• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

Gannonspetmoblin

Smash Apprentice
Your tech skill is actually decent. Just remember that greater tech skill increases your punish game and gives you more opportunities to react to your opponent. Best way to practice tech is to just fight a level 1 Fox with infinite time on FD or Yoshi's Story. After a few weeks you will be able to execute frame perfect SHFFLs and space your moves to pixels.

Biggest things for you to work on: spacing. I remember a quote from one of PPMD's matches - a commentator pointed out that PP gets the best combos that are possible, but also he spaces them in such a way that his opponent is unable to punish him even if he can't continue the combo in some instances.

You continually do aerials into your opponent without regard for his positioning relative to you. If you have a hitbox that is close enough to hit your opponent, there's no reason for you to continue moving toward him. That just puts you in jeopardy needlessly. With a character like Marth, whose strongest moves are at the point of his sword, this applies exponentially more. I understand that some of this takes experience to master - but you should also think more about frame advantage; it'll help your spacing. Know when your opponent can act first, when the hitstun on moves ends, when tech rolls' invincible and vulnerable frames end, etc. Also, try to understand the range on moves; not just their immediate range, but also their range with movement, jumping, wavedashing, and so forth. For example, Falco's short hop dair. Many times you will want to position yourself relative to where that hitbox will be (because lasers can limit your ability to stuff the move). Other times you will want to anticipate moves and counter hit them using frame advantage.

If any of this doesn't make sense, please let me know.
This all made sense, thanks for the feedback! Kind of embarrassing when your biggest flaw as Marth is your spacing though, haha! I used to be much better about this, but recently (and perhaps it's been because I've been learning spacies), I've been more concerned about being fast and rushing my opponent, which of course is not Marth's strong suit. My Marth has suffered for it, and I've been trying to find the cause in all the small things in my game, when really it's the bigger picture that was flawed. Thanks for setting me back on the straight and narrow!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
No problem. Remember, it's important to approach and pressure your opponent. But you don't want to over-commit with things like SHFFL nair or dash attack. Running d-tilt is pretty safe - or run forward and do a RETREATING short hop fair. Even something like wavedash approaching incrementally toward your opponent and simply dash dancing near them can put a lot of pressure on them (and you don't even have to commit to any vulnerable attacks!).

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Hey gang, got a couple videos from a few months ago, but I haven't played since so it's a good starting point. Would love to get ripped apart some! Any insight on the proper mindset when playing these MUs would be greatly appreciated; I get a bit too one dimensional sometimes.

Tech skill is garbage but I'll be working on that to get crispy again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErJwHgbJXXY vs Falco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncGV7y4U7Jk vs Marth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYl9LxGcPP0 vs Sheik

Cheers :)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Hey gang, got a couple videos from a few months ago, but I haven't played since so it's a good starting point. Would love to get ripped apart some! Any insight on the proper mindset when playing these MUs would be greatly appreciated; I get a bit too one dimensional sometimes.

Tech skill is garbage but I'll be working on that to get crispy again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErJwHgbJXXY vs Falco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncGV7y4U7Jk vs Marth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYl9LxGcPP0 vs Sheik

Cheers :)
Those videos are from August 2014. Have you just not played since then?

I will assume that you have improved since these games were played, but since I have nothing better to evaluate your skill, I'll just point out some things I noticed from your play back then. I only watched your set vs Marth because I think that matchup is the best demonstration of skill with the character.

1. Too much jumping in neutral: You want to avoid jumping in neutral if you can. In the ditto, depending on your aerial choice, you can get f-smashed on reaction (and I think regardless of your aerial, f-tilt on reaction will stuff you). Of course, there is the issue that you can simply get grabbed when you land from a SHFFL. Dash dance grab is the focus of this matchup, and a short hop approach is one of the easiest things visually to react to (much more so than grounded moves like dash attack).

And that leads me to my next point:

2. You need to dash dance A LOT more. I almost exclusively saw you short hopping in neutral, and occasionally wavedashing. Where is the dash dance, man? Wavedashing is amazing, of course, with Marth, but you can't expect to win neutral with only jumping and wavedashing. Dash dance allows you to land grabs and put hitboxes in places that would otherwise be impossible, because dashes are not only more precise but allow you to activate grab a lot sooner (and you can jump/shield out of a dash instantly, and crouch out of a dash nearly immediately). Approaching with d-tilt is very safe and allows you to control a part of the stage with very low risk, and you can immediately wavedash back out of d-tilt or dash dance forward by cancelling the end of it with the IASA frames.

3. You need to think more about stage positioning. I saw a number of times (specifically on Battlefield in the Marth ditto) when you were on a platform and attempted to jump/double jump away or just shielded. Obviously, being on a platform with the opponent under you is a bad position to be in. However, you don't necessarily improve it by jumping up higher. Fox/Falco/Falcon are fast enough that they can jump out of awkward positions with relatively low risk. Marth, on the other hand, moves much slower through the air vertically. Therefore, jumping high is a big commitment with a high risk associated with it. Whenever you are on a platform (as a general rule) you should try to get back to the ground as soon as possible. Sometimes you are forced to shield an aerial from below based on your frame disadvantage, but your next goal after the shield should be "get down". Wavedashing out of shield and fast falling off the platform serves this end very well.

Limeee

Smash Champion
i am a new marth (quit playing fox because of hands) and i would like some critique before i go to apex
videos are good quality but my marth needs some work ^^

http://www.twitch.tv/anjosmash/b/614269767
i am p3 and i play on from 2:12:00 ish

thanks in advance :)

EDIT: i am very bad at utilizing crouch cancelling and i could use some advice on that ^^

Last edited:

Sempai

Smash Ace
ref code: jt97

I'm new to marth and it seems like I have decent tech skill but I'm just bad at making decisions and knowing how to approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBEX3gWOf4k&feature=youtu.be

(I'm black marth)
You constantly throw out a move and then just stand there. Keep moving or attacking, dont stop doing either.

Work on your spacing, dont dtilt his sheild when hes on top of u.

In terms of approaching, dont just jump at him. Dash dance around dtliting and looking for grabs. CCing is great in this matchup.

Also dont use usmash, dsmash and dont end ur combo strings with ftilt, as marth theres always a better move to finish with. Remember, if you dont know where to combo, combo up.

AirFair

Marth tho
ref code: jt97

I'm new to marth and it seems like I have decent tech skill but I'm just bad at making decisions and knowing how to approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBEX3gWOf4k&feature=youtu.be

(I'm black marth)
You have a good grasp of basic movement and attacks, but no good marth is complete without proper understanding of the two. I've been told that when you play, you need to look at the game in two different parts. The Neutral, and the Punish. Pros can split into subcategories in these two, but at least take note of it when you play.

First, just work on moving around the stage. As said above, you should be dashdancing and dtilting/grabbing. Marth vs Marth is simple actually. Once you get a grab, just fthrow at low % to the edge, and you can get a good fsmash (from like 0-20%).
Just get the grab first and know your followups.

A general thing to keep in mind is that you do NOT want to stay still if you are not edgeguarding. Be open to different options you can take. In any case as Marth, don't go up to the top platform unless it's an escape (spacie lasers) or for a combo (uair/utilt string)
Marth's ground game is ridiculously strong, with his grabs, dashdance, and disjointed hitbox/tipper. Make good use of it.

AirFair

Marth tho
This is just a bunch of friendlies between a friend and I. What are some obvious flaws in the Marth's play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kv4ZuD_fic
Two things I noticed in the first parts of the video

1. Don't Fsmash so much. PLEASE. You fsmash after literally every grab or movement (slight exaggeration) and it's just opening yourself up for getting comboed.

2. Your Neutral. While an aggressive Marth may do the trick on lower level spacies, any player worth their shines will be able to take advantage of you going in and throwing moves out haphazardly. I didn't really see you dashdancing enough. Marth's strong point comes in from his wicked punishes off throws, since he has so many options with such a long sword.

3. Stay calm when edgeguarding. At one point you go to edgeguard with a fair, and just fastfall to your death as you let falco recover.
If you are waiting for a spacie to recover, you have some different options depending on where they are coming from.

(Assuming they are going for ledge)

SIDE/ABOVE
dtilt
fsmash
grab ledge (wd back/sh, and then you can ledgehop bair to swipe them away)
neutral b

BELOW:
dtilt
grab ledge ( or grab ledge => ledgehop dair if closer to stage )
fsmash ( depends on angle, it wont hit if they don't go a little past the edge with the hurtbox, so use wisely)
dair
counter (good followup is to jump in and then reverse upB back to stage, it's a move that M2k will use a lot, and PP used on Armada at Apex set 2)

Might have missed a few. High recoveries can be punished differently depending on stage. Usually if they land on a platform you can tipper them from below, or out of the air for style. You can also jump up and dair if they are not above stage yet. Fair works pretty well too to get back to edgeguarding.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Hey, Check these 2 marth dittos out. I lost the second one, but I just want some tips on how I played. Two things I was told was just to use Fsmash wisely, and fastfall grab the ledge, which I learned how to do. Other than that, take a look. It's not very good quality tho lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Dt4OeFDsM
One big thing that I noticed watching these two games was that you keep doing something that KirbyKaze would call "flailing". That is, you throw out a lot of moves in the opponent's general direction and hope that they run into them. It didn't hurt you two much in these specific matches, but you will be very easy to punish for some opponents. One strategy that can counter yours is to simply wait for one of your moves to miss and then punish you afterward. Also, if you swing your sword, your opponent can potentially shield the attack and punish out of shield.

Try not to over-rely on attacks. Make sure that you're shielding in those times when you have frame disadvantage or are cornered, so that you don't get caught by a big hit. Use movement more so than wayward attacks!

AirFair

Marth tho
One big thing that I noticed watching these two games was that you keep doing something that KirbyKaze would call "flailing". That is, you throw out a lot of moves in the opponent's general direction and hope that they run into them. It didn't hurt you two much in these specific matches, but you will be very easy to punish for some opponents. One strategy that can counter yours is to simply wait for one of your moves to miss and then punish you afterward. Also, if you swing your sword, your opponent can potentially shield the attack and punish out of shield.

Try not to over-rely on attacks. Make sure that you're shielding in those times when you have frame disadvantage or are cornered, so that you don't get caught by a big hit. Use movement more so than wayward attacks!
Right! I've been learning to rely more on movement since watching PP at Apex. Much appreciated.

Wave Dan Landon

It's simple; we gimp the fox
Hello, I'm new and I haven't been playing melee long, just two months

I started competitive smash with PM but I'm really starting to get into melee.

I've decided to main marth and I made it to finals in my local, problem is I barely beat a falco to get into finals and then lost to a falco in finals.

I have a really hard time against falco, the lasers throw me way off my game.

I feel that this is the most important matchup for me to learn thoroughly given how many good birds there are in my area.

LOSERS FINALS
2:31 Match 1 (Loss) FoD
6:32 Match 2 (Win) Pokemon Stadium
12:57 Match 3 (3-stock Win) Battlefield
15:54 Match 4 (Win) Yoshi's Story

FINALS
0:41 Match 1 (Loss) Battlefield
5:14 Match 2 (Loss) FD
9:54 Match 3 (Win) Pokemon Stadium
13:14 Match 4 (Loss) FD

eager to learn like spongebob

Meru

Smash Cadet
Hello, I'm new and I haven't been playing melee long, just two months

I started competitive smash with PM but I'm really starting to get into melee.

I've decided to main marth and I made it to finals in my local, problem is I barely beat a falco to get into finals and then lost to a falco in finals.

I have a really hard time against falco, the lasers throw me way off my game.

I feel that this is the most important matchup for me to learn thoroughly given how many good birds there are in my area.

LOSERS FINALS
2:31 Match 1 (Loss) FoD
6:32 Match 2 (Win) Pokemon Stadium
12:57 Match 3 (3-stock Win) Battlefield
15:54 Match 4 (Win) Yoshi's Story

FINALS
0:41 Match 1 (Loss) Battlefield
5:14 Match 2 (Loss) FD
9:54 Match 3 (Win) Pokemon Stadium
13:14 Match 4 (Loss) FD

eager to learn like spongebob
I only watched a little bit, but from what I see:
The Falcos were able to laser and laser and laser -> followup. No punish, no end to the lasers. What I saw you do was very similar to what I see a lot of brawl players do in the face of shield pressure - nothing. (sorry if this sounds harsh). The Falcos you're against seem to have a working assumption that SHL will get them a followup. We need to change this. How? by punishing.

So, how to punish lasers (good, and bad ones): there are a few ways.
1) Powershield. Yeah, not that easy. But valuable. and if you're having trouble, you can also try the Z Powershield. Explained here by Kadano: http://smashboards.com/threads/official-ask-anyone-frame-things-thread.313889/page-17#post-18512581
Remember, practice makes almost-perfect (at least better), so if you can, ask a friend to laser you, start off practice dash-back/crouch ->Powershield

2) Counter. Ken vs PC Chris? What I see in the falcos you're up against, is that laser approaches - or rather, laser -> grab/hit are inherently good. Not the case at all. They CAN be good. until their ass gets countered. Then they have to start thinking about when they can approach after lasers, baiting - this adds another layer to their game, making it more complicated than the one-track mindset that seems to work. It makes them do the PC Chris "Hot 'n Cold". Counter OoS is good - you can cancel your jump with a counter, so you're always on the ground. Pretty good tech to have - just practice it.

3) Shield Grab. Uhhh. This shouldn't really happen vs good lasers, but hey, everyone messes up. watch your replays again and ask yourself what punishes you could have done vs the lasers.

4) Up B OoS. Ill be honest, I don't think I've ever seen this. But it's about as fast as counter OoS, and is a great shoryuken. Blur also mentions using it vs low nairs in the same way (not really worth it unless you sweetspot them, or at least have a top platform to upb onto). This would be better served the higher percent they are - and because they would be laser - dash/jump in, chances are, NO DI.

5) Easily the most important. Just, good, spacing. keep that 1.5 - 0.5 laser lengths away from Falco. A Laser length, btw, is the distance falco can cover/move and then punish in. So, he's at about a laser length away from Character X, if he can running SHL towards X, and be right in front of X when he touches the ground (which would be just a couple frames after the laser hits).
Back to the point. 1.5 + Laser Length means falco can't punish you. If you're maintaining good coverage, he can't really gain too much positional advantage, and he certainly can't get a grab/hit on you. If you're at 0.5 laser length, it simply means, HE CAN'T LASER. This is huge. It shuts down a big option of his, and although marth may not have the most rapid moves, being "safely" (as in, not in hitstun, etc) 0.5 laser lengths away means you can also hit the Falco if he tries to laser. It gets rid of what is probably his most used option.

6) PPMD always says that take laser -> jab is a great option. Jab is really fast, and gets Falco off of you. I forget who it was, but somebody mentioned dash back -> take laser. Being hit turns you in that direction, so you can actually think of dash back -> take laser as the poor man's pivot jab. Re-position yourself just far enough away from a falco jab/grab, take laser, jab where the falco will land. A great option.

7) These are decent falcos. Obviously. So, they're not going to be blasting max height SHL's all day. But there are instances of high lasers, and you can punish these by dashing under -> dash attack, or dash under -> run cancel -> dtilt. This works because:
You react to a high laser by dash in.
a1) Falco initiates jump to start another SHL
b1) Marth initiates dash attack
c1) If close enough, dash attack hits falco.
I think that if you're close enough, then it doesn't even matter what height the second laser is - I think it might not even come out. This kind of interaction would be at about the 1-1.5 laser length distance. But what if he doesnt try another laser?
a2) Falco expects dash attack, dashes back right after high laser.
a3) Falco expects dash attack, shields right after high laser.
b2) you whiff dash attack, he does stuff that makes you unhappy about life
b2) you react accordingly by wavedash back/dash back, or run cancel -> dtilt (which can then go to dash back, if the situation calls for it) as a spacing coverage option.
b3) you react accordingly by grabbing or gaining a positional advantage on him by closing space.
c2) reset to neutral again.

SO what do we see? If you can't react in time, and he expects it, you get hit. if he doesn't react in time, he gets hit. And reacting so quickly isn't all that easy. Once you dash in, it's up to him to react quickly. It's easier for you to counter-react. Think of this interaction as a kind of - if he's lasering to high, then you have a kind of RPS versus him. But imagine an RPS where you have a slight advantage. Treat it as a pseudo - mixup.

As for dtilt, if you tipper dtilt him, then good. If you tipper dtilt a shield, then you closed some space. But it won't give you the same followups as the dash attack. Dash attack's risk factor depends on how much you do it against high lasers (aka predictability), so it can be high risk -> medium reward, or medium risk -> medium reward. Once again, this risk/reward factor of dash attack, is assuming you're making digital decisions and just saying: "high laser? DASH ATTACK". Because, as I was talking about in the flowchart, you can still react (though i'll admit, it's difficult to in most cases).
Dtilt is pretty universally low risk -> low reward (assuming it's well spaced). And if he's lasering near the edge, this kind of interaction (ending in dtilt) can end up making dtilt a low risk -> medium/high reward option, if it really corners him, or send him off the ledge, respectively.

8) jump over lasers, or use platforms to avoid. Not really that great, marth doesn't like being in the air in neutral (generally). especially vs Falco, who's so good at putting marth in the air. Nevertheless, an option, and if you catch them mindlessly lasering, then you can get in a fair or something of that nature.

Okay, that's pretty much what I can think of for vs lasers.
Other advice I can give (keep in mind I only watched a couple of games):

Gimps. Don't be afraid to kinda camp the side and cheese him. Or to dthrow -> turnaround dtilt (the M2K) to set up cornering and a good frametrap as a tech chase. If he approaches badly near the ledge, it can be the end of his life. Medium risk -> very high reward. Obviously (and I don't need to say this), you don't need to be at the ledge the whole time. Unless you wanna be PM Chudat. Please don't do that to anybody. Please.

You use a lot of Bairs. Not necessarily bad, but sometimes, an uair would have hit. I think that you should just combo CPU falcos for a while and experiment with fair/uair hitboxes so you have a better scope of followups. A lot of moves I see you do have combo potential, but you sometimes just do a small bat-away instead. Again, not necessarily bad, and may sometimes be the best option. But look out for that.

You use a lot of shieldbreaker. Well, not really a lot, but more than most people would think is good. Once I saw you just jump at a guy with it. Kinda weird. I guess if you can make it work, go head, but keep in mind the ending lag. Also, not always the best edgeguard. Speaking of which:

Sometimes the falcos would be in these weird kinda high positions that they're firebirding from. like, a falco full jump height just above the ledge. Something like that. For several of these situations, you started charging shieldbreaker, or a smash. This constrains options, and just tells him to not go where you're charging. It's better to keep it ambiguous as to where you'll place your hitboxes (so he can't easily avoid them), and to keep fluid movement, and keep your options open to punish him wherever. I didn't see some of the strongest edgeguards - I'm sure you know well how to, but try to come up with/develop/steal a good auto-pilot-style, flowchart edgeguarding system. It'll do you a lot of good.

Work on chaingrabs. I saw you drop them a few times. Maybe it's just cause it's tourney set and everyone plays worse during tourney (for all I know, you're '08 M2K with the chaingrabs in friendlies). Whatever the case, keep that in mind.
That's it for now. I think if you work on a more fluid movement game, and a more aggressive dash dance (by this, I mean a dash dance that threatens his space more while staying safe), then you'll have an easier time cornering falcos, and forcing them into making very digital decisions which you can punish. Good luck!

Wave Dan Landon

It's simple; we gimp the fox
Wow, thankyou

I was practicing last night against a falco player

He would SHL me, but I would never get the shield grab since he knew to start dair/shine pressure immediately after the laser

I started wavedashing OOS back immediately after the last laser before the dair/nair came out and I've been getting tons of shield grabs

I started practicing power shielding. If I can land 2 or 3 in a row, and I have been getting there, the falco stops spamming lasers for a bit. Very good advice.

Counter the lasers worked for a stock or two but my opponent is smart. He would tomahawk laser and punish.

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
Okay Marthboys, help me out. I feel like I have a solid combo game. And when I watch myself back I'm shouting at myself that I should have grabbed a LOT more than I do.
I feel like I make a LOT of small, but VERY important screwups.
Also, it's netplay. So when it lags, I already know that I do stupid panic things. I need to work on that.
Lastly, I think my DI sucks. Am I right, or is that just Falcon's everything->everything->Knee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LddXLAKhtbw

Thanks!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Okay Marthboys, help me out. I feel like I have a solid combo game. And when I watch myself back I'm shouting at myself that I should have grabbed a LOT more than I do.
I feel like I make a LOT of small, but VERY important screwups.
Also, it's netplay. So when it lags, I already know that I do stupid panic things. I need to work on that.
Lastly, I think my DI sucks. Am I right, or is that just Falcon's everything->everything->Knee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LddXLAKhtbw

Thanks!
You have fundamental tech skill down which is great. Specifically I noticed three recurring problems:

1. You were staying in shield too long oftentimes. Falcon was full jump/double jump fast falling knees on your shield and you opted to stay in shield. Then you would try to shield grab. Just so you know, knee of your shield usually can't be shield grabbed. In general, you don't want to be shield grabbing aerials. The only things I would even attempt to shield grab are jabs on your shield or a raptor boost to the front of your shield.

2. Rolling out of pressure. Nothing wrong with rolling to establish a better position on stage. But by doing so you missed a lot of opportunities to punish Falcon as he was landing. Instead, you could have dash dance grabbed Falcon on reaction or even wavedashed out of shield and looked for counterplay.

3. Stationary down tilts. Down tilt can be interrupted at frame 20. This allows you to use it as a poke to provoke a response and then punish the following attack or movement option. Unfortunately, you actually locked yourself down in the d-tilt a lot by not cancelling the end frames of the move. You would also just d-tilt -> d-tilt or d-tilt -> f-smash a lot regardless of whether it was a good option in the situation. Try using d-tilt to scout out your opponent. If he jumps, take the opportunity to dash dance or wavedash out of your down tilt to create openings on the opponent in the air or returning to the ground.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvQFTBCdfh4
I've shared this in the Falcon video thread, but I also went Marth game 2. Not much to go on, but if anyone has comments, I'd love to hear.
Game 2 ... You neglected the two best options that Marth has in Sheik matchup: dash dance grab and spaced down-tilt.

If you abuse those assets, you will do much better. Also, you seem to not watch your opponent enough because you got hit by 2-3 full quivers of needles in that one game. Try to avoid looking at your character model and focus on the opponent, because they are the factor that you can't control.

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvQFTBCdfh4
I've shared this in the Falcon video thread, but I also went Marth game 2. Not much to go on, but if anyone has comments, I'd love to hear.
I'm not godlike, but I think I'm good at marth-shiek. In addition to what was said, you should try to juggle sheik. Uthrow utilt or uair and just keep her up there as long as you can to build %. If you let sheik control the ground, you're gonna have to be a considerably better player to win the matchup IMO. Also, when edgeguarding sheik, immediately grab ledge. If she's in range to get back, roll up just as or even just before her up b starts. Make her take the gamble of going to the ledge when she isn't sure if you'll be at it or not. If she doesn't go for it, you'll be in a good spot to fsmash the lag.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Also, you seem to not watch your opponent enough because you got hit by 2-3 full quivers of needles in that one game. Try to avoid looking at your character model and focus on the opponent, because they are the factor that you can't control.
Thanks. At some point while trying to figure out why I suck so much, I found something that said to try to watch your opp to keep from autopiloting, so I've practiced that. I know a big problem I have is associating appropriate responses with my observations. In that match, I remember I kept recognizing that I should do something about the needles, but couldn't think of anything (nerves).
Also, this was the first time I'd ever faced a Sheik and not tried ditto'ing them. I'll take your suggestions and make a gameplan for next time.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqDeaIuViH8
Any advice on how to improve my movement?
You could also practice shield dropping, pivot grabbing/f-smashing, no-impact landing on platforms/stage, dash dancing in conjunction with wavedash control, spacing tipped and non-tipped aerials and tilts out of movement, edge cancelling aerials, sweet spotting your up-b recovery on different ledges, double jumping to waveland after short hop or full hop auto cancelled fairs, buffering the A button during various animations to give you the "light powershield" option as frequently as possible. That should be enough to keep you busy for a while. :)

Last edited:

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZzuBMUBvO8
I have another match where I went Marth game 2.

I messed up the counterpicking and forgot to ask if he was gonna switch chars, and then started off with 2 back to back SD's, so I wasn't in the best mindset for most of game 2. I've noticed that when I get flustered, I end up doing random run turnarounds, lots of non-Lcanceled Dairs, aerials facing the wrong way, randy Fsmashes, and failed ledgedashes.

I did take ChivalRuse's advice for dealing with needles. I've also fixed how I used to wait for ppl to finish charging their smashes before punishing, letting them shield in time.

What is the deal with that regrab from Sheik? I tried all sorts of DI but it was so disheartening. I know I have a habit of trying to wavedash back when I get out of a grab series only to get regrabbed during the 10 frames landing lag.

I noticed a point where I got hit by Sheik's vanish explosion b/c I Dtilted and tried to use the IASA with a shield, which is impossible.

I spotdodge alot b/c I'm used to lightpress wavedashing in PM, and I feel really weird sometimes in melee.
Biased commentators lol.

Last edited:

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Finally got a decent match recorded (sorry about the twitch archive).

http://www.twitch.tv/bill_king_/b/627071919

It's a three game set starting at 2:04:15, I 'm the red Marth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since the Marth ditto is one of my weaker matchups. (And for the record, I know I got way too F-smash happy in game 3, I got a bit overconfident with my lead.)

Top Bottom