• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2k8 Brawl Finals

D

Deleted member

actually im just pointing out everything that has been physically said in this thread.i guess if i wanted to twist your words around i would edit your posts instead of quoting you in order hahaha!

but,regardless of what you think it doesnt change what you actually said.the only one making assumptions is you "u"

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I really do have to wonder how you can play a game competitively for seven years and yet not be known by anybody. You must either not ever go to any non-local tournaments, suck epically and not stay around for any friendlies at all after being eliminated, or be lying.

AnimeSnoopy

Smash Cadet
I really do have to wonder how you can play a game competitively for seven years and yet not be known by anybody.
How could you possibly have not heard of me???

jk.

=Ankoku;5331492] You must either not ever go to any non-local tournaments.
You Win. Look out for me in the near future at a popular tournament scene. I'll pop up eventually. Hopefully. Possibly. Nah, maybe not.

AnimeSnoopy

Smash Cadet
actually im just pointing out everything that has been physically said in this thread.i guess if i wanted to twist your words around i would edit your posts instead of quoting you in order hahaha!

but,regardless of what you think it doesnt change what you actually said.the only one making assumptions is you "u"
A mature person in a direct debate on SmashBoards? Unbelievable. lol at this point any argument is better than the usual kiddie comment: "stfu noob." A lot more people would comment here if it were not for all the flaming. Sry for the double post but that had to be said.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I wish I was an incredibly intelligent fourteen-year-old player.

Next year, I'm going to go eat some items. They'll be delicious.

KOartist

Smash Rookie
These matches were disgusting. ROB won simply because of items. Every single time there were no items on the stage, he was getting rocked. Items have no place in competitive play, especially when some stupid 14 year old child with no grasp on spacing can use items and win.
Man, i agree. If this is how they run tourneys now, then anybody can win, and there's no point in entering these tourneys if they keep allowing items in play, but dont talk bad about CPU, i mean he just wanted to win is all

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
i think i just barfed all over my keyboard.

oh my god, that was crap.

i hope to god mlg doesn't put items in.

oxhaseokunxo

Smash Rookie
Ken = Spacing Genius
CPU = Mix between cheap *** item camper and Top Meta-Game Rob player
Winner = CPU... WTF?
Overall, R.O.B > Marth

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I'm amazed that they let the items they did in. Hmm, not a bad choice really. It made the matches genuinely more interesting to watch and added an extra layer of strategy.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I was satisfied with the way Evo unfolded, but then again, I played real fighting games first and Smash second, so I come into the picture with that "the only thing to ban is ban itself" mentality. Personally, I think that items in Brawl are pretty cool, and I think that Evo has every right to run its tournaments however the heck it wants. If the self-proclaimed 'pro Smashers' are displeased, then I'm sure there are hundreds and hundreds of tournaments that run Brawl like it's Melee, which is something Brawl could never be.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I was satisfied with the way Evo unfolded, but then again, I played real fighting games first and Smash second, so I come into the picture with that "the only thing to ban is ban itself" mentality. Personally, I think that items in Brawl are pretty cool, and I think that Evo has every right to run its tournaments however the heck it wants. If the self-proclaimed 'pro Smashers' are displeased, then I'm sure there are hundreds and hundreds of tournaments that run Brawl like it's Melee, which is something Brawl could never be.
"Real" fighting games? Excuse me, but what makes a "real" fighting game? I'm not sure, but I don't think you're the supreme overlord of what's what, so maybe you should hop down off your high-horse.

Also, Brawl is already a bad and unbalanced game, so adding items makes it even worse. Aren't you the same person who got banned from SRK, even after how hard you defended them after they ruined their tournament? LOL Guess you're not wanted anywhere.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
"Real" fighting games? Excuse me, but what makes a "real" fighting game? I'm not sure, but I don't think you're the supreme overlord of what's what, so maybe you should hop down off your high-horse.

Also, Brawl is already a bad and unbalanced game, so adding items makes it even worse. Aren't you the same person who got banned from SRK, even after how hard you defended them after they ruined their tournament? LOL Guess you're not wanted anywhere.
When I say 'real' fighting games, I mean fighting games in the traditional sense, that being one on one, life bars, et cetera, et cetera. Considering that Super Smash Bros. Melee is probably my favorite game to play on a competitive basis(despite how bad I am at it), I don't think I'm on any sort of high horse at all. I'm simply saying that in the traditional sense, Smash is not a fighting game, but more of a hybrid of the fighting and platformer genres. Notice that when it comes to splicing genres, or simply rehashing them, Nintendo seems to do that quite a bit. Mario Kart, Super Mario Strikers, and Mario Superstar Baseball are other examples of this.
The reason that I think items are cool in Brawl is because if Brawl has items, it will be differentiated from Melee, which is something I want. I also think that without items, Brawl is painfully boring. At least with all the random chaos, Brawl won't put people to sleep. In the end, I consider Brawl a poor competitive game no matter what's done to it. Melee is superior, yadda yadda yadda. Love the personal attacks, though. That's nice and mature of you. Do you do that to everyone who disagrees with you, or is that just a special treatment I get because I got banned from SRK for a week? While I'm thinking about it, though, if you honestly dislike Brawl, then why do you play it? I certainly don't, not on a competitive basis anyway.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
When I say 'real' fighting games, I mean fighting games in the traditional sense, that being one on one, life bars, et cetera, et cetera. Considering that Super Smash Bros. Melee is probably my favorite game to play on a competitive basis(despite how bad I am at it), I don't think I'm on any sort of high horse at all. I'm simply saying that in the traditional sense, Smash is not a fighting game, but more of a hybrid of the fighting and platformer genres. Notice that when it comes to splicing genres, or simply rehashing them, Nintendo seems to do that quite a bit. Mario Kart, Super Mario Strikers, and Mario Superstar Baseball are other examples of this.
The reason that I think items are cool in Brawl is because if Brawl has items, it will be differentiated from Melee, which is something I want. I also think that without items, Brawl is painfully boring. At least with all the random chaos, Brawl won't put people to sleep. In the end, I consider Brawl a poor competitive game no matter what's done to it. Melee is superior, yadda yadda yadda. Love the personal attacks, though. That's nice and mature of you. Do you do that to everyone who disagrees with you, or is that just a special treatment I get because I got banned from SRK for a week? While I'm thinking about it, though, if you honestly dislike Brawl, then why do you play it? I certainly don't, not on a competitive basis anyway.

Uh, maybe you shouldn't say "REAL FIGHTERS" then, and maybe say...traditional fighters? It's kind of a smack in the face to people who play smash and are good at it to tell them their game isn't a "real" fighter. I don't play Brawl competitively often, I only play when there is a Brawl tournament around the same time as a Melee one, and I play for free money. I don't like the game. Brawl is already bad enough without items, no reason to make it completely unplayable with them.

Your reason behind items being good in Brawl is also horrible. The game is to play to see who is the best player, not to entertain the crowd. I'm pretty sure when I'm playing a serious match, I don't give two ****s what the people behind me are thinking. Evo seems to care about this too much, which is why they are doomed to fail when it comes to Brawl, as if it wasn't enough of a failure already.

And no, I don't personally attack people who disagree with me, only annoying people. Sup?

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Ahh, traditional fighters, then. Sorry about that. I really should have worded it better, and that's my bad.
I think that in 2007, most of the people who came to play the more traditional fighters were displeased with Melee, often booing and screaming obscenities. Those people, rude as they are, come first in the eyes of the Evo. I think that they did this as a conscious effort to separate the Evo-going players from the rest of the Smash faithful. I strongly oppose this decision, despite the fact that I enjoyed watching the matches, liked the outcome of Evo from a gameplay standpoint, and enjoy playing Brawl with items on, so much in fact that I refuse to play with them off.
I honestly believe that Evo should discontinue Smash tournaments of any sort, as should larger and more traditional fighting game events such as Final Round. I wouldn't say this, because it pains me to do so, but it seems that the Smash community and the communities of traditional fighters do not mesh well. Complaints are often filed at the length of Smash tournaments, and as I stated before, the community is displeased with Smash as a whole(mostly for no good reason other than the presence of Nintendo characters, which is stupid). Evo is doomed to fail when it comes to Smash in general, because they play to the wrong crowd. Were they to start their own community for the same game, one that is vastly different due to the presence of items, I would respect that. However, it doesn't seem like that is their goal. They inserted items into Brawl to appease non-Smash players, aka the spectators, which is not a good reason to radically alter the tried-and-true gameplay that Smash players have held so dear for so long. As I've said, yes, I prefer Brawl with items on. However, the reasoning behind Evo's decision to play it this way, despite the fact that I like it, is a grand display of misguided logic. I approve of items-on Brawl, but I do not approve of the way it was presented.

vindKtiv

Smash Rookie
Man, i agree. If this is how they run tourneys now, then anybody can win, and there's no point in entering these tourneys if they keep allowing items in play, but dont talk bad about CPU, i mean he just wanted to win is all
It's like professional Poker. Luck plays a part in the game, but also skill plays a part also. Items don't really turn the tide that much. A lot of people I know who don't play with items just do so because they always lose with them on. It isn't because they add luck, its because they aren't skilled enough to handle items. Brawl really nerfed the items so that a hammer isn't an instant win.

Though I agree with items having no part in competitive play. Items DO add luck and that really allows less skilled players to beat more skilled players. But that is just because Brawl really isn't a good competitive game and was never meant to be a competitive game, it is more fun with three other people in a living room playing the night away. Competitive gaming in Super Smash will always be constrained by tiers and exploitions of the game mechanics.

Revolver Roosevelt

Smash Cadet
lol, all you need to entertain the crowd is to get an impromptu commentator to start an uproar. I've seen plenty of commentators who are that badass

Zero.K.Noble

Smash Rookie
I think Sakurai is secretly paying them to turn the items on, attempting to ruin competitive play more than he already did. D:

Anyways...it was really dissappointing that Ken lost, I think I'll side with the people who say that Items won the battle for CPU, the strategy CPU used must have been more than annoying for Ken..his strategy consisted of these:
-Sidestep REPEATEDLY / downsmash when Ken got close
-Run away and camp with items / gyro / laser

But people should stop complaining about this tournament having items, it's not like every tournament is doing it. So we should calm down and wait until we can see Ken in action with the mainstream tourney ruleset, though it must have been an *** for Ken, since money was on the line, so I can see why people are getting a bit edgy.

*Puts up ice shield*
wait...something's wrong here...

Edit: Oh yeah...the commentatators...I think that one guy needs to calm down. >.< I know he was probably trying to make it exciting or something, but the audience was probably getting weirded out by it.

Top Bottom