• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

El paso TMS - brawl/melee tournament Nov. 14th-16th (MK is banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Put me down for a full setup as well, burrito-man. I wanna play for freezie.

Angemon do a MM against hylian he's also doing RCMMs beware of his god tier luck though.

We did a random character doubles tournament, with random partners, and I got paired with NeedleofJuntah. He's one of the top 3 in the midwest, and top 3 G&Ws there is.

I swear he pulled G&W 4 times in 6 matches. I got metaknight twice, and never got a character that wasn't in my top 10.

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace

We did a random character doubles tournament, with random partners, and I got paired with NeedleofJuntah. He's one of the top 3 in the midwest, and top 3 G&Ws there is.

I swear he pulled G&W 4 times in 6 matches. I got metaknight twice, and never got a character that wasn't in my top 10.
if i can go, sign me up for full setup also. playing for free is so nice :)

edit: you guys do take lcd tv's for brawl right?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master

kool btw i changed it from both to 2 tournaments for free because when I wrote that it was going to be brawl 1v1 and 2v2 only. But actually from now on its only going to be one tournament for free because I don't want the low attendance tournaments to end up with to little money. Since you already said you where bringing one you get 2.

edit: ok you 2 get two tournaments for free but actually we don't because thats an HD tv isn't it? looks like one to me but idk about this stuff.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
I want to play with NOJ *cries a bit then comes back*
Nice to see more set-ups up, the more the people the more the set ups. Hopefully we can have 15+

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
ya, its an hd tv. i have no problems playing brawl on it though, havn't tryed melee tho. i know it has something to do with the fps but not 100% sure whats the big deal about it.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Hylian won't come if theres HD TVs I know there actually is lag in them people don't just say so because they don't like HD that would be stupid. try and get a regular TV though don't you have one in your house?

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
i would have one but my dad, he doesn't understand the concept of "backup's". he threw out my old 19inch tv when he bought the new hd tv for myself. he just gave it away to goodwill. i will try my best and look for a not hd or lcd tv if i can go.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Pools

Pools are a tournament mechanic used to form a hybrid of both round robins and brackets. What is done is all players are separated into groups called Pools. Each pool runs a round robin tournament within each other, and then the top X from each pool will move on to a regular bracket. (Or more rounds of pools, in some cases)

Note that Pools are typically only run in a sufficiently large tournament, not smaller ones.

Accuracy Pools drastically help to increase the accuracy of a large tournament. This is because the task of accurately seeding every player is not practical. With pools, one needs not seed every player, but rather only about 1 or two per pool, which is much more manageable.

The other effect is: self-seeding. Pools are a good way of matching player up against one another to detect any obvious and egregious oversights in the seeding process. For example, if an unknown player is actually highly skilled, he will have the opportunity to give himself a high bracket seed by placing well in pools. The seed going into the pools does not matter as much.

Time to Complete:

Let:
a = number of pools
b = number of people per pool
n = total number of people
k = efficiency coefficient
TV = number of TV's used

5kn(n-1) /TV (Round Robin formula)
5kb(b-1) /TV (Pool of b people)
a * 5kb(b-1) /TV("a" pools of b people each)
5kn(b-1) /TV (simplified)

5kn(b-1)/ TV

This is the formula to compute how long it will take to complete "a" number of pools, with total participants on n. As you would have guessed, it looks remarkably similar to the Round Robin formula.
Also can you guys tell me the time for the community collage tournament this weekend?

edit: take our money showdown I skipped the O because toms didn't sound as good.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
OOS would any one want to help by pool leaders?? we want a ref per tv just to make sure people report matches.

Arturo make sure you update the people that are coming and do make sure that 100+ locals might come.

**** you for putting me on attendets. I am probably more manly than everyone here cause i use captain falcon. Your just mad because my Falcon owns your ike every time aren't you? After i get done with these money matches i shall prove he is not the lowest on the tier list, even if its second to last.

Also xyro hasn't answered to our talking smack cause he has been banned lol. for 2 weeks

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yes, I need housing.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
HD-TV's definitely produce a few frames of lag. It's hard to notice if that's the only tv you play on, but when you go back and forth between the two, it DRASTICALLY messes with your timing. There's no way we should allow any HD-TV's to be used for tournament games, even in pools.

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
But most non HD tvs are so... HEAVY... and ugly... Well so far we only have 1 that is set to be used. If we can get more people bringing setups we won't have to rely on it.

Somebody do that Cinnamon Match I heard about. I want to see someone O.D. on some Cinnamomum verum.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
alright make sure you bring sleeping bags because only 5-7 (depending on how you want to share) of you are getting beds and then theres 2 sofas. I'll see if I can borrow an inflatable matters but its better if you all bring your own stuff.

error13

Smash Journeyman
I call a bed.
hylian your staying with me
because im sure duffman and everyone else
wants to play some matches while at a house

thats why i asked him arturo! heh

and arturo lives like 45 minutes from the place we're playing at
along with 45 minutes away any of us......

and i live like 4 minutes away from everyone
and the place we're playing at (no exageration)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't care where I stay, but less travel time would be better.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
hylian your staying with me
because im sure duffman and everyone else
wants to play some matches while at a house

thats why i asked him arturo! heh

and arturo lives like 45 minutes from the place we're playing at
along with 45 minutes away any of us......

and i live like 4 minutes away from everyone
and the place we're playing at (no exageration)

Hylian staying at richards house!?!?!?!?!!?

anyone else see this ending in severe hatred and disaster? :lick:

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
five words that i know everyone
has thought at least a million times
since this thread opened

STFU Anthony :mad: + :laugh:
3 Words that no one ever seems to remember when reading something with a " :lick: " next to it...

Why so serious?

Seriously, that was just mean. :ohwell:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom