• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dont get da kid started (boss)

Inferno3044

Smash Master
So what is our do's & dont's against ike?
Don't roll/spotdodge out of fear. Ike basically make plays off of reads iirc so you will eat a smash. It's ok to roll or spot dodge on reaction to a move because his move set is stupidly slow for the most part. His jab is really good and it's something worth watching out for.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Ahh, ok. I gotta kill my spotdodge habits more often, esp against ikes.
Which i feel my spotdodge'n habits is slowly dying.

steep

Smash Lord
your jab is really good against ike too. bair wall can be legit too i think. just dont whiff and get smashed or tilted. fludd gimps his up b and cape gimps his side b.... lol

steep

Smash Lord
True ^^ And don't fall for his retreating fair. Also, his nair gives me problems sometimes. Just shield it and punish. Watch out for his bair. It's fast and it kills really well.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
your jab is really good against ike too. bair wall can be legit too i think. just dont whiff and get smashed or tilted. fludd gimps his up b and cape gimps his side b.... lol
I pretty much already know this. LOL

But thanks steep. Never hurts to take as much advice as i can.

Look out for his f-air spams
Wounldn't that be against marth players? :roll:

steep

Smash Lord
Better to have said something that you already knew than to not say it and you not know it right? :)

Coolwhip you wanna play some wifi friendlies soon? Would you be able to play?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Ike's jab is basically his whole game. It's good. Like, cancel into itself for nearly 20% good. And it's fast. And it has crazy reach. So here's the deal:

If he starts jabbing you just di away. Don't bother trying to go through it, it's not worth it. Never run in there when he has a full shield. Wear him down with fireballs. You'll either force him to approach (where you can win with superior speed), or you'll reduce his shield enough that you can get in there with a crossover dair to start things. Just be careful, and make him play at your pace...his fsmash can change the game in a second if you start rolling thoughtlessly.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
up b beats his jab cancelling i believe. :)
I actually wouldn't recommend this. He gets too much of a frame advantage for this to be very safe.

If he decides to jab, then spotdodge or shield, you'll whiff, then he gets a free smash of choice.

Every once in awhile, I can see this working, but Sleek Media generally has the idea. Just DI out.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
May I ask why? That's a real shame...you were fun to play against. I'd have loved to try a Mario Bros team sometime.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
That's why you just gotta play for fun, or find a group you have fun with. It's a game. When you treat it as something else, it's gonna lose its luster.

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
I agree with Coolwhip truly. Its been a pleasure watching your Mario and Luigi **** everyone
and maybe for the next SSB they can make Mario a little better...

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I still say we could fix all this overnight by making balanced brawl the standard for tournament play. There is no excuse not to, other than wanting to maintain the current tiers.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I still say we could fix all this overnight by making balanced brawl the standard for tournament play. There is no excuse not to, other than wanting to maintain the current tiers.
I still say it's a waste to argue because it won't happen. Not saying I disagree, but I know the community will not do it. Also you don't attend tourneys so why do you care how other people play?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I still say it's a waste to argue because it won't happen. Not saying I disagree, but I know the community will not do it. Also you don't attend tourneys so why do you care how other people play?
Oh, believe me, I know it'll never happen. Doesn't mean it shouldn't though. If it did, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one attending more events. As it is, though, it's all I can do to stomache one or two. It's easy to see why people who play actual competitive games scoff at us.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Oh, believe me, I know it'll never happen. Doesn't mean it shouldn't though. If it did, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one attending more events. As it is, though, it's all I can do to stomache one or two. It's easy to see why people who play actual competitive games scoff at us.
"Actual competitive games" have horrible balancing issues too.

They just kinda accept it and continue playing, though.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord

I think of it as being like online play. Sure, not all games have a full featured online mode with no lag, but damn if Brawl isn't the absolute worst at it.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I decided a long time ago that I didn't really like Brawl that much...it can be really fun sometimes, but really frustrating competitively.

I also decided a long time ago, before Brawl released, that I would be a top Mario in this game. Still hanging on to that, despite Brawl's MANY many short-comings.

So yeah...it's not amazing. There are a lot of things wrong with this game. I just do my best to ignore it...

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I decided a long time ago that I didn't really like Brawl that much...it can be really fun sometimes, but really frustrating competitively.

I also decided a long time ago, before Brawl released, that I would be a top Mario in this game. Still hanging on to that, despite Brawl's MANY many short-comings.

So yeah...it's not amazing. There are a lot of things wrong with this game. I just do my best to ignore it...
Can i like.....get a hug bro? xD

Inferno3044

Smash Master

This. The best players for the most part use the better characters in EVERY fighting game so don't think brawl is any different. And as Matador said, there are tons of balance issues. Other fighter games just sugar coat it. SSF4 looked balanced as the ratios were shown but I highly doubt it's accurate. The Mario boards ratios are also sugar coated as well as some other character boards but at least we admit that it isn't fully balanced.

Top Bottom