• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't Approach: Melee's Flaw Dissected

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I am very honest with what I am saying and I assure you I have good understanding and experience of what I am talking about. I don't think any ledge stalling should be banned btw, but I think puff's is good enough that it could warrant that. But no puff will ever do it (that is a top player or top puff) so it's pretty much irrelevent.

edit - when I say warrant that, I mean a ledge grab limit. They are called cliffhangers. But again, this is irrelevent since it will likely never happen by a player good enough to make a big impact on a tourney

leffen

Smash Champion
I just get the idea when I'm talking to Hax, Eggm and M2k that no facts and no proof and certainly no argument over the internet will even be really taken into consideration LET ALONE make change how they think.

^this will be thrown away just as easily

and jiggs ledge stalling will just be banned if it comes to that, seriously the melee community banned POUND STALLING

edit: this is not meant as an insult to anyone, its just the reason to why I'd rather not waste my time arguing with people who have time and time again proved me that it is to no use

Mew2King

King of the Mews
wow that was just rude, that isn't true, I am open minded, but I am saying what I think, including how falco's pressure is in his advantage overall even though you said it wasn't. I explained my opinion of the 3 best mixups to use, why it's good, and the risk/reward ratio for them.

Hax

Smash Champion
Peepee you don't need any help, especially not from leffen who isn't very good at this game/doesn't understand top level play. ESPECIALLY when any post you make that is longer than 3 paragraphs is automatically deemed as genius by ~10 people at once

these essay-length posts take me 1.5 hours a piece which can get really annoying really fast. I can't keep quoting each individual paragraph/refuting it/etc. I challenge you to quote the individual arguments in my post on page 12 and directly refute them, just as I did for you. I predict that you'll have trouble with this, considering plenty of the "counterarguments" in the post you just made as well as the one before it were extremely half-a$$ed/incorrect/etc. (i.e. the one in the last post where you said "because Fox/Falco/Peach's shield pressure has frame holes, it isn't broken" LOL IF THERE WEREN'T FRAME HOLES THOSE CHARACTERS WOULD BE BANNED)

also 2 things

1. people are waaaay too sensitive on smashboards. this is merely an argument; nothing is to be taken personally. Kevin, it seems like you're taking some of the things i'm saying personally which isn't the case at all. i can't use tone of voice on the internet which is really annoying in these cases.

2. the bias that either of our posts are centralized on is completely legit. it is the result of me playing Falcon, a defensive character, and you playing Falco, a mixed character that excels at both offense and defense. i naturally don't see things the way you do; the same applies for you to me.

the reason i believe my side of the argument is correct is that Falcon more accurately represents the rest of the cast. he, along with 22 other characters, don't have the same broken offensive options yours does. i understand that Falco can play excellent offense, yet my thesis remains "Melee is a defensive game" because the overwhelming majority of the characters don't play offense. in the OP i basically had a disclaimer warning Fox/Falco/Peach players that this thread doesn't concern them for this very reason; i knew they'd all be inclined to disagree due to inexperience with the other 23 characters.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
the problem is you each have different definitions for broken so no agreement will be made on that issue

being broken isn't how things get banned anyway. It's when people in power want to do something, and have an excuse to do something (Brawl MK debate) until it doesn't matter how much better arguments are or if they can't be refuted, because majority rules in the end sadly. Even if Falco and Fox's shield pressure was TRUELY broken like literally unbeatable no options, unless the majority of the community ALSO HATED THEM and had an excuse to ban him then that's the only way that would happen honestly.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Anyone else remember when broken referred to stuff that actually, y'know, broke the game? Stuff that was literally so unfair it couldn't be kept around? Like Amnesia Mewtwo?

But now everything and its mother is considered broken.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Fox is a great character. So is Falco. But they're not even the best characters by that much at all.

leffen

Smash Champion
"Peepee you don't need any help, especially not from leffen who isn't very good at this game/doesn't understand top level play"

lmao nice one. Whatever, keep it rolling like the middle age church bro.

And m2k, I guess it was kind of unwarranted during this discussion. I was mostly refering to the MK ban debate/previous ledgestalling debates (but you have clearly changed your mind as seen in your edit) so I'm sorry for that.

and QFT at KK.

I mean, can you just look at what you can actually do about it instead of just closing your eyes when you face stuff you cannot handle

Mew2King

King of the Mews
KK yeah but honestly, the way brawl worked, the REAL Reason like no BS (which pro ban will tell you cuz they make up ANY EXCUSE EVEN INFINITE DIMENSION CAPE WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM OR ISSUE EVEN ONCE and is EASY TO ENFORCE) that that happened was simply because more people benefited from choosing "yes" to banning MK on the poll than "no" (by quite a bit/lot), and then the TOs who host tournaments (that are in the URC) are biased as hell (as a whole).

btw leffen, Falco's shield pressure is definitely in his favor, he's not at a disadvantage when using it in terms of options covering and also the overall risk/reward scenarios. That's what I tried to tell you. Try mixing up those 3 things I just told you and see how it works for you.

Hax

Smash Champion
leffen it wasn't a joke lol. didn't i jv4 you in 1 minute 20 seconds at Genesis?

leffen

Smash Champion
Im a falco player, you dont think I have tried mixing those things up? like seriously I became second best in europes best country after 1 year with falco without knowing that you can delay and do early aerials. yeah.

I dont see him at a disadvantage overall because of his SHINE, I just said that the AERIAL pressure is at disadvantage.

@Hax: WHAT? We were gonna play a MM and we both had 2 stocks when you said that you had to go play teams WF. That was the only match we played >_>.
oh and it was with my fox which I barely used at the time, I was saving my falco for if we met in bracket lol.

Hax

Smash Champion
it was already part of the MM so let's not manipulate things through our words. and nah dawg I had 3 left. sh*t was kinda free, not gonna lie :cool:

leffen

Smash Champion
Um, right. "I jv4 stocked you 1 minute 20 seconds" and then you are saying that I MANIPULATE THINGS THROUGH OUR WORDS. LOL.

and man, Im happy that you got a one stock lead versus a ****ty secondary in a 5$ MM. Must be your first time.

I sincerely hope that you are stoned out of your mind because I havent seen such ****ty argumentation skills in a long while hax.

and yeah M2K, the real danger is imo from the shine/multishines/shinegrabs, not from the aerials.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
2 things I want to say

1) hit and run is NOT the best in a LOT of situations. The best is hit, then try to FOLLOW THROUGH YOUR ADVANTAGE SITUATION AS LONG AS POSSIBLE (either in a combo or keeping them in a bad position). This does not apply to jigglypuff and floaties (as much) sadly. Hit and run is best vs Jigglypuff since she's immune to big combos unless she puts herself in a really bad position somehow. Best way to beat puff is to be willing to time her out if it comes down to it (or know all of hbox's habits like mango does, although I think a lot of that came from mango being a puff main originally. I'll admit I'm really good vs fox and marth probably because I used to main them so I understand a lot about them. Might help a bit?).

2) PP, Hax is right when he says that other characters do not have as good of shield pressure. Falco can choose between super aggro and super campy and play both successfully. Fox can do this too. Peach can do this IN A SMALL SPACE. Most other top characters have to be defensive though to be played at their best.

But Hax, I do think Sheik has better shield pressure than you think slightly (not even CLOSE to peach/falco/fox though). I just see how they react after I get a hit (like if they like to roll away or whatever I'll start reading it later). Oh also, I'm willing to sit at the edge the entire game, but that's how I just play smash in general. Sorry you don't like it, but I play to win.

a cool trick against sheik and characters that Jab right when they land is to just mash crouch cancel grab (well shield grab, by holding R and mashing A while holding downwards). You can successfully shield grab sometimes if they mess up, but also if they jab right when they land, you're still mashing crouch cancel grab so you can still grab them. This will probably work against me telling you guys this though <_<
I agree with 1.

I know other characters' shield pressure isn't as good on shield. Other characters intimidate shields in different ways. Think about how Marths used to do it man, I know you played Ken so you know what I'm talking about.

Also I knew about that CC jab trick already for a while but I always forget to use it LOL. It's **** though.

No, I don't per say. His concept is sound but I think he's taking it farther then is practical because he's discounting the importance of having aggression as an option.

Yes, everything makes you committed, but it's a matter of how committed it makes you, and how many options you get in return.

Compare dashing in melee to dashing in brawl for example, why is walking utilized so much more in brawl then in melee (beyond tripping which is pretty trivial because of the low odds)? I know you know brawl well enough to understand exactly what I'm getting at.

Not if you're still directly attempting to space against the opponent and still punishing them if they let you in your optimal spacing.

This is really the rub of why the metagame will never develop into exactly what hax says, even though it definately will lean into that direction more. If you never are willing to take aggressive action and aggressively space your opponent can easily crowd you out and you've essentially let them inside without even really giving them a fight.

Hence him starting to show his age at this point, I think unless he develops defensive proficiency I think he will ultimately fall from the ranks of top players as hungry new players learn the reading skills he has and are more willing to play defensively.

Then I believe we have a fundamental disagreement.

Firstly, I'm actually talking about them in terms of separate situations because it's relatively rare to encounter both effects at the same time. You're right, people don't get hit with laggy moves out of standing position, they get hit out of them because they did something and got called out.

Secondly, stronger CC'ing works in standing position, walking, and I would assume any frame of a run that is run cancelable.

Honestly though, I don't have the reaction time nor the tools to test this myself, so I have to ask, can you CC mid-hitstun. I believe it's possible, and if so, a number of moves that would not normally be CC'able on reaction become CC'able. In addition, people can CC before they know they got hit, essentially as soon as they know that they messed about their spacing.

Absolutely agreed, I'm only pointing out that it's mere existence pushes the game to a more defensive game.

Yea it is, talked about above.

Ground approaches do tend to be laggier and therefore more punishable in general, but the point does stand that there are options against CC. Again, none of these issues are in the aether, no one point makes melee defensive. It's just that collectively, these points together make it tend to favor defense.

And I disagree, I think too many factors in melee in general make it lean significantly toward defense.

At the same time, being defensive isn't the same thing as not having a vibrant metagame, and the fact that melee significantly rewards baiting and occasionally going on offense while playing a generally defensive game means that it will always have a very vibrant metagame.

I like the way you put this, it essentially mirrors my views. The only real issue I have is that it discounts occasionally going on the offense to push the opponent in order to maintain space or as a read.

Honestly, I don't see what's so dreary about a proposed metagame where the balance is between defense and fake offense (with occasional legit offense).
Why is his concept sound?

And walking could be used much more in Melee. I've heard that Mango believes some characters space better when they walk. Walking is great in Melee, and just because it hasn't been shown in anyone's play yet doesn't mean it's bad. Walking is used more in Brawl because there are less options and everything is slower, so spacing slowly is more of the norm.

I'm well aware of reduced options from a dash, but what if I feel that options given from a dash cost less overall if the reward of playing on the fact that your opponent has a human reaction time nets hits gained through approaches?

Mango hasn't been playing as much. It doesn't matter why it happened, but eventually people caught up. Maybe it was inevitable anyway. At any rate, to discredit Mango's ability to innovate effective, aggressive play is just as wrong if not moreso than exaggerating defensive play's influence.

Got called out?

No, stronger CC only works when standing still. You can still ASDI down though as I said, but it's not as good.

Well, you can DI down in hitstun and it'll kinda depend on when you do it and what your % is I suppose. I'd think that really depends on matchup and % though. Sure, I suppose the option is available, but its abuse can also cause problems at times.

And I wouldn't say CC makes the game inherently more defensive. Heck, I've seen aggressive uses of CC. It's merely an option, like anything else.

If you want to say defensively CC'ing has more options than I'd call that nit-picking, as there are many ways to use options both aggressively and defensively in this game. It'd only be relevant if you came up with more significant ways CC'ing could be super defensive over offensive.

Which factors make it more defensive then? How do the use of these factors outweigh the use of such options in terms of offense?

What do you mean by vibrant?

I think the metagame will be defensive too, for now. We'll just have to hope we reverse things again eventually.

The term "fake offense" kinda bugs me because it implies real offense just can't exist. I don't think I necessarily agree with that because of how solid offensive play can test reaction time hard and give the defender plenty to react to. The ease of use may be in the defender's favor, but I wouldn't necessarily discount offensively-geared play as unviable simply because more options exist(this is all I have to go on until you tell me what all of the options do and how they work together to make Melee more defensive).

I would approach more if I had falco's SHL but with sheik or marth. I don't think attacking their shield with pressure counts as offensive play much. Having a shine or float cancel gives HUGE advantage there, where once you hit the shield you have a big advantage. If that counts as being aggressive then every peach and falco and fox player is aggressive.

PP I think if you didn't main Falco, you would see that -MOST- (majority) of characters are better defensively for the most part. Falco has better tools for approaching (lasers) and safe pressure on them (shine) than anyone else overall. It's not really your fault obviously but I think your view of this is not as good as it would be if you mained every character equally or half the cast equally. Over the years I've played melee I have been able to pick up about half the cast to a really high level (I was bored at home a lot and did it for fun), so that's where I base that off of. (I also think this is my downfall; I never put tons of effort into only 1 character. I only did that in brawl but UH OH LOOK WHAT HAPPENED THERE LOL). Mango just likes to attack because he's all about pressure and his cockiness persona/style, but that doesn't mean it's BETTER (as in, the most efficient way to win). I don't think there is a BIG difference between defense being better than offense, but they certainly aren't equal with MOST characters. With spacies I think it can be pretty close to 50 50 though I would agree on that.
Depends on the kind of pressure really. We're using the term "pressure" here kind of loosely, but obviously pressure should be designed to force some type of reaction from you. If you try to grab and get hit, then it could be said that you were pressured and then punished. This is kinda semantics lol so whatever.

I play other characters. Why do you have to make this personal? I understand defensive play and its benefits, I use those with all of my characters. This is largely because I don't understand offense enough though in my opinion. Can YOU honestly say you know much about offense, since you learned to win playing campy and you only decided being aggressive was even remotely viable once Mango whupped you a lot? I don't wanna resort to finger pointing like you but that's kinda where you're going with this.....

It doesn't matter WHY Mango attacks, it only matters that it works well. And it does.

Edit: well this thread went downhill fast. time to dip. it was fun guys

leffen

Smash Champion
Oh and if you put up your shield just before a Sheik fairs and they immediately jab it will hit your shield will still be up even if you let go of your shield asap. Its for the same reason that you can lock someone in shield with multishines even though it has frame gaps.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
I play other characters. Why do you have to make this personal? I understand defensive play and its benefits, I use those with all of my characters. This is largely because I don't understand offense enough though in my opinion. Can YOU honestly say you know much about offense, since you learned to win playing campy and you only decided being aggressive was even remotely viable once Mango whupped you a lot? I don't wanna resort to finger pointing like you but that's kinda where you're going with this.....

It doesn't matter WHY Mango attacks, it only matters that it works well. And it does.

Edit: well this thread went downhill fast. time to dip. it was fun guys
oh sorry I honestly wasn't trying to make it personal I just didn't know how to word it without still saying what I think. I just feel like the reason you think offense and defense are close to equal in this game is because you play space animals. All I am saying is that marth and sheik don't have as many good offensive options as space animals do, and that is why you might think that based around your main. I'm probably a little biased too I won't deny that. Example let's say space animals are like 55:45 for defense to offense ratio (made up numbers so you get the idea), for sheik it would be like 70:30 instead. Her best way to play efficiently is to counterattack, and her offensive options for approaching are less good. She's all about Zoning (like obviously this applies to every character, but %age wise she needs to do it because that's the optimal way to play her and imo the only truely good way to play her), she can't really approach like space animals can. I don't think anyone can approach like spacies can

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion

i'm confused m2k, you're talking about how PP only has spacie knowledge, but he plays other characters and does well with them, as you do fox, and other characters.

PP just did marth vs chillin a bit ago in tournament..

Hax

Smash Champion
me telling you that you're bad at this game, which you are, has nothing to do with argumentation, rather, the legitimate impression I got from you when we played. secondary or not, your Fox made plenty of universal errors i.e. not even sweetspotting the ledge on 2 occasions. the second failed sweetspot led to a downward ftilt -> stomp -> stomp gimp that was ****ing beautiful and the reason i remember this match so clearly. it was either a jv4 or a 3 stock/low %, btw. :cool:

plenty of the claims you've made in this thread (which Jason has shut down) show how little you know. you claim I don't budge in arguments; do you have any idea how false this is? I just changed my entire thesis after reading PP's post (which taught me a lot). I don't budge when you make an argument because your arguments make me think you picked Melee up a couple of months ago.

aside from Yoshi-related stuff you aren't very credible

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
like seriously I became second best in europes best country after 1 year with falco without knowing that you can delay and do early aerials. yeah.
how does this even happen?

Lol, **** having no voice tone on the interwebs.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Dude, i know pp has other chars and uses them, but I am simply saying that I think the reason he thinks that offense to defense is close to 50 50 is because he mains a space animal. Also I think I use more chars than anyone except maybe mango (i don't know we both use like half the cast at a really high level) and speaking from my own experience I think the vast majority of them are better defensively in terms of what is the best way to win.

leffen

Smash Champion
1.are you seriously saying that it was a Jv4 or a 3stock WHEN WE DIDNT EVEN FINISH THE MATCH?
And no, it wasnt three stock, it was 2 and I dont remember any nice stomp gimp that was "beautiful" so you must be talking about another person.

2. If it was me, sweetspotting with fox is much harder for ppl in PAL but you are obv way to ignorant to know it, AND it (was) is my barely played third best character.
And are you seriously using a single, unfinished moneymatch as a argument for how horrible I am?
How is that a legitimate opinion?

Oh and please show me off these horrible claims, and how Jason shut them down. Jason obviously didnt realize how what I ment with the shield pressure argument, what else?

@Trahh, I was obviously making fun of m2k thinking that I didnt know about it. Sigh.

and M2K, I can see how you are equally if not more biased coming from Brawl and maining Marth/Sheik.
PP just isnt dumb enough to try and use it as an argument like Hax (and you, to a degree)

Mew2King

King of the Mews
dude what the **** are you even talking about anymore, you just like to argue. The stuff I said about falco's pressure is accurate, and you ignored it saying that you didn't count the shine, and now you're calling me biased when I'm saying what I think is true and giving reasons why. You're seriously just being ignorant and rude

leffen

Smash Champion
I didnt say that your stuff was inaccurate. I agree with you, Falco has a advantage on someone shield, as DOES ANYONE, shielding sucks. He has one of the better advantages, sure, I just said that it stems from his shine, not from his aerials.

and I didnt say that your reasons/arguments were bad because that you are biased, I just said that you should realize that you are also biased, everyone is.

also I'm happy that your above post describes how Hax acts very accurately

Hax

Smash Champion
we finished the match lol. leffen, you get no points for trying to deny how badly I ***** you.. especially not when i let you keep your money after i was up 1 game.

stop trying to make yourself sound better than you are i.e. telling us that you reached 2nd best in Sweden in under a year. if this is true then Sweden must be pretty awful other than Armada cause i put my d*ck up your *** in the only game we've ever played. not a good look for Sweden ;/

seems like your ignorance has managed to piss Jason off as well. immature comebacks, disrespect towards those who know more than you... you remind me of myself 2 years ago.

leffen

Smash Champion
HAHAHAHAHA mind if I sig that?

and I dont really care if we finished game one or not (we didnt iirc), its still a horrible way of judging someone

Hax

Smash Champion
sig whatever you want. since when are you the one to ask for permission?

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
and now you're calling me biased when I'm saying what I think is true and giving reasons why.
But so was PP my dood..in very great detail i might add

being biased is inevitable, but it seems like every1 is taking a bias like a brick wall that can't see logic

leffen

Smash Champion
OH and btw I jv5 stocked you 3 games in a row therefor your arguments suck and your argumentation skills remind me of my grandma

omg stop denying it I let you keep your money yes I did man
and your CF is bad because you missed a knee 2 times which led to a combo this is my legitimate opinion and dont deny it because you like to put your genitals up mens butts
and yes I remember it and you dont and thats that because you missed 2 knees and I did a combo yeah and also you are immature and you talk bad to ppl .

What? this isnt the lying and talking out of our ***** about pointless matches thread?

Hax

Smash Champion
OH and btw I jv5 stocked you 3 games in a row therefor your arguments suck and your argumentation skills remind me of my grandma

omg stop denying it I let you keep your money yes I did man
and your CF is bad because you missed a knee 2 times which led to a combo this is my legitimate opinion and dont deny it because you like to put your genitals up mens butts
and yes I remember it and you dont and thats that because you missed 2 knees and I did a combo yeah and also you are immature and you talk bad to ppl .

What? this isnt the lying and talking out of our ***** about pointless matches thread?
this is what happened, Teczero.

leffen

Smash Champion
Yeah, I totally didnt make fun of how you ruined this thread earlier by starting to talk about matches out of your memory (You vs Taj, you vs me) and started insulting people (you vs Taj on SotG and calling me horrible at the game for example).

Yeah, I really didnt.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
this thread sucks now

I think it is completely pointless to talk about "theoretically perfect play" (which Hax's OP is based on) because we are never ever going to get there, we aren't even close, no one is, you still see people making tons of mistakes even on the top level of play, not to mention technical shortcomings.

Hax

Smash Champion
on page 12 (that's around where relevant discussion ends honestly) I try to direct the debate towards human-level play, which I agree is much more relevant. anyone still looking to discuss the OP should read up to page ~13

leffen

Smash Champion
A hax post that doesnt use personal memory/insults as a form of argument. Im proud that you realize that you ruined your thread by yourself ;)

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i think alot of people still want to read this, why don't you guys quit fighting (which comes off soooooo gay holy **** those last few posts from you guys LOLOL)

hax you should just grab the last post you have interest in debating and repost it at the end, i use 40ppp so i dont even know what page 12 is.

Hax

Smash Champion
re-posted from page 12 (roughly 50 posts ago):

Peepee's post is HIGHLY Falco-oriented. someone who plays one of the 3 characters I listed as exceptions to my argument (and one of the two god-tier ones, at that) is inherently going to disagree with many of my points. Fox and Falco AKA "mistakes" don't suffer from a variety of problems other characters do.

-not approaching=short term improvement. *Yes any big style change could throw someone off but if your fundamentals don't improve with it then good luck improving much beyond that short-term deal.
is that why Taj significantly improved his game, beat you, beat me, and got 3rd at Genesis the moment he began employing this strategy?

-the timeout and otherwise very lengthy matches seen at Genesis 2 were a result of Hungrybox committing to how he believes he has to play with Jiggz to win, and how much Armada hates Puff. Hbox, by not approaching, forced the match to take a long time because YL has noticeably worse approaches and since he has the projectiles it would be up to Puff to approach anyway(on a purely matchup-based level anyway.....not that I think many would disagree). Did you see any other sets going to time? I'd be very surprised if you did.
you play a character with a projectile, which you're failing to realize sped up** your matches vs Taj because it forced him to keep a close distance. (I call this distance "projectile distance;" it's the space you have to keep between yourself and Fox/Falco so that you can threaten to hit them if they attempt to laser.) this does not exempt Taj, nor anyone else who keeps this distance from their opponent, from playing extremely defensively. he still waited for YOU to make the first move so that he could punish; he just needed to keep the distance so that you couldn't theoretically laser him forever.

**human error is the reason keeping projectile distance speeds up matches; when you're keeping a close distance to your opponent so that you can threaten to interrupt his projectiles, you're also faced with plenty of situations where a shffl'd nair/other approach LOOKS safe but actually isn't. whereas, you would never attempt said approach if your opponent was all the way across the map.

as for Taj vs opponents that either don't have a projectile (me) or have a subpar one (Armada).... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. said matches literally came down to ~1 minute left on the timer due to both players knowing that whoever made the first move would be putting himself at a huge disadvantage. whoever approached, at best, got 1 hit on their crouch-cancelling opponent and was then forced to flee because the hitstun on the CC'er would expire before the person approaching could combo into anything else.

for example: while everyone else was awestruck, thinking "OMG MEWTWO IN WINNER'S FINALS!!!!1!!11", Scar and i were thoroughly studying Taj vs Armada. this was an extremely tedious task, considering the best combo in this entire set was 2 hits.

2 hits.

Taj fled from Armada for the entirety of games 1 and 2, poking with tilts/aerials whenever Armada would move forward with a move and space it incorrectly. Armada, the combo machine prior to his match with Taj.... did the same. nair -> run away. turnip -> run away. because both players are CC'ing whenever possible, hit and run becomes the best strategy. this is top level melee. what you saw next in GF's was not top level melee; it was Mango being a dumb*ss and throwing the set.

Game 1 was on Yoshi's and lasted 5:16; abnormally long for a game played on Yoshi's.

Game 2 was on Pokemon Stadium, and lasted 7:04. the moment these players were given a bigger stage to work with, their defensive styles truly began to shine. when a game lasts 7+ minutes, it essentially counts as a time out; the only reason it ended before the 8 minute mark is because the person losing (Taj) became forced to approach (and lose as a result).

in Game 3, Taj, realizing he couldn't out-gay Armada, thought he'd try the strategy of approaching. failing to realize that this is the worst strategy (especially with Marth) in the game, Taj got mercilessly ***** the moment he stopped camping and turned off the Gamecube ~3 minutes into the match.

my set vs Taj earlier in winner's bracket, which sadly isn't on Youtube, was virtually identical. both matches lasted 7 minutes, and were entirely hit and run other than 2 combos: in game 1, the one time Taj approached me with an aerial the entire set, he got naired into a near 0-to-death combo / in game 2, i was forced to approach Taj at the very end because the match almost timed out, and got dthrowed -> fsmashed twice by the ledge for my stock. you approach, you lose.

if you aren't Fox, Falco, and in some cases Peach, there is a strong correlation between camping and success that can be witnessed in the aforementioned sets. you're right; I didn't see most sets go to time. what I saw was all the best players' (except for Mango) sets go to time.

You are also forgetting that one of the top players, Mango, has a very effective offensive style. How can the metagame be entirely defensive-based if Mango does well playing so "incorrectly?"
i'd like to emphasize that one of the top players, Mango, has a very effective offensive style. a needle in a haystack isn't going to disprove my theory, Kevin. especially not when this needle is the same person doing TAS-esque stuff and destroying people with Mario a year ago. Mango is, honestly, too good at this game. i can't stress enough how perfectly he plays offense; compare this to the skill necessary to succeed playing defensively, and it becomes a no-brainer than defense > offense in Melee.

-Peach. *I found the use of Peach odd here. Peach has a very difficult time approaching as it is because of her extremely low mobility. She gets camped hard. Just because she has great shield pressure doesn't mean she is necessarily geared towards offense when it is tough for her to catch her opponent in the first place as well as pin them down.
-*I don't really believe Peach's shield pressure is broken either for the simple fact that you can roll away from her and she'd basically have to call the roll in order to get you. Peach's pressure might be great but if the reaction she forces is nearly unpunishable by her then how good is it really?
her priority and attack speed more than makes up for her lack of movement speed. Peach decimates anyone directly in front of her with fc'd nairs and dsmashes, whether they're standing, cc'ing, or shielding. as a Falco player, you have some of the best keepaway/zoning tools vs Peach so naturally you're going to disagree with me. vs non-Fox/Falco, good Peach players certainly have sufficient tools for getting in on the opponent.

even if you roll from Peach's shield pressure and she doesn't react fast enough to directly punish you with a grab/fc nair/dsmash, it is fairly easy for her to react fast enough to run to you so that she's directly in front of you, which is all that matters. as long as Peach is next to her opponent, she can continue her onslaught of fc nair/dsmash/ridiculously good jab/grab. as a Falcon player, I can assure you that Peach is one of the hardest characters to get away from when she has you trapped in shield.

-*I personally believe Melee has the potential to allow for many characters(many more than just the top and high tiers at LEAST) to be aggressive. All of the movement options and great fall speeds and speedy attacks and tough combos that momentum can help out are all wonderful assets that only aggressive play enjoys. Not to mention the stage control advantage granted to aggressive players which exerts its own psychological and, really, physical influence on the opponent. Being backed up against the edge is a difficult position because you can't retreat and, without considering anything else(even though there is much more to consider), one has less options. Aggressive play can, when successful, limit options. How is that wrong or ineffective?
another matter you don't fully comprehend as a Falco player

the fact of the matter is that non-Fox/Falco/Peach characters don't have good shield pressure options once they're on the ground. this means that after they aerial the opponent's shield, it becomes a matter of mindgames/outplaying them, whereas Fox/Falco/Peach have braindead aerial -> shine or fc nair -> dsmash to force the opponent to roll.

some characters don't even have a good aerial to shield pressure with! Marth's fair does next to no shieldstun, Falcon's knee/stomp take way too long while his other options do garbage hitstun, Sheik's shorthop is way too high for her to shield pressure well, etc. offense is simply illogical with these characters; anyone playing defensively with good reaction time won't even struggle vs your shield pressure (unless, like I said before, you do phenomenal sh*t with these characters)

god i wish i played Falco

-*Spacie shield pressure isn't actually safe, if you're going by frames. There's more than a few frames to punish too, so as long as one knows the holes in shield pressure then it is simply a guessing/conditioning game that can wind up with you feeling too pressured and rolling or you getting the punish on the spacies and scaring them from pressuring/intimidating them from trying for much pressure. On a more human front, spacie pressure is pretty intimidating so it can be tough to always recognize where the holes are. Shield DI and buffering(rolls/spotdodges) can be very helpful with escape though, so that pressure is far from broken. Notice that, for humans, I listed both pro-offensive and pro-defensive traits of spacie shield pressure(aka pros and cons of it). Does this not seem to suggest that pressure is only what the player(s) make of it then?
-Autopilot pressure *basically the pressure can't be autopilot because the frame holes exist. Mixing up pressure, even for Peach becomes essential since frame holes allow for punishments or escapes from the opponent. Because the mixups are required then there is always a solid answer to whatever someone is doing to pressure you, and in that way you have a chance at control. It comes down to who is reading or playing better, not who is spamming the more broken tactic.
yes, there are frame holes. if there weren't, then Fox/Falco/Peach would trap their shielded opponents in an infinite shieldstun and nobody would even dispute them being the 3 best characters in the game and they would be banned from competitive play.

frame holes don't exempt Fox/Falco/Peach shield pressure from being broken.

I want you to tell me what OOS options my character (or anyone without a ridiculously fast aerial that covers the entire space in front of you a la Fox/Falco nair or Peach/nair) can do about them when the shield pressurer is spacing/timing his moves appropriately.

NOTHING

-Crouch-canceling *This is a really good argument in itself for defensive play. To assume this also includes ASDI down when getting hit by a move even if you're acting, CC'ing can reverse otherwise free combo situations around on the attacker. Instead of viewing this as a need to play defensively though, I see it as another layer/option to get around when approaching, or rather I'd try to get someone moving when I approach them so they couldn't really CC/focus on CC'ing. It must also be noted that CC is % dependent, meaning only useful things can be done from CCs at lower percents and at higher percents it won't work.
yeah, when I say CC'ing it includes ASDI down. wanna see something that disgusted me? 3:38 in Taj vs Armada. Taj does his famous usmash taunt, giving Armada a CLEAN HIT on him. in any other game, Taj would have eaten a ton of damage because Armada would have landed his best punish. but since this is Melee and defense is OP, Armada's best punish was a single nair because Taj ASDI'd it. it turns out he could've followed the nair with a dash attack for some additional damage, but he would've had to react to the ASDI down. even then, that's an extremely weak punish granted Armada had a clean hit on Taj.

-SDI *This is a wonderful defensive layer I'm glad was added into the game. Giving many unique DI options and allowing people to survive by understanding when they will be hit moments before they are is pretty cool to me. Falco's combos would also be ******** without SDI LOL. But yeah SDI doesn't necessarily negate combo starters as most people are trying to avoid the hit not SDI it when they get hit(especially at low %s). Besides, SDI'ing away often puts you offstage which is a position where you can't really play defensively anymore because you must recover. Just because you can SDI out of a combo doesn't mean you are out of it. If I SDI hard up against Marth as pretty much anyone then I'm far from free because I still have the juggling potential that Marth's high priority Uair and uptilt in particular grant him when he gets his opponent above him.
SDI can be wonderful, but it can also be hell. the example you gave is pro SDI; I agree that being able to SDI out of Falco's combos is healthy for the game. being able to SDI the 2nd hit of Falcon's nair, the ONLY relatively fast move he has that combos into grab, however, is not. when Mango and I played Falcon ditto friendlies at Pound 4, the few good nairs we got on each other (due to how hard it is to land both hits) often didn't go into grab because we would just SDI up and away from each other. that is just dumb.

-Except fox throwing backward *Fox's bthrow sets up for great shine kills so nah. Falco gets away with some silly Bthrow gimps occasionally too.
just wanted to say that I respect your ability to acknowledge parts of my argument that you truly agree with, rather than skip them and take an entirely negative stance against my theory.

that being said, this concerns Melee's equivalent of a corner: the ledge. specifically, it concerns the risk top tier characters run in getting themselves cornered: not much. turning the tides on your opponent who has you cornered is too easy, sometimes even favorable, with characters like Sheik/Marth/Jiggs/Peach. it's bad to get cornered as Fox/Falco, but they still have stupid reversal options such as the ones you mentioned.

even the characters with poor reversal options such as C. Falcon still have access to the plethora of escape mechanisms Melee grants you: fullhopping over the opponent, running straight through the opponent (you can't do this in traditional fighters, which makes cornering MUCH stronger in them), ledgehop -> 180 degree [perfect] waveland -> roll into the stage, etc. the fact that you can just run straight through them is really what kills it. cornering yourself in this game is nowhere near as deadly as it is in traditional fighters, thus, encouraging defensive play.

-*Sheik can have the edge taken from her ledgestall and she could either die or at least get her big recovery lag hit for it. Sheik's grab range isn't broken as it is smaller than Marth's, whose grab range is actually huge. Sheik's edgeguarding can also be beaten, even if it is quite effective. Besides, being in an edgeguard position is usually unfavorable to the guy recovering anyway. I'd think it would favor defense more if the guy getting knocked off didn't have to worry about his recovery much and didn't have to feel pressured by the edge that he could die.
Jman vs Amsah

S2J vs M2K

the majority of characters don't have anything remotely broken enough by the ledge to make it worth running the risk of getting bthrow gimped by Sheik, who has ridiculous grab range (idk what you're talking about) and edgeguarding. it's MUCH more logical to fight Sheik in the middle of the stage.

-*Peach's recovery is hardly broken. She is a floaty character with a good recovery, but being completely helpless during her up-B is very far from a broken characteristic. She can mix in a drop that she is still entirely vulnerable doing and that's it.
she's not as good as Marth/Sheik/Jiggs by the ledge, but she's still very good. dsmash becomes even more bullsh*t by the ledge (instant death if you don't perfectly space around her CC even once), and her recovery is fairly good if she's able to recover high.

-*Puff likes gimping people but it is not especially easy for her. She has pound and bthrow onstage, and so long as you bait her out a little then you should be very safe from both. If anything, Jiggz can only retreat to the edge if she tries to space vs you there, so just let her run there or let her try to push out and you'll be fine.
you must be forgetting Jigglypuff's pseudo-invincible ledgestall that the majority of the cast has no response to and deserves to be banned from competitive play

or her bthrow -> instant death vs most characters

or that she can't be edgeguarded; this strips the very purpose you'd want to corner your opponent in the first place

-Citing top players *Again, this is how the better players have turned out. The better players in 03-07 were primarily aggressive ones, so who's to say that the game suddenly changed, or maybe it was us instead? If a great SF player(forgot the name it's been a while) quit SF because everyone was getting campy recently, and if 64 is getting campier when it looked primarily aggro and it's been out longer than Melee, then doesn't that just sound like the metagame, the PEOPLE, have shifted that way instead of necessarily believing that that is what defines Melee?
it was honestly Brawl that shifted our metagame so much. when Melee players tried Brawl, an undeniably campy game, in 2008, we unintentionally returned to Melee with newly acquired defensive tactics under our belts. the "hit and run" theme that dominates Brawl rubbed off on us, and has since proved to be just as effective in our game (as well as Smash 64 too, apparently).

March 9th, 2008 was a ****ing horrible day

-*If one jumps in at a bad time in Melee, then either delaying an aerial or double jumping away will be safe the vast majority of the time. Most people space away from the big aerial move, especially when they see someone jump. Why would they be ready to attack a double jump they never see anyone do? If you make an error in judgment while jumping in, then unless you DJ at the very last second when they were starting to come in anyway and will follow your jump, then you will probably be fine. Obviously, if you make that error in judgment a lot then I question if we are still discussing high level play here, but an emergency double jump back once a set or so is perfectly safe for the most part(you could still be pressured after it though). Jumping in, in general, can be very effective as it establishes the threat of that particular move and by forcing your opponent to respect it you can determine how to punish their reaction the next time you're at that spacing instead of using that same move the same way again asking to be punished(in your case it sounds like going in hard with a move getting DD grabbed is how you use things a lot and I'd say that's a bad idea yeah).
For the record, my stance of Melee is you need a healthy balance to be successful, or maybe you have a slight lean towards defensive or aggressive play. Being able to understand and utilize tools related to both offensive and defensive tactics is key, regardless.
these two quotes concern human error, which is something i've learned a lot about through this discussion. I somewhat agree with you here, Kevin, and I'm going to amend my thesis as a result. I'll explain first.

the jump you just described is a bait. when 2 theoretically perfect machines play, baiting is entirely useless because they are both playing entirely on reaction and, in this case, your jump will be reacted to on the same frame by an appropriate anti-air move. something I've been trying to establish throughout this thread is that when one person is on the ground, and his opponent is in the air next to them, the person on the ground wins the tradeoff at theoretically perfect play. I have not changed my mind about this.

when 2 humans play, however, baiting is necessary in order to force your opponent into a punishable situation, i.e. L-cancel lag. when 2 pros play, why would one of them ever recklessly whiff an aerial, knowing that he will be punished for it?

because of this dilemma, a more accurate way to describe the way I envision optimal human play would be "fake offense." meaning, generally defensive play with occasional baits that attempt to trick your opponent into doing something offensive and making himself punishable. the most elementary example would be dashdancing forward, then backward, then forward again to bait -> grab an aerial; of course, 10 years into the game, we see far more complex baits than this one - it was just an example.

I wouldn't call it a "healthy balance" between offense/defense (which is what Kevin calls it). I'd call it defense designed to look like a healthy balance between offense/defense in order to trick your opponent into making mistakes.

~~~

^in bold is where i'm trying to head the discussion

this post was entirely a response to PP's post ~50 posts ago (my post was #179 in response to PP's post #136). it's been responded to since then; scroll back for responses..

Top Bottom