• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2013 Stream Cance--IS BACK

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
Here's the email I sent, as well as posted on their facebook:

I've enjoyed playing Nintendo games since before I can remember. You've been an integral part of my childhood, adolescence, and even my education and career choices. I can't explain enough my appreciation for the legacy and heritage that Nintendo has built and that I've enjoyed for the greater part of my life. That said, considering the attitude that you've shown towards your most devoted fans, who have kept one of your greatest games alive for well over a decade, I'm afraid that I can no longer place my confidence in you as a consumer, nor as a once devoted fan. I was incredibly excited for the future, saving money for a Wii U and the upcoming exciting titles, and what I hope would be the continuation of a strong heritage. But if this is how Nintendo is going to regard its fanbase, I can no longer support you as a consumer or a fan.
I want to like you, and I want to be a fan, but if you're going to act like this, as much as I want to, I can't have it. Goodbye, Nintendo.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Won't you all get kicked out by doing that? And cause lots of problems for the EVO staff?
Reread the first post. It's only streaming that is forbidden; recording videos (what people did for nearly a decade before streaming became prevalent) is still allowed.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Everyone start tweeting Reggie.

At E3, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime defended the company's move and said it wasn't meant to target any one fan, company or approach to making Nintendo-related videos. "We love our fans," he told Kotaku. "We appreciate everything that our fans do. We had to take this formal step to be very clear about our IP."
https://twitter.com/ReggieFilsNOA

t3h Icy

Smash Master
It's so much more than taking away the hype. Smashers around the world have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars getting Melee into EVO, traveling just to get there, paying for entrance, hotels, everything, and doing this just 3 days away is a colossally **** move.

So many of us at home are going to have an empty weekend if this isn't fixed.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Why are people thinking you will get kicked out for recording? It is streaming that's forbidden not recording, unless EVO says otherwise as recording alone doesn't/shouldn't infringe on the copyright at all.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I don't get it. Nintendo recently backed out of that Youtube thing where they get a cut pay from anything related to Nintendo but were okay with people putting up videos of their games. What the hell is going on at NoA? Ya'll should be focusing on putting more advertisements for Wii U together- not chasing down this Smash community.

*****?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
They are one in the same I think. But the tweets are going at Nintendo of America fortunately.
They're not the same hence the region they're named. Nintendo of America is really stubborn, though, but calling out Nintendo as a whole on trying to boycott is just absurd.

I think if they had asked Nintendo permission they would've allowed it. This situation is already similar to Nintendo's Let's Play policy where the creators of their videos don't gain money but only Nintendo, but I think they've already changed their minds and let that policy go. This can change if done right.

Super

Smash Apprentice
The funny thing is that they allowed Smash to be at Evo twice prior...

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
This is absolutely absurd. Nintendo, this is a 12-year-old game. (A good game, granted, but an ancient game nonetheless.) What could you POSSIBLY gain or stand to lose by allowing those streams? Are you KIDDING me? The odds of me buying 3DS/WiiU just went down.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Melee not being streamed has such a profound effect it's crazy. Seriously. Think about it.

At a glance, one might think that people who aren't going to EVO aren't going to watch top 8, and whatever VGBC and others would stream. This is true. However, this means that Melee has been removed completely from the streaming schedule. In other words, the BIG SCREEN. The exposure of having top 8 on the big screen locally at EVO is gone. Not only that, the exposure of the tons of viewers on the official EVO stream. I am assuming that the big screen where everyone is watching is the setup where the stream is, so I doubt they would put down the stream just for Melee. Not only that, but people who don't have access to the alpha hall on Sunday aren't even going to catch top 8 on the stream, so what the hell. (I'm one of the poor saps who don't have access to the alpha hall on Sunday.)

EDIT: I just saw that they moved top 8 to Saturday. Everyone else who paid extra to get alpha hall access on Sunday got ripped off 'cause there's no Melee on Sunday.

ArleX

Smash Cadet
It's with a very heavy heart that I must report some bad news. I'm sure you're all aware that Nintendo is tightening it's policies around uses of it's IP by 3rd parties. We have just been informed by their legal department that we do not have permission to stream SSBM. We will, of course, honor both the letter and the intent of their request. All broadcasts of SSBM, both official and unofficial, will be forbidden at Evo 2013. Though I understand everyone is disappointed, please do not setup bootleg SSBM streams on your phones. Doing so would put the entire tournament in jeopardy. Anyone at Evo who broadcasts SSBM will be immediately disqualified from the tournament, their passes will be revoked, and you will be asked to leave the premises. You are, of course, free to take whatever pictures or videos you like for your own personal enjoyment at the event.

Since it cannot be broadcast, we will be moving the SSBM finals to Saturday immediately following the Semi Finals (est: 2:00 PM).

You guys worked very hard to get to Evo, and you should be proud of what you've done for your community and the millions of victims of Breast Cancer around the world. Even though there will be no stream, we think Smash is going to be one of the highlights of Evo this year, and we're proud to have you guys be a part of it!

Dude, stop being such a sissy girl. Nintendo legal department? So? It´s not like no one in this forum isn´t a lawyer, I´m sure they will be happy to legally advice you (including me, but I´m not familiarize with your legal system since I´m mexican).

I said you go, post that "legal letter" from Nintendo and then a ton of lawyer-smasher will happilly advice you.

If they need some informatio they can search the case of Starcraft in Korea vs Blizzard. Blizzard did the exact same thing and at the end they loose (or got in an agreement with KeSpa (Korean E-Sports Asocciation).

I say everyone go there, record the matches and post them. You think they can revoke and ask everyone to leave? Go for it.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We got coveraged at Game Trailer!!! Click here for the article!!! YEAH-YUH, GAMING MEDIA HELPING US OUT!!!
Compile a list of names, claiming they will not purchase the new smash bros or a WiiU in response of this news, and send it to Nintendo. Customers control the corporations, not the other way around.
LET'S DO THIS THING!!!
Sign my name on the dotted line!!!
-Johnknight1 Watson
Well, guess that means I'll be pirating instead of buying every nintendo product in the future. Nice one.
Time to make sure Nintendo no longer gets a dime out of us!!!

NINTENDO! STOP BEING MICROSOFT!!!

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Ill be the 2000000000000 person to say this......

This "no smash stream at evo" is not surprising and expected. MLG/EVO did this with brawl and melee because of Nintendo. So many new gens freaking out LMAO
You honestly think that it is the new players who are freaking out only?
Honestly?

Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
Dude, stop being such a sissy girl. Nintendo legal department? So? It´s not like no one in this forum isn´t a lawyer, I´m sure they will be happy to legally advice you (including me, but I´m not familiarize with your legal system since I´m mexican).

I said you go, post that "legal letter" from Nintendo and then a ton of lawyer-smasher will happilly advice you.

If they need some informatio they can search the case of Starcraft in Korea vs Blizzard. Blizzard did the exact same thing and at the end they loose (or got in an agreement with KeSpa (Korean E-Sports Asocciation).

I say everyone go there, record the matches and post them. You think they can revoke and ask everyone to leave? Go for it.

they only lost because korean laws on these things are funky, blizzard actually should've gotten a cut of the huge amounts of money kespa made on their game.

that said i dont support nintendo's decision and this is totally irrelevant

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Guys please remember that when you ask nintendo to allow the streaming of melee at evo you are not only representing your own voice but you are representing the voice of smash players world wide. its totally ok to be stern when voicing your opinion but please do it with respect. Do it not for me or for your mommy, do it for MELEE

Atlus8

Smash Master
E-mailed sent and I rarely use my twitter, but for those of you that don't have one please make one now! Send them over to @NintendoAmerica with #MeleeStream4EVO We ain't going down this easily!

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Pokemon Red on the GBC was my first Nintendo game (and first video game period), and if nothing changes the copy of Fire Emblem Awakening I ordered last week will be my last, getting a Wii U or Smash 4 is completely out of the question. Thanks for all the good times Nintendo, but get with the times or get lost behind.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

Prog is really pissing me off by saying this is ok.

Is he ****ing serious? I'm at work so I can't have sound on right now, so can someone quickly cap up what's going on stream in text please?

Plot twist: Prog has been a double agent working for Nintendo the entire time(jokes).

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
out of EVERYBODY,

I think I am the MOST mad about this

But to say things like "I hate nintendo, I am pirating games, I won't buy Smash 4"

is going to hurt everybody in the scene, when THIS DECISION WAS PROBABLY MADE BY ONE PERSON , NOT AN ENTIRE COMPANY OF HARD-WORKERS
I wanted to be a future smash streamer for Smash 4 (and still do) . I'll do this at www.twitch.tv/mew2king when I get enough followers/subscribers (currently I use /clashtournaments and /pbnj23 ), and will post updates at www.facebook.com/mewtwoking for ALL of my future ANYTHING

I'm not gonna lie.
this killed my hype for Evo a LOT. LIKE A LOT. I don't even want to enter anymore. And now finals are at 2 PM on Saturday? (is this true?) That's not even POSSIBLE.
(I'm using internet wifi about to get to my plane to vegas)

I will probably be moving to Seattle soon to work for Nintendo at Aerotek of Nintendo of America, probably (Melvin said "if you move to Seattle, you got the job", to me at E3, so we'll see what happens). It would just be for QA and game testing

BUT

Even though I'm not a programmer or artist. I DO intend to move up the corporate ladder however I can possible, so I can gain POWER for this company

I want to make the Smash series the best series POSSIBLE

I've probably played the Smash series in total over 10,000 hours. All I wanted to do most of my life is play it, be the best at it, and MAKE it.

But it seems Nintendo has no problem making them, but more of a problem with their authority not making proper decisions

My life goal, since a few months ago but ESPECIALLY now, is to make Smash 4 and all future smash events as competitively good as possible. I don't know if I can even reach this goal, but I will work hard to make it happen

DON'T be negative anymore. I actually regret making the negative posts I have, since this is all the decision of one person, not an entire company. (and THOSE people would be hurt more than the probably-rich decision-maker in all of this).

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Is he ****ing serious? I'm at work so I can't have sound on right now, so can someone quickly cap up what's going on stream in text please?

Plot twist: Prog has been a double agent working for Nintendo the entire time(jokes).
No, Froggy is just a goofy ************.

Prog is with us all the way. He was with us when we didn't even kinda have our **** together.

ArleX

Smash Cadet
they only lost because korean laws on these things are funky, blizzard actually should've gotten a cut of the huge amounts of money kespa made on their game.

that said i dont support nintendo's decision and this is totally irrelevant

Not sure if it was korean legal system or USA one, but they can use the ideas. I think they did but the difference between smash and starcraft is the amount of money, sponsors, teams, tvchannels, etc that starcraft has in korea. Of course the EVO awards are good, but Nintendo isn´t going to earn anything if they try the blizzard stuff

Nintendo - You Suck OK?

Banned via Warnings
You go Jason boi. *Is Nova/Shaun/The guy that gave you $100 to compensate for flashing you about a week ago* and yeah, it's pretty ****. <3

smashmachine

Smash Lord
so:
Melee gets ripped off for obvious reasons
Skullgirls gets robbed of exposure
other games (see: P4A) get screwed because of schedule changes
way to go, Nintendo! :rolleyes:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hate to be that guy in this, but it is kinda out of Mr.Wizard's control. I mean ultimately, if Nintendo chooses to ignore people's complaints then the EVO staff won't be able to do anything but abide by it. I suppose though, that the only fair thing here would be to move Skullgirls on stream to Melee's spot since it came 2nd in the poll. I can't honestly though, imagine how much this has to suck for you guys.

Croi

Smash Lord
So the problem is with Nintendo of America, right?

The next time Melee gets into the lineup, why not move EVO to Britain? NoE probably won't give a ****.

pickle962

Smash Lord
You think Nintendo would have learned from Microsoft, but NOOOO! Just like M$, Big N tries to pull stupid sh*t that infringes on gamers right! Considering the fact LOTS of money was raised just so Melee could be shown at EVO only to have it "banned" from being streamed just cause Nintendo refuses to grow up is nothing short of COLD! I personally think EVO should ignore what Nintendo said, give em the finger and stream melee just like they planned! If Big N doesn't like it, too ****ing bad! Grow the hell up Nintendo and get with the times!

Top Bottom