• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 Rumor/Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Squirtle and Ivysaur are gone. On their own, they're just random Pokemon characters. And they take up two more slots, which is way too much for one series.
Saying that a character is outright cut, given the information that we know is completely ignorant. They aren't random pokemon characters either, they're two of the most iconic pokemon ever being starters from the most successful Pokemon games of all time.

Brawl nearly had 8 playable Pokemon (6 made it, 2 were in the forbidden seven). Given that the roster was intended to be roughly 46 characters in Brawl, and 8 of them were to be Pokemon, I don't see how we would expect less than 7 this time around (most people are guessing this roster will be around 50). Could they be cut? Potentially, anything can happen. But given what we know, and going by what Sakurai has said. It's unlikely.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Saying that a character is outright cut, given the information that we know is completely ignorant. They aren't random pokemon characters either, they're two of the most iconic pokemon ever being starters from the most successful Pokemon games of all time.

Brawl nearly had 8 playable Pokemon (6 made it, 2 were in the forbidden seven). Given that the roster was intended to be roughly 46 characters in Brawl, and 8 of them were to be Pokemon, I don't see how we would expect less than 7 this time around (most people are guessing this roster will be around 50). Could they be cut? Potentially, anything can happen. But given what we know, and going by what Sakurai has said. It's unlikely.
Well ok it's not completely 100% disconfirmed, but you should prepare for disappointment for those characters.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
I called this on the "Possible Newcomers and Veterans reveals at E3." thread on Monday, and I ain't getting recognition for it!
"

This picture was posted on the official Super Smash Brothers Facebook page. Look at Pikachu, Kirby, and Sonic.
>Pikachu's ears overlap its border.

>Kirby's foot overlaps his border.

>Sonic's foot overlap's his border.

Two Pokemon, a Kirby rep, and third-party rep confirmed for E3."
If this is true I don't expect the 3rd party to be Tails, I expect Pac Man.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Well ok it's not completely 100% disconfirmed, but you should prepare for disappointment for those characters.
They're no more likely to be cut than any other Brawl newcomer, quite frankly. We've seen Ike return when he could have been replaced by a newer character, we've seen Olimar return when he could have been replaced by Alph, we've seen a one-shot Zelda character return, we've seen Samus return wearing a different costume, we've seen a second Link return, and we've had a direct confirmations from Sakurai that: A , we won't be getting as many newcomers in this game as we did in Brawl. And B, he wants to bring back everyone from Brawl.

Like I said, potentially we could see cuts, but it's looking unlikely.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
Yeah, I'm just going to call bull.

I've noticed a trend. In all of these picture 'leaks', Reggie, Shulk, Tails, that the person taking the picture only ever takes an EXTREME CLOSEUP of the character and nothing else. At least the Palutena leak had Mario in it.

I think the majority of people would believe them more if they weren't always closeups.
Not to mention all of these picture leaks are always against a blue sky.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
If this is true I don't expect the 3rd party to be Tails, I expect Pac Man.
I curious to see if namco gets a rep and if it'll be pacman. It almost seems too obvious. Like I've said before, they could bait and switch and lead us to think we're getting pacman and then bam digdug.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I curious to see if namco gets a rep and if it'll be pacman. It almost seems too obvious. Like I've said before, they could bait and switch and lead us to think we're getting pacman and then bam digdug.
I sincerely doubt that they'd sacrifice the chance to put the most iconic video game character of all time in, just to surprise people.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
So if Nintendo, Konami, SEGA, Capcom, and Namco-Bandai all have a character in, that's all of the classic companies, right? Besides Atari, but that's not gonna happen.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
So if Nintendo, Konami, SEGA, Capcom, and Namco-Bandai all have a character in, that's all of the classic companies, right? Besides Atari, but that's not gonna happen.
LucasArts, Rareware (they kinda have Diddy but he's owned by Nintendo so he's not really a Rareware character), Square, Disney.

There may be one or two more.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Oh yeah, forgot about Square Enix. They've also got the rights to things like Space Invaders, Bubble Bobble, Tomb Raider.
I feel like Sora could be a good rep for Square Enix since a lot of the Kingdom Hearts games are Nintendo systems, but with Kingdom Hearts 3 not coming to Wii U and the strong Disney presence in the games I just don't see that happening. Maybe someone for Bravely Default.

Last edited:

Prototype

Smash Apprentice
I called this on the "Possible Newcomers and Veterans reveals at E3." thread on Monday, and I ain't getting recognition for it!
"

This picture was posted on the official Super Smash Brothers Facebook page. Look at Pikachu, Kirby, and Sonic.
>Pikachu's ears overlap its border.

>Kirby's foot overlaps his border.

>Sonic's foot overlap's his border.

Two Pokemon, a Kirby rep, and third-party rep confirmed for E3."
In the Invitational Video, Pikachu, Kirby, Olimar & Sonic all overlap their borders.
I'm (pretty) sure it's completely aesthetic.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
They're no more likely to be cut than any other Brawl newcomer, quite frankly. We've seen Ike return when he could have been replaced by a newer character, we've seen Olimar return when he could have been replaced by Alph, we've seen a one-shot Zelda character return, we've seen Samus return wearing a different costume, we've seen a second Link return, and we've had a direct confirmations from Sakurai that: A , we won't be getting as many newcomers in this game as we did in Brawl. And B, he wants to bring back everyone from Brawl.

Like I said, potentially we could see cuts, but it's looking unlikely.
Ike was in Radiant Dawn, a Wii game, and just because Ike is in doesn't mean Chrom can't be. Olimar wouldn't be replaced by Alph, Sheik has been in Smash since Melee and also appeared in Ocarina of Time 3D... I don't think you understand why characters are added. Squirtle and Ivysaur have no relevance and are just random Pokemon with no real identity as a "character". Meanwhile Charizard and Greninja are arguably the most popular Pokemon in Gen 1 and Gen 6 respectively.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Ike was in Radiant Dawn, a Wii game, and just because Ike is in doesn't mean Chrom can't be. Olimar wouldn't be replaced by Alph, Sheik has been in Smash since Melee and also appeared in Ocarina of Time 3D... I don't think you understand why characters are added. Squirtle and Ivysaur have no relevance and are just random Pokemon with no real identity as a "character". Meanwhile Charizard and Greninja are arguably the most popular Pokemon in Gen 1 and Gen 6 respectively.
Sakurai considered replacing Ness with Lucas, so Ike and Olimar were fair game to be replaced really, at least going by the logic of cuts/replacements. OOT3D was a port, she's still a one-shot Zelda character.

Again, Squirtle and Ivysaur are not just "random Pokemon", they're popular, unique and among the most iconic Pokemon ever.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Sakurai considered replacing Ness with Lucas, so Ike and Olimar were fair game to be replaced really, at least going by the logic of cuts/replacements. OOT3D was a port, she's still a one-shot Zelda character.

Again, Squirtle and Ivysaur are not just "random Pokemon", they're popular, unique and among the most iconic Pokemon ever.
Does gen 1 really need FIVE reps? As for Lucas, Sakurai considered replacing him back in Melee, when Ness had only been in one game previous to that. You're using Sheik's "irrelevence" to justify adding two more odd Pokemon characters, even though Sheik used to be just one of Zelda's moves and was added in SSB4 because she is iconic to Smash, just like Ness is. Lucas doesn't have that. Squirtle and Ivysaur don't have that. Olimar is a better representative to the Pikmin series than Alph because he was in all three games, as opposed to just one.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Does gen 1 really need FIVE reps? As for Lucas, Sakurai considered replacing him back in Melee, when Ness had only been in one game previous to that. You're using Sheik's "irrelevence" to justify adding two more odd Pokemon characters, even though Sheik used to be just one of Zelda's moves and was added in SSB4 because she is iconic to Smash, just like Ness is. Lucas doesn't have that. Squirtle and Ivysaur don't have that. Olimar is a better representative to the Pikmin series than Alph because he was in all three games, as opposed to just one.
Olimar's representation in Pikmin 3 was almost non-existent. If they were worried about representing the modern stuff over the classic stuff, then Olimar and Ike would be gone.

And Pokemon nearly had 6 1st Gen reps in Brawl (Pikachu, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo). Naturally, Gen 1 will always get the most amount of representation because it's the most popular, and contains the majority of the most iconic and most popular pokemon. And again, you calling them odd doesn't make it so. They were more relevant to X/Y than Olimar was to Pikmin 3.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Olimar's representation in Pikmin 3 was almost non-existent. If they were worried about representing the modern stuff over the classic stuff, then Olimar and Ike would be gone.

And Pokemon nearly had 6 1st Gen reps in Brawl (Pikachu, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo). Naturally, Gen 1 will always get the most amount of representation because it's the most popular, and contains the majority of the most iconic and most popular pokemon. And again, you calling them odd doesn't make it so. They were more relevant to X/Y than Olimar was to Pikmin 3.
"Squirtle and Ivysaur are more relevant to XY than Olimar was to Pikmin 3" Have you even played Pikmin 3? As soon as you get halfway through the game it's all about Olimar and what happened to him, basically for the rest of the game.

If we're talking about them as two separate characters here, Squirtle is a bit more likely than Ivysaur. I mean, Ivysaur? Why not Venusaur or Bulbasaur? Ivysaur seems like a strange choice. The only reason he was playable in Brawl is because Pokemon Trainer represented both the starters AND evolution. There is one more thing you're not looking at, if Squirtle and Ivysaur are playable in SSB4, why were they not revealed alongside Charizard? Especially in a Direct that focused on different character forms (Sheik, ZSS). In fact if all three were playable I'd say Squirtle would be the first one to be revealed if they were doing them at different times. Greninja also lowered Squirtle's chances because we already have a Water-type starter now.

If they were to be added, it would have to be as a last-minute addition, and even then it would probably just be Squirtle. I'm thinking the chances of this happening are about 1%.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
"Squirtle and Ivysaur are more relevant to XY than Olimar was to Pikmin 3" Have you even played Pikmin 3? As soon as you get halfway through the game it's all about Olimar and what happened to him, basically for the rest of the game.

If we're talking about them as two separate characters here, Squirtle is a bit more likely than Ivysaur. I mean, Ivysaur? Why not Venusaur or Bulbasaur? Ivysaur seems like a strange choice. The only reason he was playable in Brawl is because Pokemon Trainer represented both the starters AND evolution. There is one more thing you're not looking at, if Squirtle and Ivysaur are playable in SSB4, why were they not revealed alongside Charizard? Especially in a Direct that focused on different character forms (Sheik, ZSS). In fact if all three were playable I'd say Squirtle would be the first one to be revealed if they were doing them at different times. Greninja also lowered Squirtle's chances because we already have a Water-type starter now.

If they were to be added, it would have to be as a last-minute addition, and even then it would probably just be Squirtle. I'm thinking the chances of this
happening are about 1%.
Yes I've played Pikmin 3. Louie is more relevant to Pikmin 3 than he is.

Ivysaur is really the only viable fighter out of the 3 of them. Venusaur would be too big/immobile for being quadrupedal. He was the natural balance between the two other evolutions. Why would they have been revealed with Charizard? They're now separate entities. Was Sheik revealed alongside Zelda, or ZSS alongside Samus? No, in the latter case it was nearly a year apart And Greninja plays nothing like Squirtle, Pichu and Pikachu were both in Melee so that nullifies the "can't have 2 water type pokemon" argument.

There's no evidence to support the theory that they've been cut. Maybe they have, but it's unlikely. Sakurai has as good as said that he's going to be bringing them back.

Shroob

Sup?
Yes I've played Pikmin 3. Louie is more relevant to Pikmin 3 than he is.

Ivysaur is really the only viable fighter out of the 3 of them. Venusaur would be too big/immobile for being quadrupedal. He was the natural balance between the two other evolutions. Why would they have been revealed with Charizard? They're now separate entities. Was Sheik revealed alongside Zelda, or ZSS alongside Samus? No, in the latter case it was nearly a year apart And Greninja plays nothing like Squirtle, Pichu and Pikachu were both in Melee so that nullifies the "can't have 2 water type pokemon" argument.

There's no evidence to support the theory that they've been cut. Maybe they have, but it's unlikely. Sakurai has as good as said that he's going to be bringing them back.
Are your fingers sore? From clinging on so hard that is.

I find the idea of 8 Pokemon reps, if we get the 4 we currently have + the other 4, absolutely absurd, frankly. If Pokemon took up 8 slots on its own, I have a feeling that a lot of fans would be rather miffed at Sakurai, especially since it would look like bias from an outsider's viewpoint.

We're going to get a Pokemon fighting game soon, but I don't think Smash needs to be a per-cursor to this. Pokemon will be fine with 5(or 6) reps like the other members of the elite 3.

Cuts WILL happen, we NEED to understand this.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Are your fingers sore? From clinging on so hard that is.

I find the idea of 8 Pokemon reps, if we get the 4 we currently have + the other 4, absolutely absurd, frankly. If Pokemon took up 8 slots on its own, I have a feeling that a lot of fans would be rather miffed at Sakurai, especially since it would look like bias from an outsider's viewpoint.

We're going to get a Pokemon fighting game soon, but I don't think Smash needs to be a per-cursor to this. Pokemon will be fine with 5(or 6) reps like the other members of the elite 3.

Cuts WILL happen, we NEED to understand this.
They may happen, but like I've said it's unlikely. The main man himself has said he wants to bring everyone back from Brawl. That's all the evidence we need on that. His opinion is worth more than every person on this forum combined because he's making the game.

Pokemon getting less reps than it did in Brawl just ain't happening. Sakurai acknowledges that the Brawl roster consists of 39 characters, so there are 6 pokemon to Mario's 4. Expect 7 at least this time around.

We already know that we aren't getting that many newcomers, which makes cuts even less likely. Transformation characters were probably separated to pad the roster out and make it look bigger.

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Anything new leak wise? Or are we just talking cuts? I don't see Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back. Nor Snake. Lucas Wolf and Falco are on the fence in my book because of the whole custom moveset thing could potentially make Fox and Ness be able to play like them, which should be detailed at E3. Ness and Captain will return, only original character that could possibly not return would be the retirement of Jiggs, which is highly unlikely. Onto leaks, rumors maybe?

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
They may happen, but like I've said it's unlikely. The main man himself has said he wants to bring everyone back from Brawl. That's all the evidence we need on that.

Pokemon getting less reps than it did in Brawl just ain't happening. Sakurai acknowledges that the roster consists of 39 characters, so there are 6 pokemon to Mario's 4. Expect 7 at least this time around.
7 would be nice, I still expect 6, but nice. We could have essentially Brawl with Mewtwo back, Greninja for Squirtle, and Sceptile for Ivysaur, mayhaps mayhaps?

Shroob

Sup?
If anything, I feel 6 would be best, because, well, Pokemon teams are 6 Pokemon, and... it'd be funny, think about it.

>Get Greninja as your starter through Froakie > Catch Pikachu > Get Charizard(Charmander) from the Professor > Get Korrina's Lucario > Catch a Jigglypuff > Postgame catch Mewtwo.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
7 would be nice, I still expect 6, but nice. We could have essentially Brawl with Mewtwo back, Greninja for Squirtle, and Sceptile for Ivysaur, mayhaps mayhaps?
Sceptile is about as likely as Pigma.

He's not even close to being the most popular Gen 3 starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom