash brothers brawl with items"

i have just lost all my respect that ive ever had for evo. even diago's super parry can't make up for this ****.

Percon

Smash Lord
Are these the same guys that did the commentary for that one PC Chris/Ken set on youtube? Because these people sound similar (though the idiocy gap is huge)

Benjamin Linus

Smash Apprentice
why does the announcer sound like a daycare teacher, whos watching the kids play tag?

I wish everyone in the world would realize from this that brawl is a joke.

D

Deleted member

56k is the fix master

i dont get why somebody who hates brawl so badly would come onto the brawl boards and troll

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
From the looks at the start of each match ken was completely owning CPU until items showed up. I am not saying CPU is bad, in fact he had some nice non item play, it is just that when items showed up he really relied on them and smashballs seemed to be his main kill move. I don't get why ken didn't combo into final smash very much. He could have easily won each match.

CPU did have a nice edgehog and skyworld claimed a life from Ken.

The commentary was pretty bad. I can't think of a video where the commentary has been good. "Skyworld is only good for characters with rocket punch" and "SEEEEEE PPPPPPP UUUUUU."

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are these the same guys that did the commentary for that one PC Chris/Ken set on youtube? Because these people sound similar (though the idiocy gap is huge)
I believe the commentators for that were Wife and someone else.

Here's what I learned from this:

1. Items are stupid.
2. Ken blows at this game.
3. CPU is a total n00b.
4. EVO is a joke.
5. Items are stupid

rinoH

Smash Lord
wow those vids were fail though we did get to see vids of ken finally

the commentary is so bad too they should have used the people from the getyourtournament vids those guys are hilarious

J4pu

Smash Champion
Melee was in evo2k7 right? and there were no items in that rule-set. YTF did they change it for brawl? Is it just because smash balls seemed like such an "innovative" item?

Anyways I agree with basically everbody who posted before me saying that items suck and this game was robbed from ken. Instead of 2 grand being lost from tripping, 2 grand was lost by items, what a freakin joke.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
"Incredibly intelligent 14yr old player". Wow i'd punch him in the mouth if i've ever met such a smart kid, and the commentator too... 2 birds one fist.

My God, i was eating..... not anymore.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
The Evo commentators always have sucked.

Should of had good old Rob money do the commentary like he does at Texas tournaments.

Hell, most people don't even know the story behind no johns, it was created by Crystal City Crew.

But anyways, the items weren't THAT big of a deal, but even on the SRK response thread the attendees can agree that smashballs are stupid.

Match 2, I'm pretty sure everyone was surprised that ROB despite being in the middle of Marth's forward B combo was still able to activate his Final Smash. And Rob being able to become invincible compared to Marth's one shot really messes up the character balance.

However we should all be able to agree that the last stock was lost because Ken got edgehogged. Surprising I know, but then again items were the main reason for all of CPU's kills in the last match (Screw attack anyone?)

Evo's attendence for Brawl failed hard, by getting only about 107 entries. There have been many tournaments already with a much higher attendance. For some unknown reason Evo was concerned about the spectators, hence them wanting to make a "faster paced" and "more exciting to watch" ruleset. Evo should care a little more about the players, those being the ones that traveled long and far to test their skills, especially considering Vegas isn't exactly a easy and cheap trip for anyone.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
wtf people i thought the evo commentator was enjoyable, and the match was enjoyable

what is with everyone

I enjoyed it.
thank you.

i hope everyone knows what outright smashboardian hostility and disrespect looks like to evo staff. there's a thread in tournament results where even our moderators are speaking out of turn.

also, i enjoyed the SF jokes in the commentary, i thought it was funny, duh

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Playing with items on is simply playing the game differently. The bias nonsense in this thread is no better than the "you suck" comments about a youtube video.

Edit: And it was interesting to watch. I'd never play that way though...

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
OMG WTF???!!?! Smashballs are absolutely, positively not meant for 1v1 play, especially in a tourney setting! CPU is by no means a bad player, and neither is Ken. But I wish they had an opportunity to fight without the distractions. Wow... look at the glowing, floating ball of smash... lets see who can hit it the best!

Lets all have a moment of silence for Ken...... ****ING ****!

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
You are just a bunch of traumatized item haters. You really piss me off. The tournament was exciting , and this matches show how item skills, combos and tactics add complexity and can change the outcome of a match. So Rob's Final Smash was more useful? Then what? That is part of being Rob, his fifth move. Please stop the trolling about Item play. I do think that matches should have been 5 stocks.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Smash Balls gives one more reason to choose a character. His fifth move. Sonic is scary now isn't it?

It really excited me to see people avoiding final smashes.... CPU doing item combos. It was great. A whole new dimension of play.
I don't know if items should be mid or low. I insist, 5 stocks. 3 are too low for item play.

Top Bottom