• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2013 Stream Cance--IS BACK

Nintendo - You Suck OK?

Banned via Warnings
So let's prepare for the worst case scenario where regardless of what we do now and over the next few days, Nintendo refuses to have Melee streamed. Can we PLEASE get dedicated players with recording equipment get every match in at least top 16? This is the greatest and biggest Melee tournament by far in history and it would be a huge loss if we don't record that footage. In the absolute worst case, can everyone record matches with their phones or cameras? PB&J?
Seriously this. As they're not gonna budge any other way (and yeah I sent them a tactful email). Even if I said to them "I will give you $20,000 to let us stream a game you don't want to be associated with" they'd still turn it down, too hardcore. Plus they refuse to listen to people who want to treat games as competitive.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I sent a message to Nintendo. It probably isn't the best one since I'm sure I don't know everything I need to know about the situation, but I guess it's better than nothing. Maybe someone could revise and improve upon it?

Here is a copy of it if anyone else wishes to send a message and not have to write it.
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform/

Hello, I have came across the information that Nintendo wishes for the game Super Smash Bros. Melee (SSBM) to not be broadcast live from the upcoming major tournament, Evo. Evo is the largest fighting game tournament on Earth, and attracts hundreds of thousands of people's attention. I am not sure what Nintendo's reasoning behind this decision is (profit, public relations, etc), but I feel that it is not the right choice for the company to make. By making this choice, Nintendo is essentially throwing away free advertisement to hundreds of thousands of viewers. This advertisement could be very profitable, considering that another Smash game is currently in development, making many people eager to purchase a Wii U and try out the new game, as well as others since they will then have the new system. I would also like to mention that many people put forth a lot of effort to see SSBM at Evo. In order for SSBM to be a part of Evo, a competitive donation drive for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation was held, and the community involved raised a total of approximately $96,000 USD. That fact alone is an impressive statement about how much people love the games Nintendo makes, and how much those same Nintendo fans are willing to help out for a good cause. I believe those facts are only able to improve Nintendo's public perception, and will only serve to benefit the company. For these reasons I formally request that Nintendo allow for SSBM to be broadcast live from Evo, and that game-play recordings from Evo may be uploaded to video outlets such as Youtube.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Well, guess that means I'll be pirating instead of buying every nintendo product in the future. Nice one.
Good luck with that, gateway 3ds is **** and there aren't any emulators for the 3ds either.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Yo can we get the smash scene out in storm on this? Even if Nintendo is fcking us over harder then anything I've ever heard of in my life, can we record every single pool and tournament match. Stream nothing. Upload it all to youtube later.

V-K

Smash Ace
What about Apex? They didn't care about the stream there right? I don't get it.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Yo can we get the smash scene out in storm on this? Even if Nintendo is ***ing us over harder then anything I've ever heard of in my life, can we record every single pool and tournament match. Stream nothing. Upload it all to youtube later.
THIS, please. Everyone bring your cameras and your capture cards. Even if we don't get a stream we CANNOT lose all these matches.

Metà

Smash Master
I will have my laptop, and will record every match that I can. That being said, it won't be the greatest quality, but it's something. I would encourage everyone who can to do the same.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
If you're going to petition and/or e-mail Nintendo to allow us to stream Melee on Evo, don't be so harsh in your remarks to them. If we got everybody in the Smash community to support, then maybe we have a slight chance of convincing them out of it, but we can do it without threatening them with the piracy of future Nintendo installments AND not purchasing our copy of Smash 4.

Seriously... Who would Nintendo rather listen to? Barbarians or intelligent petitioners?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
THIS, please. Everyone bring your cameras and your capture cards. Even if we don't get a stream we CANNOT lose all these matches.
Won't you all get kicked out by doing that? And cause lots of problems for the EVO staff?

BTW there are occasions where ******** DOES get you somewhere. Just look at what happened with Mass Effect 3 when people first saw how bad the ending was.

Tags

Smash Cadet
I will have my laptop, and will record every match that I can. That being said, it won't be the greatest quality, but it's something. I would encourage everyone who can to do the same.
Dude read the post again. You'll get kicked out immediately if you're caught.

Piisuke

Smash Ace
I hadn't logged on in years, but the flood of articles on FB forced me to do so. The one game I was most excited about was to see SSBM back at Evo.... Thanks Ninty. You made me realise why you've been terrible ever since your ego got too big after the days of the SNES. Arrogance beyond reality.

Can we sue Nintendo? The only reason SSBM got on Evo is because the community donated $90k+ to Breast Cancer Research. Now Nintendo is blocking that, so we should claim our money back. There's probably a legal reason we cannot, seeing as it's their IP, but it could be looked into if we have anybody who's into the legal side of things.

Well, one thing we all can agree will happen - If Ninty sticks to their guns and ruins a weekend for hundreds of thousands of people, the sales of their next Smash game will be low and I would certainly recommend to make a stand.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Do not buy a single Nintendo product ever again if they don't fix this. That's the only way things like this can change.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
It looks like the FGC is on our side on the matter, which is good! It's like the big brother telling the bully that only he gets to make fun of his younger bro, lol.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Do not buy a single Nintendo product ever again if they don't fix this. That's the only way things like this can change.
Competitive smash isn't big enough for that to make a difference, and they did the same with MLG so it's not unexpected. Plus not buying something doesn't have any affect at all, they won't know why you aren't buying things.

Super

Smash Apprentice
Everyone mobilize, both in email complaints and public twitter/fb/reddit campaigns. Seriously though what were they thinking?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Ill be the 2000000000000 person to say this......

This "no smash stream at evo" is not surprising and expected. MLG/EVO did this with brawl and melee because of Nintendo. So many new gens freaking out LMAO

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I'm not defending this, but isn't this Nintendo of America's doings? Not Nintendo of Europe or Japan? Because boycotting the fourth Smash game is just ridiculous.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
...Ya know, it's times like these where Nintendo REALLY confuses me. -.o'

ZIngaZ

Smash Cadet
Started a petition because I saw multiple people suggest it. If someone could hit me up with a email of someone that matters within the company that would be great!

Link:

looks like comatose beat me to it

EVH

Smash Cadet
I'm not defending this, but isn't this Nintendo of America's doings? Not Nintendo of Europe or Japan? Because boycotting the fourth Smash game is just ridiculous.

They are one in the same I think. But the tweets are going at Nintendo of America fortunately.

Deadgye

Smash Rookie
I told them I'm canceling my pre-orders. On the eve of releasing a new smash brothers game, they thought it was a good idea to do this to the smash brothers community. Are they crazy?

Nintendo - You Suck OK?

Banned via Warnings
If you're going to petition and/or e-mail Nintendo to allow us to stream Melee on Evo, don't be so harsh in your remarks to them. If we got everybody in the Smash community to support, then maybe we have a slight chance of convincing them out of it, but we can do it without threatening them with the piracy of future Nintendo installments AND not purchasing our copy of Smash 4.

Seriously... Who would Nintendo rather listen to? Barbarians or intelligent petitioners?
I sent a polite email (and ranted on here) but seriously, people are going to send aggressive and pugnacious emails whether we like it or not. So we can stress that as much as possible, but some people will just flame the **** out of them regardless. It may not help and granted Nintendo probably don't have the brains to figure out that it's a minority.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Well that settles it.

NoA encourages stupid, unnecessary, and downright counter productive decisions. I need to lie down.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ponder if you guys don't stand up to nintendo, We will most likely never have this chance again.

Do you really feel threatened by nintendos legal threats?

Think about this, do you really think nintendo will SUE their fan base? If they do it would deal a catastrophic blow to everything they are. Their image would be tarnished FOREVER.

Image if they do in fact take some legal recourse, you have MILLIONS of fans and people who hear about this and would back you up on this.

Change the world ponder, tell all giant corporations that they don't own the content once the consumer buys it. Its our game.

Top Bottom