• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dont get da kid started (boss)

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Do NOT fireball him at close range when he has a fully charged aura sphere, it's going to eat the fireball and destroy your face while you're still in the fireball animation. Same thing applies to Samus.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Omari if you get to KTAR, you wanna team? We gotta show up the double Yoshi team. Also, interesting MvC3 combination. I've been playing random matches on Xbox live to kill time and I haven't seen a lot of Chris's. I've seen a few Cap. A's and a lot of Wesker. I don't like Wesker, but at least it's not Ammy.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to team but this weekend may not be ktar5.

I wanna go to ktar5.....______......

MvC3: Cap. A=Point Man. (Back Flip is a horrible move, vulnerable in it's own but...) Main use of Cap. A's back flip is for cross-ups (mainly unblock-able). Chris Redfield's job is to support (cover) Cap. A as he mixes up his opponent(s). A good setup is Crouching Medium, Standing Heavy+P2 (Partner 2 (Chris=Alpha which is Gun Fire I believe)), Back Flip, Medium*2, Crouching Heavy+buffered high shield slash, ...anything (ex: jump+medium*2, heavy, jump+medium, heavy+buffered mid shield slash (mid screen of course), medium charging star+buffered charging star, DHC Wesker's Phantom Air Dance or Chris's Sweep Combo depending on character order.

Wesker=Middle Man. Battery character (building meter & trolling).

Chris=Anchor (& a Powerhouse) (MO) Supreme camping & combo ability. His magnum is like a charging star projectile (unlike Cap. A being physical). *Chirs's shotgun (medium gun fire) is mad effective airborne...

Inferno3044

Smash Master
My team is Zero/Wolverine/Sentinel. Zero starts as a good lead because I see him as pretty versatile with a good rushdown and camp game and a pretty nicely balanced character overall. Wolverine is kinda my middle man but he tends to deal more damage than Zero assuming I get in. Sentinel is an ace in the hole with his laser, strong hits, hyper sentinel force, and lvl 3 X-factor Sentinel is gdlk.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@Coolwhip: Thanks. You can't force opinions. Giving reasonable examples (covering myself) will help others understand Mario's learning curve better when debating (at least one step closer to the ideal).

@Famous: No disrespect, first time I played you I got the impression that you were a random (somewhat a troll because you played Mario Bros. against me at Apex). Honestly, you're quiet & very knowledgeable about SSBB (especially Mario Bros.). You can improve overall (not only the Mario Bros.'s) game-play (MO) so mad respect.

?: Does anyone utilize Mario's DA (QDA/IDA)? How (in depth explanation(s) please)? Thanks.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Uhhh, I don't use it but I know some tricks with it.
If you time it properly, you can use it to stagespike, and you can use it to punish spotdodges since it lasts for so long. It has a weak hit if you use it that way, so you can combo into stuff from there

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@Juxtapose: Thanks. Hearing what others think expands my thinking (doesn't mean I'm not sure when to use it). My uses for DA are planking (stalling), dodging (general concept is to react with a move that lingers or/& has multiple hits) & killing (setups/gimping/stage spiking/etc). I'm testing which options this move covers while covering you & potentially setting up new ones. Keep the replies coming!

Payne

Smash Apprentice
What are some stages Mario has an advantage on?
I really don't know if platforms are a good or bad thing.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
What are some stages Mario has an advantage on?
I really don't know if platforms are a good or bad thing.
Platforms are good. Brinstar and Battlefield are normally good choices. Personally I have no problem with Lylat and Yoshi's for certain MUs. Rainbow isn't bad either.

inb4A2'slongBrinstarrant.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Brinstar is simple. Most characters hate the platforms because it's easy to platform camp on Brinstar. Mario loves them because he's one of few characters who you can't really ever platform camp against safely. Not to mention fireball camping on Brinstar is the same as camping on Smashville, except you get to do it 24/7. Small blastzones which Brinstar has are also a good thing for Mario as well since he has a lot of practical KO moves to pick from that work better under a small blastzone.

The only character who Mario probably does worse against on Brinstar is Metaknight, who is just unbelievably stupid.

Halberd is also really good for Mario as well, just don't fight Marth, Luigi, or ROB there for the most part, and I guess avoid MK there as well. Aside from that the small blastzones are again something Mario gets more out of than most characters.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Why is Mario's dtilt a bad move at, say, 70%?

As in, you have the choice to catch a landing with something, why prefer anything over dtilt at higher (non-kill) percentages?

Inferno3044

Smash Master

As in, you have the choice to catch a landing with something, why prefer anything over dtilt at higher (non-kill) percentages?
You shouldn't. Mario's dtilt only has some use at kill percents in which you can bait a spot dodge and land a Usmash. That's about it and even then it shouldn't be used all the time.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You aren't answering my question at all lol.
Dtilt is very slow and offers little shield stun if the opponent shields the hit. If you don't hit, you're eating something heavy as punishment.

If they think quickly enough, anybody can double jump away and get a safe landing...it's not a guaranteed set-up or anything.

If there are platforms around, the opponent can DI onto them at those percentages and be safe on landing from a follow-up that'd KO them.

Overall, it's a pretty viable mix-up option because, from that height, many people instinctively decide to airdodge to the ground, especially if they're Snake or someone weak in the air like that. But essentially, it's just another gimmicky tactic.

:phone:

steep

Smash Lord
This question isn't just for boss, but if he would answer it that would be AMAZING. :)

Basically, I used to be a really aggro player. Then I started getting rocked because I would make stupid mistakes and/or give into obvious habits like rolling.

Then I became a defensive player and tried to play smart. I try to read my opponents better and also to punish their mistakes. I also have been working a lot on baiting bad habits from my opponents and learning what their habits are mid-game.

But even though I've gotten a lot better at reading and punishing, I am terrible at breaking my opponents momentum once they get it.

Also, sometimes I have a hard time getting in on opponents who both shield and space well. one or the other of those too, and i don't have problems.... but both.... well I get punished a lot it seems.

Lastly, I can beat lower-level players relatively easily, but when I get into the higher-level players, I can't ever see that I am improving. I work really hard at making my mario better but I never see results, and it's very frustrating.

So, in conclusion.... and I guess none of this was actually a direct question, more of an implied one.... but.... can you help me? :)

tl;dr version: used to be aggro, was bad. Now i'm trying to play smarter, still am bad. HELP PLZ. :p

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
*Not Boss but will try anyway*

Momentum

Breaking momentum is one of the hardest things to do in this game, so it's not uncommon to have trouble in that department. Sometimes the best thing to do when the opponent has momentum is to literally run away from them. That will force them to either chase after you, which is unsafe in most cases, or it'll force them to retreat as well, which resets the situation.

Sometimes running away is going to be impossible though (Ex: Being juggled by ZSS/Marth, MK is rushing you down...etc.) In that case, it's important to recognize that you're being read. Now is the time to quickly analyze what you're doing, what your opponent has caught on to, and change quickly. You may be airdodging under a specific circumstance, rolling too much, spotdodging too much, or approaching haphazardly. Whatever the case, stop it...do something random like capestall or upB OOS...something to break their momentum, then retake/reset it.

Defensive Opponents

Opponents who appropriately shield and space are the hardest players to face in Brawl for Mario. When you're pitted against this playstyle, especially from an inherently difficult match-up (Marth, Falco...) It's important to realize that no defensive strategy is air-tight. There are punishable holes in every wall. The key to exposing these vulnerabilities is understanding that defensive players are naturally reactive players.

As you know, pretty much every engagement comes down to rock-paper-scissors. Grabbing beats shielding. Shielding beats attacking. Attacking beats grabbing. It's a little deeper than that, of course, but generally your job as the aggressor is to confuse these options. Make the opponent believe you're going to attack, then grab. Make your opponent think you're going to run in and attack, then instantly shield instead. There's more to it than that, but just remember that this is what it boils down to.

Improving

It's important to always try new things to improve. Practice the fundamentals and get really good at consistently applying them (Good DI, good SDI, Spacing, Execution, Reading, etc.) and learn new things with Mario. Try different tactics and strategies for different match-ups. Work on different aspects of your game like edgeguarding and jab-cancelling. Just continue to sharpen yourself.

Remember, Mario's potential is NOWHERE NEAR being fully tapped. There's still much to learn...much to do.

Hope this helps.

steep

Smash Lord
^^^ Thanks Matador. I will definitely take these words to heart. :)

I am going back to practicing! ;)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
idk to be honest these are the main things you need to be good with Mario:

1. PROPER spacing for fireball followups. There's just a spacing where if you throw out a fireball and run behind it, it's safe from shieldgrab. Know that spacing. Also learn Fireball -> F-smash. People still get hit by it and when you consider the other options you have after fireballs, it's a legitimate mixup.
2. U-air out of shield. Seriously. It's so ridiculously good. I mean it's like N-air out of shield, but a million times safer and better at putting you in an advantageous position. U-smash out of shield as well is **** and should be a staple.
3. Edgeguarding. Mario is pretty capable of edgeguarding everyone for substantial reward. Mastering use of all his tools in this area from fireballs, FLUDD, Cape, and invincible edgedrop is important.
4. In depth knowledge of safe followups. This one is extremely complicated and actually not something you can learn quickly since it's really matchup specific. At any rate though building damage easily is Mario's biggest overall problem since his damage per hit is pretty low. Knowing when Jab cancels work, what options you have out of grab, the best way to start strings after aerials, it's actually complicated as ****. Generally speaking though floaties are easier to combo than fastfallers. Even moreso if they're tall and skinny.
5. Good fullhop spacing. Mario has a lot of options out of fullhop. Don't want to go too in depth about it atm but at any rate vertical spacing is more underdeveloped in the average player's metagame than I care to admit.

Basically if you get really comfortable with those things you'll bring Mario to his full potential.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dash Attack is better than D-tilt outside of Jab canceling into D-tilt at around 115% or so. Much better at actually starting combos.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen

Other moves just set up for more damage (or a kill), easier. Dtilt isn't really something you need to hit with in that position. You could catch their landing with Dsmash which could set you up for a low percent gimp, or you could read their landing and grab or something similar, racking up more damage. It's somewhat difficult to get a good amount of damage out of Dtilt outside of a couple gimmicks.

Is that answer acceptable?

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I think lord is being a troll. I'm guessing he already know the answer to his own question.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Or maybe he had a legitimate question? It doesn't seem like the stupidest troll question to ask. He could have asked, "Why should I ever not be using Up-B?", which is a question everyone already knows the answer to. You should always be using Up-B, because it's the best move ever.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Or maybe he had a legitimate question? It doesn't seem like the stupidest troll question to ask. He could have asked, "Why should I ever not be using Down-B?", which is a question everyone already knows the answer to. You should always be using Down-B, because it's the best move ever.
Fixed. Get your directions right. :p

Top Bottom