• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EGL Washington, DC - Jan 19-21st

Chuckles

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the late reply, here are the answers to everyone's questions.

• Vistitor passes are allowed to play casuals
  • Spectator passes allow you to play fun for all
  • We are no longer doing DOA4 tournaments
  • To have a guarunteed spot in the tournament, you must register online. So PLEASE register online. It allows EGL to have brackets ready and seeded by region/power rank. The tournament will run smoother and both EGL and the smash community will be very happy !!
  • Smash will have approx 4 stations. for Tournament play. No casual matches during the tournament.
  • Smash Casuals will be availble before and after the tournament on Saturday. Also all day fri+sun.

If I missed anyone's questions, please re-post up and ask me again. I was gone over the weekend, and unfortunatly everyone wants to know details, details, DETAILS !!!

I would like to thank everyone for their paitence. Everyone's support for this event is truley amazing. We are extreamly excited for this event, and we can't wait to meet the community.

I will be back answering questions everyday. Feel free to post up anymore questions/comments/concerns.

Mike.
One more question mike. When you buy the SIngles pass for smash does that work for watching all halo matches too? or do you have to buy a spectators pass?

g-regulate

Smash Hero
if this tourney only has 4 stations, it will literally last 12 hours. smashers can bring setups, it will only make everything go more smoothly

Chuckles

Smash Apprentice
if this tourney only has 4 stations, it will literally last 12 hours. smashers can bring setups, it will only make everything go more smoothly
We got time g-reg. lol Well. Maybe by stations he meant 4 cubes a station.... idk. probably not. But idk you think EGL being all professional and what not, will let you bring in your own cube?

g-regulate

Smash Hero
We got time g-reg. lol Well. Maybe by stations he meant 4 cubes a station.... idk. probably not. But idk you think EGL being all professional and what not, will let you bring in your own cube?
i mean, they may have rules against it.... but those rules will only work against them, as it will probably double the length of the tournament, and make lots of people sit around for most of the day, instead of actually playing the game. people hate sitting around doing nothing and watching for hours inbetween matches.

Zero34

Smash Lord
greg's right, four stations will take ridiculously long

i hope i can make it but right now it's like a 25% chance of going. not to mention fee is a tad high if i wanna play teams and singles

Chuckles

Smash Apprentice
i mean, they may have rules against it.... but those rules will only work against them, as it will probably double the length of the tournament, and make lots of people sit around for most of the day, instead of actually playing the game. people hate sitting around doing nothing and watching for hours inbetween matches.

An idle mind is the devils playground. Sooo That being said, there is gonna be a huge riot at EGlDC. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN AN ANGRY MOB OF SMASHERS!! Its not pretty.

Anyways. If they dont let us use cubes for the actual tournement they should at least let us bring our own tvs and cubes and set em up on the side.

EGL Mike

Smash Rookie
Sorry, you can not bring your own stations. The reason being is because EGL was formality with the equipment. I understand everyone's concern. If EGL receives a large amount of Online Registrations, then they will be able to purchase more equipment in preperation of a larger crowd.

hova

Smash Champion
potentially longest tourney eeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr

i'm bringing a tent to sleep in between matches

Aero

Smash Journeyman
Wow... what a massive disappointment.

@ EGL: Please reconsider your decision. At most tournaments I can expect at least eight setups, and even then, I'm still wishing there were more.

PS: It's news like this that makes online registration that less appealing...

Vist

Smash Champion
Looks like theres a chance i cant make it to this since i'm reaaaally broke atm. i really hope i can make it b/c i wanted to prove to ppl that i don't just get lucky when i do well..

EGL mike- How many online registrations would it take to get the egl to consider buying more equipment for smash?

4 set-ups is going to be ugly....=/

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Looks like theres a chance i cant make it to this since i'm reaaaally broke atm. i really hope i can make it b/c i wanted to prove to ppl that i don't just get lucky when i do well..

EGL mike- How many online registrations would it take to get the egl to consider buying more equipment for smash?

4 set-ups is going to be ugly....=/
Vist, we all know how good you are. Pools seem to screw the both of us over a lot, no worries man =)

But with 4 setups I'm gonna have to say no, as much as I love conversing.

TAK$

Smash Ace
yeah 4 set-ups is lame, which is why i'm gonna spend the majority of the day playing w/ redd then going to the tourny saturday, if i end up going on friday it'll be later.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lets assume 64 people show up, which is likely considering CCX, C3, and NOD3 all get similar numbers (and they all provide around 10 setups, if not more).

Lets assume these people are devided into 8 pools of 8 players each.

An 8 man pool with one tv will typically take between one and a half to two and a half hours to complete, depending on how quickly matches go (having people on standby eliviates some of the problems/wait).

Assuming the middle ground, at two hours a piece, pools will be finished after 4 hours, minimum, this is disregarding the time it takes to set up another pool after a first pool finishes.

Bracket time!

A 32 man bracket will typically take around four hours to go through, start to finish. Most people consider it to take around three hours but this is often disregarding the semifinals and finals. Consider that by the semifinal point you will only need 2-3 tvs depending on how much the participants in the tournament still want to practice.

Either way, if this were to run flawlessly than this tournament should take (with 64 people) around 8 hours to complete. Considering this is EGL's first time running a Smash tournament and because there may only be 4 setups I would expect it to run in the neighborhood of 10-14 hours. 4 setups essentially means no free play at all as well.

Most Smashfests, that get anywhere from 10-30 people, have at least half a dozen tvs.

These are all things to keep in mind, I don't want things to go unexpectedly.

Also, this is all disregarding doubles, but for doubles you can ussually cut the time in half and there are usually fewer teams as there are single entrants (IE if you get 100 people for singles, you will not get 50 teams, maybe something like 40 or 45 tops).

Wife

Smash Lord
I was so very excited about this tournament this weekend. I was looking at EGL with optimism, and I wanted to endorse it.
But four set-ups . . . I'm sorry but it instantly kills the tournament.
I realize a league comes with rules and it isn't your fault, but you can't run a smash tourny in this region with 4 set-ups. It's quite impossible. Running one on 12-15 tvs isn't easy, and generally takes the whole day.

Thanks for the effort anyway.

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
I'm going simply for experience. The people I play expect alot from me and I need to play more. Tired of getting my *** beat by top 10-15 players from both states. I want to go toe to toe with you guys consistantly and right now I'm so inconsistant when fighting it drives me nuts and need experience to do so. Compared to those guys I suck, kinda of a downer for me too.

Four set ups though... is just some bull man... you need to get like, 15 more.

Jayo

Smash Apprentice
EGL!!!!!.....i'm tryin get up there n play da best to be da best AND "PUSH IT TO DA LIMIT"...

If anything i'll at least be at da free-play friday event...

NOBODY knows who da fc*k JAYO isss, neither do I, but you shall...might get my @$$ whopped

BUT

you'll remember how tender n soft it was...I guarantee it

HAHA

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I was so very excited about this tournament this weekend. I was looking at EGL with optimism, and I wanted to endorse it.
But four set-ups . . . I'm sorry but it instantly kills the tournament.
I realize a league comes with rules and it isn't your fault, but you can't run a smash tourny in this region with 4 set-ups. It's quite impossible. Running one on 12-15 tvs isn't easy, and generally takes the whole day.

Thanks for the effort anyway.
i agree fully

EGL Mike

Smash Rookie
There needs to be atleast 32 online registrants for me to get EGL to purchase 8 set-ups. I already talked to the CEO, and that is what he said personally. I already explained to him everyone's concerns, however, that is his final decision.

Mike

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think everyone possible should show up for the tournament and they should bring their own setups regardless of what EGL wants. We all know as a Smash community it is highly unlikely people will preregister, so just show up, bring set ups, and what are they gonna do, say you cant use them when there are 60 people trying to play singles on 4 tvs.

Guys, give EGL a chance, all you need to do is bring your own setups, and by next tournament they will understand and have more setups.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
you can't just disobey their direct orders, if they only want 4 setups it's rude to go into a venue someone else is providing and trying to force your way in/take up more slots than alotted.

What it comes down to in reality is more than 32 people are going to come, pre-registered or not, if there are at least 8 setups. With 4, however, i doubt you'll get even 32, people don't want to wait hours between matches. It shouldn't matter whether or not they pre-register, but as far as i can tell it's not your decision. Good luck anyway to everyone who attends ^.^

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Plairnkk: I think its rude to only have 4 setups, better to bring them and have them not be used then to have 32 or 64 people show up and only have 4 setups and everyone get pissed off. There is nothing to lose by bring setups, at worst they dont get used, at best the people who show up actually have something to play on. 4 tvs is good for about...10 people, maybe 20. This isn't DOA.

aho43

Smash Lord
i'm going to this anyways. see ya guys there. i'll take my setups and keep them in my car, maybe the staff will have a change of heart. if theyd like ill sign a liability waiver in the instance that my stuff gets stolen. ill just hang around my stuff and make sure no one takes anything.

Aero

Smash Journeyman
everyone else should follow aho's example and bring some setups... its at times like these that i really wish i had mini tv's of my own that i could bring to places...

me/tin/5%/fob are all going, but EGL, we are angry

aho43

Smash Lord
everyone else should follow aho's example and bring some setups... its at times like these that i really wish i had mini tv's of my own that i could bring to places...

me/tin/5%/fob are all going, but EGL, we are angry
I got mine on craigslist and ebay for around 20 bucks each, definitely a good investment. Just look around and wait patiently and take advantage of the opportunity when it arises.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
I'm bringing a setup. Whether it gets used on the floor or it goes in my hotel room for the duration is up to EGL. I don't need a waiver or anything. Seriously, just give us the go-ahead EGL and we can make this tournament manageable.

TAK$

Smash Ace
i'm going to this anyways. see ya guys there. i'll take my setups and keep them in my car, maybe the staff will have a change of heart. if theyd like ill sign a liability waiver in the instance that my stuff gets stolen. ill just hang around my stuff and make sure no one takes anything.
hey aho, i'm gonna bring some of my setups also (1-2ish). but i'm probly gonna get dropped off so i wont have anywhere to put them, any room in your car? =D

aho43

Smash Lord
Tak$, unless they're really small TVs, no. i have a leather interior, dont wanna scratch that ****. :(, if they're small thats ok, just bring like a sheet to wrap around it. by small i mean like less than 20". the tvs i have are both 13". Um, there might be other people whos cars you could store it in, Fonz?

Anyone from EG LEAGUE: If I were willing to sign a liability waiver contract, freeing EGL of any liability should my equipment be stolen/broken, would me/others bringing TVs be ok? You are going to have a tough time with preregistration, and in my estimates wont get 32+ preregs. But I guarantee you over 32 will show on the day of.

TAK$

Smash Ace
yeah mine are all small, not the bigger one i usually bring, i'll bug fonz if he dosent reply, so lemme know whats up.

edit: it's 18 inches tall, 20 inches wide, 17 inches from front to back

Top Bottom