• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
blacksmithing is stupid easy to level up.
alchemy takes forever.
enchanting.. i assume there's an easy way but not for me!

to level up Sneak, just find a sleeping person or something and autorun while sneaking next to them and go afk :3

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Got smithing up to 70 today, I think I've only legitimately smithed like 10 items for my own use, and then like 30 iron daggers and 60 leather bracers or something ridiculous. Alchemy is rough, Asdioh for enchanting
disenchanting stuff increases your level really fast if you find enchanted stuff you don't want, which is actually fairly common

That's a good tip for sneaking, didn't think of that.

D

Deleted member

SkyRim
because banning videogames is more important than learning how to spell words

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Hey Hylian, have you used Steam lately? I opened it yesterday and it said it updated skyrim (but since it's steam, it never tells me exactly what the hell these updates do)
And I just clicked my desktop shortcut to Skyrim, which made it open Steam.
And I'm like... >_>

In other words, I think that shortcut you gave no longer works with this update.

also that petition thing, there's some great stuff in there:
"To enact an immediate ban on the videogame known as "SkyRim" produced by Blizzard Entertainment."
Because Blizzard Entertainment made the game.

"Immediately Ban the Deadly Videogame Known as "SkyRim" for The Safety of America's Youths."
Because the game isn't rated M for Mature.

The freaking names of the signatures are so hilarious though.

also I started watching Samurai Champloo and this:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey Hylian, have you used Steam lately? I opened it yesterday and it said it updated skyrim (but since it's steam, it never tells me exactly what the hell these updates do)
And I just clicked my desktop shortcut to Skyrim, which made it open Steam.
And I'm like... >_>

In other words, I think that shortcut you gave no longer works with this update.

also that petition thing, there's some great stuff in there:
"To enact an immediate ban on the videogame known as "SkyRim" produced by Blizzard Entertainment."
Because Blizzard Entertainment made the game.

"Immediately Ban the Deadly Videogame Known as "SkyRim" for The Safety of America's Youths."
Because the game isn't rated M for Mature.

The freaking names of the signatures are so hilarious though.

also I started watching Samurai Champloo and this:

Yeah the new patch makes the file I told you about open steam. So you are screwed basically lol. I'm just not opening steam/having it on auto-update

frotaz37

Smash Lord
After a few days of doing nothing but downloading texture packs, mods, and screwing around with the skyrimprefs.ini, I've finally got the game to run on my 12 year old computer. Great FPS too. The adventures of Donald the Redguard begin...I guess.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
After a few days of doing nothing but downloading texture packs, mods, and screwing around with the skyrimprefs.ini, I've finally got the game to run on my 12 year old computer. Great FPS too. The adventures of Donald the Redguard begin...I guess.
Dear god, what are the specs on your computer?

My old computer .... would be about that age, maybe a tiny bit older. It was a nightmare though...

Also wait, you should let me know what kind of mods you have if they increase performance, because my 2-year-old laptop has to run the game on pretty crap settings, and I'd love to improve it if possible.
I've gotten used to 800x600 resolution :/ is that what you run yours on?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Skyrim's a fantastic game. My favorite by far. However, the PS3 version (which is what I'm playing) is getting a bad rap for frame rate lag the longer you play the game. Yes, the frame rate lag does get severely bad, to the point of being unplayable until you turn off the PS3 and restart it. Thankfully, Bethesda's releasing a patch to fix this (as well as other glitches and programming oversights seen across all platforms) sometime during the week after Thanksgiving.

Gripes aside, I'm currently doing the Dark Brotherhood arc. I've finished The Companions, Thieves Guild and The College of Winterhold. I have to say, so far - despite the lag issues - I'm having a blast with this game.

Also, for those who want to max your level super easy, there's an exploit involving the Daedric Artifact, Oghma Infinium. I'd tell you what it is, but I'm feeling too lazy to explain, so search it out, if you're feeling cheap. Assuming you want to go this route, you better hurry, before they patch it. :awesome:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
So I was talking to a dude in the DB sanctuary, when in the background I noticed one of the other members going nuts with an axe, but I couldn't see what he was attacking. So I went over there and uhhh... this is what he was doing.

I've never seen somebody so dedicated to their battleaxe training.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Asdioh, my computer is 2.8GHZ single core, 1GB of RAM. The only thing I've upgraded over the past 11 years is the graphics card, which is an AGP Geforce 7800 GS.

Oddly enough, the game actually runs smoother in 1280x1024, my max resolution on this monitor. If I go to 800x600, everything is more choppy. I'm considering switching over to my widescreen monitor to try that out. Maybe it would reduce the lag even more? Who knows. The only thing that improves from lowering the resolution really is the mouse lag on menu/map.

The mods I'm using... one of them is called "Performance and bugfix ENBSeries 092 Patch 5" and the other is called "TESV Reduced Texture Pack". As for editing the .ini files, your best bet is to greatly reduce the quality of shadows. It makes a HUGE difference.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
So I've run into very few, non recreatable glitches. Or at least, I've no success of recreating, and have had not attempted (nor wanted) to try to.

-The first was something involving my companion carrying some Dragon Bone for me. Along with wearing some Steel Plate, a Helm, and Gloves. I think at the time, she was carrying about 7 Dragon Bone. Some time later, after some adventurin', I went to get recover my bounty, to find that not only was my Dragon Bone gone (one left :c), but there were now 13 of each Steel Helm, Armor and Gloves. O_o I made some gold on it, but not enough to break the game. Twas odd. I don't know how or what I did to duplicate anything. I did have her 'pick up' said items via the 'command' option. Don't know if there's a duplicate function that way. :shrug: I'd expect it to be patched.

-The second glitch I ran into happened in Whiterun's 'Trading Post'. I walked in the door... And fell through the floor... O_o After I fell about... Ten feet, I landed next to the shopkeep. I turn the corner, floor is gone, but I can see the 'Vendor Chests' under the floor boards. Leaving and coming back in fixed it. Haven't experienced it again. Could have just been a glitch due to extended playtime.

Playing on the Xbox by the way.

Wrapping up my Thieves Guild quest. :awesome: This game is amazing. I've done so much, and yet, so little. Also, my smithing is at 100! Making my way around to get all of the smithing tree done (since I can still use the bows in Daedric/Ebony, even though I'm using Light armor).

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Arr! I got 100 Smithing in 1 hour after buying all the Iron Ingots and Leather Strips :D I think I'm gonna get 100 Sneak and Pickpocketing this weekend though.

I've just been doing quests for the librarian guy in The Mage's College Arcanaeum. I've found like 10 books and he's still giving me more quests...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
yeah, game's been out over 2 weeks, i have at least a few dozen hours on 2 characters, and i still haven't finished any quest chains (unless you count Forbidden Legends...)
At least, none of the major faction ones.

I explored my first Dwemer ruins yesterday. Was pretty awesome.

Kraivenous

Smash Apprentice
anyone had troubles with the update? I haven't started it up yet...

EDIT: The PC version is all I really care about. Just saying.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't update mine lol. The last patch made all resistances in game not work and caused dragons to fly backwards every now and then.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
highly recommend don't updating your version of skyrim, the patches aren't even that great.

at the loss of ALL mods including the 4gb unlocker, which you all should have if you have more than 2gigs of ram.

D

Deleted member

I should not. on full ultra skyrim only uses 1GB of ram.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
highly recommend don't updating your version of skyrim, the patches aren't even that great.

at the loss of ALL mods including the 4gb unlocker, which you all should have if you have more than 2gigs of ram.
i heard the 4gb thing actually messes stuff up.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I should not. on full ultra skyrim only uses 1GB of ram.
which is exactly why you get the 4gb unlocker..it doesn't cap skyrims 1gigabye limitation.

i have experienced nothing but amazingness from the 4gb unlocker. my game went from choppy with mouse lag to absolute perfect fps almost all the time. no glitches arised whatsoever. it gave me the oppurtunity to download tons of graphical mods without fps loss either.

here's a couple shots i took in game with some GFX mods, the world went from cool, to breathtaking. it's hard for me not to stop and take screenshots everywhere.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1256/tesv2011112619471882.png

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7377/tesv2011112621075599.png

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3151/tesv2011112620323120.png

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4079/tesv2011112619295538.png

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5277/tesv2011112620335603.png

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8276/tesv2011112618530632.png

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/753/tesv2011112620495463.png

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
which is exactly why you get the 4gb unlocker..it doesn't cap skyrims 1gigabye limitation.

i have experienced nothing but amazingness from the 4gb unlocker. my game went from choppy with mouse lag to absolute perfect fps almost all the time. no glitches arised whatsoever. it gave me the oppurtunity to download tons of graphical mods without fps loss either.

here's a couple shots i took in game with some GFX mods, the world went from cool, to breathtaking. it's hard for me not to stop and take screenshots everywhere.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1256/tesv2011112619471882.png

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7377/tesv2011112621075599.png

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3151/tesv2011112620323120.png

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4079/tesv2011112619295538.png

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5277/tesv2011112620335603.png

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8276/tesv2011112618530632.png

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/753/tesv2011112620495463.png

Sweet mother of baby ****ing tap dancing pogo sticking dog loving Jesus that's god damn beautiful. I wish I had PC that could handle this game.

DAMN IT ECKS BAWKS!! BE MORE PEE SEE! :mad:

Kraivenous

Smash Apprentice
well, I haven't had those problems so far, and I don't really care the current mods at the moment. Both me and a friend saw a high increase in crashes after we installed mods. We're gonna wait for the mod kit Bethesda is gonna release before we try mods again.

As for the 4gb unlocker, I haven't had the choppiness/ mouse lag issue or anything like that so that particular mod didn't enthuse me in the first place.

D

Deleted member

except every single place you can get the 4gb mods says it raises it from 2 to 4, not form 1.
also if I run the game on full ultra @60fps, why would I install something I heard equally as much bad things about?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
My game has only crashed about ~3 times, and if I'm not mistaken, every single one of those was when I hit the quicksave button. I quicksave often. And even though it crashes, it still saved there so it's not a big deal.

lol video

edit: is there a way to play the music (and voices I guess) from skyrim? I know i could do it for morrowind by going to the morrowind folder, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this game. :|

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I found just using conjuration/restoration/destruction left me starved for levels.

Try out alchemy/enchanting too

:phone:

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I found just using conjuration/restoration/destruction left me starved for levels.

Try out alchemy/enchanting too

:phone:
Obviously I use alchemy, enchanting etc when I get the materials.

I meant conjuration and destruction as my way to kill stuff :)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm not using enchanting or smithing, makes the game too easy :/.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Damage perks make the game too easy.

Also, learned of a little exploit involving alchemy + enchanting:

Make fortify enchant potion -> enchant a full set of fortify alchemy clothes -> repeat
Infinite diminishing returns loop! I like to call all things like that, the Jax Loop.

Top Bottom