• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

Rikana

Smash Champion
Do we still have invites from the betakeys that we get? I remember we get 2 invites per betakey.. or did they take those out?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
So i dont think I'll be playing video games for a few months now... I spent all weekend trying to fix my computer to no avail. Load or idle, it would crash within in hour of being turned on. About half were Driver/Device related but I had installed the newest drivers as part of my fixing. Others were USB related and I even had a corrupt error. Safe boot didn't cause any issues, though, and I managed to get disk checks and virus scans done with virutally no finds and afterward the same issues happened.

Luckily I am already a grand deep in savings for my new gaming laptop, so basically im just waiting out the semester to get a new one and get back to gaming. Cya guys then!

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
So i dont think I'll be playing video games for a few months now... I spent all weekend trying to fix my computer to no avail. Load or idle, it would crash within in hour of being turned on. About half were Driver/Device related but I had installed the newest drivers as part of my fixing. Others were USB related and I even had a corrupt error. Safe boot didn't cause any issues, though, and I managed to get disk checks and virus scans done with virutally no finds and afterward the same issues happened.

Luckily I am already a grand deep in savings for my new gaming laptop, so basically im just waiting out the semester to get a new one and get back to gaming. Cya guys then!
Thats no fun :(

Do you need to have a laptop or could you do a desktop? You could build a really good desktop with 1k

edit:

Also, what the ****?

http://www.cadred.org/News/Article/172081/

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i really trust that source ;)

Also, yes i want a laptop. Just double checked, i have about $1,300. By the end of the semester i hope to have raised around $1,800, and my birthday is in june so I will ask for money from my parents. I play a lot of SC2 so I want a gaming laptop that I can bring to LANs, as well as bring back and forth from my place on campus to my parent's house on weekends.

The desktop i have right now I build myself on about $500 summer 2008 and it really packed a punch back then. With my current budget, I could build a sick desktop. I've been doing research into custom built laptops and about $2000 will get me top of the line power as long as I don't go overboard on frills ;)

Vyke

Smash Champion
I purchased both of my gaming computers for little under 1,000$. Anything over is just frivolous. They can both run any game on the highest settings without any heating issues or frame rate lag.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Both. An Asus Laptop, Cyberpower Desktop (Though, I got an incredible deal on Black Friday.)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Black Friday doesn't count :p

I just customized a laptop with all the settings I want to last a bunch of years, comes out to about $2100. Projections of my profits over the next month and a half nab me around another $500, so I gotta beg the parents for a total of about $400... seems doable...

:phone:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Alienware's a lot more expensive than that. I paid about that for my asus and its been great.

:phone:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah i was looking at asus or sager... necessities:

3gb GPU
2.5 quad core
12GB 1600mhz RAM or better
SSD primary
500GB storage
bluray drive

Vyke

Smash Champion
I use a 60 GB SSD for my operating system and other things that I care more about (League, etc), with a regular hard drive for everything else. You can be more efficient with your stuff. Have a PS3? Need the Blu-Ray then?

What games do you plan on playing besides Dota 2? Crysis 6?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I don't have a PS3, so I kinda want a system that can play blurays.

I was gonna do the same thing on my SSD, but what do you think i can be more efficient with?

Games I plan on playing: SC2, DotA 2, Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3, Assassins Creed Brotherhood and Revelations (still havent beat brotherhood), and i wouldn't mind running Melee at 60fps so I can use it as a portable HD setup. And plenty more and all the cool stuff that comes out in the coming years.

Basically I've spent my whole life with low/mid end stuff and been fine with it. I feel i've recently matured as i've learned the value of higher quality things, as well as learned how to take care of them. I do quite a bit of gaming, and i'm a computer science student, so it makes sense that I would have quality equipment. Once I would have viewed the second $1000 as unnecessary, but to me it is worth it to have something reliable for years to come so that I won't have to worry about the little stuff that makes my computer life annoying (like overheating issues, framerate issues, having to set every game to lowest settings). I don't see the value of paying an extra $600 for a slightly better video card or CPU (the jump from really freaking good to absolute top), but at the same time I don't want to settle for the low or mid end power-stuff.

Wow that went on for longer than intended, sorry xD

Vyke

Smash Champion
I don't think paying the extra 1000$ will extend the life of your computer. Taking care of whatever you buy, however?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
My first desktop lasted me 7.5 years haha. It was mid/low in 2001 and somehow I played starcraft, diablo2 and eventually wc3 competitively on it through 2008 on integrated graphics, 512MB ram (upgraded, mind you) and a 1GHz processor xD. This one has caused me some issues, but it was my own cheapness that caused the issue. On a budget, i cheaped out on the case and the layout was pretty crappy and so i had to replace my power supply and video card once each due to heat issues. At this point, i think its another video card issue due to heat.

If i can get 4 years out of this laptop, then the money is well spent. I should be well out of school by then and if things go according to plan i should be well into my loan payments. At that point, I would be able to afford a new laptop or possibly have already bought a desktop workstation (i wouldnt mind having a 3 monitor setup :awesome:)

My thought process is that by buying quality parts, there should be no oversights such as bad case design causing overheating. Beyond design faults, parts generally have a decent lifespan as long as they are properly maintained. The most likely to fail due to time alone is a HDD, which is why I have a SDD and backups. Since the expectation is a lasting product, spending money on power seems prudent to maintain competitive usability to match the expected life. Basically, I am trying to cover all options. Theres a lot of assumptions in there, but with any luck things will work out. At least i'll have a sick computer for once ;)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I really enjoy those games where everything seems to go perfectly for your team the entire game

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I love those games too. They seem to only happen when I'm shadowfiend though.

Love that hero man. So strong. +72 damage is ridiculous

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Drow Ranger has to be my favorite at the moment.

Everything seems to go well when I play her

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
OMG NEW (old) HEROES! I wish i could still play dota2, but alas... This semester will be done soon

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I'm going to have fun revisiting Syllabear.

Loved him in Dota. Loved him in HoN. Gonna Love him some more.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Wasn't he the guy you wanted to change the semi-current "OMG ANTIMAGE OMG" poop? Or did that already pass with Invoker coming out?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Wasn't he the guy you wanted to change the semi-current "OMG ANTIMAGE OMG" poop? Or did that already pass with Invoker coming out?
Invoker helped on that. But an overall shift and the nerf to am may have been enough. He's still the strongest carry in the game. However, his early game just isn't good enough to compare to these strong push teams.

also i love silly in so many ways. and he is mean against antimage too

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
How exactly does bear "counter" AM? Lycan as well?

How did DotA 1 with the full cast deal with AM?

That blink be annoying in unorganized pubs XD

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
They can push and have strong early/mid dominance with great pushing power, and that's before AM becomes scary. So you just win before he can really do anything.

Vyke

Smash Champion
What if the enemy teams picks a composition designed to halt quick pushing strategies, while focusing on getting AM farmed?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Anti pushing strategies would generally mean counter pushing or ganking centered, which is not late game. As long as you don't feed AM, you shouldn't have too much of a problem focusing him with stuns while your team's late game does work. His passives gradually get weaker as the game progresses, which leaves him basically only melee DPS. If he doesn't get too much feed in the mid game, he won't have the items to make him that powerful in the late game. All-in-all, at the highest level he isn't that good of a carry.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Does dota 2 still have that purge item (massive damage to summons)

that pretty much wrecked Sylla in regular DotA

edit: Seems they have changed the bear to be an ancient and not really a summon. Nevermind. It's been a long while since I've played regular DotA :p

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Man, oh man, best game in ages, if not ever.

And yes, that is me as SK with Aegis. :p

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Disregard my 'best game ever' comment, because this is at least a tie.

Sorry for the multiple scorecard posts, but I never play this good, so I'm enjoying it while I can XD

Top Bottom