• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

S0FT

Smash Ace
P.S. (and I realize that this is kind of corny) But if you see my Dr. Mario in future videos with the tag PBDB it probably doesn't stand for Pillsberry Doughboy.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
When trying to jam marth with pills is it best to do the grounded pills or the high bounc'n pills.
Same question for peach.
That depends on what Marth or Peach are doing. Are they in the air on are they on the ground?

If they are on the ground for whatever reason, then you could do either pill. Probably best to do a grounded pill unless you can drop the pill from the air right where Marth or Peach will be.

If they are in the air, then the grounded pill is probably going to go too low to hit Marth or Peach.

Sometimes it's easier to jam Marth will a pill from the air because *Marth CAN dash underneath grounded pills*.

D

Deleted member

a dash dancing marth suddenly becomes the shortest ****ing character in the game ****ing ghey *** homo *****

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Nah man that's pro **** right there.

Do you think I should switch to a Marth main or just stay Doc?
please stay doc, dont pull a bob$. you're come so far with doc, you're definitely a top ten pro with him. the only reason that i would switch to a marth main at your level is if you think you cant get any better with doc, even though i think that you have gotten better since genesis 2, seeing how you performed at apex. i would wait until after the next big national/international tourny to make that decision if i was you

D

Deleted member

if u don't think u can improve as doc maybe but to me smash skill ceiling is almost limitless

Shroomed

Smash Master
Guess I'll stay Doc.

My Marth lost to Lucien today and my Doc sucked really bad when I tried to bring it back with him.

I lost 3-2 with Marth in winner's finals, then 3-0 with Doc in Grand LOOOOL

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
stay doc, I approve of picking up a top tier for bad match ups/bad stages though. You are not near the cap at all when it comes to fundamentals to blame doc 100%. If you drop doc now, you go from being the best doc in the world to another pretty good marth. That's not a change you want to do. Your spacing and edgeguarding got better since I have been gone but you still have a lot of holes. We already talked about this when we talked about your set with hungrybox. You are horrible at stage control and posture. Work on those.

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
Placing yourself at ranges to pressure them with what you could do. Dajuan would dash dance outside my dash attack range, but he didnt threaten me with any aerials because he never was in range for them. As soon as I saw him run past the tip of his dash dance I would just wavedash back dtilt his aerial or pivot jump and bair whatever he did. Everytime he was in range to do something, I could count on him to do it. He would do polarized 50/50s that werent so like dmash/grab. Also I'm not officially "back," I didn't even expect to do well that tournament since i barely play. Norcal has just been super lazy since I've been gone haha. I'll go to tournaments that I can go to.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
alright, so a character like marth or fox has good posture. it seems like the only situation that doc would have good posture against sheik would be when he has sheik cornered

:phone:

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
ok, i see what youre saying now. how could he have positioned himself better though? the only thing i can think of is if he had more stage control and you didnt have that room to retreat

Shroomed

Smash Master
You're right Papa Loosh. I feel like when I go Marth to Doc my spacing gets off. Guess I'll just stay Doc exclusively again. Except in teams generally.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
My Sheik gets close to beating your Doc, Dajuan. You are definitely not peaking yet with him

Also, you guys should run a tourney in June. I can't make it to SB or the next Fudd's =(

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Lucien is basically discussing high-level zoning aspects when he says "posture". It's all part of spacing, but posture is essentially the determining factor of the equation when you are zoning your opponent. If you limit yourself in a certain posture on the stage to certain options, you can have X amount of blind-spots/openings/etc. as well as X amount of options that are available at your current position (your posture). Essentially, the ultimate posture would be to stand still on the other side of the stage that your opponent is not at, while facing them. It's because at this position, all of your options are available.

An example of a bad posture for instance would be you on the right platform of Battlefield, playing Marth, at 98%, meanwhile, Fox is on the left side of the stage on no platforms, facing you. You are limited to what you can do, while Fox is in a position where he can necessarily have unlimited options against you.

You should check out Lucien's guide to Zoning. I think he has a video on it too. It's very helpful and the information you will learn in that guide will change the way you play this game. It helped me out and taught me some stuff too that I never thought of at the time.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Whenever I read a Lucien post I just think

"Melt babies with laser eyes"

And then I have a craving for chocolate milk

edit:

Was Shroomed vs Lucien WFs recorded? I need literature on Marth vs Sheik 'cuz I don't know how to play that MU because I'm horrible at this game :(

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
smashmac that's just position in general. By posture I mean offensive vs defensive position I guess. Offensive posture is when you purposely get in range to do all your ****, and defensive is when you are in range to be barely out of range or able to stop all of his. I'm probably explaining it horribly.

Also KK you are weird.

Shroomed

Smash Master
GFs were for sure not recorded but I think WFs were. I actually don't think I'll give up Marth yet as I'm still learning.

Time to be in the Marth boards more.

I want to become the best Marth.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
smashmac that's just position in general. By posture I mean offensive vs defensive position I guess. Offensive posture is when you purposely get in range to do all your ****, and defensive is when you are in range to be barely out of range or able to stop all of his. I'm probably explaining it horribly.

Also KK you are weird.
Ah I see what you mean. I guess I misunderstood you and thought you meant posture as "position". Yeah I do that all the time. Purposefully getting in range of my opponent to mindgame them to think they can get me, only to open them up to X amount of disadvantages.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Sorry dude, OTG^^ is being kinda sarcastic. I think this was already discovered about 10 years ago now. But thanks for the reminder.
Lmfao. Yeah I have been working on a way where you can theoretically do 5 capes to Jiggs if you time everything right and have enough time for an fsmash or fair. It works by SH caping the Jiggs.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Lmfao. Yeah I have been working on a way where you can theoretically do 5 capes to Jiggs if you time everything right and have enough time for an fsmash or fair. It works by SH caping the Jiggs.
Wouldn't the jump startup ruin this strategy? I'd think you'd burn too many frames with it.

I'm genuinely curious. I'm not sure what the difference between SH cape and standing cape is.

Max?

Smash Champion
At 0%, capes -> fsmash will not KO a Jiggs on most stages unless she has terrible DI. Capes -> dthrow -> fair is probably your best bet, tho you have to make a great read in order to land the fair if she knows how to DI the dthrow well.

Top Bottom