• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
yo those hitbox images are gdlk, I have no idea how you even make those.

but yea that last one is a lil cluttered (though i can see / differentiate most of the hitboxes except for a few)

maybe split into two pictures one showing oos options for opponents attacking the back of your shield (bair / backwards upsmash / nair) and the other for those attacking the front (grab / nair / uair / upbc / upsmash)

also for all the aerials, this image is assuming you don't move in the air when you do the aerial right?

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Way ahead of you mac. i realised how pointless it was comparing bair with forward facing stuff. I didn't like the way it turned out either. So here you guys go

Hopefully that is much more clear. It also includes the entire hitbox size instead of the cutout like the previous.

Max?

Smash Champion
Some recent footage from a tourney I went to recently. Unfortunately it's only on stream as of right now, so you'll have to peep the timestamp.

http://www.twitch.tv/columbiasmash/b/648050853

1:06:30 - Winner's Semis vs. Dizzkidboogie (Icies)
1:38:00 - Winner's Finals vs. G$ (Falco)
2:38:20 - Grand Finals vs. Dizzkidboogie (Icies)

Enjoy!

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Some recent footage from a tourney I went to recently. Unfortunately it's only on stream as of right now, so you'll have to peep the timestamp.

http://www.twitch.tv/columbiasmash/b/648050853

1:06:30 - Winner's Semis vs. Dizzkidboogie (Icies)
1:38:00 - Winner's Finals vs. G$ (Falco)
2:38:20 - Grand Finals vs. Dizzkidboogie (Icies)

Enjoy!
What made you choose Luigi against Dizzkidboogie rather than Doc? I recently lost to him at a regional we had with Doc, but not by much. Also good stuff against G$, those d.throws were genius!

Zonak

Smash Cadet
Luigi's punish game and pressure is a lot better than Doc's. Luigi messes up ICs from one hit and pretty much kills Nana for free. Luigi's also faster on the ground and can follow up on hits easier. IMO, Doc has an easier time in neutral just because pills are a better projectile than Luigi's fireball, but spacing stuff like Luigi's dair and abusing his floatiness to jump over blizzard to allow him to get some good hits in on nana makes Doc's slightly better neutral a bit moot.

After watching OTG play dizz and from my own experience playing dizz and Frycook (top NJ ICs), I'm starting to go back and forth on either using Luigi or Doc. I'm still getting better consistent results with Doc, but there are times when playing Luigi just feels a lot easier. Plus I've been playing a lot of Luigi lately. I've been dodging doing the ditto when I play Yedi and I just go Luigi instead and my Luigi does way better than my Doc against him.

Luigi's pretty good as a pocket character for certain MUs. Good complement to Doc.

Max?

Smash Champion
Luigi has better range and mobility, he doesn't need grabs to get things started since all of his moves set up combos and link into one another. A big part of my strategy vs. Icies (especially Kyle) is to abuse platforms against him. Icies can't grab you unless you are standing on the same plane as them, and their aerials are very telegraphed. He approaches facing backwards? Bair. Approaches me facing forwards? Probably uair or he might try to be cute and bait my jump so he can land on the platform and wobble me when I land. Fortunately Luigi has the 2nd best DJ in the game besides Falco, so it's really easy to see what's going on and escape from danger if necessary.

Idk the matchup feels considerably easier as Luigi, and a lot of people (*cough* *cough* Zonak here) keep trying to pressure me into using Doc vs. Climbers but it just feels like a bad idea. Doc needs to get in close to fight, which leaves him insanely vulnerable to getting grabbed, especially since none of his stuff is safe on block except for MAYBE properly spaced fair. More or less everything Luigi has is safe and leads to death if it connects, plus Luigi vs. SoPo is like 90-10 where as Doc actually has to sort of fight him.

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's punish game and pressure is a lot better than Doc's. Luigi messes up ICs from one hit and pretty much kills Nana for free. Luigi's also faster on the ground and can follow up on hits easier. IMO, Doc has an easier time in neutral just because pills are a better projectile than Luigi's fireball, but spacing stuff like Luigi's dair and abusing his floatiness to jump over blizzard to allow him to get some good hits in on nana makes Doc's slightly better neutral a bit moot.

After watching OTG play dizz and from my own experience playing dizz and Frycook (top NJ ICs), I'm starting to go back and forth on either using Luigi or Doc. I'm still getting better consistent results with Doc, but there are times when playing Luigi just feels a lot easier. Plus I've been playing a lot of Luigi lately. I've been dodging doing the ditto when I play Yedi and I just go Luigi instead and my Luigi does way better than my Doc against him.

Luigi's pretty good as a pocket character for certain MUs. Good complement to Doc.

How long have you been playing Doc?

Saw you play in tournies and watched you a bit. You seem really good.

Zonak

Smash Cadet
How long have you been playing Doc?

Saw you play in tournies and watched you a bit. You seem really good.
Thanks! I wouldn't say I'm that good, but I'm on the up and up :p

I've been playin Doc since I started competitive melee which was a little over a year and half ago.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Found something interesting today

http://i.imgur.com/jFmBjlL.jpg

The Aerial cape was from a fullhop without fastfall, and is pretty much the lowest it can possibly go before you land instead and do a grounded. A shorthop with no fastfall can be done lower than grounded but the difference is really small, so to get something like the image you would need to fastfall at a specific point. Much easier to do the fullhop setup, as doing it a frame earlier will give you exactly the same height as grounded, and a frame late will of course do a grounded cape.

Here is what the optimal fullhop cape looks like
http://gfycat.com/AlarmingGiganticIndianpalmsquirrel

Edit: Forgot about non-rising capes, here is a non-rising cape compared to the original

http://i.imgur.com/jrp7Vox.jpg

could do like a cape to ledge, then ledgehop turnaround cape?

Turns out you can't fastfall sh for a better setup. But I thought about platform drops, as if you are already on a platform the setup time is very small. Made an album to show how good each stages platforms are for this
http://imgur.com/a/o10xn

Last edited:

DocDK

Smash Rookie
What's up guys. I have some simple questions:

Is Luigi considered a better character than Doc now?
I've heard a lot of talk recently that he's "superior" overall. Is this just in terms of his representation in tournaments? Because more Luigis place higher? Or because Luigi is just a better character?

Thanks a lot

DocDK

Smash Rookie
I think Luigi wins in the vs Doc matchup, and Luigi does better overall.

Falco gives me too much trouble now. Maybe I just suck at that matchup.
What about Luigi's mobility in the air? It's so bad. You cannot approach in the air with Luigi. And doesn't Doc have a better or at least equal with Luigi matchup spread against the top tiers?

Sorry for these noob questions I'm just now taking this game more seriously

VGmasta

Smash Lord
What about Luigi's mobility in the air? It's so bad. You cannot approach in the air with Luigi. And doesn't Doc have a better or at least equal with Luigi matchup spread against the top tiers?

Sorry for these noob questions I'm just now taking this game more seriously
Luigi's aerial mobility may be slower than Doc's, but his aerial attacks have great startup and power that allow him to defend himself in the air better than Doc can.

Luigi's match ups vs high tiers MIGHT be even with Doc. But I feel like Luigi's ability to score KOs out of the air gets him a bit further than Doc, who only nets most KOs from grounded moves.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
But you can just throw pills against Luigi and he's forced to either deal with each pill individually or approach from the air. Both are horrible options for him. Also, Doc destroys his recovery.

Zonak

Smash Cadet
Luigi vs Top 8 and Doc vs Top 8 is really dependent on MU and stage. Like, Luigi gets kinda boned on FD vs characters like Marth, Falco, and Sheik because his approach is super one dimensional. However, Luigi has really good kill power, kill setups, and his combos flow naturally. Doc has a safer neutral since he has a zoning tool with pills, but Luigi can mix up his wd approach since it's so fast. Depends on your playstyle more than which character is "better".

As for Doc v Luigi, I think it's pretty even. Luigi has tricky ways to get inside, and can punish certain pill throw heights really well. His punish game is also better on Doc than Doc on Luigi's. They also both body each other offstage, with misfire being tough for Doc to deal with without a read on the RNG. I've played this MU from the Luigi side a couple of times against yedi and I've played it from the Doc side against Dirty Weej. I definitely think that each of them have different strengths in the mu and neither character has something that favors them enough to make it not even.

DocDK

Smash Rookie
Luigi vs Top 8 and Doc vs Top 8 is really dependent on MU and stage. Like, Luigi gets kinda boned on FD vs characters like Marth, Falco, and Sheik because his approach is super one dimensional. However, Luigi has really good kill power, kill setups, and his combos flow naturally. Doc has a safer neutral since he has a zoning tool with pills, but Luigi can mix up his wd approach since it's so fast. Depends on your playstyle more than which character is "better".

As for Doc v Luigi, I think it's pretty even. Luigi has tricky ways to get inside, and can punish certain pill throw heights really well. His punish game is also better on Doc than Doc on Luigi's. They also both body each other offstage, with misfire being tough for Doc to deal with without a read on the RNG. I've played this MU from the Luigi side a couple of times against yedi and I've played it from the Doc side against Dirty Weej. I definitely think that each of them have different strengths in the mu and neither character has something that favors them enough to make it not even.
Thanks man. You ****in Doc mains make this world go round

Zonak

Smash Cadet
Me vs dizzkidboogie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP8LNuvf8is

So Game 1 goes really well. I could have taken it if I didn't make a couple flubs. Game 2 I think I beat myself. My spacing was so bad and I just kept getting grabbed.

I am implementing new stuff into the matchup. A lot more grabs into quick throws (fthrow is really good) and lots of dunks.

Max?

Smash Champion
At this point in time in the meta, Luigi is better overall. Better range, mobility, speed, mixups, combo potential, aerials (except for bair, and arguably Doc fair, tho Luigi's KO power off of ALL of his aerials is superb overall). Speed is the name of the game now, and throwing pills can be a liability and were usually a selling point in playing Doc. Both of their recoveries suck once people learn how to deal with them. A number of the matchups I used to hate as Luigi now feel way better as I optimize his combo game (Sheik/Falco/Falcon) tho Marth still seems to be really annoying.

You all know I think Doc has the tools to stay viable, it just feels easier with Luigi. Doc mains gotta step it up on the whole and optimize him.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
one thing i randomly developed while playing in tourney the last few days is: aborting your shorthop forward with a waveland / triangle jump down.

most people are very primed to watch for you short hopping towards them so they can counter your approach with shield or stuff it with an anti-air like fox's uptilt or their own aerial. by jumping towards them and then triangle jumping down, you abruptly cancel your aerial momentum and get grounded which is great for doc. usually you can punish what they tried to do to counter your approach.

I usually jab after i land to set up the jab mix up doc has. but this opens up a ton of other possibilities. i'll link some in game examples soon

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
Hey M80s, so I think it's about time that someone better than me critiques my Doc. I think my movement is alright, but there's a lot of moments where I approach aimlessly and get punished for it. This was recorded with Fraps since we were playing Dolphin Netplay against my Falco friend who also played C. Falcon. There was a lot of technical flubs coming from the both of us, quite frankly because Netplay can sometimes be unresponsive and I was using an Xbox controller instead of a GC controller (No johns, doe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-a6HRs2eR4&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj3VGsYGLkg&feature=youtu.be

Any tips? Thanks in advance!

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hey M80s, so I think it's about time that someone better than me critiques my Doc. I think my movement is alright, but there's a lot of moments where I approach aimlessly and get punished for it. This was recorded with Fraps since we were playing Dolphin Netplay against my Falco friend who also played C. Falcon. There was a lot of technical flubs coming from the both of us, quite frankly because Netplay can sometimes be unresponsive and I was using an Xbox controller instead of a GC controller (No johns, doe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-a6HRs2eR4&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj3VGsYGLkg&feature=youtu.be

Any tips? Thanks in advance!
For the Falcon vid:

0:07 you get hit from neutal start. Try to take advantage and get first hit to follow up from there.

0:29 - I see you coming back from the edge, you jab when he isn't there. Then you leave and go back to center. I just feel like you dropped an opportunity to push falcon further off stage. Shoulda stayed to keep him off.

1:49 - Get better at following up onto platform. That's also something I need to get better at, but I just always backthrow instead. I think it's better to wait when you uthrow them, then attack.

2:02 - You jab dsmash twice into his shield. Stop doing the same thing if you just hit his shield, you are asking to be punished. I spam it too sometimes so it's cool, just be aware of it. :D

2:16 - Were you going to dsmash? ;o Would have been your third time. I think falcon had caught on, and that was why he grabbed you. Although, if you were going to grab, then I also understand how that feels. "Hey man, that's jab > grab for me, not jab and then you grab! D: < "

2:36 - You fair and miss, and he nairs. This chains into uairs and to you eventually being killed! Try to quell your habit of fairing. Make sure when you fair, that it's guarunteed.

3:16 - You rolled, and were prey to a grab and follow up. I guess try to avoid that somehow haha.

3:42 - You airdodge and get hit right after it. I guess try not to make that mistake again, nothing else you can do. Execution error. Just practice more. Could be the netplay thing like you said, then just hope that happens less. ^ _ ^

3:21 - He's shielding. Maybe do a turn around grab instead of dsmash! :D

3:52 - Don't cape while just standing there. That was what got you hit in that last stock, to you getting killed. Dogy recommends a jumping cape. (Possibly away, in a defensive manner) That way you can waveland from it and not be an easy target.

For the Falco vid:

0:04 - You wd up to him but don't do anything, you just move back. Good movement, but you dropped the opportunity to hit/grab him.

0:21: You dsmashed and I think you had the opportunity to dsmash again. ;-; You just wd'shed back.

0:34 - Here is where I think your movement does wonders for you. I do poorly in this area at times, and sometimes get hit here. Yet they just get up and you wd in with a fsmash. Pretty good and I liked that. Pretty stylish too.

Good platform movement.

0:52 - Get better at wd back and fsmash. Just get better at the spacing, and try to guess correctly. Or just ftilt his side-b, then cape.

0:57 - I liked this too. If this were me, I might have uthrowed into bair or uair, most likely bair. Again, also looked pretty stylin.

1:16 - Prolly shoulda full hopped fair. I'm not the best with throw > fairing so take this with a grain of salt.

1:42 - You use nair to approach, while he uses dair, which beats you and he then shines you. I think the trick is to wait for him to come down and then committ. (Because it's hard to beat his arials with our own)

I'm not that good, but here's my conclusion. I see that you move around alot, but not doing enough 'stuff'. I think you should work on getting more grabs, and on combo'ing and on following up. Focus on your punishment game (that's also something I am told and need to work on) I also wonder, do you move around simply to move around, or do you have a purpose to moving around? If you do, what is that purpose? I also think you should work on your edgeguarding. I'll upload some vids too, but I still need work myself. I actually need to move around like you, yet I don't lol.

For the Falco vid, I think your movement really helps you against this match up. Falcon is more mobile than you are, so he destroys you and catches you everywhere haha. I think in between 1:16 and 1:42, you could have gone for a grab at least. Again, more grabs. You did well edge guarding him. Everytime I grab falco, I throw him off stage. Falco is only good on stage! ;D

If anyone has any thoughts on this or just things to add on, please do.

Last edited:

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
For the Falcon vid:

0:07 you get hit from neutal start. Try to take advantage and get first hit to follow up from there.

0:29 - I see you coming back from the edge, you jab when he isn't there. Then you leave and go back to center. I just feel like you dropped an opportunity to push falcon further off stage. Shoulda stayed to keep him off.

1:49 - Get better at following up onto platform. That's also something I need to get better at, but I just always backthrow instead. I think it's better to wait when you uthrow them, then attack.

2:02 - You jab dsmash twice into his shield. Stop doing the same thing if you just hit his shield, you are asking to be punished. I spam it too sometimes so it's cool, just be aware of it. :D

2:16 - Were you going to dsmash? ;o Would have been your third time. I think falcon had caught on, and that was why he grabbed you. Although, if you were going to grab, then I also understand how that feels. "Hey man, that's jab > grab for me, not jab and then you grab! D: < "

2:36 - You fair and miss, and he nairs. This chains into uairs and to you eventually being killed! Try to quell your habit of fairing. Make sure when you fair, that it's guarunteed.

3:16 - You rolled, and were prey to a grab and follow up. I guess try to avoid that somehow haha.

3:42 - You airdodge and get hit right after it. I guess try not to make that mistake again, nothing else you can do. Execution error. Just practice more. Could be the netplay thing like you said, then just hope that happens less. ^ _ ^

3:21 - He's shielding. Maybe do a turn around grab instead of dsmash! :D

3:52 - Don't cape while just standing there. That was what got you hit in that last stock, to you getting killed. Dogy recommends a jumping cape. (Possibly away, in a defensive manner) That way you can waveland from it and not be an easy target.

For the Falco vid:

0:04 - You wd up to him but don't do anything, you just move back. Good movement, but you dropped the opportunity to hit/grab him.

0:21: You dsmashed and I think you had the opportunity to dsmash again. ;-; You just wd'shed back.

0:34 - Here is where I think your movement does wonders for you. I do poorly in this area at times, and sometimes get hit here. Yet they just get up and you wd in with a fsmash. Pretty good and I liked that. Pretty stylish too.

Good platform movement.

0:52 - Get better at wd back and fsmash. Just get better at the spacing, and try to guess correctly. Or just ftilt his side-b, then cape.

0:57 - I liked this too. If this were me, I might have uthrowed into bair or uair, most likely bair. Again, also looked pretty stylin.

1:16 - Prolly shoulda full hopped fair. I'm not the best with throw > fairing so take this with a grain of salt.

1:42 - You use nair to approach, while he uses dair, which beats you and he then shines you. I think the trick is to wait for him to come down and then committ. (Because it's hard to beat his arials with our own)

I'm not that good, but here's my conclusion. I see that you move around alot, but not doing enough 'stuff'. I think you should work on getting more grabs, and on combo'ing and on following up. Focus on your punishment game (that's also something I am told and need to work on) I also wonder, do you move around simply to move around, or do you have a purpose to moving around? If you do, what is that purpose? I also think you should work on your edgeguarding. I'll upload some vids too, but I still need work myself. I actually need to move around like you, yet I don't lol.

For the Falco vid, I think your movement really helps you against this match up. Falcon is more mobile than you are, so he destroys you and catches you everywhere haha. I think in between 1:16 and 1:42, you could have gone for a grab at least. Again, more grabs. You did well edge guarding him. Everytime I grab falco, I throw him off stage. Falco is only good on stage! ;D

If anyone has any thoughts on this or just things to add on, please do.

Thanks for the awesome input! I tend to move around a lot to disrupt the neutral and to make it hard to punish my mistakes while waiting for him to come over to me. But this in turn doesn't allow me to do that much stuff, like you mentioned. My punish game REALLY needs improvement, I do roll aimlessly where a good player would definitely punish. I also play against his Falco the most, so I learned to improve my movement so that he doesn't get totally free approaches. (I just realized that he got 3 stocked that game, LOL. He actually beats me more than I do lol.)

All the times where it looked like I did nothing, or full hop instead of short hop was due to the Xbox controller disconnecting. (It's a third party Xbox controller, so the responsiveness and the longevity of the thing left a lot to be desired.)

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
You are welcome, anytime! Maybe we'll play sometime. Here's a video of me playing some friends in the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Clj_kZCiDY (It's quite long with many matches)

I would also like some critique. : D (I also realize I made some of the same mistakes, do as I say not as I do : P )

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Sir Bubbles, you have great movement and overall good awareness of how to cope with your opponent's tactics. I think you have the potential to get pretty good (you're already quite solid). One suggestion I might offer is work on adding more out of shield options because it felt like you got a little predictable once you were stuck in shield.

Keep up the good work! :eek:

Last edited:

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
You are welcome, anytime! Maybe we'll play sometime. Here's a video of me playing some friends in the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Clj_kZCiDY (It's quite long with many matches)

I would also like some critique. : D (I also realize I made some of the same mistakes, do as I say not as I do : P )
I'd love to play against you one of these days!

Sir Bubbles, you have great movement and overall good awareness of how to cope with your opponent's tactics. I think you have the potential to get pretty good (you're already quite solid). One suggestion I might offer is work on adding more out of shield options because it felt like you got a little predictable once you were stuck in shield.

Keep up the good work! :eek:
Awww, Thanks a lot. This boosted my confidence!

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
bubblesss

uair oos too good: https://youtu.be/Q2C0BF-bxJc?t=556

one thing i randomly developed while playing in tourney the last few days is: aborting your shorthop forward with a waveland / triangle jump down.

most people are very primed to watch for you short hopping towards them so they can counter your approach with shield or stuff it with an anti-air like fox's uptilt or their own aerial. by jumping towards them and then triangle jumping down, you abruptly cancel your aerial momentum and get grounded which is great for doc. usually you can punish what they tried to do to counter your approach.

I usually jab after i land to set up the jab mix up doc has. but this opens up a ton of other possibilities. i'll link some in game examples soon
examples of using waveland / triangle jump down for baiting / spacing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2C0BF-bxJc&feature=youtu.be&t=428 -- baits his nair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2C0BF-bxJc&feature=youtu.be&t=436 -- baits his utilt

Last edited:

g□□n

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have the vod of the time mango was drunk playing doc against dunk on stream? I feel like I learned more about doc's edgeguarding watching those games than watching any other doc mains games. I love you all.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Me vs dizzkidboogie

So Game 1 goes really well. I could have taken it if I didn't make a couple flubs. Game 2 I think I beat myself. My spacing was so bad and I just kept getting grabbed.

I am implementing new stuff into the matchup. A lot more grabs into quick throws (fthrow is really good) and lots of dunks.
Spam pills more from platforms. Make them come to you on the platform and go from there. Be more cautious, don't be moving around so willy nilly around Dizz. Like you said, you kept getting grabbed because you weren't scared of the wobble. Now I'm going to always try to separate them due to that fear. I think game 2 you should have gone somewhere like yoshi's, not stadium. I think you should improve on edge guading popo as well. I see you go for a few fairs and missed. Try going for something else maybe? BE CAREFUL with throwing out moves, especially if the icies if defensive. We get ****ed up if he shileds alot and we attack alot, cuz grabs. I think if you focus on not getting grabbed, go to small stages, and separate them alot, and improve on the edge guarding of popo, you'll be good.

Try to out play him in a way that you are always one stock ahead, just in case you make a mistake and get wobbled, as a safety cushion.

Last edited:

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Me vs dizzkidboogie

Sorry you had to experience that. I don't appreciate wobblers. But most ICs who rely on wobbling that heavily are rather predictable and easy to manipulate.

Next time you anticipate wobbling, try to do everything not to land in front of his shield. You could space f-airs, f-tilts, and d-smashes. The d-smashes even cause extra hitstun on the ICs shields and push the ICs away. You could also try crossing up the ICs shield with shorthop (SH) up-airs or SH b-airs so that you don't land in front of their shields. The cape is a good psych out as well.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
bubblesss

uair oos too good: https://youtu.be/Q2C0BF-bxJc?t=556

examples of using waveland / triangle jump down for baiting / spacing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2C0BF-bxJc&feature=youtu.be&t=428 -- baits his nair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2C0BF-bxJc&feature=youtu.be&t=436 -- baits his utilt
Thanks for this. Going to try to keep this in mind.

I always like to wavedash forward and then wave dash back, especially against chars like Marth. I would prefer wavelanding back instead of triangle jumping, as I feel more mobile. If I triangle jump down I feel like i'm staying in place for too long, as if i'm stuck. But I guess that would also throw off the other peson. Maybe I'd do that against like falcon and fox, but not marth lol. I'll try it.

Re-reading, I noticed why I wouldn't do it normally... I jump too much. I should use triangle jumping against shiek then, since my ground game is not really there. Thank god for dash dancing.

Last edited:

Max?

Smash Champion
To beat Icies use Luigi, platform camp and be patient. With spaced moves Icies can barely touch him

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Thanks for this. Going to try to keep this in mind.

I always like to wavedash forward and then wave dash back, especially against chars like Marth. I would prefer wavelanding back instead of triangle jumping, as I feel more mobile. If I triangle jump down I feel like i'm staying in place for too long, as if i'm stuck. But I guess that would also throw off the other peson. Maybe I'd do that against like falcon and fox, but not marth lol. I'll try it.

Re-reading, I noticed why I wouldn't do it normally... I jump too much. I should use triangle jumping against shiek then, since my ground game is not really there. Thank god for dash dancing.
i waveland back all the time, ****s fun to do with like every character.

the difference with the triangle jump down, is that you get to set your spacing at whatever place it needs to be, while feinting the approach. it's also way faster than waiting for your SH to end so you can waveland, so you can move out of it quicker then you expect. when someone sees you short hopping at them, they have their ways of combating your aerial that is timed around your sh and spaced around the momentum. if you abort the sh preemptively, that throws them off, and in a lot of times you have the time to react to what they wanna do.

ideally you play around with both wavelands and this triangle jump down and other movement trixies

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
maybe useful maybe not braindump:

I lost to zofrea for the first time in a while a few days ago, but i got controller johns.... (on last hit last stock, i accidentally downsmashed in the wrong direction cuz my controller sucks at dashing so i got grabbed and wrecked... ANYWAYS)

what i've learned:

YOOOOO yoshis story vs sheik can be so lame. randall helps out her recovery so much, especially a sheik that is good at always recovering on stage and is ok with getting hit back off 1 or 2 more times while waiting for randall. so getting gimps is harder. also she kills you way earlier so you can't abuse your godlike survival skills. I used to like the yoshi's CP but i think i might change my mind. i'd guess FoD is better when having to choose between the two

I also noticed that sometimes I like to abuse run up and shield vs characters with good anti air games like sheik. This can be good vs scrubby players so you can shield the tilt and grab / upsmash or w/e. But vs better players they'll be ready for the shield and will either grab you or anti-air with a spaced fair instead.

also when you're always moving forward you kind of play into their rhythm. sometimes I would run up and shield and other times id run up and sh uair/nair or fullhop nair when desperate. using these options all the time makes them know that you're always tryna go in and it makes it easier for an anti-air character to beat those options.

what I need to remember: I do way better when I faint aggressiveness and play around with my movement more. Doing things like aborting SH with a triangle jump right out of sheiks tilt range can be really good. if they commit to the tilt and whiff you're not in range to hit with your own tilt, a grab, sh uair, dsmash etc. also now they're being pressured instead of you.

also just DDing more vs sheik is too good, since it mixes up when you're coming in and you're not playing to their rhythm. dashdancing is soooooo important vs sheik I gotta remember that.

in general, docs movement is better than sheiks. the match up isn't hard if you can get her to whiff and take advantage of that.

Same with marth actually, though his range can be scarier to deal with and he's way faster on the ground so you gotta worry bout that ****

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Sup guys. I've been messing around with Doc lately and I notice there are a few things that I do with Doc that I'm not sure are really good or not.

I have a tendency to come down with dair a lot. I know it's rather disjointed, but would it be better to try to bair when coming down instead? Coming down from getting knocked high in the air of course. I also feel like I come down with dair to hit my opponent on the ground and then connect with an uptilt. Is this supposed to work? It seems like a nice little chain that I can do.

I really like using Docs uptilt in general, I'm just not really aware of all the situations that it proves to be useful.

I've looked at jab to uptilt in debug mode and it looks like it reaches pretty far in front of you, but the uptilt will push them away instead of up if you hit it at the beginning frames. Is there any real use to hit the opponent away at the trajectory?

Also lol I don't know how to pill in neutral. I tend to just run away and do a retreating pill and then slowly come back in while doing SH and FH pills, trying to close into my opponent, but I might be coming in to much when I do that. I often don't know when to go in vs an opponent that I hit a pill with and try to close the distance. Is there something I should be looking for?

Should nair ever be used in neutral? How about off-stage to try to gimp someone? Can dair be viable for edgeguarding since it reaches below the ledge? When should I use Doc's cape vs Falco's lasers and Peach's turnips? Should I cape retreating or towards my opponent? Do you guys use SH instant upair to hit opponents off the ground much? What do you do off of it if that happens? (vs fast fallers).

It's gonna be a while before I'm used to this character again lol.

Top Bottom