• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2013 Stream Cance--IS BACK

Neuron_Panzer

Smash Rookie
More than anything, you guys should be terrified for what this means for Apex and the Melee/Brawl streaming scene in general. Fight back! Don't take it lying down. Hit them with a social media hurricane.

Zef

Smash Ace
don't start with the BOYCOTT SMASH 4 HURRRR PIRATE ALL THE GAMES bull****, that will make things worse you ****ing plebs

ZIngaZ

Smash Cadet
I like how it took less then half an hour for the community and press surrounding Evo to get Smash trending on twitter.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
"Streaming brings attention & potential sales to Smash Bros, neither of which are part of our business strategy with the Wii U."

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
FML. I was debating on the WiiU. Not anymore.

Also, just because you have stuck with a product for 12 years/been loyal doesn't make it special. They couldn't care less how long you play a game after buying it. They made their money already.

That's just the thing though. People standing by a product for 12 years says a lot about the product itself doesn't it? Besides isn't streaming content like this a way of advertising their product? Even if they don't care about how much we like the game after we've bought it I don't understand why they would want to shut this down, it does nothing for them financially; unless they plan on monopolizing stream content and making it a paid for venture or something (obviously this is just theorycrafting but it's the only legitimate reason I could see it happening). If nothing else, this decision puts Nintendo in a very bad light which may come back to haunt them especially since their getting ready to release another batch of sequels. I don't know it's just me but if I were nintendo I would be partnering up with EVO and other smash related streams in order to come to a compromise that was actually beneficial to their business rather than trying to nip their fanbase where it's the strongest.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
What would be the best place to send a physical format letter to regarding this matter? I figure a massive influx of letters showing our disappointment could not be ignored.

PHD

Smash Apprentice
Using hashtags and other forms of slacktivism won't do anything. If we want a change, we need to get a petition signed and send it to Nintendo. The anti-region lock petition at least got enough signatures to warrant a reply from Nintendo, even if it wasnt the response we wanted.
That was over a few weeks right? This is a few days before the event. Do we have enough time to garner that much support?

smashmachine

Smash Lord
alternatively:
NRS/WB: pays to have Injustice streamed at Evo
Nintendo: threatens to sue if Smash is streamed at Evo

BrandX

Smash Ace
hey skullgirls, want some extra stream time?
blah too late, new schedule is up

Dude don't even joke, Its saddening to watch nintendo **** all over you guys after you donated 90k dollars to breast cancer research.

Mike Z even sees this as bull**** from nintendos part.

BarakuDragon

Smash Cadet
Haven't logged in here for years but this is total BS, you guys worked hard to get melee in evo and deserve every air time you had. E-mailed, fb and twittered nintendo hopefully they'll do a microsoft and do a 180 after they see the back lash. If we all chip in and send them e-mails they will listen also the minute someone gets a petition up I'll happily sign it.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
Almost 700 people on this thread 20mins after it opened! If everyone sends in one email, and signs some sort of e-petition we could definitely get some sort of response

Nintendo - You Suck OK?

Banned via Warnings
As the Aus guy that donated near on 11k to EVO, Nintendo, what my username says.
I'm sure you'd allow it to be streamed if it were a bunch of fat freaks using Wii-Fit to see which one would fall over and die of cardiac arrest the fastest. Or maybe that cataclysmic failure that was Piss, oh sorry Wii Music?
They actually get a decent chance to promote themselves to their actual fans which helped build them into the corperation they are today, and they pull **** like this? ggs
Seriously, I'll sign all the petitions, but Ninty just want their userbase to be stupid inadequate lugubrious little halflings (oh sorry, normal people) who find New Super Mario Bros. hard and actually think the Wii and/or Wii U are decent consoles. Gawd.

Now watch me dance: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=471254209632599 as it's far more entertaining (despite how much I suck) than any game Nintendo farts out nowdays. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

BrandX

Smash Ace
If SkullGirls was the final boss, then Nintendo is the super secret boss with stats beyond your wildest dreams at level 9999.

Do not take this **** from them, stand up and fight back!

V-K

Smash Ace
This doesn't even make sense, I don't understand what benefit Nintendo gets from this. Also why are people not allowed to stream video footage of a game? That's complete nonsense, when people bought a product, then they can create video footage of that, why the **** can a company say you are not allowed to do that?

I feel like Nintendo is doing something that is beyond their actual power but Evo of course will go through with it because they want to avoid legal issues.

EVH

Smash Cadet
That's just the thing though. People standing by a product for 12 years says a lot about the product itself doesn't it? Besides isn't streaming content like this a way of advertising their product? Even if they don't care about how much we like the game after we've bought it I don't understand why they would want to shut this down, it does nothing for them financially; unless they plan on monopolizing stream content and making it a paid for venture or something (obviously this is just theorycrafting but it's the only legitimate reason I could see it happening). If nothing else, this decision puts Nintendo in a very bad light which may come back to haunt them especially since their getting ready to release another batch of sequels. I don't know it's just me but if I were nintendo I would be partnering up with EVO and other smash related streams in order to come to a compromise that was actually beneficial to their business rather than trying to nip their fanbase where it's the strongest.

It's a stupid decision, I agree. But saying that the game should be streamed because people stuck by the game for 12 years is just a poor argument. As I said before, Nintendo couldn't care less about how long you played the game, they made their money.

Sedda

Smash Champion
It's almost like they didn't pay attention to MICRO$OFT. OH WAIT, it's Nintendo. They couldn't give a single ****. **** you Nintendo

t3h Icy

Smash Master
So let's prepare for the worst case scenario where regardless of what we do now and over the next few days, Nintendo refuses to have Melee streamed. Can we PLEASE get dedicated players with recording equipment get every match in at least top 16? This is the greatest and biggest Melee tournament by far in history and it would be a huge loss if we don't record that footage. In the absolute worst case, can everyone record matches with their phones or cameras? PB&J?

Top Bottom