• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Dragonic Reverse" -- Yoshi Can Wavedash!

Scala

Smash Ace
I was thinking about this the other day. Since a DR is basically cancelling a jump at frame 1 on the way up, what about cancelling the jump on the way down? that way you could jump right into a DR

bigman40

Smash Master
Funny thing is that I actually noticed that. If you're close enough to cancel into the ground, which is REALLY close, then it'll give a psuedo waveland (works on platforms too). However, I think that this might be too hard to really master. The amount of space to get the cancel is smaller than the DR itself (just my opinion).

Scala

Smash Ace
I *think* done it on accident a couple times, It wasn't on a flat level though, it was on something like lylat and I did the slide while moving uphill

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I have finally tried this instead of ignoring it cause I am not sure of how much it will actually help improve my game. And I am having trouble. Also Is this really useful in a match or its is only useful if you are really good at it and don't mess up a lot.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Funny thing is that I actually noticed that. If you're close enough to cancel into the ground, which is REALLY close, then it'll give a psuedo waveland (works on platforms too). However, I think that this might be too hard to really master. The amount of space to get the cancel is smaller than the DR itself (just my opinion).
Works while getting up from ledges too lol. I was just messing around and found you can DJ right after doing a ledge hop. Any ways I was just trying to see if you could get an attack off right after it, and I DR'd onto the ledge one time lol. Probably very useless in the long run though lol.

Mmm... I haven't read through the entire thread, but has anyone tried DRing backwards while in mid-dash, and immediately dashed in the same direction you were dashing before? I know it might seem a little weird to read, but the end result is a kind of moonwalk animation lol. Looks pretty smooth imo lol.

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
Has anyone figured out how to make Yoshi not turn around when DRing backwards? I did this on accident a few times in 1/4 speed, and if mastered this can be groundbreaking to Yoshi's spacing game (when combined with D tilts).

Also, I seriously think we should name this waveyoshing (singular: waveyosh). It's catchy, keeps the wave trend, and most importantly drives in the fact that Yoshi > all. :yoshi:

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone figured out how to make Yoshi not turn around when DRing backwards? I did this on accident a few times in 1/4 speed, and if mastered this can be groundbreaking to Yoshi's spacing game (when combined with D tilts).
If you want to make it so you slide backward without turning forward, don't hold the control stick down as long. If you are holding the control stick backwards after you input the DR you will most likely turn around. You have to let go before you finish the button inputs (or practically immediately after). The reason why you turn around is because the game reads it that you just landed from the air. Just jumping around you can see if you are holding a direction as you land on the ground you will turn in that direction.

Also, I seriously think we should name this waveyoshing (singular: waveyosh). It's catchy, keeps the wave trend, and most importantly drives in the fact that Yoshi > all. :yoshi:
Sorry, but no :(. We didn't even invent it, the smashers in Japan did, so they got the rights on the name lol. Dragonic Reverse has been around for a while, and I think the name has stuck with most people.

bigman40

Smash Master
Hmm. I thought the amount of space was too big to get the cancel from the ledge.

Yeah, I've actually done it a few times, but I'm still inaccurate in my DRs >_< So, probably half of them are still bad or not inputted right.

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
Sorry, but no :(. We didn't even invent it, the smashers in Japan did, so they got the rights on the name lol. Dragonic Reverse has been around for a while, and I think the name has stuck with most people.
Darn, but I was kidding about that so its' all good.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Hmm. I thought the amount of space was too big to get the cancel from the ledge.

Yeah, I've actually done it a few times, but I'm still inaccurate in my DRs >_< So, probably half of them are still bad or not inputted right.
When you say cancel from the ledge do you mean coming up from the ledge or cancelling once hitting the ledge?

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
you can shield while sliding. It sounds useful, but since yoshi's shield sucks it's probably not gonna be useful
Yoshi can shield while sliding? That's EXTREMELY useful to me... would you mind explaining how this can be done? Also, I thought Yoshi had the best shield in the game?

Jump_Man

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi can shield while sliding? That's EXTREMELY useful to me... would you mind explaining how this can be done? Also, I thought Yoshi had the best shield in the game?
lawlphin, yoshi has the worst shield

and you do it like you would any regular DR. Just do a DR, and shield.

bigman40

Smash Master
Alright. I figured out something that Karamity does that I'm probably sure most others don't. If you watch Karamity DR, you can see DJ rings form. From most of us (that I've watched in matches), we've done it to where it'll stop Yoshi from getting off the ground.

I've went back to the GC today and tested this. I've gotten the same thing using X X A, and Y Y A. I've been able to do the same thing as the DR in my tutorial, BUT I can also DR backwards without turning. I think this is the only way possible. I know that if you do your DJ and an aerial at nearly the exact same time, the DJ won't turn (anyone done this before? And I'm not just talking with the DR only). If I have enough people, I'll try to make a quick video that allows you to listen to the timing of the Karamity's DR, then I'll probably try to compare it to the other way.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Mine never turns. I use the c-stick to attack in that direction. Or ftilt to go the op way. That's why I use DR as an approach.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Iv'e always used X X A to DR. 1 page back I talked about DRing backwards without turning around :ohwell:.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I use tap+L+A and I always DR backwords w/o turning. I didn't think any of you turned...XD

bigman40

Smash Master
Iv'e always used X X A to DR. 1 page back I talked about DRing backwards without turning around :ohwell:.
Yeah, sry bout that. My mind just dismissed it, but then, I randomly looked back at Karamity's vid and noticed it again. So, I was like, "eh, wth? I'll try to figure it out again".

I actually turned everytime in my DR. I think I inputted the buttons soo quickly that the DJ and the aerial stopped each other before I could get off the ground.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
lol its cool. i didnt even know you didn't get the DJ rings, I just thought that was how DRing was.

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
Wait, I'm a little confused. Pressing X X A or Y Y A instead of X L A makes double jump rings form? Or makes Yoshi not turn around? Whaa?

bigman40

Smash Master
Wait, I'm a little confused. Pressing X X A or Y Y A instead of X L A makes double jump rings form? Or makes Yoshi not turn around? Whaa?
Well, they're the only ones I tested on right now. The others might do the same thing, but the timing is a little different than doing it as fast as you can. I just wanted to point it out cause it was bugging me ever since I started figuring out the DR. Maybe Karamity uses another configuration that works (he has tap jump on, but I find it hard to get the same slide he was getting) instead of the ones I mentioned here.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well, they're the only ones I tested on right now. The others might do the same thing, but the timing is a little different than doing it as fast as you can. I just wanted to point it out cause it was bugging me ever since I started figuring out the DR. Maybe Karamity uses another configuration that works (he has tap jump on, but I find it hard to get the same slide he was getting) instead of the ones I mentioned here.
When I slow mine down I see the rings everytime, I get some slide but nothing like what Karamity gets.

bigman40

Smash Master
How can you tell if someone has tap to jump on?
From looking at his videos, he almost never egg tossed before using his DJ. Also, when he does egg toss, you can see the DJ rings form.

When I slow mine down I see the rings everytime, I get some slide but nothing like what Karamity gets.
And that's what I don't understand for him. It's clear that he's using tap jump, but I can only the the same amount of slide using X X A or Y Y A.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I think we might have missed an essential element of the DR, maybe like a slide that goes with it. Did he actually tell us the controls, or did we just pick up on it. It's possible we don't have it right.

bigman40

Smash Master
I think we might have missed an essential element of the DR, maybe like a slide that goes with it. Did he actually tell us the controls, or did we just pick up on it. It's possible we don't have it right.
I don't think there's any slide to go with it. I think it's something in the controls that's a tad different from what I said to do (you still have to push it fast, but that's not the point). I'm looking deeper into this cause I think I'm seeing something else that comes from this, but it's just a toss up right now.

bigman40

Smash Master
Oh I find out something, Karamity isn't tap jumping, but he's getting the waves. I saw it in this vid, you'll see him throw eggs then double jump. And then he does DR's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PvtzOc4HMM&feature=related
And I saw a little more in it. DPC -> Fsmash was too sweet. Well, he must've changed it recently cause I was watching his match vs Zss and DJ rings were forming when he egg tossed.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I checked again, mine doesn't have DJ rings unless I do XXA, my tap doesn't do it but my XXA does.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
So you're saying you get more slide out of using XXA? I've always used XXA with tap to jump off. Anything I can do to help?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yeah, I can do both now, so I get what you're saying. I've also tried to find a new easier way to DR, so far it's working, more testing needed though.

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
I use a Wiichuck, and I've tried both tap Z A and Z Z A to DR... (Z is equivalent to L on the GC controller). Neither of them gives me double jump rings. And also, Karamity's DR's look about average length... half the length of the FD diamond, right?

Top Bottom