• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

El paso TMS - brawl/melee tournament Nov. 14th-16th (MK is banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Regarding all the MK stuff: I'm not one of the TOs (and I do not claim to be) but I think that we should do this tourney without MK being banned. See how it goes. Then, next time, we ban MK. See how that goes. That way, we can compare data between the two.

Regarding Melee: I'm signing up for Melee just to put more money in the pot for the winner. I'll get knocked out first round because I can hardly even wavedash.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
We all discussed it and we are indeed going to BAN METAKNIGHT.

and

NOT BANING CHAINTHROWS IN ANY WAY OUT SIDE OF THE WHOLE NO OVER 300%" (cause thats stalling) .

Oh and all this crazy s*** was going on that I couldn't keep up with so we might get even more money for the pot if the sponsorship goes good.

=D

EDIT: BTW Arturo I added this tourney to All is brawl.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
We all discussed it and we are indeed going to BAN METAKNIGHT.

and

NOT BANING CHAINTHROWS IN ANY WAY OUT SIDE OF THE WHOLE NO OVER 300%" (cause thats stalling) .

Oh and all this crazy s*** was going on that I couldn't keep up with so we might get even more money for the pot if the sponsorship goes good.

=D

EDIT: BTW Arturo I added this tourney to All is brawl.
Sweet. MK banned with SBR rules is amazing.

Will be fun :).

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
This will be good, if I go. I still have to make plans.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I still believe a MK banned tourny is not very important in your region. NM is already going to completely ban MK in all tournaments. Their best and only MK user is Sinz. You can PM him how well players do against him and whether or not those players are on his skill level to determine their viewpoint. AZ, from I can remember, represented them at an OOS NM tourny playing Pitt, Snake and Kirby. They probably can get collective data from MK ban tourny's hosted by CA or AZ themselves...somewhere further west coast. A test run collectively gathering NM, AZ and west TX doesn't seem very fruitful in my opinion.
I got 5th at the tournament the second day of playing MK. I picked him up the night before. At the next few tournaments I dominated with MK. It was actually getting kinda droll. I am perfectly fine with a ban on MK. I am the only MK mainer in NM, and I agreed to the ban, it would only hurt me, but I was and am fine with it. I am still the best in my state, and that goes without question.

EDIT: OH SHIZ. DON'T HURT ME DREW.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
So an MK ban? Coolio. I support the ban, so it being banned in this tournament is nothing but a pleasant surprise.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I kind of oppose the community wide ban on philosophical reasons, but I want him banned at this tournament for statistical purposes, and the more I think about it, the more fun it sounds to get to play a tournament without worrying about MK. I can finally stop trying to learn him to counter him, and focus on my pika-pika-pikachu. All around, I'm starting to really want him banned just so tournaments become more fun.

AZ phx crowd, we need to get together a few times before this to get ready. Also, I need a doubles partner until BloodHawk moves here from Indiana this winter.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
I kind of oppose the community wide ban on philosophical reasons, but I want him banned at this tournament for statistical purposes, and the more I think about it, the more fun it sounds to get to play a tournament without worrying about MK. I can finally stop trying to learn him to counter him, and focus on my pika-pika-pikachu. All around, I'm starting to really want him banned just so tournaments become more fun.

AZ phx crowd, we need to get together a few times before this to get ready. Also, I need a doubles partner until BloodHawk moves here from Indiana this winter.
Cool. Metaknight causes us to over centralize our attention on just learning him inside and out, thus a ban is a better solution. =D

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
I personally think the MK ban is stupid, I mean new mexico banned him permanently so if you wanted to go to a MK ban tournament just hit up NM or Hobo 12. Dallas is glad to do 1 mk ban tournament but 2 in a row? Pushing it alittle bit.

And DastrnMarco want to do the ban for a statistical purpose? Then go to Hobo12 where everyone plays MK in houson and collect data from there. This ban is going to do no good if you want to do it for the sole purpose of "collecting data" since El Paso doesn't sound like a community flooded with MK users, unlike houston or dallas.

Cool. Metaknight causes us to over centralize our attention on just learning him inside and out, thus a ban is a better solution. =D
WTF so a character is so good you think its better to ban him then learn the match up? Let me guess next thing you see marth and falco dominate the Brawl scene want to ban them to? Sounds like to me El Paso is to lazy to learn the match up.

error13

Smash Journeyman
I personally think the MK ban is stupid, I mean new mexico banned him permanently so if you wanted to go to a MK ban tournament just hit up NM or Hobo 12. Dallas is glad to do 1 mk ban tournament but 2 in a row? Pushing it alittle bit.

And DastrnMarco want to do the ban for a statistical purpose? Then go to Hobo12 where everyone plays MK in houson and collect data from there. This ban is going to do no good if you want to do it for the sole purpose of "collecting data" since El Paso doesn't sound like a community flooded with MK users, unlike houston or dallas.

WTF so a character is so good you think its better to ban him then learn the match up? Let me guess next thing you see marth and falco dominate the Brawl scene want to ban them to? Sounds like to me El Paso is to lazy learn the match up.
no need to begin an arguemtent it would be nice if dallas came, but metaknight will remained banned. I personally dont care about the ban i have no problem with MKs, but it seems he is a destructive character at any amplitude

Dojo

Smash Champion
Lol Dphat this shouldn't harm you in any way. Breathe bro. Say woooosahh :)

I hope I can get my Diddy there. It'll be steroided up and ready to **** after duking it up in Htown.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
Lol Dphat this shouldn't harm you in any way. Breathe bro. Say woooosahh :)

I hope I can get my Diddy there. It'll be steroided up and ready to **** after duking it up in Htown.
It doesn't harm me at all since im not a MK player but.. you're right whatever Dallas will probably still be attending and you can tell cake infinity isn't coming now so we got a spot open for him lol.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I got 5th at the tournament the second day of playing MK. I picked him up the night before. At the next few tournaments I dominated with MK. It was actually getting kinda droll. I am perfectly fine with a ban on MK. I am the only MK mainer in NM, and I agreed to the ban, it would only hurt me, but I was and am fine with it. I am still the best in my state, and that goes without question.

EDIT: OH SHIZ. DON'T HURT ME DREW.
I used Metaknight in a set against Paul and would have won if the stage didn't kill me barely lost to him. I've never used Metaknight outside a friendly match or two. I only went Metaknight because it meant I would win.

Willing to put money on that statement, Sinz?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
If the players are truly good, they can do well even without MetaKnight... assuming they've had time to devote to someone else. I'll be missing this. Not only is it far, but I also have a med school interview in Houston on Friday...

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman

WTF so a character is so good you think its better to ban him then learn the match up? Let me guess next thing you see marth and falco dominate the Brawl scene want to ban them to? Sounds like to me El Paso is to lazy to learn the match up.
As if everyone everywhere hasn't already tried that? No need to be insulting. If theres No MKers around here then why would it be better to just let the few MKs destroy us? We are not lazy beaners btw. We just feel a tourney would be awesome without half of the top being MKs XD.

MK is no where near Falco or Marth so using the "slippery slope" fallacy makes no sense.

Id like to see YOU do anything against Dojos MK.

Just saying =D

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Ok just clear up a few things a lot of us have picked up MK there is just a kind of soft ban here from the community because we all really don't like it how ever in a big tournament like this we would use him. We aren't really lazy about looking for ways to counter MK we actually did find one picking up MK.

Also a lot of things we say are just jokes on here. I don't expect you to count to 51 to see if someone gets banned lol. if you all read the brawl rules are SBR rules. I'm pretty sure chain grabs reach 300% before 50 throws anyways.

3 I'm not to sure on melee rules mind posting the SBR rules from 07 or what ever?

4. I have no doubles partner! Its gay because I'm the new guy from like 2 months ago so everyone has partners except me. Was pretty funny because I just show up and start ****** with Ike. Everyone was like omg the lower bottom of the tier list is good?!?!?!? we can't handle the truth.

5. I'll try a list of attendees and attendets but all I keep hearing is o we might come or 5 from blank are coming not actual names.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
Daimonster you comin' to this man? I think I have a shirt that belongs to you... or Melee1. Not sure.
Yeah.
I wonder how the MK-less results are gonna look :lick:
I only went Metaknight because it meant I would win.
Kash: 1- Keep the shirt...I let melee1 use it (it was mines) and he forgot about it. Keep my controller as well. IDC bout it much anymore.
2-Honestly, from watching you play. I believe you have the most potential out of the NM community. After much destruction of Jumpman 3-1 in a set...I can say that wolf is not a tournament viable character. Don't get it twisted, you can do well with him. However, that character does not have the moveset and strengths necessary to compete with many other *better characters. Jumpman's game is too strong and knows his character to the max. However, that alone was not enough to beat me (Used MK/Falco). Perhaps if I was using a more neutral matchup character...then yes he could stand a greater chance. There's only so much potential to be brought out from the character and hopefully you have recognized this already.

Fallenangemon: The tournament result will look like this:
1-G&W
2-D3
3-Snake/Diddy/Falco/Wario
4-Snake/Diddy/Falco/Wario
5-Snake/Diddy/Falco/Wario
6-Snake/Diddy/Falco/Wario
7-Lucario/Pikachu/Marth
8-Lucario/Pikachu/Marth
9-Lucario/Pikachu/Marth
10-Some mid tier char like-Toonlink, fox, ice climbers, Pit, Peach, Ike, Kirby

That is my prediction. Reason why I put the xx/xx/xx/xx is because I don't know what character order that higher skilled player will use.

Regarding El paso: I am 90% sure about not going to this tournament. I have already planned on attending HOBO12 (mk ban) and OhSnap in november. Attending this tournament is most likely pushing my smash/life limits. If HOBO12 did not exist, this tournament would be the place for me to go. I look MUCH forward to the next TMS. Again, sorry.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Kash: 1- Keep the shirt...I let melee1 use it (it was mines) and he forgot about it. Keep my controller as well. IDC bout it much anymore.
2-Honestly, from watching you play. I believe you have the most potential out of the NM community. After much destruction of Jumpman 3-1 in a set...I can say that wolf is not a tournament viable character. Don't get it twisted, you can do well with him. However, that character does not have the moveset and strengths necessary to compete with many other *better characters. Jumpman's game is too strong and knows his character to the max. However, that alone was not enough to beat me (Used MK/Falco). Perhaps if I was using a more neutral matchup character...then yes he could stand a greater chance. There's only so much potential to be brought out from the character and hopefully you have recognized this already.

1-G&W
2-D3
7-Lucario/Pikachu/Marth
8-Lucario/Pikachu/Marth
9-Lucario/Pikachu/Marth

That is my prediction. Reason why I put the xx/xx/xx/xx is because I don't know what character order that higher skilled player will use.

Regarding El paso: I am 90% sure about not going to this tournament. I have already planned on attending HOBO12 (mk ban) and OhSnap in november. Attending this tournament is most likely pushing my smash/life limits. If HOBO12 did not exist, this tournament would be the place for me to go. I look MUCH forward to the next TMS. Again, sorry.
Dont be suprised if Pit/Jigglypuff/Olimar/Falcon make it >_> seriously XD

='(

Dojo

Smash Champion

^^This for San Angelo as well.

Unless some random highly unlikely event occured to allow us to go I won't be there.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

1-G&W
2-D3
7-Lucario/Pikachu/Marth
8-Lucario/Pikachu/Marth
9-Lucario/Pikachu/Marth

Does this mean Damion thinks I will win? LOL.

Also, mabey SA can catch a ride with me or something >_>.

Dojo

Smash Champion
It's about an hour off your roadtrip down there and would add like 3 hours to your time. Also it would probably just be me if anything.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer

My intention is not to sound arrogant or hostile, but I feel obliged to say that you are a bit ignorant, if this post truly represents your thoughts on the MK situation.

The point in the "ban MK" experiment is not to QQ about how hard it is to learn how to beat him. Metaknight has 0 bad matchups, and 0 bad stages. Literally. 0. Not a single character counters him to any degree, and not a single stage can be used to even turn it into a 55-45 matchup against MK.

The inevitable result of allowing such a character in tournament play is that everyone eventually HAS to pick up MK to compete. That is bad for the community. No one will come if the game isn't fun, and tournaments become less and less fun as you completely remove from viability even VERY good characters like DDD, Falco, and ROB.

Personally, I think it's just BARELY too early for the SBR to call for a nationwide ban on the character. I want to see a few more tournaments with national draws before I'd be ready to vote for a all-out ban. But for now, we SBR folks are looking for a few dozen tournaments to ban him to see what happens.

We are looking at Ankoku's list, and comparing it to the no-MK version of Ankoku's list, which we are keeping separate. If we see a serious rise in the number of tournament viable characters, then the ban might just be the official SBR suggestion. If it really doesn't make a huge difference, then I imagine we wouldn't suggest a nationwide ban.

Please understand that this short description is a gross simplification of the process that we've been going through in the last 4 months or so.

Also, if you had been tracking the conversation over just the last 12 hours, you'd notice that I posted earlier that I'm not going to HOBO, and that we need stats from more than just 1 or 2 tournaments, spread across multiple states and regions.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
My intention is not to sound arrogant or hostile, but I feel obliged to say that you are a bit ignorant, if this post truly represents your thoughts on the MK situation.

The point in the "ban MK" experiment is not to QQ about how hard it is to learn how to beat him. Metaknight has 0 bad matchups, and 0 bad stages. Literally. 0. Not a single character counters him to any degree, and not a single stage can be used to even turn it into a 55-45 matchup against MK.

The inevitable result of allowing such a character in tournament play is that everyone eventually HAS to pick up MK to compete. That is bad for the community. No one will come if the game isn't fun, and tournaments become less and less fun as you completely remove from viability even VERY good characters like DDD, Falco, and ROB.

Personally, I think it's just BARELY too early for the SBR to call for a nationwide ban on the character. I want to see a few more tournaments with national draws before I'd be ready to vote for a all-out ban. But for now, we SBR folks are looking for a few dozen tournaments to ban him to see what happens.

We are looking at Ankoku's list, and comparing it to the no-MK version of Ankoku's list, which we are keeping separate. If we see a serious rise in the number of tournament viable characters, then the ban might just be the official SBR suggestion. If it really doesn't make a huge difference, then I imagine we wouldn't suggest a nationwide ban.

Please understand that this short description is a gross simplification of the process that we've been going through in the last 4 months or so.

Also, if you had been tracking the conversation over just the last 12 hours, you'd notice that I posted earlier that I'm not going to HOBO, and that we need stats from more than just 1 or 2 tournaments, spread across multiple states and regions.
He is right. We need tournaments like this that several states are attending to ban MK for good data. It allows for more variety in characters and players who aren't as familiar with others styles.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
It's about an hour off your roadtrip down there and would add like 3 hours to your time. Also it would probably just be me if anything.
Meet hylian on I-10 lol. Remember this tournout is expected to do amazing so i really encourage you to come to this. You really dont need money either

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
daimonster you should come to this tournament instead of hobo (runs from xyro) You've experienced hobo before haven't you? Its time to face off against us and some of the AZ NM people. We are getting good vibes from one of the sponsors and luis said he might get a 3rd one out side of the two I'm working on. Seems like I can get 500$ from each one of mine plus what ever luis gets.

Also Hylian find a way to drag sethlon here I keep inviting him on aim but hes like omg houston doesn't travel johns and no car.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
daimonster you should come to this tournament instead of hobo (runs from xyro) You've experienced hobo before haven't you? Its time to face off against us and some of the AZ NM people. We are getting good vibes from one of the sponsors and luis said he might get a 3rd one out side of the two I'm working on. Seems like I can get 500$ from each one of mine plus what ever luis gets.

Also Hylian find a way to drag sethlon here I keep inviting him on aim but hes like omg houston doesn't travel johns and no car.
Houston is in like... the exact opposite direction, lol. I'm gonna be in Houston that Friday, but I'd be insane to drive 11 hours to El Paso XD

Dojo

Smash Champion
Meet hylian on I-10 lol. Remember this tournout is expected to do amazing so i really encourage you to come to this. You really dont need money either
Lol it's about an hour and 15 away. Nobody's willing to drive me out there.
And I'm not leaving my car anywhere over there. It'll definitely be gone by the time I get back... or everything on it will...

I really want to go. But this is my situation

Hobo 12.
Expected to go.
I'll get a Dojo's scared because no MK thing going if I dont show. I know it... XD
Doesn't bother me but I want to see how I continue to compete with Roy and the rest with no MK.
Still need a ride. Me and Santi are both kind of doubtful on driving so idk what's gonna happen here.
Have to request the weekend off of work. No biggie.

This the next week.
I want to really bad but....
Trouble getting to the ride.
Have to request a 2nd weekend in a row from work. I've done it before.

OhSnap the NEXT week.
I've already been planning this for a while.
We have most of it setup so this is a for sure.
Have to request off of work AGAIN. 3 weekends is really pushing it.

Going 3 weekends in a row to smash tourneys also wouldn't fly with my parents very strong either unless I start bringing in some cash to cover all that time from work. Money is always needed for these. Gas/Food/Entry/Etc.

That's pushing my smash limits alot. And believe me I want to. I love going to tourneys, so I'm trying but it's tough living in such an isolated area from the rest of the smash community....

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Isolated? have you seen where EL Paso is. We have to travel 45+ hours in a plane to get to the nearest smash tournament.

Man dojo you should really come to this tournament I was so excited when I hear of all you guys coming and especially neocell since he started a santi fan club over here in El Paso.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Lol it's about an hour and 15 away. Nobody's willing to drive me out there.
And I'm not leaving my car anywhere over there. It'll definitely be gone by the time I get back... or everything on it will...

I really want to go. But this is my situation

Hobo 12.
Expected to go.
I'll get a Dojo's scared because no MK thing going if I dont show. I know it... XD
Doesn't bother me but I want to see how I continue to compete with Roy and the rest with no MK.
Still need a ride. Me and Santi are both kind of doubtful on driving so idk what's gonna happen here.
Have to request the weekend off of work. No biggie.

This the next week.
I want to really bad but....
Trouble getting to the ride.
Have to request a 2nd weekend in a row from work. I've done it before.

OhSnap the NEXT week.
I've already been planning this for a while.
We have most of it setup so this is a for sure.
Have to request off of work AGAIN. 3 weekends is really pushing it.

Going 3 weekends in a row to smash tourneys also wouldn't fly with my parents very strong either unless I start bringing in some cash to cover all that time from work. Money is always needed for these. Gas/Food/Entry/Etc.

That's pushing my smash limits alot. And believe me I want to. I love going to tourneys, so I'm trying but it's tough living in such an isolated area from the rest of the smash community....
No johns.

XD just kidding dude. I understand though. Sorry you can't make it.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
^badnewsbear you should come to the more people from that area the better! 10 hours is nothing just get 5 people and you drive 2 hours each.

Houston is in like... the exact opposite direction, lol. I'm gonna be in Houston that Friday, but I'd be insane to drive 11 hours to El Paso XD
You should come that way sethlon can get a ride since that bum doesn't have a car. (neither do I so people staying at my house your giving me a ride.)

Dojo once again really come to this tournament its no MK as well and we have something hobo doesn't. Real mexican food. Just think about it the tournament is called take our money. We are inviting you to come here and make money off us. then you can eat some world famous chicos tacos which actually sued this restaurant called chuchos tacos in dallas because they tried to steal there recipe and because this Mexican food isn't allowed more than 100FT from the Mexican border. So its free money and the food of your ancestors what does hobo have the same old people not using MK pfft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom