• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong Teams Thread - Current Discussion: Marth (Last Update 9/23/10)

D0N

Smash Ace
Wtf, where were all you banana supporters before? Why was I arguing with only Rag before? I need you people to post more often, I dont like teams all that much and dont have enough experience to really argue anything. I just try to argue cuz hardly anyone else does. Yea I made this thread and all, but I just wanted to manage a thread. It feels like some people are afraid they will look bad for arguing or making suggestions, but if you feel that way then these boards will always be dead. If your not, then stop being a lazy troll and post!

Im not raging here, you guys are all cool, just saying... The boards need life...

Ill do the update sometime this week.

D0N

Smash Ace
Alright double DK is next

-General strats
-pros and cons
-team combos
-good stages
-bad stages
-ratings
-vids

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
double DK gets ***** by tornado :(

not true, DKs should be on opposite sides on each other so if a MK does use tornado the other one does a down b or power shield D-smash as the attack is finishing.

me and ook FTW

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
DDD DK *****. What can DK do with Wario? Can we bury people with side b out of Wario's bite if wario has a higher controller port?

minford10

Smash Cadet
so is 1 or 4 the best port...that seems weird though, why would they make the port have an impact on gameplay?

not disagreeing or anything, it just seems stupid

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
so is 1 or 4 the best port...that seems weird though, why would they make the port have an impact on gameplay?

not disagreeing or anything, it just seems stupid
It depends on what you are trying to achieve, tbh. Port 1 gives you priority over your opponent if you both grab at the same time, but Port 4 gives you the ability that Daisho mentioned.

I'd say that in teams though, it's typically smarter to go 4th. Unless of course your partner has a better grab game than you. :p

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
okay so DK&DK is a 7/10 because of such ridiculous power and grab combos

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
A double DK team has 10 stocks basically. Sounds like the perfect team to me.

ardirok

Smash Apprentice
Well, DK can cargo dthrow with another DK forever If there´s only one enemy lol

I´m going doubles with DK in the next tourney that I will enter.

I will use every good info that I got here and I will post the result later.

Wish me luck

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
If you can do it with one you could do it with 2 just switching opponents each time. Also if you're teaming with DDD and you grab after they dthrow you're at the perfect spacing to dtoss into the DDD's grab if they turn around in place.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
I haven't tested it but I'm pretty sure you can Dtilt lock with 2 DKs. On that note, you can do it with a lot of other chars too (pretty much all who get a wall lock with Dtilt). A friend of mine and I always Dtilt lock people from like 0-100% to Dmash or Punch for an easy finish. It just takes a little bit of spacing.

The only disadvantage a Ditto Team would have imo would be if somehow both DKs get caught in some kind of chain grab at the same time (DDD or Wario or Flaco etc). But the chances are slim. Good teamwork and being vocal should help all other instances.

In short:

-Pros: both good aggressors and stock holders, large amount of KOing power, knowing your teammates moveset/what he'll most likely do, etc
-Cons: confusion of whos who, large hurtboxs so easy to get hit by EVERYTHING, acceptable to dual chain grabs, etc
-Team Combos: Dtilt locking, cargo throw to smash, Utilt to Bair, DownB to Bair, etc
-Good Stages: Pokemon Stadium (it has room and a Dtilt lock, plus platforms that I like. Only lip is bad imo), Delfino and Halberd (UpB through map is really good for damage, coming to aid, and recovering).
-Bad Stages: Frigate Orpheon (edges, small, and changes don't help), FD (no real advantage but some match-up disadvantages imo), and Smashville (for same reasons as FD).
-Ratings: I'd give it probably a 9/10 or at least an 8/10. The weight + KO power is just to good imo. The only real downside is getting KO'd low by your partner or getting hit by good projectile spacers to death.

CARNiVOOR

Smash Rookie
DK's have a down throw lock until around 50%. Cargo down is an infinite, and regular cargo mode can be used to just rack up damage with spinning kong. (Cargo super armor)

In this teams match, as long as the DKs stay close, they can abuse smashes. A shielded smash from one DK can lead to a shield being broken by the other one. I've personally seen two DKs charge smashes on either side of both opponents, and the others were so scared that they could do nothing but shield and get destroyed by both.

DK has no projectiles, so very low chance of messing up the other DK during fights. His high weight let's him live through accidental smashes also.

I'd give this a 9/10.

D0N

Smash Ace
Move on to Wario, ill update this for double DK later. As always...

-General strats
-pros and cons
-team combos
-good stages
-bad stages
-ratings
-vids

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I'm teaming with a Wario at a tournament later today. I'll let you guys know how we did it once we win. :chuckle:

D0N

Smash Ace
Hmm... I think that needs to go on the front page somewhere when I make an update...

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Dropping by to say, what a great thread D0N

I hope you guys touch on Link, because I partner with a DK player and I think the way we play totally clashes. Also we don't really have any tactics and stuff.

Anyways keep u the good work. :)
I might even steal this idea...

Darth Destro

Smash Cadet
Hello, Donkey Kong Brawlers! I have recently started a thread about different pairings for Toon Link in Team Brawls, and I would greatly appreciate some input on a TL + DK match. You can find the thread here. Any info would be tremendously helpful.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Yes lets get going.

DISCUSSION FOR FALCO IS UP.

Also I made a few changes to the main post just to make some things clearer and change some things to my preferences but just a few slight edits.

But yeah guys try to give your opinions with the format in the main post in mind while you post your thoughts.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Falco's Down Throw set's up nicely for a free hit for DK.

Because of DK's big stature and depending if the Falco uses lasers in teams, then we're going to have some interference issues in this team.

But the matching of DK's punisher and stock tanking goes well with Falco's DPS. Is he a DPS? I'm not sure it's taking too long to find the thread with my horrible net :mad:

If DK's getting sandwiched by the opponent Falco could help break it apart with his Phantasm and maybe lasers?

Big stages like FD and Pictochat might be good. Yoshi Island though good for DK might not be so good for Falco.

Also you should go into the Falco boards and ask them for some input on how Falco works in teams. I'll come with you and send an invite, since the more people asking for advice the better.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Holy double post batman.

In all seriousness there were some nice points you brought up. But yeah I think we might as well visit the falco boards since he's such a weird character to analyze in teams, though I don't really know where to find a dubz thread there or even a metagame thread. Also I'll add some of your points to the OP :]

Though some points you said that I was iffy with was how lasers and phantasms could help DK get "un-sammiched". Lasers could potentially help DK in a sandwich situation but to me it would harm DK because for one lasers would come from one side so of course it would either hit the opponent to make him back off or hit DK if he dodges while the other opponent partner uses all that as a sponge to avoid lasers.

Though phantasm is probably a good "reset" move as in it'll stop whatever combo the opposing team is trying to do on DK since it spikes so it'll probably just bring everything to a halt so DK can get back on his feet.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah whenever my internet is slowed it usually double posts. :mad:

Yeah most of points could be wrong I'm only taking guesses here in hopes that something useful might come up.

I'll go send an invite now.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Falco isn't the ideal teams partner.

First of all his bread and butter laser can't be spammed willy nilly because he now has a partner to consider. Not only that, but DK is a giant bumbling ape, so it's even harder to fire them without poor monkey boy getting in the way.

Obviously there could be some slick combos like CG > Spike (or not) to DK Side B to **** but it's all hypothetical and really DKs if you want a teams partner, Falco isn't my top recommendation.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
I have no idea how Falco would work with DK from experience, as I've never played it.

In theory, I wouldn't think it would be good, since both Falco and DK need a character to support them, and neither provide very good support for each other.

Falco isn't the best teams character, but he can do well with certain setups. For instance, he can spam lasers overhead while an MK or Diddy stays grounded under the lasers, using their ground game plus the lasers to become a very substantial threat.

I wouldn't think that Falco would work well with DK though, just because DK is so big and gets combo'd a lot, but Falco can't really help save DK very well... additionally, Falco also gets combo'd and needs saving, but DK can't do that very well either.

Again, this is all speculation though, as I've never actually played Falco / DK in teams (obviously).

Top Bottom