• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DSO Biweeklies @ Drexel (Philadelphia, PA) Back in Business

Ch!bi

Smash Cadet
I read the first post and didn't see anything about when singles will start. Any guess? And I'm going to assume that instead of signing up at the beginning for everything, singles sign-ups will be right before they start?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i just updated the time slightly.
first match of doubles starts at 1:00pm sharp
signups END at 12:45 for doubles

if u wanna come just for singles i would come no later than 2:00pm (thats when il close singles sign ups)

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
he is for the upcoming one.
Oh, cool. Well this isn't much of a big deal. Just annoying for MK players that play nothing else in singles.

One tourney isn't going to destroy PA players from knowing how to fight MK so this isn't half bad. Only thing that bothers me is Chibo's explanations for the banning :dizzy:

As for Rogue Pit beating Jash with MK, maybe it's because of the matchup?? Everytime I've seen Jash face a MK he has lost. This isn't the same for everyone as when I usually fight a decent Marth player I lose, but I destroy MK's.

So let me give an example of this:

Inui loses to Eazy's Falco and my own Falco as Pit in the beginning of Brawl.

Inui switches to Marth and beats us both in tourney twice. The first time he beat me his Marth only had 2 weeks of training.

This makes me start to think that maybe Pit has some troubling matchups??

Clearly Rogue Pit has beaten Seibrik, Holy Nightmare and etc good players that are known to be at the level or better than Jash so Rogue going MK only worked that one time for him vs Jash. Him going MK vs Holy Nightmare and Seibrik?? I honestly think he would have lost.

In other words, please don't bring up that crappy Rogue Pit situation cause I don't think it's a good case for why MK should be banned.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Oh, cool. Well this isn't much of a big deal. Just annoying for MK players that play nothing else in singles.

One tourney isn't going to destroy PA players from knowing how to fight MK so this isn't half bad. Only thing that bothers me is Chibo's explanations for the banning :dizzy:

As for Rogue Pit beating Jash with MK, maybe it's because of the matchup?? Everytime I've seen Jash face a MK he has lost. This isn't the same for everyone as when I usually fight a decent Marth player I lose, but I destroy MK's.

So let me give an example of this:

Inui loses to Eazy's Falco and my own Falco as Pit in the beginning of Brawl.

Inui switches to Marth and beats us both in tourney twice. The first time he beat me his Marth only had 2 weeks of training.

This makes me start to think that maybe Pit has some troubling matchups??

Clearly Rogue Pit has beaten Seibrik, Holy Nightmare and etc good players that are known to be at the level or better than Jash so Rogue going MK only worked that one time for him vs Jash. Him going MK vs Holy Nightmare and Seibrik?? I honestly think he would have lost.

In other words, please don't bring up that crappy Rogue Pit situation cause I don't think it's a good case for why MK should be banned.
i <3 u man

Ch!bi

Smash Cadet
i just updated the time slightly.
first match of doubles starts at 1:00pm sharp
signups END at 12:45 for doubles

if u wanna come just for singles i would come no later than 2:00pm (thats when il close singles sign ups)
Guess I won't make singles either. :ohwell: Oh well anytime for friendlehhhhs afterwards? I just want to play.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The Rogue Pit situation isn't really the reason he's banned, just something I like to keep continuously bringing up :)

The real reason is in the big post I made, I don't want to say it again though.

What time would you be there Chibi? If you're gonna be late you can call ahead and I'll enter you in the brackets. It probably won't start till 3:00pm, but I like people to be there early. I'm also trying to rush it for time for Brawl+ afterwards.

Also, sorry to say everyone, but the venue fee has been bumped up from $2 to $5.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
reasons i would not like to fully talk about it here
talk to me on aim if u must

the $5 isnt for all biweeklies, its just for this one for now. after all the next biweekly is a full day tourney, not a friday night tourney

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I've said my reasoning for banning him over and over lol, you even quoted one of the times I said why. Even if he's not as prevalent in PA doesn't change the fact that I think he should be banned. If I believe he's bannable, it has to start somewhere right? I can't hold a NJ tourney and ban him there lol (though I do hold NJ tournies on occasion). If MK were to become banned in the future, he wouldn't still be allowed in Oklahoma or something cause there's no good MKs there.

As for mentioning before that I was gonna ban him at the next biweekly, I may not have mentioned it in this thread, but if you would have asked me on AIM or in person at the last biweekly I would have said I am. I had the next few biweeklies planned for a bit but never really talked about him here since I didn't have the dates nailed down yet. I also mentioned it in other threads like the thread .com made in the Tea Room (though that was only in the past week, but it was before I said it here).

And while it might make PA weaker if a MK ban was permanent, it won't from one tournament. Step it up everyone. If you really need that much MK practice, then go play friendlies, or travel to NJ for a tourney. If you thrive for practice that much from just DSO biweeklies, then something is wrong.

Please no more MK discussion everyone, it's getting really boring and it's the only thing that's being talked about it in here. We debated it, we had some good discussions (and some bad), and I made my ruling. Let's all have fun.
I wonder what I was doing in that last bi-weekly that I couldn't have asked you about this... [Goes back to DK d-tilting me over and over and over and over on Delfino]... oh yeah....

For the sake of this thread continuing, I am not going to drag out this argument unless either of us seeks the other on AIM (and having the time to talk there may be impossible for me because my week is just absolutely filled with stuff right now), but the fact that you're prematurely ending our discussion without addressing any of my major points, which are:

• Metaknight's mechanics are nowhere near Akuma air-fireball's level of brokenness (Caution: I've never played the game where Akuma's banned, so I don't even know what to say on this regard)
  • The fact that Metaknight has no counters is new to smash characters, but is likely common in just about every other fighting game there is (ZOMG, Metaknight's the unquestioned number one character in this game right now, that separates him from every other fighting game that's had the exact same thing, he's so ban-worthy! [/ZOMG])
  • The entire point of banning a character is the fact that this character dominates the community to the point that removing him will have a significant impact on tournament play as well as the metagame, in which banning him from this tournament accomplishes neither.

then it seems to me that you are banning Metaknight in this tournament just to serve your own purposes without cooperation from the rest of us. Nobody is going to look at our MK-free tournaments and say "wow, look at how these guys are doing it. We must certainly consider banning MK now;" just like nobody is going to look at Oklohoma with its lack of decent Metaknights when they discuss the MK ban on a national scale. It's not like I'm going to boycott your tournament if you ban Metaknight, I think my selection for my main will explain why not, and I'm going to have fun either way. In my opinion, though, there's no purpose behind this ban. Hopefully we can talk in person to settle our differences.

By the way, spending up to 4 hours and $25-30 total, not including food, to travel to NJ for a tournament is not for me, especially with my semester ending in a month. DSO is really the only convenient way to get tournament experience for me, and I bet I'm not the only one that thinks so.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
no advertising in mai thread pl0x

also clai, i kno u said bring it to aim, but plz stop talking about it here, iv requested that multiple times

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
but if dso is the only tourney u can go to, then what r u getting exp for? lol
To get better so they can go to other tournaments. Chibo ban mk plz. Screw other people and your only trying this out? Dude this is just a ***** slap to MK mains. This sunday be prepared for our mm, if you loose i swear to god chibo

Roxas215

Smash Lord
There's a subjective problem with this whole thing. And it's who's the end-all-be-all entity that decides whether
-something is unfair or not
-complain betch moan QQ
-yadda yadda blah blah

I main Donkey Kong. He's an okay character. He has a lot of even matchups. MK vs DK is more fair than D3 vs DK. I have counterpicks. I try to cover my bases. But I'm going to try something at the next biweekly. Everyone who has ever faced a MK has had some sort of frustration. If I come rolling in with MK and take top 3, no doubt someone is gonna be pissed.

When I was at CoT 4, I would have made it into top 50 if I didn't go up against a MK. Both of my matches came down to it. And I played harder than the other player, but Tornado ***** me. And don't go telling me how easy it is to get out of it. You don't play DK and you don't know him as well as I do, so sit down and listen. I don't need anyone telling me how to play my character.

I know the importance of having a second and a third. I have all my bases covered except for D3. But when some MK comes up and doesn't have to try, it's very very disheartening. The MK mains don't know this, well, because they have little to worry about. I was talking to xzax yesterday, and I told him, "he doesn't know what it's like to be in my shoes" to which he responded, "then play MK."

If I go against andy G vs DK, i'll win less than 5 out of every 10 matches. But if I went and took a set with MK, I guarantee there would be issues. There's no greater pain than losing a match you should have won. That's what you have never felt, Xzax.

Genesis, who used to main Falco (a very scrubby one who only went for the CG), sorry man, now mains MK. I'm pretty sure the reasoning is to squeeze out a win, which I don't blame him for. Instead of learning Falco's matchups and stuff, he decides to take the easy way out, which I feel a lot of people will end up doing when the metagame stops advancing--just pick the best character and roll with it. I've played him vs MK and I still **** him. The matchup is not impossible, just very hard, and very frustrating. And don't give me any crap about bum...tell him to come to jersey, and I'm sure he won't place as high.

But, then comes the discussion of playing who you like, which no one, under any basis, has any right to tell anyone who to play as. So then we get to a standstill. Even rogue pit, who has a great pit, has decided to pick up MK--cause it's what wins. I can't blame him, but I lost a bit of respect, on the real.

There are a lot of gay things about Brawl in general. Infinites, camping, planking. There's little we want to do about it. And until the community grows balls and does something unanimously, then these little steps of changing rulesets and the like is what should happen. If brawl was a good game, the devs would release patches and updates (like they do to MMO's) There's only so much we can do as people, but the most important thing is that we enjoy this game.

Because when that goes away, there is no point. Bicker all you want everyone, because Ak is here to play Brawl with or without you. Know that when I play against any MK, I have a deep-rooted hatred for what you represent. The deterioration of brawl into more and more crap.

At least it can't get any worse.
Truer words have never been spoken! QFT The whole thing!

Anyway i don't have any knowledge on mk to voice a valid opinion on banning him. I used to complain about mk and even psyched myself out as soon as i see the person pick mk on the character select screen. But I've learned *****ing about mk isn't going to make people stop playing with him. Instead of banning the char non mk mains need to learn how to beat him. Banning mk only hinders practice against him when we need it. Especially with jersey right around the corner that is full of mk mains.

Now if this is just a one time thing then fine. But like other people said. If u ban him and it catches on it's going to be a cycle.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
AK asked me u never been in my shoes, and all whole rant about mk. So if he hates mk and thinks mk is mad broken, i said go main him then. Dude like MK isnt that broken i dont see why everyone b!tches in PA about him. And places like NJ people have learned how to fight mk and can deal with him. If he was that broken he would have been banned already. Plz dont make him seem super broken. If you cant deal with mk then that UR fault. There are alot of ways around all the gay stuff that everyone who hates mk complains about. People have been beating mk and have found ways to beat him. Get with the program and learn the match up before always hating the players and complaining about him

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
no advertising in mai thread pl0x

also clai, i kno u said bring it to aim, but plz stop talking about it here, iv requested that multiple times
I have already stated my points here. There's nothing further to discuss.

+Xzax, you are hurting the discussion more than helping. Please stop talking before people start spewing hatred here. Let's just focus on having fun in this tournament and let's not whine about character/main choices. MK mains will just have to pick another character.

++Shut up Mew2king about this silly Pikachu ban. Obviously the only character in the game that warrants a ban is Sonic. His ability to drive people crazy knows no bounds.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea xzax isnt allowed to come to the next biweekly.

im not putting an age limit as funny as that is incase some other cool 14 yr olds wanna come

Top Bottom