• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ever had doubts about your mains?

Lord Vaynard

Smash Cadet
I main Falcon and sub pit

casuals Luigi, Olimar and DK

as I've been playing against friends and realized that I'm not as good a falcon player as I thought i would on the count of I always use him in a 2 times every 3 matches and now I tend to lose more often or if not lose, win but in a sucky way.

Now I decided to use Pikachu for this one match and realized that I cream with him...I mean I felt unstoppable with 'em

Now I realized could it be? I'm better at using this mouse then the very character I main'd and trained to death since I started playing smash?

I also realized that I'm better with DK then Pit...

yet I dont wanna jump ship from my main and sub

So I'm having a Main, Sub dilemma.

I'm askin if any of you good men have had this moment in your lives as a smasher

Ajna

Smash Apprentice
you want to go with who your best with. when your just playing your friends or by yourself, use everyone your good with and just keep track of who you seem to be getting the best with.
you must like pikachu a bit to have decided to try him out.

maybe its using someone fresh thats making your skill better? sometimes its easier to get creative with someone you dont use over and over again.

Lord Vaynard

Smash Cadet
I main'd falcon because of his awesome looks and the way he combo's

and also because a lot of people tell me he was a monster in melee

and a pushover in brawl.

so i main'd him in both to prove that he's still a monster on any smash game

I've eyed his weaknesses and tried to find ways to improve them.

maybe because when i used pikachu (who is high on tier list) It felt easier to beat my cousin's Wolf(I hav trouble with his Wolf when I'm Falcon) because I'm using a character with more to give in the plate and less things to improve on...

But I'm still going for falcon though, I've seen MONSTER Falcon's out there (Rebaz, champ, Ally) of course melee's (Isai)...

but i wouldn't mind keeping a secret weapon if needed...

now i just have to think...

DK or Pit...?

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
lol happens to me all the time, it's why i've never really had a real main
first i mained lucas
thought i was better with wario
then ganon
olimar
lucario
ike
icies
lucas again..
and i keep going through all these characters because i always start to feel better with another

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Me....................truely a Mario Main but then found out that I do better wityh Wolf:(

Zephil

Smash Ace
is normal to feel that way, my main is Fox but my friends say I have the best Snake and he is not even my secondary! but still there is a good thing of having a main mid/low tier and is that few people know the matchup... I don´t even care anymore y my Snake is better than my Fox, Fox is my main and TL my secondary

Lord Vaynard

Smash Cadet
is normal to feel that way, my main is Fox but my friends say I have the best Snake and he is not even my secondary! but still there is a good thing of having a main mid/low tier and is that few people know the matchup... I don´t even care anymore y my Snake is better than my Fox, Fox is my main and TL my secondary

i know right? i'll stick by my man Falcon yet still not sure bout the sub thogh...

ss118

Smash Master
Just use Metaknight. 10$ says you're best with him....
... but on a more serious note, I've dealt with this dilemma, especially when you first start out. Just pick characters and play with who you do best. You're not FORCED to use him, though.

Meccs

@Meccs_
Well, I main Ness, and second Pikachu and Lucas. Sometimes I think about switching cause, well, there are a lot of times where I do better with either of them (mostly Pikachu). Lots of people that I can't beat with Ness I can beat with Pikachu. Idk, I know more about Ness, but still seem to do better with Pikachu...
Though, I couldn't stand to switch mains; I like maining Ness too much. If that makes any sense.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
(sigh) I remember back in the day when my Dedede was severely underrated. Everyone would be like, "You use Dedede, are you serious?" Only to get pwned, time and time again. nowadays, I've hit a plateau. I've been at this plateau for several months now. Unfortunately, no other character can replace Dedede. I already play a lot of characters in friendlies/seriouslies, but no of them get the job done.

Feels

Smash Cadet
Yes, i had some doubts about my main. People complaining about chaingrabs, lack of an active community, etc.

BUT, I kept playing with them, and I still will.

holypho

Smash Apprentice
i get hella mad when ppl counterpick me and i second guess my mains sometimes becuz of that, but you know : / thats how it is

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
All the tiiiiiiime.

But I won't switch my main no matter what happens.

/fanboyismlawls

Lord Vaynard

Smash Cadet
All the tiiiiiiime.

But I won't switch my main no matter what happens.

/fanboyismlawls
Thats how I feel... Falcon Fanboy FTW!!!

Well, I main Ness, and second Pikachu and Lucas. Sometimes I think about switching cause, well, there are a lot of times where I do better with either of them (mostly Pikachu). Lots of people that I can't beat with Ness I can beat with Pikachu. Idk, I know more about Ness, but still seem to do better with Pikachu...
Though, I couldn't stand to switch mains; I like maining Ness too much. If that makes any sense.
It does with me and falcon...

Just use Metaknight. 10$ says you're best with him....
it doesnt feel right for me... i feel he lacks that oomf move unlike the knee and dk's smashes... sure he's a monster but no POW!! move for me

(sigh) I remember back in the day when my Dedede was severely underrated. Everyone would be like, "You use Dedede, are you serious?" Only to get pwned, time and time again. nowadays, I've hit a plateau. I've been at this plateau for several months now. Unfortunately, no other character can replace Dedede. I already play a lot of characters in friendlies/seriouslies, but no of them get the job done.
LOL Imagine that...but with Falcon... "LOLOLOL U CHOSE FALCON??" that makes me waNNA main him more... to prove i can cream with his MOVES

i get hella mad when ppl counterpick me and i second guess my mains sometimes becuz of that, but you know : / thats how it is
I dont usually care about counterpicking I believe that My Falcon WILL and Take em down and If not Then I'll go down trying...
GIVE EM HELL!!

Rudra

Smash Ace
There are times when I doubt my main, especially when I feel like I'm not doing well enough or I'm having difficulty getting better, or maybe even when I have a matchup I hate playing with him, but thats why I have 4 secondaries I can always switch to in order to take a break from my main and try a new playstyle or to deal with matchups.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I main Bowser in Brawl. Decided to try out one of these fancy top tier characters that everyone keeps talking about, so I picked G&W as my main. I must be doing something terrible wrong, because I just can't play right with him.
I know he's supposed to be really easy to play, but things just work out better for me when I use Bowser :p

Zephil

Smash Ace
I main Bowser in Brawl. Decided to try out one of these fancy top tier characters that everyone keeps talking about, so I picked G&W as my main. I must be doing something terrible wrong, because I just can't play right with him.
I know he's supposed to be really easy to play, but things just work out better for me when I use Bowser :p
G&W is not Top Tier and his worst matchups are the real Top Tiers... so thats your mistake

Right now the top tiers imo are:

MK
Snake
Diddy Kong
Falco
ICs
Wario

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'm lucky that I know Diddy is a viable character in the tournament scene, otherwise I probably would have switched from him. I've tried looking at characters like Dedede and Wario, but I think Diddy works out better for me.

I have this dilemma more in Melee, just because it's hard for me to choose between Sheik/Fox/Marth/Falco, since I'm somewhat inconsistent.

If the character you use is low tier, you will definitely doubt them at times, because it's something that's easy to blame for your loss.

The way I think you should look at your characters, is in terms of your 'Main' and your 'Tournament Characters'. It's cool to invest a lot of time into a lower tiered character, and lots of people are impressed by these players, but it's up to you whether you want to win by choosing a higher tiered character or not I guess.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
^^^ Look at the characters I use! vvv
Do you see the chains I bear? There is no doubt when using most of the cast! Doubt comes with the likes of the lesser rep'd characters. Just realize the awesomeness of who you main. You should not be doubting them.

Lord Vaynard

Smash Cadet
^^^ Look at the characters I use! vvv
Do you see the chains I bear? There is no doubt when using most of the cast! Doubt comes with the likes of the lesser rep'd characters. Just realize the awesomeness of who you main. You should not be doubting them.
Ah A Fellow Falcon User...
I know most of the characters and know how to use them properly.

but i stuck with falcon and Just oday Me and my friends had a Brawlfest and Guess what?

I creamed them with falcon!!

well maybe not creamed but we had a blast. considering im using the 3rd lowest tiered character against the likes of DeDeDe, kirby, lucario and Sonic...

Man, I felt like my gameplay improved today after feeling that i needed to prove my skill with falcon and realize when i used pit that i kinda got him down, Well excpt for arrow swarming...

man We had epic matches and now we made it that every saturday we meet up like this...

My falcon was a beast today...

Jonas

Smash Champion
G&W is not Top Tier and his worst matchups are the real Top Tiers... so thats your mistake

Right now the top tiers imo are:

MK
Snake
Diddy Kong
Falco
ICs
Wario
Wasn't he top tier once? or at least high tier :laugh:
I'm pretty sure he's was higher on the list when I picked him :p
But you're right though, it was a pretty dumb choise.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Ah A Fellow Falcon User...
I know most of the characters and know how to use them properly.

but i stuck with falcon and Just oday Me and my friends had a Brawlfest and Guess what?

I creamed them with falcon!!

well maybe not creamed but we had a blast. considering im using the 3rd lowest tiered character against the likes of DeDeDe, kirby, lucario and Sonic...

Man, I felt like my gameplay improved today after feeling that i needed to prove my skill with falcon and realize when i used pit that i kinda got him down, Well excpt for arrow swarming...

man We had epic matches and now we made it that every saturday we meet up like this...

My falcon was a beast today...
It's people like you that make me smile. I bet your friends started out like "haha look at this kid, he thinks he's gonna win with Falcon". But you know what? Regardless of all the difficulties low tier mains put up with, it's those surprise moments that that make it so rewarding.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, when I considered giving up Mario, my former main, as I used to barely emerge victorious with him. Eventually, I watched combo videos, made my own, etc. and got increasingly better. I've just demoted him to a secondary as of now. :3 But, in my opinion, I'm still decent with him.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Well OP, and others. I have a story for you as to why you may think your better with another character, but really might not be.

I was going sheik against another smashers ganondorf, we play a lot together so he knew the match up, we were about even. However, for the lulz I went pichu and surprsingly ***** him, three stocked (This was back in melee). And the reason I ***** him was because he didnt know the match up. the next match he beat me because he learned how to fight pichu. after that I couldnt beat him with pichu.

Case in point, if someone doesnt know the match up they can easily get ***** by someone their own skill level or worse than themselves. if your opponents are the kinds that dont learn match ups quickly than your probablly just winning that way. So what looks like you ****** someone is really them being at a loss for the match up.

Me, I just play with whoever I feel more comfortable with, right now Im liking peach because she has a really fun projectile/up close game compared to other characters, I would say falcon is like my secondary or something, but he's still kind of fun to use in brawl so I stick with him, Also, I dont usually enter brawl tournaments so I dont care about picking up high tier characters. But I did pick up high tiers in melee to compensate for my low tier mains bad match ups (Link)

Another note, if you like your main dont switch, if you keep getting ***** at tournaments and are serious about winning, pick up diddy and play gay with bannas, or pick up meta knight and be gay with him.

Lord Vaynard

Smash Cadet
Another note, if you like your main dont switch, if you keep getting ***** at tournaments and are serious about winning, pick up diddy and play gay with bannas, or pick up meta knight and be gay with him.
lol i get ur point man... I lol's at the diddy and bananas part. kinda gay..but fun to do.

Speaking from my Melee main, tiers don't exits.
I'm a friggin' Pichu

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!?
I felt pichu in melee and falcon in brawl share a connection

They felt being LOWEST..and ridiculed at

It's people like you that make me smile. I bet your friends started out like "haha look at this kid, he thinks he's gonna win with Falcon". But you know what? Regardless of all the difficulties low tier mains put up with, it's those surprise moments that that make it so rewarding.
yup, i asked for help in some forums and youtube bout falcon and all i heard was BOTTOM TIER, LOWEST. They stressed that i'm better off with higher tiered ones,
well my friend who introduced smash to me was a pichu mainer back in melee. and he whooped a lot of ***, and i bet we believed tht tiers dont really matter...

someday it would be cool for people to be amazed at how much my falcon and Falcon in general is improving...I'll strive for that...

NOW... OFF TO LEARNING HOW TO USE PIT'S ARROW SWARMS!!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
My mains:

Kirby, Sonic, Luigi

My exes:

R.O.B., Wolf, Lucas (this one was really hard to let go)

Considering:

Lucario, Marth, Wario

...yeah I constantly change. I tried R.O.B.... not as good as I thought Id be.

Had lucas for almost a year and a half... I realized his recovery was really sucky by my terms, so I just stopped playing with him for a while and eventually ended up dropping him

Wolf... I mained him for about 2 months, but I just stopped altogether when I realized I didnt like him much

Sonic, Im starting to have doubts about him due to his recovery. I mean his vertical recovery is the bomb, but I have no idea how to stop his side B in mid air so when I try to stop it so I can do my up B, I end up SDing myself. Unless I discover an easier way, Ill have to drop it all together.

The people Im considering... well lucario is capable of major damage, but the downside is that he has to be on high damage, unless youre at temple, thats different. Wario... well, I like his recovery enough, but its just something about him... and marth... well I think you know

Kirby and luigi would be like blasphemy if I drop them (especially kirby) That would be never. Luigi is too kick *** when he is in his final smash and you nail them with your sweet spot, and kirby.... yeah great recovery, great moveset. It has everything I could ask for, except for a horrible final smash. **** them at nintendo. Whos bright idea was it to make a final smash as horrible as that. Atleast they couldve made it unavoidable, but they didnt.

Atomic Yoshi

Smash Apprentice
I've kinda think i'm bad at yoshi. This grab, b-air, and u-smash spam just isn't working. I'm pretty much using Snake now. He can snap necks AND hit you by hitting the air around you.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Its very normal to doubt your main in the beginning, when youre not sure about them.
Alot of people have that problem. But, if you kinda found your style, its easier to find your character. I, like lightweights. I want speed in my game. I played with MK. But, I did'n't liked him at all.

I have had so many mains. It first where the Ice Climbers. I promised myself to never start learning CGing until I mastered the very basics. I kept myself to that promised, but I never mastered the basics.

The idea is, you're always gonna have some trouble. The thing I see with you. You wanna play Pichu and Falcon because they are low tier. You wanna play with a low tier character, because then, you look original and you can help those chars get a better reputation. But thats the wrong reason to use them. U should use them because they feel like your char. And if Pikachu feels better, maybe try him.

And the thing is, I now main ZSS. And al the guys that had fun with my IC were pretty sad. But that isn't neccesary. Because you can just play them as alternate characters! I still alt my IC. Look at guys like Ninjalink, the rock with alot of characters, but they play best if one pesefic, and they stick with it, but that doesn't mean you have to play with it al the time.

If you like Captain Falcon, but its just not your best character, you might consider practicing with Pikachu, and just using Captain Falcon as a Secondary. You can still play him, you can still proof that low tiers aren't bad, but you can also play with a character youre just better at!

And if youre having trouble winning. Its not such a disaster with Captain Falcon. Its not a bad char, but the bad matchups just make it harder to get a win than when you play with Metaknight, so don't worry about you losing, if you keep practicing with Captain Falcon, but just use Pikachu as well, youre eventually gonna get better. Its pretty easy.

Number 28

Smash Cadet
Everyone is better with Pika than with Falcon. That is because Falcon sucks and Pika does not. And yes Falcon sucks. I think he's awsome too, but that doesn't mean I will trick myself into believing lies.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Actually, I think youre right.
But you CAN be better with Falcon than with Pikachu. If his style fits you more. That is because Pikachu has a faster like style that needs grabs.

Falcon has a style in wich guy's like Luigi are better, but you can be better.
The thing is, I play with Falcon as well for fun, but you can't expect too win easily with him. So, if you feel better with Pikachu, secondary Falcon, said Volcanic Doomfire again.

Lord Vaynard

Smash Cadet
Its very normal to doubt your main in the beginning, when youre not sure about them.
Alot of people have that problem. But, if you kinda found your style, its easier to find your character. I, like lightweights. I want speed in my game. I played with MK. But, I did'n't liked him at all.

I have had so many mains. It first where the Ice Climbers. I promised myself to never start learning CGing until I mastered the very basics. I kept myself to that promised, but I never mastered the basics.

The idea is, you're always gonna have some trouble. The thing I see with you. You wanna play Pichu and Falcon because they are low tier. You wanna play with a low tier character, because then, you look original and you can help those chars get a better reputation. But thats the wrong reason to use them. U should use them because they feel like your char. And if Pikachu feels better, maybe try him.

And the thing is, I now main ZSS. And al the guys that had fun with my IC were pretty sad. But that isn't neccesary. Because you can just play them as alternate characters! I still alt my IC. Look at guys like Ninjalink, the rock with alot of characters, but they play best if one pesefic, and they stick with it, but that doesn't mean you have to play with it al the time.

If you like Captain Falcon, but its just not your best character, you might consider practicing with Pikachu, and just using Captain Falcon as a Secondary. You can still play him, you can still proof that low tiers aren't bad, but you can also play with a character youre just better at!

And if youre having trouble winning. Its not such a disaster with Captain Falcon. Its not a bad char, but the bad matchups just make it harder to get a win than when you play with Metaknight, so don't worry about you losing, if you keep practicing with Captain Falcon, but just use Pikachu as well, youre eventually gonna get better. Its pretty easy.

I Really am Passionate about Falcon though...it al started when i was a scrub and I Falcon'd for the beginner lulz... but he kinda grew on me... And then i started to like him.. and then my friend got me into melee... It felt awesome... but cant beat his pichu though... then he told me about tiers and stuff, and then we got brawl... so i still use falcon... but now I'm the one with a low tier char but too me its not much of a big deal.. i mean my friend owns with pichu... therefore i can own with falcon... and if i cant I WILL... so you can say that...even if the facts are all there the bad matchups are all there even if the "OMFG!! FALCON PUNCH WAS OVERPRIORITIZED BY A SWORD SLASH!" is there... I still want to rise up and layeth the Smackethdown on all thier candy Assess... Besides his moves.. look... COOL... I mean KILLER KNEE... I'm hoping for a future SSB4 Buff but I'm happy that there even is A Captain Falcon Right now...

Everyone is better with Pika than with Falcon. That is because Falcon sucks and Pika does not. And yes Falcon sucks. I think he's awsome too, but that doesn't mean I will trick myself into believing lies.
Ouch...falcon sucks... that hurt... what lies? i mean yes the facts are all there but thier just data... i mean sure they help make better choices, but that kinda breaks the spirit...IMO If u main for example, Ganondorf beccause u like his ******ery in zelda games, then u see all the data, u'll be discouraged from playing him just to win, I Mean I'm doubting my main because of certain people bringing down chars.. and i respect that cuz data is there for a reason... but i think ur pride and honor as a fighter would be scarred i mean A SAMURAI wont get a gun because I'ts HIGHER IN THE TIER LIST... He'd bring a katana...

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I Really am Passionate about Falcon though...it al started when i was a scrub and I Falcon'd for the beginner lulz... but he kinda grew on me... And then i started to like him.. and then my friend got me into melee... It felt awesome... but cant beat his pichu though... then he told me about tiers and stuff, and then we got brawl... so i still use falcon... but now I'm the one with a low tier char but too me its not much of a big deal.. i mean my friend owns with pichu... therefore i can own with falcon... and if i cant I WILL... so you can say that...even if the facts are all there the bad matchups are all there even if the "OMFG!! FALCON PUNCH WAS OVERPRIORITIZED BY A SWORD SLASH!" is there... I still want to rise up and layeth the Smackethdown on all thier candy Assess... Besides his moves.. look... COOL... I mean KILLER KNEE... I'm hoping for a future SSB4 Buff but I'm happy that there even is A Captain Falcon Right now...

Ouch...falcon sucks... that hurt... what lies? i mean yes the facts are all there but thier just data... i mean sure they help make better choices, but that kinda breaks the spirit...IMO If u main for example, Ganondorf beccause u like his ******ery in zelda games, then u see all the data, u'll be discouraged from playing him just to win, I Mean I'm doubting my main because of certain people bringing down chars.. and i respect that cuz data is there for a reason... but i think ur pride and honor as a fighter would be scarred i mean A SAMURAI wont get a gun because I'ts HIGHER IN THE TIER LIST... He'd bring a katana...
I SO read that post even though I thought it was a bad idea...and it was, sorry... Make your sentences a bit more...organised ;).
And to OP, ofcourse I have main-char problems, I main f***ing Ike, but I use him because he fits me perfectly, and next to him I always have Marth or Wario to fall back to, maybe even IC's in the future.
That's the thing, if you have trouble with mains (tourney-wise, like I have) just pick good secondaries, if you dislike your main, drop him and search the roster for someone new, it's easy.

Top Bottom