• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Any advice on my Marf would be greatly appreciated.

http://youtu.be/2KMPWeM6JxI
Your punish game is okay. Your biggest weaknesses seem to be recovery and returning to the stage from the ledge. You got grabbed a lot for doing ledgehopped aerials. Try to mix up your edge-to-stage options. Occasionally wavelanding -> dash dance in the center of the stage. Wavelanding in place on the very brink of the edge. Ledgehop -> air dodge. Regular get up is sometimes solid.

You got shined a lot for burning your double jump unwisely. When put off stage, try to gauge your opponent's positioning and assess their best angles for edgeguarding you. Then formulate the safest possible angles for recovery. Sometimes your opponent will jump completely offstage and go for a shinespike, and you can usually counter this by letting yourself drop down below the stage and hitting them with your up-b.

In neutral you had a few well spaced dash dances, netting you grabs. You got hit or grabbed in neutral a lot for spacing moves poorly (bad down tilts, u-tilts, etc.). Remember to use the IASA frames of moves like dash attack, utilt, dtilt to your advantage. If you whiff a down tilt, you can usually dash dance away to safety in the IASA frames or wavedash back to cancel the end of the move.

That Fox seemed to have a better read on you than you did on him. If you want to beat the player, you need to pay attention to their tendencies. Try to "download" their playstyle and find weaknesses in their movement options or attack choices. Try to space your moves more safely. When you do aerials, make sure that they are aiming to hit with the tip. And if they whiff, make sure that you move or shield to avoid any potential punishes.

Finally got a decent match recorded (sorry about the twitch archive).

http://www.twitch.tv/bill_king_/b/627071919

It's a three game set starting at 2:04:15, I 'm the red Marth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since the Marth ditto is one of my weaker matchups. (And for the record, I know I got way too F-smash happy in game 3, I got a bit overconfident with my lead.)
Too many random f-smashes in general. You kept doing f-smash when your opponent was in the air coming down. I counted about 10, and I don't remember any of them hitting. Instead of panicking and throwing out your strongest move with the most cooldown in this situation, try to cover multiple landing options. You could instead dash under your opponent and shuffle an uair. If he avoids it, you can probably still dash away and grab him when he lands later.

Overall, your Marth seems a little bit too obvious. You throw out a lot of predictable dash attacks in neutral and a lot of f-smashes when your opponent is at high percents. Try to use dash dancing as a central theme to the matchup. Look for openings to come in with grab (to punish your opponent's own whiffs). Or if you have nothing better to do, establish stage control by moving to the middle of the field. Avoid "flailing" if possible (that is, just throwing out aerials or attacks at every possible moment). Try to judge your opponent's character's hitboxes and weigh their options against reasonable attack patterns that you have and determine when the right time is to attack.

Remember that Marth dittos are more about grabs than about smash attacks or aerials.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-hdHlG8H1s

Testing recording stuff, vs CPU
I know this isn't how the matchup is played, I was just mindlessly wailing on him is all.

ref code: 1sde
I found this the other day where m2k talks about how most of his training was against cpus, but what he would do is understand that the cpu will choose a bad option, but that in his head, m2k would understand what options a human would have, and that way he could practice option coverage. He also says that there is no need to train against high level cpus b/c they use inhuman options, but you can still practice covering human options against cpus like lvl 1-3.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
https://youtube.com/watch?v=-FaipWk0NT4

About a month ago. First melee tournament... Soon I should have something more recent but I play a lot different now. Was looking for insight on this. Sheik/marth. Im Haywood.
Yo, that's cool, I'm Haole, I was at that tourney (they announced my name during that vid). Juicebox is power ranked at WM, and he used to be a marth main, so he's probly real familiar with the MU.

At CatsMeow2, Papapaint was doing some commentary, and he said something about how if Marth does a randy Fsmash at low percents, even if it hits, you really only get percent, since it doesn't really launch and the knockdown still won't make it worth the risk if it wiffs. So yeah, less randy Fsmash and you need to JC grab more. All to just reduce your general lag (I think I noticed a couple of missed L-cancels too).
Edgeguarding sheik, grab ledge to force her to UpB on stage, and either roll immediately -> ground punish (tipper Fsmash if she goes onto the platform & it's the right height) OR stay on the ledge and punish with an aerial. I think you can also do normal getup if you need to.
A lot of times, there were critical points in the match where either you or he was gonna lose a stock, and you did something very fancy, and you ended up losing the stock. Sheik is considered 'gay' b/c so much of her play is really simple but really effective, so if you can finish the edgeguard simply (by just holding ledge and forcing her to suffer lag), you need to take that opportunity.
I think you could also utilize dash dance a little more. I've heard that PPMD says that Marth should almost never need his shield/rolling/spotdodge options b/c it would always be better to dash dance away to avoid a hit and then dash back to punish.
When someone is on the edge, try to restrain the urge to Fsmash hoping to catch them trying to approach. It's just not safe. You have the tools to cover their options.
Also, when covering platform techs with Uair, make sure to cover the whole platform with the Uair. And check out Kadano's perfect marth class if you haven't already.
Some positive stuff: really creative use of Ftilt. Also, you seem to have good mastery of most situations, it's just some of the critical ones where maybe nerves get to you or something. Also, nice tech chasing coverage with Dtilt -> pivot grab.
Rotten luck getting battlefielded that last stock.

Last edited:

onlyaaron17

Smash Cadet
NNID
onlyaaron17
Yo, that's cool, I'm Haole, I was at that tourney (they announced my name during that vid). Juicebox is power ranked at WM, and he used to be a marth main, so he's probly real familiar with the MU.

At CatsMeow2, Papapaint was doing some commentary, and he said something about how if Marth does a randy Fsmash at low percents, even if it hits, you really only get percent, since it doesn't really launch and the knockdown still won't make it worth the risk if it wiffs. So yeah, less randy Fsmash and you need to JC grab more. All to just reduce your general lag (I think I noticed a couple of missed L-cancels too).
Edgeguarding sheik, grab ledge to force her to UpB on stage, and either roll immediately -> ground punish (tipper Fsmash if she goes onto the platform & it's the right height) OR stay on the ledge and punish with an aerial. I think you can also do normal getup if you need to.
A lot of times, there were critical points in the match where either you or he was gonna lose a stock, and you did something very fancy, and you ended up losing the stock. Sheik is considered 'gay' b/c so much of her play is really simple but really effective, so if you can finish the edgeguard simply (by just holding ledge and forcing her to suffer lag), you need to take that opportunity.
I think you could also utilize dash dance a little more. I've heard that PPMD says that Marth should almost never need his shield/rolling/spotdodge options b/c it would always be better to dash dance away to avoid a hit and then dash back to punish.
When someone is on the edge, try to restrain the urge to Fsmash hoping to catch them trying to approach. It's just not safe. You have the tools to cover their options.
Also, when covering platform techs with Uair, make sure to cover the whole platform with the Uair. And check out Kadano's perfect marth class if you haven't already.
Some positive stuff: really creative use of Ftilt. Also, you seem to have good mastery of most situations, it's just some of the critical ones where maybe nerves get to you or something. Also, nice tech chasing coverage with Dtilt -> pivot grab.
Rotten luck getting battlefielded that last stock.
Yeah man no johns but I never had any difficulty with nerves involving smash tournaments in other games but here it was like I only got to practice sheik mu vs one guy for a couple hours and a friend 30 minutes before the tournament because its the one that worries me the most. I have a lot of fox/falco any marth ditto practice. And like nerves were so bad i couldnt even dash dance properly lol when i dash danced i did it super fast and not naturally using marths movement to do things and ended up replacing it with sub par habits like rolling/shield/ dodging. And it was like first match im being streamed, oh look its a sheik main XD. I am decent at reading what a person is going to do and pick up habits really quick but by the time i even got a chance to be less ancy set was already over.
On the other hand the only reason I did fsmash so many times is because i havent learned of the attributes of how to use dolphin slash since it has more knockback after sheik lands with end lag and i whiffed a grab I think twice to repeat the edge guard. The one time i charged an fsmash when the guy laid down on the ground was a perfect example of me catching on quick, however i spaced it pretty bad lol.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If you want to beat Sheik, crouch cancel a lot, but also move a lot. React to movements. Throw Sheik in the air and trap her. Grab ledge to force her to recover on stage and try to get optimal punishes on her poof landing. D-tilt is amazing against her. D-tilt to grab works consistently at lowish percents depending on if they crouch cancel it.

Ben Zed

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BENZ#0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dx0CEncDeFU

The two matches I really want help with start around 5 minutes into the set. I have a lot of trouble against Sheik. And in essence I kind of know why; I don't control the ground well enough, I full hop a bit too much, movement out of shield isn't great, etc. All of these are things that I'm working on improving/eliminating, but I'm still not sure how to address the underlying issue.

...That is, I don't really know how to deal with sheik's needles. If someone can watch these matches and can see what I'm talking about, I really need some tools to deal with and possibly punish sheik for using needles, because as of right now, I'm not even confident enough in my "game plan" to really stick with it or make any important decisions in game, which in itself is a huge problem for me.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can criticique these.

Last edited:

Genosha

Smash Rookie
Hi 1st post here.. Ive always played smash when i was younger but ive only started to get into competetive play recently(roughly 4 weeks). I managed to get a video of me playing someone else at a local smashfest and am looking for some feedback, i am playing the black marth. Thx in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im4mtrzli6M

Last edited:

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Hi 1st post here.. Ive always played smash when i was younger but ive only started to get into competetive play recently(roughly 4 weeks). I managed to get a video of me playing someone else at a local smashfest and am looking for some feedback, i am playing the black marth. Thx in advance!

Welcome to Smashboards and Smash Bros. :D

Looking at Game 1:
Right away you wavedashed back to the ledge, which gives you a terrible disadvantage. Your best bet is dropping off the platform, but really you started from horrible spot and should opt for a neutral start to prevent him that king of beginning.
Your first death came from not sweetspotting the ledge with your double jump, so you were vunerable to the fsmash. Learn and remember to be lower.
On your second death you held down which made you not grab the ledge. Practice spacing your Dolphin Slash correctly.
1:08 good tech chase, but practice using your dashdancing to react to his rolls because the one you dropped could have continued that way.
1:44 again you retreated to the ledge instead of attempting to avoid him onstage. More comfort with getting out (and quickly) will get you confident enough to not disadvantage yourself in this way.
2:38 A forward smash would have likely killed here.
2:44 This charged fsmash was you taking an unnecessary chance, and you got punished for it. You had the advantage and should position yourself to react to his decisions insteading of guessing.
2:56 Wavedash back forward smash, lol nice.
2:59 Already mentioned why this retreat is bad. Keep in mind you can take the ledge in an attempt to trick your opponent (think M2K v. Shiz), but even if that was your plan it most likely isn't your best option.
3:03 If you aren't absolutely sure he will swing, and he does not have to, don't get up with a Counter. This is another gamble that can get you destroyed (he could quickly grab -> fthrow, and even if you DI'd perfectly you'd just be offstage...), but he reacted poorly.

Not bad at all for a newcomer. Nice tech chasing, decent concept of edge guards and juggling. You did tend to roll too often, which you should reserve for dire situations or tricks. Wavedashing, especially out of shield would be more helpful for getting around. You're vulnerable for the first 10 frames of sliding, but you're more vulnerable against a player that will just react to your rolls. Worse, they could bait you until rolling and ready with a severe punish.
Practice learning how Marth works and gets around. Get comfortable with how to move with him so you can control get around more fluidly, quickly, and safer. Also, notice how often the opponent chained forward airs against you. Practice using your combos/followups to get the opponent offstage. Again, I think you're doing fine so far.

Genosha

Smash Rookie
Thanks a bunch for the reply! I will keep on practicing and work on positioning to try and not go for the ledge all the time.
Hopefully i will have some more videos to share in a little while.

p.s. about the linked forward airs, do you mean i should take note of it and do it myself or do you mean i should have prevented them from hitting me?

Last edited:

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
The former, practice incorporating those into your punish game. But regarding prevention, that will come from learning how Fair works (various hitboxes, like how the tipper sends you up but the others send you out to the side) so you can DI away from them well.

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice

The guy above gave you some great tips, but here are just a few more from what I saw.

-Stop approaching with Nair. There are a plethora of reasons why you shouldn't, and really Nairs shouldn't be used for much else outside of combos and finishers. It's much better to approach with a SHFFL Fair.
-Another thing you could work on is grinding out that spacey chain grab. If you grab a spacey at such early percentages like you showed in the second match, you should get a good thirty percent in easy. Obviously it's a bit hard to practice as DI is a thing, but just something you could keep in mind.
-Grabbing in general. I saw you get a grab and upthrow, but not follow up with anything a couple times in the video. When you get a grab, try throwing a few uptilts followed by some SH Uairs. Try to juggle them as long as you can.
-Also, when edgeguarding, there are a couple stuff you might try. Edgehogging is a good and I think you did it once or twice in your video, but keep trying to get those reads. And don't be afraid to go off stage when that Falco tries to Up Special so high when recovering, or just doing it over the stage. A Fair or a Dair and that's a stock gone.
-DTilt is a great poke option, and when you do wish to approach, try Fair. Two things to keep in mind.

Just a few things you can try. I'm by no means a Marth expert, but dunno. Might help ya.

Genosha

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the reply, i am actually grinding out chaingrabs alot but i feel like practicing them on cpu's is conditioning me because of the predictable DI(no 20xx yet). About the upthrow follow ups, i know im supposed to juggle them but i tend to lose track of percents and then mess up my follow ups. Definetly looking to implement more d-tilts into my game, however ive heard approaching fairs are not that great..?
Thanks for looking at it!

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the reply, i am actually grinding out chaingrabs alot but i feel like practicing them on cpu's is conditioning me because of the predictable DI(no 20xx yet). About the upthrow follow ups, i know im supposed to juggle them but i tend to lose track of percents and then mess up my follow ups. Definetly looking to implement more d-tilts into my game, however ive heard approaching fairs are not that great..?
Thanks for looking at it!
Well in general you should be approaching very much at all. If you do want to approach however, your only option is to do it with an aerial; and Fair is the best aerial to do it with.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Well in general you should be approaching very much at all. If you do want to approach however, your only option is to do it with an aerial; and Fair is the best aerial to do it with.
Approaching can be done without actually attacking, like threatening space with your movement or pressuring the opponent into committing to an action that grants you an opening to punish them. But even with attacks, you can approach with grounded moves out of dash/run/wavedash etc., like wavedash into dtilt or ftilt.

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
Approaching can be done without actually attacking, like threatening space with your movement or pressuring the opponent into committing to an action that grants you an opening to punish them. But even with attacks, you can approach with grounded moves out of dash/run/wavedash etc., like wavedash into dtilt or ftilt.
It all varies on percentages. You're right when you say approaching doesn't have to be done with attacking. As for DTilt FTilt, those are more like pokes. You gain percentage off them, but there isn't any follow up or punishment after.

IC-Rambler

Smash Cadet
Hey I'm an ICs main with a Marth secondary (mainly for the Peach MU) and I was lucky enough to have some of my pools matches on stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/m/848103
This is one versus one of the best peaches in Houston.

http://www.twitch.tv/m/848089
I went Marth first game for the ditto (I'm blue), but I tried to counterpick my ICs on him second game. That didn't work out lol. I would just like critique for the first game in this one.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
My friend wants me to post this here to help his Marth along, please give him general tips, things that he is doing right, and things that he is doing wrong. I apologize in advance for the shoddy camera work.

1) https://youtu.be/6NvaGKzVMvw
2) https://youtu.be/lPjCVF7_vio
3) https://youtu.be/JAFG3zsbiLE

Thanks
Watch this video series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE

Once you have solid technical ability, it will be easier to help critique you and steer you in the right direction.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Hey people. I'm a semi-retired (had a baby) player kind of getting back into tournies. Please critique my set (3 games) with this falco. This was losers-semis maybe a month ago. My techskill was slightly off (not playing often does that to u) and I beat him at a tourney last week (went to game 3 last stock). But I would still like some outsider's opinions/thoughts on my marth.

This video is actually 3 different sets. My set starts at 20:35 and ends at 31:35. I'm white marth. Thanks!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HpnnB8_9wdI

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Hey people. I'm a semi-retired (had a baby) player kind of getting back into tournies. Please critique my set (3 games) with this falco. This was losers-semis maybe a month ago. My techskill was slightly off (not playing often does that to u) and I beat him at a tourney last week (went to game 3 last stock). But I would still like some outsider's opinions/thoughts on my marth.

This video is actually 3 different sets. My set starts at 20:35 and ends at 31:35. I'm white marth. Thanks!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HpnnB8_9wdI
Pretty close matchup. You could have won at the end but you missed your u-tilt -> dair. Heartbreaker.

Things to improve:

Stop exhausting your double jump when recovering. I noticed that you usually double jump immediately after getting hit off stage. BAD IDEA: you even got spiked on the last stock of game three because you double jump side-b'ed. Recovering high is bad, first of all, in most matchups. Second, when you use up your double jump so early, it limits your options and makes it easier for your opponent to edgeguard you. Instead of jumping right away, let yourself drift closer to the stage with side-b's and then use your double jump to trick your opponent into evacuating the ledge or making some kind of concession.

Don't dash dance without a purpose. I saw at least three or four time when you were close enough to threaten Falco and scare him from lasering: you dash danced away then you dash danced toward him again and got hit by moves. When you dash away using your initial dash, you should use that pause in Marth's momentum while he is pivoting to evaluate your opponent and see if you're well-placed to pivot grab, etc. Sometimes you may need to dash away again, sometimes you may see that you have an opportunity to punish a whiffed move. But it's hard to get hit by moves out of your dash dance unless you're not reacting well. Try to focus and react precisely. If this is not happening because of technical reasons, work on your control and spacing with the character.

Try not to spam u-tilt too much. There were a number of times when you popped up Falco with a combo starter like u-throw or dash attack and then immediately threw out an u-tilt without reacting to his DI and falling speed. This caused you to whiff and ultimately get punished or at best to lose your combo opportunity. Remember that when judging hitstun, especially on fast fallers, you have a lot of time to position yourself with the proper move. Don't feel like you have to throw out an attack and just hope that it connects, when comboing.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a ton for your input. It basically shows that I'm thinking correctly because u mentioned everything I noticed myself with the exception to spamming up tilt. Basically I wince every time I burn my double jump and am trying to correct that bad habit. I also noticed that good marths (mainly mango recently) don't "waste" movement like pointless dash dances. I also noticed at INY, PPU got punished every time he would pointlessly dash dance, mainly after getting a kill.

So I will work on:

- Recovery (have been doing a better job recently)

- Meaningful movement

- Judging space/DI to continue/finish combos with a kill

Thanks again

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Well, usually in order to punish somebody who is dashing around the stage to wait out your invincibility, you have to read them partially and also react a bit. PewPewU wasn't dash dancing in that case to bait out moves and punish; he would be moving around the stage to make it hard to predict where he would be and make himself harder to hit. PPMD and other non-M2K Marth players (because M2K just camps the ledge usually) do this too.

Xylq

Smash Rookie

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
@ Xylq Xylq

Stop doing short hop rising fairs toward your opponent. If you put out a hitbox that disappears quickly while moving forward, unless the move connects, you will be a sitting duck coming down. Better to do aerials in place and to cover your landing by doing them close to the ground.

Practice jump cancelling your grabs. You missed a ton of them.

Focus on your opponent's movements and try to optimize your reaction time to what he does. From the way you're playing, you either seem to not have the technical skill to be able to execute what you want, or you aren't observing your opponent properly.

Xylq

Smash Rookie
thank you. I'll see if i can make the adjustments and post another video in a few weeks

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dx0CEncDeFU

The two matches I really want help with start around 5 minutes into the set. I have a lot of trouble against Sheik. And in essence I kind of know why; I don't control the ground well enough, I full hop a bit too much, movement out of shield isn't great, etc. All of these are things that I'm working on improving/eliminating, but I'm still not sure how to address the underlying issue.

...That is, I don't really know how to deal with sheik's needles. If someone can watch these matches and can see what I'm talking about, I really need some tools to deal with and possibly punish sheik for using needles, because as of right now, I'm not even confident enough in my "game plan" to really stick with it or make any important decisions in game, which in itself is a huge problem for me.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can criticique these.
Your problem is mainly with movement, keeping center stage, and dealing with projectiles.
Movement: You sometimes randomly stop for little pockets of time for no reason. It is not wise as acting out of just stand takes longer than dash dancing. TIP: waveland on platforms for more options upon landing
Center stage: This was very apparent and easily your worst problem. You did not fight much for center stage and sometimes just stayed back as you got hit with projectiles. Against mario, you tried power shielding far too much where jumping is a much better option.
Projectiles: Marth has a hard time dealing with projectiles, so keeping pressure on your opponent is key. Make sure you keep them from landing their projectiles as best as you can, either by forcing shield, or just not letting them breathe. Hope I helped

Wafflesaurus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wafflesaurus
Ref Code: XY01

Here are 3 games. One against a Samus that is about my level but will give me trouble in bracket sometimes and the others are a player far beyond my skill level playing fox.

Vs Samus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgmXtLfvSSc&feature=youtu.be

Vs Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNDq-Nn8iVc&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p7cIW-V4AM&feature=youtu.be

Also anything that i could practice on my own would be great. Thanks
Last video:
You miss a lot of inputs or you do some bad decisions like at the beginning where you run under a platform and do a nair while facing away. I imagine this was a missed wavedash and a desperation nair. NOTE: You also did this at the beginning of the second stock so I'm not so sure anymore if it's a missed input or you're just praying for you opponent to jump at your nair
You recover high most of the time which fox covers really easily.
You also almost always do an aerial to cover your recovery. Remember this can easily be beaten by dash dancing, run up shield or crouch cancel.
Learn how to fast fall after a shine hits you to grab ledge, this is one of the most important things to know against fox
You do counters when you get stuck in the corner. Counter can work sometimes but I wouldn't really recommend it, you're better off just dash dancing in place and waiting for your opponent to commit to something. Sometimes you also do desperation rolls when getting comboed or tech chased. Roll can be good but be careful not to overuse it.
You miss some jump cancel grabs. It happens to everyone but you should go practice it in 20XX (I would recommend using the frame counter to check if you are doing them as soon as possible, which is not necessary to get a jump cancel grab but it's always good to be optimal).
After ledge dashing your stay in shield which your opponent notices and grabs you afterwards. Marth does not have such a good ledgedash compared to other characters (only 4 frames of invulnerability when done perfectly which is no easy task) but it is still safe. I would recommend you to sometimes regrab the ledge before going back on stage to see what your opponent is doing and to make sure you let go of the ledge as soon as possible. 20XX's frame counter can help you get a perfect or at least a good ledgedash.
You were using your double jump on stage a lot of the time without a purpose. Luckily the Fox wasn't punishing it that much but it still can be a really dangerous situation. (1:19, you double jump while facing away, probably after missing a wavedash or something similar).
Work on your combo DI, specially after up throw (DI behind Fox). Also it seems you don't know how to SDI the up air either (neither do I but if you can learn it you should).
Your dash dance needs more work. You're not really threatening your opponent with it a lot of the time nor using to conserve or gain space with it. At most you do like 2 dashes and then you start running somewhere, giving your opponent a major advantage afterwards. Your opponent didn't dash dance much either, he was mostly throwing out attacks at you which you could've easily beaten if your dash dance game was on point.
Finally, there were a couple of times when you were trying to press buttons for the sake of pressing buttons e.g. 1:26, double up tilt just hoping Fox jumps into it. 0:54 really late tech chase forward smash and the double down tilt at 0:04.

Sorry if that was too in depth analysis (although I could've gone even more lol)

TL;DR
Work on your dash dance. Always be threatening to your opponent but don't swing when you don't need to
Remember you are in control of your character even when getting comboed or when stuck in a corner. Don't default to rolling or countering. Work on DI.
Don't always recover high.
Practice your movement and combo game on 20XX and with other people.

Edit: First post lol

Last edited:

Xylq

Smash Rookie
Thank you. The more information the better. You, also gave me homework which is optimal. Nice post

Ben Zed

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BENZ#0
Your problem is mainly with movement, keeping center stage, and dealing with projectiles.
Movement: You sometimes randomly stop for little pockets of time for no reason. It is not wise as acting out of just stand takes longer than dash dancing. TIP: waveland on platforms for more options upon landing
Center stage: This was very apparent and easily your worst problem. You did not fight much for center stage and sometimes just stayed back as you got hit with projectiles. Against mario, you tried power shielding far too much where jumping is a much better option.
Projectiles: Marth has a hard time dealing with projectiles, so keeping pressure on your opponent is key. Make sure you keep them from landing their projectiles as best as you can, either by forcing shield, or just not letting them breathe. Hope I helped
Thanks! I mean, the video was from a while back, so I've picked up on a lot of what I did wrong, but I still very much appreciate the advice as you do point out some things I hadn't noticed myself.

Last edited:

Ben Zed

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BENZ#0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tPJ3MJ-jXA&list=PLQILVOTmymMOPZ4oMju_m-OBqmBDNgIWM&index=1

...sorry about the double post. I just recorded this yesterday, and I experimented a lot in this set. I think I know a lot of what I did wrong, but I'm interested in hearing what other people have to say, as I probably don't see everything. So no specific advice really; if anyone can just give their general idea of what's right/wrong that'd help a lot. Thanks!

(Edit: I'm the Red Marth if that wasn't clear.)

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Try to dash dance closer to your opponent. The way you're doing it currently, you aren't pressuring the opponent enough. Also, don't forget the importance of shielding while dashing. If you see that your opponent want to cut off a portion of your dash dance space with a hitbox, try to make them space it poorly and punish by shielding and wavedashing out of shield/fairing out of shield/shield grabbing.

When comboing at low percent, try to hit with tippered fairs and uairs. If you hit with a weak aerial, be prepared for your opponent potentially counter attacking by falling down with an aerial of their own. Your judgment of spacing for combos will improve the more you play against opponents who can challenge you.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tPJ3MJ-jXA&list=PLQILVOTmymMOPZ4oMju_m-OBqmBDNgIWM&index=1

...sorry about the double post. I just recorded this yesterday, and I experimented a lot in this set. I think I know a lot of what I did wrong, but I'm interested in hearing what other people have to say, as I probably don't see everything. So no specific advice really; if anyone can just give their general idea of what's right/wrong that'd help a lot. Thanks!

(Edit: I'm the Red Marth if that wasn't clear.)
FAR BETTER! But there are still some things.
DONT do raw f smashes in neutral. Far too laggy
DONT play on the ledge, I noticed that for the few minutes I watched it, you kept jumping off and on the ledge which is easily read and at one point caused you to lose a stock
Also be more agrresive. I'm short on time right now, but refer to ssbm tutorials for a more detailed look on Marth's neutral game.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBK01dgEcwA

Would love more critique! still trying to work on implementing a better dashdance and generally stronger neutral game. also going to work on execution; i feel clunky at times, and definitely think my movement and follow-ups are lacking

i've been getting bopped lately, but this is the only video i have. thanks for taking a look!

Top Bottom