• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does a lack of "true combos" hurt Brawl?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Wait, what? What kind of situation are we talking about here? I don't think you can say all those options are bad for Roy, all the time. And, there's options you didn't include. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here.
That having a lot of options doesn't mean anything if they are bad or not as helpful, go up against Ice Climbers and Roy cries.

I don't doubt that there are character specific techs in Brawl. A good deal of them are even useful. I still hold that Melee gives you more options.
Glide tossing defines Diddy Kong game play a lot, that is not debatable.

Charge canceling gives options, because it makes a shield not pop up when you go for a grab, fair, nair, bair, grab, dair.

I agree that there's no depth in deciding whether or not to L-cancel. I meant that in Melee you at least have the option to L-cancel, whereas in Brawl you just have to eat the lag (unless the aerial auto-cancels, and not all do). Yes, it's always the best option to L-cancel, and so you should always be doing it, but it still allows you to do more stuff out of your jumps.
I'm not arguing that with L canceling, I'm saying that the concept is flawed as it's applied in Melee.

If we're arguing which is the deeper competitive game, accessibility isn't really a factor. I already shared my thoughts on Brawl's accessibility so whatev
Less accessibility means less players, less players means less competition.

That's basically all I wanted. It's already known that viable options were removed in Brawl. Some were added in turn, but IMO not enough. I guess that's debatable.
The game is fine option wise.

Yep.

On Wi-Fi.

When I mained Jigglypuff.

And I was a Melee player.

Who had only been to one tournament.

Why do you ask?
You claim to destroy people or know well about the game, I've questioned this before in the Mario Bros thread you made.

Sliq

Smash Master
RR just gave us brawl results. How about some recent melee results? Last 3 or 4 melee nationals, top 32 or so. I'm not about to go digging around the melee boards for them, when I see that it's basically all fox, jiggs, and peach in the vids.
I'm sure someone has compiled data for both games, but I'm certainly not going to because that's a lot of effort, and I really don't care that much.

Also, percentage doesn't matter. You're entirely wrong on that count.
I see where you're going with that, but it DOES matter, just a little. There are clearly enough characters in Melee to be used competitively, as well as Brawl. But if Melee has 5 characters and Brawl has 6, is it really a victory for Brawl balance?

Why would it? Brawl is more balanced, with a more variable metagame. Doesn't matter if Melee has less unviable characters, it also has less viable characters. Which game is deeper and better for competition, the game with 4 evenly matched characters and no others, or the game with 5 evenly matched characters and 100 unviable ones?
Once again, I get that a game with 6 viable characters is better than 5, but if almost all of the cast is not viable, it clearly isn't MORE balanced. It is LESS balanced from a developer's standpoint, but has MORE variety from a competitive standpoint. Which is fine. But that's not balance, that's variety.

Sure, it is better to have more viable characters, and that will tend to lead to a better competitive game. That game may be more balanced among the upper tier, but overall it is considerably worse.

Way to completely misinterpret my argument. The difference between melee's learning curve and Brawl's learning curve is the jumpiness. Brawl is fairly linear; melee has a gigantic barrier near the beginning. Brawl is hard, but the difficulty doesn't have many large springs. You gradually get better and better. In melee, it's similar to that... once you reach a certain level. It's like comparing two graphs: f(x)=x (brawl) and f(x)=x+100 (melee). The skill level required still reaches towards infinity, but there's just this ridiculous jump near the beginning of melee. Is this bad for the competitive nature of the game? No, but it's lousy design because people who aren't already really into the game are going to be driven away by how ridiculously difficult it is! Even outside of competitive play, how easy it is to just flat-out kill yourself can't have avoided you. The game is ridiculously fast, and incredibly unforgiving, which inherently leads to a high curve starting out. Also, "nearly identical"? Smash's command scheme is very bizarre-I've struggled in explaining it to most of my friends ("no, upB is your third jump"). Add a ridiculously high speed and a very fast falling speed, plus really tiny ledgegrab ranges, and you have a murderous game on your hands. People don't like that. If you're into that, you're a minority figure. And simply put, "easy to learn, hard to master" sums up only 2 of the smash games-the other is "hard to learn, hard to master". Guess which is which.
Your friends are idiots then, because when I was, what, 12 years old when the original Smash 64 came out. It took me like maybe a day to understand the control scheme. It's ****ing easy, and if you disagree you're stupid.

I remember when I watched my first high level gameplay. I was MEZMERIZED. It was INSANE the **** I was seeing, and I wanted to be able to do that awesome ****. I watch Brawl matches, and there is no spark that really puts me in AWE.

Learning is fun, and pulling off things that are difficult is fun. I'm terrible at 3rd Strike, but every now and then I'd do things right (kara-karakusa, combo into super, stun my opponent, parry, etc.) and those SMALL moments were monumentally fun. It was fun to slowly see improvement in Melee, and it was the same for 3rd Strike.

Now I can't say that getting things much easier isn't as fun or more fun, but I have a very good counterpoint to what you consider a negative. I consider it a HEAVY positive.

Who were you gonna hate on, street fighter? Guilty Gear (hey, at least they're on the same console)?

It doesn't matter. That negativity came from the melee community being threatened by a new, different game that they didn't like. In short, it doesn't matter what caused you guys to become arrogant *******s, what matters is that you did.
If I recall correctly, it took a decent amount of time before Melee players came out of the woodwork to trash Brawl. It was after they played it enough to know that what they had was clearly not a superior product, and clearly not to their liking.

I am an extreme example of that, playing it for 2 years before I gave up on it.

I may be arrogant, but at least I have some substance with which to back myself up. It may be annoying how arrogant I am, but I find it equally annoying how ignorant others are.

Really? REALLY? That's a wonderful baseless claim you just made there. I have nothing against the melee community, or rather, I had nothing against them until they started shouting bull**** at brawl. In every single case that I have documented, the brawl community has been accepting and forgiving, and the melee community has continued to spout **** about us for playing a "worse" game.
I've been in person with both Melee and Brawl players, and let me tell you, in terms of the amount of *******s, it is NEAR IDENTICAL. This applies to ONLINE AS WELL.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Answers.com. Wow, you trumped my argument.

A opinion is just "I think X," which is why unsupported opinion does not exist. Again, I can like Vanilla Ice cream all I want. I don't have to have a reason nor do I need to have tried other ice cream because it's an opinion. I don't have to have a reasons. Opinions, BY DEFINITION, have no reasonable backing and is subjective. This is the definition I posted from a dictionary.

And no, the argument was "Which is better." Which is "the best," is also an opinion and does not require any facts because it is an opinion. I shouldn't have to sit here and try to explain something any grown person should know..
So I guess what you are saying is that no one is right nor wrong, but every response is just that persons opinion? If you would have been on the debate team in high school, every match would've ended in a draw.

Also, you're opinion is wrong because you are stupid.

You don't use opinions because anyone who has a passing grasp with English know there is no rhyme or reason to an opinion. Again, I can like any flavor of ice cream I like, and I don't think anyone would take an argument about ice cream seriously.
This man loves his ice cream.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
I remember when I watched my first high level gameplay. I was MEZMERIZED. It was INSANE the **** I was seeing, and I wanted to be able to do that awesome ****. I watch Brawl matches, and there is no spark that really puts me in AWE.
This right here. First time I saw a high-level Melee match, my jaw dropped to the floor. I had no idea it was even possible to make the characters move that fast.

When Brawl first came out, it was cool because there wasn't really much that I couldn't do, technically. I felt like I stood a better chance competing at that game. But digging deeper, I realized there was nothing there. What you see on the surface is basically what you get. For months, people said "the game is new, let it develop, discoveries will be made". Everyone wanted to find the new wavedash, and it just never happened. I couldn't make my character move any faster. That's when I realized Brawl was designed to squash serious competition. And that's when I gave up on it.

/tangent

DippnDots

Feral Youth
the morale of this post is, people in berlin suck at getting around ledge camping. I was expecting you to post a video of m2k or kdj or something, that would have been more difficult.

Anyways, posting links and not saying anything doesn't present a case for discussion, and if you want to lose that debate i'd be glad to pick apart whatever points you think you have by trying to make a comparison.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ha.........ha...ah

Yes, Nintendo is only doing well because of the less then 100,000 people on Smashboards (if that). Not because they looked past the norm and sold to people outside the normal market.
They wouldn't still be around if people like me weren't around to buy NES/SNES/N64/GCN and the games on those systems, is what his point was. You seem to have trouble interpreting what people are saying.

someone said:
Brawl sold more than Melee which sold more than 64.
Incorrect.
Melee sold less than 64. Why would Brawl go up if it copied Melee.
So outright lying is now acceptable in a debate, as well as paying more attention to one specific country where the game was sold than the rest?
You may say "But the Wii sold more, so Brawl sold more." That correlation has never worked because games sell systems, not the other way around. People buy Wii for Smash.
Melee sales: 7.09 million (best selling game on the console)
GCN console sales: 21.74 million
Percentage of Gamecube owners who also owned Melee: 32.62%

Brawl sales: 9.48 million
Mario Kart Wii sales: 26.5 million
Wii console sales: 84.64 million
Percentage of Wii owners who also own Brawl: 11.2%
Percentage of Wii owners who also own Mario Kart Wii: 31.31%

The fact of the matter is that a person is... almost guaranteed not to buy a Wii game without being able to play it somehow. More people buying a Wii = more people able to buy Wii games = more people buying Brawl.
Your arguments are inconsistent with what the market showed.

So, it's more likely to think that Brawl was better designed to get more people to play it, such as being more accessible.
As I have just shown, no they weren't.

This statement lacks support. Games that are ****ing hard have sold extremely well in the past; accessibility doesn't matter when you can always find people who suck as badly as you do at the game regardless of your skill level.

Dont you love that ad hominem
Referencing a previous post in which you argued badly isn't ad hominem, in case you didn't know. Ad hominem would be like "Yeah you know what I'm going to ignore your points and say this: you're bad at this game so your opinion doesn't matter"
For the record, I literally cannot even FHBair with jiggs. Seriously.
Laughed so hard.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Answers.com. Wow, you trumped my argument.
...you went to dictionary.com.

A opinion is just "I think X,"
Ignoring the "a opinion," I'm following you, mmhmm, keep going.
which is why unsupported opinion does not exist.
oh my god what the ****, how was that even a logical progression of thought? I can put a board over a pothole and call it a bridge, but it'll break when a car drives over it because it lacks support and structure. Much like how yours does, because whenever someone refutes your points, you go into a rage saying "it's an opinion! It can't be wrong! turn it off!" rather than counteract their refutation like a normal person would in a discussion thread like this.
Again, I can like Vanilla Ice cream all I want. I don't have to have a reason nor do I need to have tried other ice cream because it's an opinion. I don't have to have a reasons. Opinions, BY DEFINITION, have no reasonable backing and is subjective. This is the definition I posted from a dictionary.
You don't have to have a reason to have an opinion. You /do/ have to have a reason for your opinion if you're going to go posting it publicly or risk getting laughed out of a thread.

Stev

Smash Ace
INCOMING DATA
Continuing my earlier post: I don't think anything earlier to Pound 4 is relevant due to the change in metagame

Pound 4
1: Mango (puff / falco)
2: Hbox (puff)
3: Amsah (sheik)
4: Armada (peach)
5: M2k (fox/marth/sheik)
5: Jman (fox)
7: Lucky (fox)
7: Zhu (falco)
9: Dr. PP (falco)
9: Plank (sheik)
9: Silent Spectre (falcon)
9: Tope (sheik)
13: DEHF (falco)
13: Hax (falcon)
13: DarkRain (falcon)
13: Linguini (ganon)
17: over triforce (sheik)
17: Silent Wolf (fox)
17: Pc Chris (fox)
17: Kage The Warrior (ganon)
17: Ka-Master (luigi)
17: Zgetto (fox)
17: Remen (fox)
17: Axe (Pikachu)

fox: 7
falco: 3
falcon: 3
pika: 1
gannon: 1
luigi: 1
sheik: 4
peach: 1
puff:2
marth: 1
total chars: 10 = 40% of cast

APEX:
1: hungrybox (puff)
2: Armada (peach)
3: mew2king (Sheik/fox/marth)
4: Dr. Peepee (falco)
5: Axe (pika/falco)
6: Wobbles (ICs)
7: Jman (fox)
7: Zhu (falco)
9: Dashizwiz (falco)
9: Eggm (fox)
9: Vanz (fox/peach/puff/ICs)
9: Hax (falcon)
13: Cyrain (fox)
13: I. B (marth)
13: Darc (puff)
13: ChuDat (ICs)
17: Eggz (fox)
17: Raynex (fox)
17: Chopz (falco)
17: Kage the Warrior (gannon)
17: Taj (M2)
17: Chillindude829 (fox)
17: Lucky (fox)
17: Silent Wolf (fox)

fox: 10
falco: 5
falcon: 1
gannon: 1
sheik: 1
peach: 2
puff:3
marth: 2
ICs: 3
M2: 1
total chars: 11 = 44% of cast

ROM 3:
1: Dr. PeePee (falco)
2: m2k (sheik/marth/fox)
3: kirbykaze (sheik)
4: jesus (fox)
5: hbox (puff)
5: lucky (fox)
7: darc (puff)
7: kayle (?)
9: mango (marth/falcon)
9: macD (peach)
9: eggm (fox)
9: hugs (samus)
13: chops (falco)
13: rockcrock (gannon)
13: hax (falcon)
13: G$ (marth/falco?)
17: kage (gannon)
17: chillin (fox)
17: waffles (doc)
17: sion (falco)
17: swift (fox)
17: unknown (fox)
17: Darrell (samus)
17: ben (?)

fox: 7
falco: 4
falcon: 2
doc: 1
gannon: 2
samus: 2
sheik: 2
peach: 1
puff: 2
marth: 3
total chars: 10 = 40% of cast
note: I don't know who ben and kayle play and they are not included in the totals

DGDTJ:
1: jman (fox)
2: lucky (fox)
3: zhu (falco)
4: hbox (puff)
5: scorp (marth/falcon)
5: fly amanita (ICs)
7: falcomist (marth/falco?)
7: s2j (falcon)
9: SS (falcon)
9: macd (peach)
9: HugS (samus)
9: taj (M2)
13: dajuan (doc)
13: swiftbass (fox)
13: sfat (fox)
13: light (peach)
17: lovage (fox)
17: HMW (doc)
17: axe (pika/falco)
17: hyuga (puff)
17: westballz (falco)
17: TAI (marth)
17: choknater (ICs)
17: bob$ (marth)

fox: 5
falco: 4
falcon: 3
ICs: 2
doc: 2
M2: 1
puff:2
marth: 4
samus: 1

WGF:
1: Dr. PP (falco)
2: Mango (falcon/falco)
3: Fly Amanita (ICs)
4: Zhu (falco)
5: HugS (samus)
5: M2K (marth/sheik/peach/fox)
7: Shroomed (doc)
7: DEHF (falco)
9: EddyMexico (luigi)
9: Replicate (fox)
9: Lucky (fox)
9: Lovage (fox)
13: S2J (falcon)
13: Stabbedbyahero (falco)
13: Scar (falcon)
13: MacD (peach)
17: Maple (marth/sheik)
17: Dunkskies (falcon)
17: Westballz (falco)
17: Gishnak (fox)
17: PBS (sheik)
17: JTB (puff)
17: Alex19 (fox)
17: sidefx (ICs)

fox: 5
falco: 6
falcon: 4
luigi: 1
ICs: 2
doc: 1
sheik: 3
puff: 1
marth: 2
samus: 1

TL;DR: 40-44% of melee's cast places top 24. Fox has had a dominating placings. Also something to keep in mind is that no fox player has won a national. Funny how he is the most popular for top 24 but even struggles to win regionals

Savon

Smash Ace
The lack of true combos does not hurt brawl. MK hurts brawl, and a handful of smaller things. The lack of combos however, is not one of them.

With that being said the post RR made pretty such sums up why I do not play melee. It is a good game, but I prefer brawl.

The entire idea of technical skill is grossly overrated.

Lets make a smash game where you have to L cancel EVERY ATTACK and you have to do a long technical input just to move forward. You create a game that requires VAST amounts of tech skill, but is it really a good thing?

prettynice

Smash Apprentice
Lack of true combos does hurt brawl. Well, maybe some of the people in it. To be honest, what I think is that without true combos link as well as toon link and ganondorf are hopeless. Jiggs can use some true combos too.

Stev

Smash Ace
Lets make a smash game where you have to L cancel EVERY ATTACK and you have to do a long technical input just to move forward. You create a game that requires VAST amounts of tech skill, but is it really a good thing?
I most people here have been exagerating the importance of tech skill. You don't necessarily need VAST amounts of tech skill. Everyone stereotypes that foxes play like Silent Wolf. Really, once you get shffling and wavedashing down, it becomes mostly second nature and those are the more critical tech skill areas. Like seriously, I can close my eyes and waveshine. How often do you actually NEED to multi-waveshine? It's all repetition and muscle memory. What you're saying is kind of like saying I don't wanna practice scales on guitar, I only wanna practice chords to be good.

You know who's a really good fox but never used obscene amounts of tech skill? PC Chris

You know who else is really good at melee but doesn't have use tech skill? Hungrybox

You don't HAVE to play fox, or falco.

Now, the point about l-canceling not adding depth is fair to a certain extent, but l-cancel mistakes are uncommon at high level play. When they do happen, people can capitalize on it which makes more variation to the game. It DOES create new scenarios for people to react to and capitalize on.

As Sliq mentioned earlier, if you make L-canceled aerials default lag, then fox becomes WAY too broken and falco gets a significant boost as well. Besides, hitting R or L is with a finger that's inactive at the time anyways. It's not like you're adding an input with your thumb. I don't really see people who complain about l-canceling as having many valid points, but that's my opinion

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So I guess what you are saying is that no one is right nor wrong, but every response is just that persons opinion? If you would have been on the debate team in high school, every match would've ended in a draw.

Also, you're opinion is wrong because you are stupid.
First, I should not be having this discussion with you because you should know what an opinion is.

An opinion requires no support. There are "arguments," which are totally different, where we defend a side, but that is outside what we were talking about. This was about people liking one or the other, which is an opinion.

And in lieu of all that, I get to this guy.

Referencing a previous post in which you argued badly isn't ad hominem, in case you didn't know. Ad hominem would be like "Yeah you know what I'm going to ignore your points and say this: you're bad at this game so your opinion doesn't matter"
Your post was:

This coming from the kid who constantly said "It's my opinion! It can't be wrong!" whenever his arguments were refuted.

Has nothing to do with what i said but who I am. Ad hominem, get it right.

Sadly, you misunderstood an argument that spanned many post and with someone who could spell his name. In your entire post you missed the entire point by chopping it up into tiny little pieces, each which lose their meaning on their own. It's clear you don't know what's going on, so this is the only response I will give you. Replies are a waste of time.

Stev

Smash Ace
Going back to character balance, Brawl seemed to have about 13 different characters in the top 24 of the tournaments listed earlier in the thread. That puts about 37% of it's cast viable for those placings (not too much less then melee). However, it is important to note MK's dominance of appearance is much greater than fox's and there are many more players with multiple mains (many of which contain MK). Interpret that how you wish.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
This right here. First time I saw a high-level Melee match, my jaw dropped to the floor. I had no idea it was even possible to make the characters move that fast.

When Brawl first came out, it was cool because there wasn't really much that I couldn't do, technically. I felt like I stood a better chance competing at that game. But digging deeper, I realized there was nothing there. What you see on the surface is basically what you get. For months, people said "the game is new, let it develop, discoveries will be made". Everyone wanted to find the new wavedash, and it just never happened. I couldn't make my character move any faster. That's when I realized Brawl was designed to squash serious competition. And that's when I gave up on it.

/tangent
So you gave up because it wasn't exactly like Melee.

the morale of this post is, people in berlin suck at getting around ledge camping. I was expecting you to post a video of m2k or kdj or something, that would have been more difficult.

Anyways, posting links and not saying anything doesn't present a case for discussion, and if you want to lose that debate i'd be glad to pick apart whatever points you think you have by trying to make a comparison.
This has no value for argument and comes off as trying to impose he has a point, feel free to post a rebuttal, because there isn't one here.

Going back to character balance, Brawl seemed to have about 13 different characters in the top 24 of the tournaments listed earlier in the thread. That puts about 37% of it's cast viable for those placings (not too much less then melee). However, it is important to note MK's dominance of appearance is much greater than fox's and there are many more players with multiple mains (many of which contain MK). Interpret that how you wish.
And what would the 13 be?

I haven't compiled that so please show what your results were for that.

I most people here have been exagerating the importance of tech skill. You don't necessarily need VAST amounts of tech skill. Everyone stereotypes that foxes play like Silent Wolf. Really, once you get shffling and wavedashing down, it becomes mostly second nature and those are the more critical tech skill areas. Like seriously, I can close my eyes and waveshine. How often do you actually NEED to multi-waveshine? It's all repetition and muscle memory. What you're saying is kind of like saying I don't wanna practice scales on guitar, I only wanna practice chords to be good.

You know who's a really good fox but never used obscene amounts of tech skill? PC Chris

You know who else is really good at melee but doesn't have use tech skill? Hungrybox

You don't HAVE to play fox, or falco.

Now, the point about l-canceling not adding depth is fair to a certain extent, but l-cancel mistakes are uncommon at high level play. When they do happen, people can capitalize on it which makes more variation to the game. It DOES create new scenarios for people to react to and capitalize on.

As Sliq mentioned earlier, if you make L-canceled aerials default lag, then fox becomes WAY too broken and falco gets a significant boost as well. Besides, hitting R or L is with a finger that's inactive at the time anyways. It's not like you're adding an input with your thumb. I don't really see people who complain about l-canceling as having many valid points, but that's my opinion
Having difficult techs for the only purpose is to see if people mess up is not depth.

Stev

Smash Ace
And what would the 13 be?

I haven't compiled that so please show what your results were for that.
Someone posted the results of several major tournaments already (around page 44 or 45). I just did a quick glance at it with some quick math in my head. The main point that I extracted from it is that Brawl is balanced if you remove MK. It seems that so many people have him as a secondary just to take care of bad matchups (I'm guessing usually vs another MK, but I can't say I'm the most educated on this subject and I'm actually trying to look at the data unbiasedly). They were somewhere along the lines of: MK, Diddy, Snake, Olimar, DK, Wario, D3, Falco, Lucario, Marth... that's all I can remember off the top of my head. There were a couple that varied from tourny to tourny

Having difficult techs for the only purpose is to see if people mess up is not depth.
Here's how I look at it. Given how melee is, I'm going to compare it to two alternative options that could apply without changing anything else in melee:

1) L-canceling simply doesn't exist. All landing lag is how it is default in the game. Doing so limits a lot of combos and slows down the speed of the game. A lot of these combos are DI based (IE Faclon's u-air combos and Marth's Fair combos) and thus can be gotten out of reguardless of l-canceling. The fact that l-canceling exists means that now two options are available based on what the opponent does (DI in or away) rather than not happening at all. Yes, some combos are auto (ie you can nair multishine (but how often is that practical). Adding l-canceling here enables better shield pressure as you can string more attacks on the shield than without.

2) L-canceling is automatic: In this case, I think making it manual balances things as then you don't have fox and falco dominating things. I think the fact that it

For me personally, I have no problem having it act as a balancing tool. Once you've played the game for a while, l-canceling is second nature. I mean, seriously, how many melee pros (and I mean people who played melee for a decent period of time) that converted to brawl hate L-canceling?

Now, you have a point that it doesn't really add depth. I'm not saying it adds much (not anywhere near the extent that wavedashing does). i will mention that you can attempt to mess up someone's l-canceling by light shielding or shield tilting, but I am by no means claiming that l-canceling is the most vital part of melee.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not sure how you jump to the conclusion that Brawl brought back these supposed masses of people that played SSB64 but not Melee.
With Melee, people left the series (as fewer people bought the game), but with Brawl, sales went up and beat 64's sales. This would have us beleive that people, who had left the series, came back and new people came too.

Sorry, this is flat out wrong. Blizzard has committed a ton of time and resources to balancing SC2 at a high level of play. By the time the beta came out, the game was basically done, and the months of beta were spent on heavy balance testing (and testing Bnet 2.0).

The mere presence of the campaign and custom games doesn't rule out that SC2 is intended to be competitive. They need to include something for the people who don't want to ladder. And they can get away with making a game geared towards the hardcore crowd, because they make bucketloads of money from televised Korean tournaments. Also, they have infinite money from WoW.
First, Starcraft is an easy RTS. When it first came out, people laughed at it because of it's simplicity (some RTSes had upwards of 9 resources. This one had 2. The hard games never really become these "competitive, " games. The easy ones do. This is because more people get into them, they get better, and then they compete.

Starcraft 2 is not designed to be competitive. You mentioned they did beta testing, but note that this is common in PC games. Even then, Blizzard still didn't the balance right (siege tanks). Testing Bnet 2.0 was also important as everyone will be using this feature. Balancing is also not necessarily competitive as everyone tries to release a balanced multiplayer game. Sakurai tried to balance Brawl, for instance.

Also, if Blizzard was making a competitive game, they would have made units that fulfilled roles. Blizzard, with their units, made ones that were cool. This is why you have some like the Mothership that wouldn't be seen in the highest levels of play. Blizzard made units that were fun to use. Reapers gave Zerg some trouble, but they are fun to use. If a competitively minded person know that, they would have taken Reapers out. Their design philosophy was "make a good game." The only competitive things they have really done is balance the game and sponsored the GSL. Of course, it had to be a national wide sport to do this.

Now to talk about accessibility. I'm going to theorize that Brawl did not sell on accessibility. Did your average non-gamer buy Brawl? No. People who were already fans of Nintendo bought Brawl. The games that DID sell on accessibility are games like Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort, and Wii Play. You know, the games that sold 22-27 million to Brawl's 9.5 million. There's your expanded audience right there. There's the brilliance of Nintendo's marketing strategy with the Wii. These are the games that other companies are constantly trying to emulate, in order to capitalize on this new, previously untapped market. Not Brawl.

Compared to those titles, Brawl is a bastion of "core gamer" mentality. From a distance, Brawl and Melee are basically the same. They were both praised for the exact same things and were played and loved by the same young male demographic as most games.
You are looking at demographics, not customers. Nintendo's goal is to please customers, not demographics.

Brawl has sold more than 10 million copies, which is way above what most games sell normally (in this day and age, anything beyond 5 million is a huge success). Saying "It didn't sell on accessibility is wrong because it didn't sell 22 million," is ludicrous. Those numbers are far and beyond what most games can do. We first have to realize that Brawl's sales are phenomenal, even if it sold below other Nintendo titles.

We can notice two big things Brawl did. First, it sold 10 million+ copies. And second, it brought back people who had left with Melee (in Japan). So it must have been doing something right. More over, it must have done something Melee didn't do. As people have pointed out, there is a high skill gap in Melee due to all the tech skill involved. Brawl removed that and made other things easier (grabbing the ledge). Look at it this way: Melee sold a lot because of the explosion of content. Brawl didn't have the same explosion, so why did it sell much better. Accessibility. Japan helps prove this because sales went down and then back up with Brawl, telling us something was pushing people away.

You may still think accessibility doesn't help, but think about it from a weaker player's perspective. Does a weaker play want to invest all that time just to not get stomped. Probably not. Does a weak player want to practice over and over how to do things like wavedash. Probably not. Would a weaker player, having trouble with the feel of the game, keep playing. Probably not. In a game as fast as Melee, it's easy to quickly get overwhelmed and frustrated with the game. He doesn't want to invest hours just trying to get a hold of it. He wants to kick add now. Removing the frustration is how you make a game accessible.

Someone mentioned Super Mario Bros. The game is hard, but accessible. Why? People confuse accessibility with easy. Accessibility is just how well you can get a feel for the controls. How open the game is. It's not hard to move and jump in Super Mario Brothers.

Red Ryu made a great post about how he couldn't get people into Melee but could for Brawl. I'll try to find it, but I can't seem to right now.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
uhhh...you know I do admit that sales did go up with Brawl, but the assumption of why that your stating has a lot of theory-craft.

Although what your saying with demographic makes sense, still I think assuming a lot more than what actually happened.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Some of the people here give Melee players a reeeaally bad name.

For you guys who play Brawl, don't let anybody talk you out of the game you enjoy. If you do like Melee, that's really cool; for the most part, the people in your state's scene will hopefully welcome you openly and not give a **** if you play Brawl or bring it up. If not, seriously, it's 2011: this issue shouldn't still be dividing the Smash community. The only reason anybody should drop Brawl is if they decide so of their own reasoning -- NEVER because somebody said 'well lol it's a **** game, [this game] is deeper and better.'

Personally, I do believe the lack of combos hurts Brawl. My reasoning has probably already been stated in this thread. Being unable to get a strong advantage over your opponent can make for an unrewarding experience at time, especially for somebody who has invested much more time into the game than their opponent. That doesn't make the game not worth playing, though.

If anybody here wants to get into Melee, try to find somebody in your area that's decent at the game and is open-minded. Nobody wants to hear 'your game sucks' or 'this is much better' when they're trying out new things. A good Melee player will only help you adjust, get into the scene and adapt to the game's physics. Hell, he might even play Brawl with you, or at least talk about it without being a condescending *******. Melee players, if you can't have a discussion with a Brawl player about Brawl without it somehow turning into an analysis of the game or a comparison to Melee, you've got some problems you need to fix. Seriously.

/rant

'V'

Smash Lord
My answer: Yes, it does hurt Brawl.

Very few true combos means that there's hardly any point to rushing down, considering there are many ways to get out of strings. This also means that offensive play is weak, thus meaning that the game does not have a balance in fighting styles. This leads to the game mostly depending on what character you use. Brawl's character selection is poor in terms of performance.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
SmashChu, you've been called on this before, but your reason for the increase/decrease in sales is strictly theory; a reasonably probable theory, but a theory nonetheless. You're also under the assumption that the people who didn't buy Melee but bought 64 bought Brawl. You can very well have it where there were simply newcomers to the series that were the sole factor for the sales increase.

The thing you have to realize is that accessibility should not sacrifice depth.
I approve of this post.

Also, there are ways to make things more accessible AND increase depth. One of my favorite ideas is the mechanic to just turn around in mid-air. Grab the edge from behind and increase the mix-up game.
See here? This makes the game more accessible while still allowing the depth the previous depth to exist and even increasing the depth in some areas. Auto ledge grab would do the same thing, but at the expense of depth.

You are right that a player shouldn't have to spend so much time doing the basics, but what you mentioned like wave dashing are intermediate techniques at least. By that point, the player should have enough of a grasp on the game to tackle that obstacle. Likewise, I'm learning some tricky stuff in MvC3, but I got a head start because I'm familiar with most of the inputs.

That being said, the person who spends their time the most and effectively will consistently beat someone who doesn't invest a lot of time in the game. That's just the facts of life.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
SmashChu, have you ever played Starcraft or Starcraft 2? Play against someone who's even remotely good and tell me it's easy.

And, Siege Tanks were overpowered at one point, and have since been significantly nerfed. Blizzard cares about balance. It makes business sense to care about balance when there are people out there who make a living playing this game.

If you have ever read anything that Blizzard says about SC2, like ever, you would know they design units to fill roles. They took out the Lurker just before beta specifically because they felt its role had been filled by other units. With the possible exception of the Reaper and Hellion, no two units in any race fill the same niche.

And, there's more than two resources. Larva is a resource. Food is a resource. Energy is a resource. Don't try to talk about things you have no knowledge of.

Brawl did have an explosion of content over Melee; how much of it is any good is debatable (SSE, lol). There's still nothing to prove that it wasn't more characters that sold Brawl, just like more characters sold Melee.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Blizzard not balancing starcraft is laughable.

The Carrier damage nerf, the Voidray range nerf (and then speed nerf), the Roach purchasable range upgrade, ect, don't sound like things casual players would care about.

Heck, in the most recent patch Phoenix's build times were shortened by like 5 seconds. Something a casual would not even recognize in a million years.

Siege tanks are not particularly imbalanced. Yeah, a siege tank line is almost impossible to break, but that's why you DON'T TRY TO BREAK IT! Siege tanks are extremely immobile units, and immobility can be abused. Attack reinforcements to their core army, attack their expansions, or just expand more and beat them on macro. Keep good vision by scouting often and attack the tanks when they're unsieged. I've only seen the siege tanking players win when they successfully set up in a good position, and the other player responds by trying to break one of the best defenses in the game.

And wtf you DO occasionally see motherships in high level play. It's an INFLEXIBLE build, not a useless one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4HYg8Ugz9U.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWFCLaPwTTQ (I guess Kiwikaki and EGS Machine aren't high level enough for you <_<)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TES2wZKilOk (lol this one's just funny)

And reapers don't really give Zerg trouble AT ALL. All you have to do is make some roaches and spread your overloards a little for spotting. Heck, reapers are rarely built IN GENERAL after the patch that required you to build a techlab before you can make reapers..

Don't use starcraft 2 in your examples because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Why is this thread still going? Both sides have already made their points quite a few times and this thread is slowly becoming a broken record.....

and we're listening to the guy who says starcraft is "easy" and "uncompetitive."

lol even I don't troll that hard

step it up guys, ignore the ******.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As I may have said before, this guy is serious; he's not trolling. Either that, or he's the world's greatest troll.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
Christ, thank you people. I felt like the only sane man, actually having to argue that Starcraft is competitive.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
With Melee, people left the series (as fewer people bought the game), but with Brawl, sales went up and beat 64's sales. This would have us beleive that people, who had left the series, came back and new people came too.

We can notice two big things Brawl did. First, it sold 10 million+ copies. And second, it brought back people who had left with Melee (in Japan). So it must have been doing something right. More over, it must have done something Melee didn't do.

Look at it this way: Melee sold a lot because of the explosion of content. Brawl didn't have the same explosion, so why did it sell much better. Accessibility. Japan helps prove this because sales went down and then back up with Brawl, telling us something was pushing people away.
There's so much conjecture here, ahhhh

Stev

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, but any argument about Brawl selling more is completely ignoring the facts that there were TONS more wiis sold than gamecubes, videogames in general have become more popular now than at GC's release, and the % of wii owners who bought brawl is smaller than the % of GC owners that bought melee.

You ALSO can't argue that sales in Japan mean anything towards sales in the US. They are two COMPLETELY different markets with COMPLETELY different tendencies. Go look at video game sales in Japan for other systems. You're not gonna find anywhere near as many hardcore gamers there as in the US (based off percentage because the population of the US would destroy any totals coming out of Japan). Once again, you can only compare based of percent, not total numbers. Don't be an idiot.

Stev

Smash Ace
...how does the sale market have anything to do with brawl's combos?
If you read through the last few pages, the main arguments are pretty much unrelated to combos. They were talking about the sales market saying that increased sales means the adjustments they made in brawl were good.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
The lack of true combos does not hurt brawl. MK hurts brawl, and a handful of smaller things. The lack of combos however, is not one of them.

With that being said the post RR made pretty such sums up why I do not play melee. It is a good game, but I prefer brawl.

The entire idea of technical skill is grossly overrated.

I crossed out everything that doesn't support your comment.

...how does the sale market have anything to do with brawl's combos?
That's what I said awhile back. I think they* talk about it because it makes them think they have an argument. Also, they use sales to define competitiveness because they can't think of any other reasons why Brawl is better.

I urge you to highlight the end of this paragraph:
SmashChu is quite silly. Perhaps a troll. Maybe even a trool. He's not very good at arguing. He's also not a good person. And the rage inside him is like a fire that looks like the Chinese character for fire. And he's silly. Wait for it...
IN MY OPINION!

*Note: 'They' refers to the majority of the sales talkers.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
uhhh...you know I do admit that sales did go up with Brawl, but the assumption of why that your stating has a lot of theory-craft.

Although what your saying with demographic makes sense, still I think assuming a lot more than what actually happened.
Then what happened?

Business is about knowing why something did well. Knowing where the customers are going and where they will be. This isn't including you, but I think a lot of people will use "it's just a theory," as a way to say "I don't have to believe your idea." At the same time, they will give reasons that will either not be sufficient to explain what happened or none at all. Of course, from your post, I don't think that's what you are doing.

SmashChu, have you ever played Starcraft or Starcraft 2? Play against someone who's even remotely good and tell me it's easy.
Why does this person have to be good?

The point is "How easy is it to get into." Again, your mixing up skill gaps with accessibility. Games like this, and even Smash Brothers, have a lot of good players. The games that have this tend to be easy. But people have mastered them.

If you have ever read anything that Blizzard says about SC2, like ever, you would know they design units to fill roles. They took out the Lurker just before beta specifically because they felt its role had been filled by other units. With the possible exception of the Reaper and Hellion, no two units in any race fill the same niche.
Collosis don't fill a role. Motherships don't either. And Battlecruisers have almost no role. Thor's only "role" is to stop Mutas and he can hardly do that. They also removed units like the Goliath which had a role.

And, there's more than two resources. Larva is a resource. Food is a resource. Energy is a resource. Don't try to talk about things you have no knowledge of.
Outside of supply depots, you never have to gather these. Energy is also worthless after the first few minutes and you have so much. People tend to blow MULES and Cronnos because they had so much of it.

Brawl did have an explosion of content over Melee; how much of it is any good is debatable (SSE, lol). There's still nothing to prove that it wasn't more characters that sold Brawl, just like more characters sold Melee.
You kind of proved my point. Most people did not like the Subspace Emissary. About 40% of Brawls sales were made after the first 10 weeks. It doesn't make sense because people would be buying the game for what is considered "bad." There must have been other forces at play.

I'm sorry, but any argument about Brawl selling more is completely ignoring the facts that there were TONS more wiis sold than gamecubes, videogames in general have become more popular now than at GC's release, and the % of wii owners who bought brawl is smaller than the % of GC owners that bought melee.
What you are forgetting is that people buy systems for games, not the other way around. This is why we still have flops on systems like the Wii and PS2 and megahits on a system like the Gamecube and XBox. There is little evidence to say they are actually linked, and, like I mentioned, the consumer doesn't buy that way.

You ALSO can't argue that sales in Japan mean anything towards sales in the US. They are two COMPLETELY different markets with COMPLETELY different tendencies. Go look at video game sales in Japan for other systems. You're not gonna find anywhere near as many hardcore gamers there as in the US (based off percentage because the population of the US would destroy any totals coming out of Japan). Once again, you can only compare based of percent, not total numbers. Don't be an idiot.
Lol at bold. Actual numbers are better than percents because they are not subjective. Percents are. You use them in certain situations, but not here. They will not give a clear picture.

Nintendo based their idea of expanding gaming from the looks of the Japanese market. The market was in decline there, but not here. Turns out, when the Wii sells at realistic levels, we are in decline. Nintendo was right and was able to grow the market with the DS and the Wii in it's early years. The idea that the markets are different and can not be compared is moronic. There are differences, but the markets are not totally unique from one another. Practices that works here can work there. Again, they are not complete opposites and we can compare them to the extend where obvious cultural norms and geography play a role (which wouldn't be here).

Sakurai likely saw that gamers in Japan were having trouble with the game and realized that another Melee would not excite the market. Seeing as Japanese sales went up, we can say this is likely the case.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Are we seriously arguing that the man who said he thinks competition is alienating and doesn't like to see anybody lose had to look at the market to find reasons to nerf Brawl?

Stev

Smash Ace
Lol at bold. Actual numbers are better than percents because they are not subjective. Percents are. You use them in certain situations, but not here. They will not give a clear picture.
This doesn't even make sense. Percentages put things in context. Raw totals don't even tell you the big picture. That's like saying WWII was more deadly because it killed more people than the Black Plague even though the Black Plague killed 1/3 of Europe's population.

Nintendo based their idea of expanding gaming from the looks of the Japanese market. The market was in decline there, but not here. Turns out, when the Wii sells at realistic levels, we are in decline. Nintendo was right and was able to grow the market with the DS and the Wii in it's early years. The idea that the markets are different and can not be compared is moronic. There are differences, but the markets are not totally unique from one another. Practices that works here can work there. Again, they are not complete opposites and we can compare them to the extend where obvious cultural norms and geography play a role (which wouldn't be here).

Sakurai likely saw that gamers in Japan were having trouble with the game and realized that another Melee would not excite the market. Seeing as Japanese sales went up, we can say this is likely the case.
You're right in the sense that you can compare the markets. You're wrong in saying that what works for the Japanese markets will necessarily work for American markets. Cultural norms DO in fact play a role here. Do you understand Japanese culture? Compare the amount of people there who dedicate a large amount of time to videogames to those who do it here. You will find a BIG difference, guaranteed. Just look up their pressures created from their family customs, not to mention their discipline and social standards. This DOES effect what types of games they buy. You think highly sexual movies will sell to deeply religious muslim cultures?

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
Why does this person have to be good?

The point is "How easy is it to get into." Again, your mixing up skill gaps with accessibility. Games like this, and even Smash Brothers, have a lot of good players. The games that have this tend to be easy. But people have mastered them.
Before, you just said that Starcraft is "easy", and "uncompetitive", not "easy to get into". Now you're implying it's of the "easy to learn, hard to master" variety. Which in your eyes, should make for a good competitive game.

But then, the phrase "easy to get into" has multiple interpretations, too. Do you mean it's easy to get a handle on the controls, and that the rules are simple enough that you can play at a somewhat competent level right from the beginning? Or do you mean it's easy to get into the competitive scene for the game?

For games like Melee and Starcraft, it isn't easy to get good enough to play at a high level. But if you want to compete, you shouldn't expect it to be easy anyway. Skill gaps are good for competitive games. Brawl lessens this skill gap, presumably in an attempt to gain more accessibility. Or, maybe it's just because Sakurai thinks it's wrong for the more skilled player to always win.

Collosis don't fill a role. Motherships don't either. And Battlecruisers have almost no role. Thor's only "role" is to stop Mutas and he can hardly do that. They also removed units like the Goliath which had a role.
The Colossus is actually a highly specialized unit, with glaring strengths and weaknesses. It burns everything on the ground from long range, but can't function without a protective envelope of support units, and it's helpless against air targets. It's a lot like the Siege Tank, except it's even more vulnerable to air because anti-air attacks can hit it. So yes, its role is the main damage dealer of the Protoss army. Zealots take the role of meat shields to protect them, and Stalkers serve as anti-air.

Motherships, and to a lesser extent Battlecruisers and Carriers, are like a Warlock Punch. Awesome if you can pull it off, but generally useless, or highly situational in high level play. Their presence doesn't discredit Starcraft as a competitive game.

Thors are awesome. Goliath's role (ranged anti-air, limited anti-ground capabilities) has been filled by the Viking.

Outside of supply depots, you never have to gather these. Energy is also worthless after the first few minutes and you have so much. People tend to blow MULES and Cronnos because they had so much of it.
Just because you don't gather it doesn't mean it's not a resource. If you have energy built up on your macro mechanics, you're doing it wrong.

You kind of proved my point. Most people did not like the Subspace Emissary. About 40% of Brawls sales were made after the first 10 weeks. It doesn't make sense because people would be buying the game for what is considered "bad." There must have been other forces at play.
Or it could be because every reviewer showered it in praise.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Stop talking about sales please. It's bad enough that we're off topic by talking about Melee and Brawl relating to ice cream and opinions. Sales doesn't determine a game's competitiveness. WiiFit sold 22.61 million copies as of May 20 (Wikipedia, quick...flame me and tell me my argument's flawed cause I used it for quick look up!). That doesn't make it an amazing competitive game. Just like Brawl's not an amazing competitive game. Just to reiterate SmashChu's main argument: Brawl is still terrible for competition, though it's kinda fun for casual play...in my opinion. Because it's in my opinion, I don't have to support it.

<3 Y'all. So fun.

Sliq

Smash Master
I think people are confusing accessibility with skill, effort, and talent. What I mean by that is this: it wouldn't take me too long to learn SSF4. I could build the muscle memory for quarter circles, half circles, and shoryuken motions after a few months (and let's be honest, if you aren't playing a multiplayer game you bought after a few months, you are either a casual gamer with too much money, or the game was bad).

So I would be technically sound to the point that I can do the basic motions. Then it would take me a few more to do more complex things, such as FA cancel combos and links with tight frame limitations.

However, once I learn the technical aspects, I will get DECIMATED in tournament because of the mind games and experience. AND THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE.

Melee is WAY simpler and more intuitive when it comes to executing advanced techniques. You can become technically sound in Melee after a few months of playing. The technical aspect isn't the problem; it's the baiting and experience.

It isn't accessibility. The problem is that really good people are really good and beast the **** out of you. Competing with them will take a great deal of time and effort. That isn't the GAMES fault.

Furthermore, competing with someone at a similar level is fun, so the steep learning and experience curve required to WIN isn't a huge deal. You can have fun playing against equally skilled enemies, and there is a much larger room for improvement.

I recently watch some SSF4 videos featuring Ed Marn and Justin Wong using Yang and Yun, and I almost **** everywhere. It was so awe inspiring that I got motivated to want to play SSF4. Which is a magical thing.

Not wanting to learn something because it seems difficult is a ***** move. If it really interests you, you'll spend the time.

I just imagine someone using a voice like droopy saying something like, "Oh, that sure does look hard. Well, I guess I'll just stick to stamp collecting and taking up skirt videos."

GOML of awesomeness wishy washy cry baby pansies.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Melee is WAY simpler and more intuitive when it comes to executing advanced techniques. You can become technically sound in Melee after a few months of playing. The technical aspect isn't the problem; it's the baiting and experience.
Personally...I feel like although I got wavedashing and L-canceling down (98% of the time) after about 3-4 months...I wasn't really good with any character other than Sheik (and I wasn't good with Sheik either) until about 9-11 months after I had been playing. Then one day, it just clicked and I could do a ton of technical stuff with Fox so randomly. Like, I could waveshine and short hop nair and short hop double laser and all the stuff that I wanted to do. I still couldn't link Uairs to Knees yet...until about 4 months later. And then I beat Tai in tournament...multiple times. And now I feel competent as a top 10 player in my state!

But...even so...I feel like the skill cap is a tiny bit higher than you make it out to be. I know I'm not particularly experienced with Melee (let alone Brawl)...because I've only been playing since Feb '09, but I still feel as though it's been a lot of playing to get to where I am.

Anyways...Brawl still bothers me with its lack of options and its stupid waiting so long to get off the edge after grabbing it backwards after air dodging with both Popo and Nana at the same time (just sorta pinned like 4 things at once).

Once again, to reiterate...the lack of combos just adds to these things. I hate the whole "single hit and run" style of play. It's boring in my personal opinion (which I will beat to death with SmashChu's logic of you can't argue against opinions because they're not wrong without evidence or whatever). Brawl players may enjoy only hitting once without getting any advantage or whatever. They may enjoy playing a game where its more rewarding for several characters to camp than to approach. But that's not for me.

Tl;dr? Then perhaps you shouldn't be on a forum (where you read/write text) in the first place.

Edit: I found a video of Brawl that isn't bad. I've watched probably about 40-50 Brawl videos...aside from Fly Amanita B-throw Chaingrabbing Ally, I hated all of them. However...this one's pretty good:
Good Brawl Montage Video <~Finally, a Brawl video that made me want to watch for more than 10 seconds

But...Melee has ones like it that are better (and don't look so ugly with the stupid Brawl graphics, which also Imo, look as though they were made for little kids), Imo:
Never Before Seen <~Metal Harbor <3
Mang0+Alex19+LuCKy=**** x2 <~Too good
I Killed Mufasa II <~Falcon's good in this game

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Brawl has combos, a lot more than people realize.

Single hit and run might be for characters like Snake or something but for characters like Lucario, Zero Suit Samus, Sonic, Marth, Olimar, Sheik, Diddy Kong, Falco.

It's not like Melee where there are a lot more combos all around even til Kill %, even if there are characters in Brawl that have legit combos at kill %.

Also Okami with the major bias.

Sales can mean that a game is more competitive because there are more players, you know a 16 man tournament is less competitive than a 256 player one. But for that you want to look at attendance. Sales imply what people liked about a game so they bought it. As I said with Smashchu, while you can't give a direct definitive reason it sold well you can make an educated guess as to why.

Top Bottom