• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong Teams Thread - Current Discussion: Marth (Last Update 9/23/10)

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
lol yeah xonar is too the point. So I'm guessing 5/10 then? I may need some pros though and maybe some more cons, and is there any setups they can do? But yeah does everybody agree with 5/10 or should it be lower or higher?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
What would 10 be and what would 1 be? 1 lose everything, 10 win nationals? Like, if you want to place decent you won't be wanting to use this team.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
What would 10 be and what would 1 be? 1 lose everything, 10 win nationals? Like, if you want to place decent you won't be wanting to use this team.
To tell you the truth, I wasn't owner of this thread when metaknight and DK were voted a 10. That discussion was from 09 so I don't know exactly how to define a 10. I guess a 10 would be characters who's playstyles perfectly complement each other and is generally a great team. 1 well of course the opposite, teams almost designed to work against each other. Imo it should be a 1-5 system but I guess the 10 system is ok unless you guys want it changed.

But yeah take it as you want it. I say its a 5/10 or below but what do you think?

Silfa

Smash Ace
I think the rating system is only relative to how well the partner works with DK. I would imagine a 10 represents the best possible team mate DK can have, while lower numbers such as 1-3 or something are the worst for him.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Right silfa. Plus, guys I explained how the rating system worked a while ago in the OP so uh yeaaahhhhh. Also, you have to remember to base the rating on what DK NEEDS. He's a very meh carry (straight offensive clutch 2v1) but is one of the best stock tanks in the game so just fill in his weaknesses with his partner's strengths and you have a high rating.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Is there anything left you want people to discuss on this pairing before moving on?

Also Silfa if your lurking how was teaming with Snake at the tourney yesterday?

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Well I was actually just waiting to see if anybody wanted to give anymore feedback. But yeah I was just gauging what people are going to join in the discussion. But considering stuff to discuss I just need some pros unless this team is so horrid to the point where there is no pros lol.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I'd say 4/10. It could work, but well, it'd have to be like on a level that it is mindbending.

Fact of the matter is, both characters interfere with each other way too much, whether it be with DK's big attacks or Falco's lasers or whatnot. Plus, both characters don't have the best of recoveries and can't really help each other offstage or anything.

I just can't see it working to the extent that someone would want to intentionally use it all the time.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Thanks rapture I guess I'll put a 3/10 just because of the pure interference ****. Full writeup up soon and then move on to the next character.

EDIT: Nevermind I guess 4/10 after talking with will and other people, they convinced me. Guess your right Rapture.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
WARIO DISCUSSION HAS STARTED

So yeah if I get a good response if you guys disagree with the falco writeup then we'll go back and rediscuss BUT NOW lets discuss wario.

marmitonkiller

Smash Apprentice
I think wario could be a good partner for DK because he can give dammage pretty quick he doesnt die easily we can setup some deadly combo like DK dthrow to wario waft also I dont think wario is realy disadventaged by his terrible grab release in team because if someone try to grab release him we only have to hit him before wario release also wario have a realy good recovery so I think he should save DK from many gimp I think it should be like 8/10

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
I think wario could be a good partner for DK because he can give dammage pretty quick he doesnt die easily we can setup some deadly combo like DK dthrow to wario waft also I dont think wario is realy disadventaged by his terrible grab release in team because if someone try to grab release him we only have to hit him before wario release also wario have a realy good recovery so I think he should save DK from many gimp I think it should be like 8/10
Right, and there grab release combo potential almost tempts me to give it a 9/10. Anything else guys? Also I may go to the wario boards on this one too.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Wario's hax air movement could be fantastic support for helping DK out. This is another team that won't ever die.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
The great thing about this team is that both characters have killing power, staying power and at least decent movement, Wario better than DK in this case. I haven't tested it myself, but it seems like a pretty legit team mostly because of how aggressive this team can be, as well as very supportive.

The biggest factor is that both characters definitely have the killing power, especially with DK. DK is obviously better on the ground, Wario in the air. It seems like it would be a great team.

I'd definitely like to see some more input from anyone who has tested this, as well as any Wario mains who would like to provide some info.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Bump da hump. Need some more feedback and I tryed to coax the wario boards to give some feedback but I may need some help. Though really guys, give me all your opinions even if you are theorycrafting or think you have no say because I don't like writing up my own opinions ;)

D0N

Smash Ace
I don't remember what happens if wario bites someone and you hit him while he's chewing, but I think he doesn't get hurt. Someone should find out for sure, that way we know if we can 9 wind or something.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I don't remember what happens if wario bites someone and you hit him while he's chewing, but I think he doesn't get hurt. Someone should find out for sure, that way we know if we can 9 wind or something.
There is always that really nice Fsmash.... :p

Omg, Grab release too Usmash FFFTTWWW!!

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Ok well I guess instead of leaving characters blank Ill just have characters labeled as my opinion A.K.A theorycrafted. That way when hopefully this gets done then we can rediscuss those and see if they need any changes. Expect a update tomorrow and sorry for loss of updates but I thought this thread was REALLY dead until I saw it almost at the top of the thread list lol.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Wario's bite is a great combo move for DK. Along with Dthrow I think. Wario spacing Fairs on one side and DK spacing Ftils/Dtilts/Bairs can be great pressure in the middle. Cargo into waft puts you at a safe distance. It's hard for these to to save each other though, since both Uairs are fairly strong.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
KING DEDEDE DISCUSSION STARTED

Don't fail me now guys lol.

Skipped Wario due to inactivity so hopefully D3 will get things started. Also infinite shenanigans gogogogogogo.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
DDD can set up kills for DK, with Down Throw! But DDD is so fat and will just get sandwiched, in fact this team will probably get sandwhiched since both characters are pretty big.

Will post more later, I just wanted to say that picture fails and this picture wins

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
D3s dthrow combos into like all of our moves. But these two can spend a lot of time getting juggled especially DK. Waddle Dee/Doo and Gordo can be hard to avoid with DK due to his big frame.

But the two have great tilts and bairs.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Bump for any potential negatives about these guys. So yeah just needing some summaries and overall what your rating is pwease.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
I played a DK + D3 vs GW + MK. They can really destroy this team like many of the other fast characters. Since they are too sluggish it would be difficult for them to establish something.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Ok so basically they have awesome setups but little assistance towards helping each other out with being easily juggled based on their frame but at the same time their both good stock tanks. Also no offense KoSa but somebody else needs to say something because your the only one who's been giving opinions lol.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
this team is terrible. trust me. the ONLY nice thing about this team is D3's d-throw>Dk f-smash> regrab is a legit combo because of the hitstun

D0N

Smash Ace
You can d-throw to ledgehop spike and its legit. That's kind of universal with D3 though. D3 can inhale and spit DK out and it hurts since the spit out thing works by weight. I dont think the team is terrible, but it does have alot of weaknesses. It seems like there is lots of power with things like cargo throw to fsmash or D3 d-throw to whatever, but its tuff to control and is all they have. Well that and living forever. It can be fun to play. If you can set up swallowcides with cargo throw while D3 is near death that helps, especially since you have 2 stock tanks.

If you've ever played those games where they have a huge boss that can take alot of hits, is way to slow to hit you, but when you get hit you die, thats what this reminds me of. Also this team gets wrecked by bulletseed lol, but when will that move happen anyway. 5/10 imo.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Ill have a summary tomorrow or maybe the day after because I r haz super headcold.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Open space for D3 cgs, and more dthrow combos. Delfino for DK to just go crazy. On BF I find I get comboed a lot here I guess cause its easy to attack people from anywhere on the stage. PS1 not the best of choices, along with RC.

PurpleTop

Smash Cadet
In regard to stages, obviously Yoshi's Island is awesome for both DDD and DK. Same goes for Halberd and Smashville. I feel like this team is one where the teammates need to be separated, so Norfair or the bigger part of Castle Siege are good stages for them as well.

With this team, the characters definitely need to be seperated. Both are good finishers, so there is that divide and conquer aspect, as well a lot of DDD's attacks go all around his body, so DK needs to stay clear. This may not be the best of teams though because DDD has his little side B deal where he throws a waddle-doo. DK can get in the way of these. Plus both of these characters may have trouble building up damage on characters at low %. Overall I do not think that this would make a very effective team.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for stage input.

Kay so I put 4/10 as a rating based on what I'm getting so post if you disagree with the rating or anything else I put(pro's,cons,stages,summary, etc.) and after that we'll move on.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
So nobody disagrees then? If everybody's ok with it then I guess I'll edit this post in like a day or two to move on to the next character, so yeah until then speak your soooouulllll.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Ok then well with the overwhelming response I'm getting /sarcasm we can move on I guess. Based on the updated ranking list Marth should be next sooooooooooooooooo

MARTH DISCUSSION STARTED

steep

Smash Lord
Hey DK boards! My name is steep, and I main Mario and Luigi in teams mostly. What is your guys' advice on those two teaming with DK? My good friend mains DK so he and I are trying to look into playing doubles at tourneys sometime in the future. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Neon!

Smash Lord
Me and Ripple went DK/marth (I went DK) at mlg dallas so I guess I could say a few things.

Ideally for these two I would have marth on the offensive and dk defensive. I'm not sure why but their spacing seems to complement each other, Me and ripple did well controlling the center of the stage while staying out of each others way. Marth's great air speed and range just fit well with dk's fast tilts and down-b it seems. This team will have trouble with characters like diddy/mk/olimar who just have better ground control. They will also have trouble with extreme stages like fd (getting camped) and RC (getting gimped) BF is probably the best neutral since they both work very well with platforms.

good stages-
BF
YI

Bad Stages-
RC
Frigate
FD

Overall I'd give them a 6/10, their lack of options against double diddy or mk makes it very hard for these to place well. Their spacing seems to work well but they lack projectiles and dk often has a hard time avoiding projectiles.

I'll be waiting for Ripple's response to this before I add anything else.

Top Bottom