• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EGL Washington, DC - Jan 19-21st

Vist

Smash Champion
First, I would just like to mention that I am in no way affiliated with EGL. I thought it might be a good idea to make a separate thread for the first EGL smash event: EGL DC. I'm hoping that this event, for the sake of the smash community, could turn out nicely despite some the negativity EGL has been given so far. This event has a lot of potential to be one of the biggest tournaments in the MD/VA area for a while. This area has tons of talented smashers and will be a good opportunity for OOS smashers to bring their A-game to the country's arguably best region.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, post here in the thread or PM EGL Mike directly, as he is the EGL representative here on the smashboards. He is working with EGL for the smash bros. part of the event, so most questions should be directed to him first. More information about EGL can be found at the EGL website: http://www.theegleague.com/
or you can contact the organizer, Jay, through AIM- TheEGLeague

Also, you can check out the other thread which announced EGL's smash debut here:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92295

*NOTE* From what was said in Amoraski's thread, the tournament schedule and prizes may change depending on the turnout.

******************New info regarding FAQs********************
- Spectator Passes can be purchased for anyone who wishes to attend the event but does not wish to enter any of the tournaments. You can play in the Fun-for-All on friday or any other free play separate from the tournament.

- You can bring your own TV/Cube Set-ups if you wish to do so. If EGL uses your set-up, you will be compensated.

Hotel and Tournament Venue Info:

Venue Information:
Sheraton Reston
11810 Sunrise Valley Dr
Reston, VA 20191

Hotel Information:

Sheraton Reston
11810 Sunrise Valley Dr
Reston, VA 20191
Reservations:
Phone: (703) 620-9000
Room Rate: $79.95

YOU MUST SAY YOU ARE WITH ELECTRONIC GAMING LEAGUE TO GET THE ROOM RATE!

Airport Information:
Dulles International Airport (IAD) Total Estimated Distance: 2.65 miles

Entry Fee
Singles- $20
Doubles- $20 ($10 per person)

Prizes

SSBM Doubles
1st: $450
2nd: $175
3rd: $50

SSBM Singles
1st: $450
2nd: $175
3rd: $50

Schedule

Friday January 19th:

Fun For All (No tournament play this day)

Saturday January 20th:

8:00 - 10:00am Sign In

1:00 - 3:00pm Super Smash Bro's (This will most likely be changed/disregarded)

Sunday January 21st:

Halo 2

General Rules and Regulations

2. During scheduled warm-up periods the winner stays and the loser must get up.
3. If a player or team doesn't show up on time for their match, they will be given a 5 minute grace period before it will go down as a forfeit.
4. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.
5. A staff member will record each game's results so no reporting of scores by players is necessary.
6. All decisions made by tournament officials are final.
7. Players must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Permanent ejection of a player from the tournament is at the staff's discretion.
8. Spectators may not communicate with a player while he or she is competing. Breaking this rule will result in a warning. A second violation will result in ejection of the spectator and forfeit of the game.
9. Any intentional forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate the rankings/brackets will result in ejection and possible suspension from future tournaments.
10. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game.
11. Players must report to their station immediately after their match is announced. If after 5 minutes, a player/team has not reported to their station they will forfeit the match.

Controllers

1. You are responsible for bringing your own controller.
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

Open Competitions

1. The Singles competition will start with Pool Play. All players with rank points will be separated into the pools. All remaining players will be randomly separated into the pools. The top 2 players from each pool will advance to the Singles bracket.
2. The Singles will be a Best of 3 Game Series, Double Elimination Bracket. When 16 players remain (8 Winners Bracket & 8 Losers Bracket), the Singles will end and each player will earn a spot in the Championship Singles.
3. Players will be seeded for the bracket based first on their pool play performance. Ties will be broken first by Singles rank points, then by performance at the most recent event, and then by Doubles rank points.
4. The Doubles competition will consist of Pool Play only. All teams with rank points will be separated into the pools. All remaining teams will be randomly separated into the pools.
5. Each player/team will play 2 games against all other players/teams in their pool. Scores will be recorded and used to rank players for the Elimination Bracket. Any ties for advancing positions will be broken by a single tiebreaker game.
6. For each game of a pool play match, the stage will be selected at random from the list of Random Select stages. Each player can eliminate 1 stage from the list of possibilities.
7. The Singles bracket will be a best of 3 games series, double elimination bracket.
8. After losing a series, teams will fall into the Losers Bracket.
9. A loss in the Losers Bracket will result in elimination from the competition.
10. Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
11. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
12. Items will be turned off.

Stage & Character Selection

1. The higher seed has first choice for their seat(s) and controller port(s). The higher seeded team has first choice for their team color. Teams must sit together on one side or the other. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in the Championship Bracket, the winner of the 1st series will have seat and controller choice.
2. The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage. After the stage has been randomly selected each player/team may call for a reset. Each player/team can only call for a reset once during a series. If a reset is called, another stage must be randomly selected. The stage that was first selected can't be randomly selected again, but is still available for a counter pick.
3. Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium
4. Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium, DK64
5. Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.
6. Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2
7. Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City
8. Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett.
9. No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3 or Best of 5 Series. The random select stages are the only stages that may be used more than once in a best of 11 series.
10. After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out.
11. After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.
12. For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.
13. During Championship Bracket competitions, players may ask for a double-blind pick during games four and five of a series. Players must call for the pick after the loser of the previous game has chosen the next game's stage.
14. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in the Championship Bracket, their series will expand to a best of 11, include the previous series, and pick up where that series left off. For example, if Player A beat Player B 3 games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 11 will resume with Game 4 and Player leading 3 games to 0. The loser of the 1st series will choose the stage for the 1st game of the 2nd series and players may call for a double-blind pick before any game throughout the best of 11.
15. If the players/teams meeting in the Championship Match have not yet faced each other in a series and the team coming from the Losers Bracket wins first series, another series must be played to break the tie since both players/teams would only have one series loss.

Other Rules & Special Issues

1. Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game.
2. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
3. Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.
4. Players/teams may designate a coach when they register for a competition, however, this coach may not be registered as a player for either a Singles or Doubles competition. Coaches may not instruct players during games, but may consult with players for a maximum of 1 minute between games. Once the stage for the next game has been selected, players may not talk to their coach.
5. For Doubles matches, Team Attack is ON
6. For Doubles matches, life stealing is allowed

There is also a minor consent form for anyone age 13 or younger. If this form applies to you, visit the link to the form here: http://www.theegleague.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=38

EGL Mike

Smash Rookie
Vist - Thank you for posting up the EGL DC event on smash boards. My name is EGL Mike, and I am working with EGL for the smash bros section of the event.

Any players who have any concerns or questions, please feel free to post up, or PM me on this site. I am available all the time to answer anyone. I will be checking this thread a few times a day as well.

EGL looks forward to the DC event. We are extreamly excited to add smash !

Also, we at EGL , ENCOURAGE ONLINE REGISTRATION. It helps us as tournament organizers by letting us know who is coming, etc etc. Please following this link to register online from the official EGL site !

http://www.egleague.com/gaming_pass_

I can't wait for this event. May the new year bring a new relationshio with the Smash community and EGL !!!

Mike

hova

Smash Champion
u know what would be tight, if i could get a free slurpee or something for registering online

*bump*

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
What's the chance of there not being a spot for me to enter in if I don't register online? This thing is only thirty minutes from my house so I'll try to come.

Vist

Smash Champion
Vist - Thank you for posting up the EGL DC event on smash boards. My name is EGL Mike, and I am working with EGL for the smash bros section of the event..
Glad to see an EGL representative here on the boards. If there's anything you might want to me to add/change with this thread, just let me know.

I know there's still a bunch of local smashers who will most likely end up attending this but have yet to post here etc. Post up if you haven't already and soon enough there will be a snowball effect on the attendance

Aero

Smash Journeyman
I'll be there, probably with the people I usually come with (FOB, 5%, Tin). Sounds like fun.

EGL Mike

Smash Rookie
What's the chance of there not being a spot for me to enter in if I don't register online? This thing is only thirty minutes from my house so I'll try to come.

Chances are no, however you never know. Like I said, it helps EGL with setting up the tournament in advance, so the players wont have to waste time. The tournament can start on time, and everyone is happy.

Vist - No problem, thanks, I will PM you if need. However , you did a great job with the initial post!!!!!

EGL Mike

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
So whats the limit on how many smashers can come if there is any ?

cause if you dont register you dont get a spot ? 0.o

somewhat confuzzled =p

Nurok

Smash Lord
maybe ill come with my amazing Halo 2 brother.
gets like ****ing 24 kills every 50 kill round.
I might come....

EGL Mike

Smash Rookie
So whats the limit on how many smashers can come if there is any ?

cause if you dont register you dont get a spot ? 0.o

somewhat confuzzled =p

ChoasKnight - Its not a matter of a cap per se, we just want to encourage online registration. Like I said, more than likely, your at the door registration will not be denied, but at the same time, when the tournament takes an extra hour to start, we don't want anyone being mad at us.

Futhermore, even tho we have ran local smash tournaments ourselves, this is our first Smash tournament as the 'EGL'. Our main focus is having as less problems as possible, and to make everyone happy. Everyone has to understand that we will have rules. Registration online, is a huge factor. We appreciate everyone who cooperates.

Lastly, I'm not sure if I will be online for the rest of the day. EGL would like to wish everyone in the Smash Boards community a Happy New Year !

Mike.

Vist

Smash Champion
Looks like this is getting some good response, keep it up guys.

chillin- how come you're not teaming with Azen? or rather, what is Azen fuxing with?

hova

Smash Champion
how are u guys going to seed/divide the pools???

i think that is something that should be discussed seeing as there is no previous smash history in ur league

i'd just hate to see a good player get stuck in a ccxish death pool

g-regulate

Smash Hero
how are u guys going to seed/divide the pools???

i think that is something that should be discussed seeing as there is no previous smash history in ur league

i'd just hate to see a good player get stuck in a ccxish death pool
things will be handled

EDIT: I'm ****ing g-regulate

Wife

Smash Lord
Weds would like to come to this. Might have to choose between this or gauntlet, and considering gauntlets get cancelled like 37% of the time . . .

Also, EGL, do you plan on carrying Smash like a seasonal thing, the way MLG does it? Are you hoping to compete with MLG someday?

EGL Mike

Smash Rookie
Weds would like to come to this. Might have to choose between this or gauntlet, and considering gauntlets get cancelled like 37% of the time . . .

Also, EGL, do you plan on carrying Smash like a seasonal thing, the way MLG does it? Are you hoping to compete with MLG someday?

Wife - Yes, EGL plans on carrying smash for our tour. We hope to build some brand name reconition for the later part of Smash Melee, and when Brawl comes out, EGL will become bigger, and can offer prizes larger prizes.

As far as competing w/ MLG. Yes and No. Not all competition is bad. If there are 2 or maybe 3 mega console leagues all offering large prize money each month, that is only good for the players. EGL feels there are still more and more players finding out about the competitive scene, so I doubt Smash or console gaming as a whole as even peaked yet.

I hope I answered your question.

I would also like to remind players to PLEASE REGISTER ONLINE !!! Once you are set on coming, just click on www.theegleague.com and click REGISTER for the Washington DC event !!!

Lastly, as far as seeding, I know a good percentage of the scene, however, I will be asking someone to help me with seeding and what not. G-Regulate , what do you say?

Mike.

aho43

Smash Lord
EGL Mike, do you have a policy regarding people bringing their own setups? I have a few TVs that I'd like to bring in addition to my Gamecube. More stations the merrier, imo. MLG has a problem with volunteered TVs but I don't see why. It can only make it run smoother.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
I have never been to a tournament before, so I would like to go to this. It may be a good chance to get more human experience... If I do go, I already know my nerves will be shot while playing... I mean, I'm getting all nervous just thinking about going.

A question about the January 19th thing... Is that just Halo 2 or is it also going to be SSBM?

EGL Mike

Smash Rookie
Jan 19th, is for Smash as well.

Doubles is $20 total, IE, $10 per person.

Any more questions, feel free to post up !!!!1

Mike.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
k i read up the web page. it says that friday is "fun for all". does that just mean that everyone entering the tourney can come and play/practice all night, and then come back for the real tourney on saturday?

Vist

Smash Champion
updated the first post a bit with the entry fees and schedule.

I'm getting pumped for this...it's less than 2 weeks away

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Just a quick note to Smash players that are ranked as professionals on the MLG circuit, according to your contracts if this event will be broadcast over the web or on Tv or your image is going to be used in any way to promote EGL, you need to contact the league commissioner's office for a waiver before you can compete. That is outlined in your Pro Players Association Contract.

Assuming you guys get your waiver, I hope to see our MLG pros kicking some smassh that weekend. I might even make the drive up to see you guys in action.

The Cape

Smash Master
I might be coming, anyone want to team?

Otherwise I will prob just get a visitor pass and hang around.

EGL Mike, are those with visitors passes allowed to play at all?

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
Are the spectators passes good for playing in the fun for all? Will there be any free play on saturday and sunday? If so will it just be for people registered in the tournaments or will it include people with spectators passes? And will there be free play during the tournaments on the spare TVs? About how many TVs are going to be for the Smash Bros?

Top Bottom