• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles Bracket.... With a CPU entry?

I want to discuss about something rather odd I saw recently.

A small online tournament was being hosted that needed to fill 8 teams. However, only 15 people showed up. So 7 full teams and one person left over. Not wanting to give anyone one team a "bye", the tournament hoster decided the remaining person could have access to a CPU to play with. Oddly enough that human player and CPU ended up winning the tournament. However, this same human player when playing the other teams 2vs1 with no CPU lost everytime. And the tournament rules were standard SWF ruling. TA on, stage striking, CPing, etc.

I was shocked to hear this and couldn't figure out how a CPU and human player could win a tournament with a CPU as a partner, but not have the skill to take those same human teams in 2vs1.

Trying to figure this out I recently started playing human doubles teams with various CPU lvs and characters as my partner. I found out that with the right lv and combination CPUs can actually take the place of a human player depending upon the skill levels you are dealing with.

I started playing with a lv 1-8 and found I got beat pretty much everytime. Once I started using a CPU lv9 I actually started winning matches. I made another change and started playing with characters that act well as a team leader such as MK and Snake instead of Peach. I was actually winning by a decent margin such as 3-2 stocks left over. I changed the CPU a few times to different characters and further improved my success by picking the right ones.

I think have an explanination of my findings. CPU lv9's ability to avoid attacks by inhuman PSing and reading makes them excellent for tanking ability. If cornered by two human players they can read or PS that one attack that can allow them to get out. They can also handle themselves for short periods of times against a single human player. However, in the long run they usually end up getting beat out by the human players. Which is why a CPU I feel merely acts as a supporting role.

CPUs are there to distract your opponents allowing you to face them one on one. Or, even tag team a single person if you get another offstage and sandwich the other player between you and the CPU. They do need a lot of help from the Human player though to keep them in the battle for a prolonged period of time.

To conclude, with the right strategy you can get a CPU to be a very valuable partner for doubles.This will only work up to a point though. A human team will always have more potiential than human and CPU, but you can get a Human+CPU team to work.

Now, what I was wondering is what everyone else thinks about human and CPU being entered in a tournament? While it is entirely up to the organizer, do you think tournaments should allow CPU+Human double teams? Might this be a rule that is suggested for the standard SWF ruleset to allow or disallow Human+CPU team combinations?

Prawn

Smash Master
in my experience I've seen people entered with level 7 cpus, but thats pretty much it and its a joke

bobson

Smash Lord
I once entered a doubles tournament as two level 9 CPUs and got 5th place.

I am completely serious.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's fine and all until the CPU starts asking for a bigger cut of the winnings. I understand they are a struggling people, but god dammit I need my money.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I like this idea. Also, I think it would be a fun idea to do doubles with a CPU on each team. I'm actually tempted to try this next time I go to a doubles tournament. However there are good CPU's and bad ones. And lvl 9 is the way to go, its stupid to enter a tournament with a lvl 7, lol seriously wtf? A bad CPU would be Snake, and Sonic, the way the CPU uses those characters is dumb. However, Pit, Pikachu, MK, G&W, and maybe some others seem to be the best CPU's. Almost any CPU that has a good recovery and can rack up damage fast would be very useful.

Xeylode: The person that won the doubles tournament... what CPU character did he use? And what character did he use himself?

Jupz

Smash Master
We always put CPU Weegee's in doubles and one of them in singles at our tourneys :p

They've never won a set but they won a doubles match once. Also he always seems to get a bye in singles so he never ends up coming last :\

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's fine and all until the CPU starts asking for a bigger cut of the winnings. I understand they are a struggling people, but god dammit I need my money.
My CPU partner thought he did all the work and deserved all the winnings for himself.

So I turned him off. ;)

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Why are you surprised the guy couldn't beat teams 2v1 that he could with a CPU? Do you realize just how hard it is to fight 2v1 in this game? Even a CPU (Which are pretty easy to exploit by the way) is a huge improvement.

The responses to this thread are too good. :laugh:

Why are you surprised the guy couldn't beat teams 2v1 that he could with a CPU? Do you realize just how hard it is to fight 2v1 in this game? Even a CPU (Which are pretty easy to exploit by the way) is a huge improvement.
In doubles, I always fought human vs human teams or 2 vs 1. Typically being the one to offer being the person who went solo in 2 vs 1. I had never fought with a CPU before. I thought a CPU would typically get in my way if I ever used them in doubles and makes things worse. It wasn't until a month ago actually started using one that I saw for sure that CPUs do make it easier, even if it's a lv 1.

Xeylode: The person that won the doubles tournament... what CPU character did he use? And what character did he use himself?
Not sure who they used for a CPU, but they used MK in the tournament which fits with what I have tried. I agree there are good and bad CPU choices. Snake sucks as he loses stocks to quickly. The best luck I have had is with pikachu, luigi and marth. No idea why marth and pikachu seem to work so well.

Luigi I know does. Caught in a combo, he'll use his aerials to hit people out of it with perfect timing. You do something stupid, he gets those random UpB KOs with precision and never gets punished for it. It either works and you die (or at low percents), or he never uses it. Ok recovery. Excellent KO power.

Do computers suffer from additional input lag from wifi?
No idea, I never tried to play with a CPU in wifi lag.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually... are CPUs even banned from doubles play? I don't believe there is a rule for that in the official ruleset.

:069:

Actually... are CPUs even banned from doubles play? I don't believe there is a rule for that in the official ruleset.

There are no considerations at all for a CPU for a partner. When it comes down to it, the hoster makes the final discuss regarding a tournament. This sort of thing was probably deemed not important enough to discuss by them, and any case involving it would end up being subject to the organizers judgement.

As of right now it seems as if many tournaments organizers allow it. No one here so far has said CPUs are strictly banned outright at the tournament they go to. How well those teams do I have no idea. It's just weird the number of storys though now that I have gone around asking where CPU+Human player place rather high. I've had no idea if those were scrub/n00b tournaments as pointed out above, but at the very least you might have better luck with a CPU than a human player at one of them if you are stuck having to get a partner at the last minute xD Heck, allowing them might actually allow for a larger doubles turn out if people from singles to chip in to play doubles.

solecalibur

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w22xtulkHtY
my crew is kind of awesome ....
The thing that it is missing with this lvl 9 MM match is that they react to human players reactions not CPU vs CPU so they stupid things like above

Also you can't say CPU as a team mate is impossible to win but very depends on the human player to carry the match, say M2k and a CPU team vs Me and my best friend we'd still get wreaked because we are no where near the skill level he is at , we might have a better chance if it is 2vs1 because we dont have the lvl 9 CPU occupying my team mates time that could be focused on the other team mate

I say let it be legalized if you really want to be greedy and take the pot 100% but once you get someone that is the same level as you in brawl in doubles you will most likely lose

Luigi player

Smash Master
CPUs suck. If people team with a cpu they have to pay an entry fee for them too, and they won't place in money also since a CPU sucks (he doesn't avoid your attacks, he attacks you, he can't really do much... besides reacting godly and powershielding stuff) you won't win anything and thus it's better to not even take part in doubles, unless you have a real person as a partner.

Online is a bit different since they don't have delay or lags... but they still suck and you can exploit their weeknesses (like they airdodge everytime after an attack and you can juggle them really easy by punishing their airdodge).

CR4SH

Smash Lord
A louisville player regularly teams with lv 9 pika. He even has a pikachu mascot to hold the controller for him (need it for sharestocks).

They really aren't good, but what the do for you is distract people. Lv 9s are easy to beat and really shouldn't be taking stocks, but you DO have to account for them because their moves hit just as hard. On top of that they're 100% entirely predictable. They do the same thing in the same situation every time. So if you're good at it you can have some literally inhuman synchronisity.

That being said, its still not as good as having just about any human partner, and the only teams you're going to be able to beat are ones with noticably less skill than the human player.

Qft

And aren't computers terrible ledge-guarders so they would get wrecked off-stage?:confused:
If given the chance they ALWAYS use their double jump the same distance from the edge. So if you've got a spike, its a free stock.

Matt07

Smash Master
It's a 'tradition' here for newcomers to team with a level 9 Ganon. And he actually outlasted me in a match on Frigate Orpheon :urg:.

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
I'm open to the idea. Computers can make decent teamates for multiple reasons, such as the aforementioned distraction of you oppoenents, as well as the obvious fact that it's better than no partner at all against a team.
However, I feel like if they're being introduced into doubles matches, the person who's potentially getting stuck with a CPU should really have a choice in the matter, because in a way it's pretty unfair. Most CPUs ARE still below human playing-level.

NNID
Budget_Player
This is like saying should we give toasters rights. I like it.

I should try this.
My CPU partner thought he did all the work and deserved all the winnings for himself.

So I turned him off. ;)
Do computers suffer from additional input lag from wifi?

This is an interesting question. Would be lulzy.

Top Bottom