• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Yeah, we just need a godlike Doc to start bopping people and everyone will start playing him again.
honestly i think doc is getting a lot of love these days.

just in tristate we've seen a bunch of docs come out and start being active again, at least in the north east

me
kevorkians been truckin this entire time
otg started playing more at nebs
sir bubbles just started out
ranmaru is returning
we have velocity in PA doing it big

then elsewhere
boss does **** on occasion
mr lemon has always been killing it in MA
eagle also in MD/VA exists... but i dunno too much about him
I just met a new doc main at a tourney the other day who wasn't too shabby, i forget his name tho

on the west coast we got reason and imyt being both good and relevant

honestly, i can easily see a doc player break out into the limelight. the biggest contenders are otg and reason, but everyone else is also not too shabby and with a year of work or so can probably start taking names

Last edited:

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0hg5v4Vtl4

This is a great combo video with a lot of cool stuff , like nair gimps , and an interesting dash attack edge guard at 4:28, also a lot of up air strings into nair.

Very interesting the way this guy plays. The last clip was very good.

Enjoy!
i remember seeing this way back in the day

nair gimps were pretty cool

https://youtu.be/c0hg5v4Vtl4?t=249 I need to start doing this vs zofrea... even if the sheik went for the stage, i would have enough time to punish after the cape

my punish game in general needs work, i need to replace all my fsmash hardreads with upsmash so I can combo to fair... its like second combo in shroomeds combo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLuAxPQXoc

Last edited:

Max?

Smash Champion
otg started playing more at nebs

honestly, i can easily see a doc player break out into the limelight. the biggest contenders are otg and reason, but everyone else is also not too shabby and with a year of work or so can probably start taking names
Atm I have no intention of going to tournies for awhile. Too much irl **** going on. If I do start competing again, I decided I'm going to main Fox and Luigi. Luigi is better than Doc imo, and I don't really have fun using him anymore. In the last year when I was active and maining Doc solo (Except for Luigi vs. Climbers) I had the best results bar none of any Doc player in the country, and was the "Best" out of all the people who mained him. Shroomed, m2k, whoever else probably have a better Doc than me, but don't actively use him anymore, so whatever. That said, good luck to all the Doc players. I will still play him from time to time, and he is still probably my best character, but time to move onto bigger and better things.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I'm going ham. I have been getting better too it seems, but I still need alot of work. Going to alot more tournaments. Couldn't go last weekend because I had work. I was almost about to QUIT my job, but they said they were able to free up Saturday at least. Saturday is all I need. Otherwise I get sad.

Spaghetti Sammy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FreshBagels
3DS FC
0104-0256-0397
Can I make my "Doc for S tier" joke here?
It went something like:
DOC FOR S TIER
DOC FOR S TIER
DOC FOR S TIER
MAKE IT OFFICIAL NERD
S :foxmelee::foxmelee::foxmelee::foxmelee::foxmelee::foxmelee::foxmelee::foxmelee::drmario:
F- EVERYONE ELSE IN THE GAME

I got a warning for posting it on the serious tier thread because Smashboards is the official super duper double bubble McBig buck double mc buck buck double mc **** bubble site 4 super cool doods like KiraFlex and K9 and has nooooooooo time whatsoever for my **** posting.

plz no ban

Zonak

Smash Cadet
So 2 things I think that I wanna really wanna work on to get my Doc to that 20Rx level is the dthrow chaingrab on Spacies and tech chasing.

I've been using dthrow on spacies and getting a tech chase to get them to a percent that's easier to start the chaingrab with. It's also good for Falcon since you can't chaingrab him immediately at 0 (why does he have to be so heavy :/). You can also platform tech chase marth with uthrow from around 0-10% assuming they DI to the platform. You can get some fat percent with either a regrab into combo (like dair) or extended platform tech chase to a top platform on 3 platform stages, or an usmash read into something.

The dthrow on spacies tho is such a tight window at the percents it starts working ( I think late 50s or early 60s). It's an easy window if they DI away but if they DI behind you gotta just be on that ****. Gotta just grind it in 20XX til I can get it down. I can do the uthrow CG on FD just fine, but once I get to the percent where it stops working I don't know which option to go for. I could try dthrow->dsmash or uthrow->uair->fsmash but I wanna get them up to that percent where I can just dunk 'em and kill them guaranteed.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
ive finallllllyyyyy started being able to get the usmash out of spacy shield pressure more consistently.

wasn't useful vs NYJoey though cuz he never aerials my shield sigghhhhh

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
I just have a problem with handling shield pressure.

I roll out of shield SO often. I can WD/up-b/upsmash out of shield just fine when practicing, but as soon as I face the real pressure in a game I just can't, lol.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I just have a problem with handling shield pressure.

I roll out of shield SO often. I can WD/up-b/upsmash out of shield just fine when practicing, but as soon as I face the real pressure in a game I just can't, lol.
Make sure to time your out of shield option after the shine (and somewhere during their jump-cancel jump squat). Otherwise, shine will stuff whatever you're doing. Up-smash out of shield is great if they're behind you. Wavedash out of shield is good if they're in front of you.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Make sure to time your out of shield option after the shine (and somewhere during their jump-cancel jump squat). Otherwise, shine will stuff whatever you're doing. Up-smash out of shield is great if they're behind you. Wavedash out of shield is good if they're in front of you.
Not Up+B cancel ;)

You can Up+B cancel after Falco d.airs your shield but before he can shine :grin:

Last edited:

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
I'm never quitting Dr Mario.
He's not the best character in the game. But he's so fun to use. Like just his movement around the stages alone is just fun.
I feel the same way about this character. Even if he his trash, I just enjoy him to much currently to ever switch and I'm looking foward to the future and what I can bring to the table with this character/

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
this is very true

though pay attention to whether they do an early aerial on your shield, often you can react to it and shield grab those (despite the trend that shield grabbing is bad)

BCllWX

Smash Rookie
about a week ago, DJ Nintendo came to Boston and we had a fairly long conversation about Doc.

He felt that he and shroomed have pushed Doc to his limits, especially in Nationals where you can expect to run into players who can adapt/have a deep understanding of the MU.

I'm newer to the boards and only have appx. ~1 years worth time of playing competitively, but I do believe that the character, while definitely not the strongest at first glance, also (to me) feels unoptimized and not completely developed (as compared to say, Fox)

Also on the topic of people switching: if you feel like you should switch, I would recommend doing so and committing to it for x amount of time. I don't think its being "lame" if you switch because the end result will make you a better player as long as your doing it because you want to continue to enjoy the game. I had a Falco stint for about half a year and only switched when I realized that, while I felt like my results were starting to improve a lot, I just wasn't enjoying the game as much.

Anyway, I hope to one day put some vids up where you can hopefully all critique me up the @$$. keep the good doctor alive and fighting the good fight :)

circuspig

Day Negative 92 Simon Main
Hey guys. I'm pretty new to Smashboards and competitive melee in general, but I wanted to know if anyone would mind showing me some basics with Docmar or just regular Mario on netplay or something.

Max?

Smash Champion
about a week ago, DJ Nintendo came to Boston and we had a fairly long conversation about Doc.

He felt that he and shroomed have pushed Doc to his limits, especially in Nationals where you can expect to run into players who can adapt/have a deep understanding of the MU.

I'm newer to the boards and only have appx. ~1 years worth time of playing competitively, but I do believe that the character, while definitely not the strongest at first glance, also (to me) feels unoptimized and not completely developed (as compared to say, Fox)

Also on the topic of people switching: if you feel like you should switch, I would recommend doing so and committing to it for x amount of time. I don't think its being "lame" if you switch because the end result will make you a better player as long as your doing it because you want to continue to enjoy the game. I had a Falco stint for about half a year and only switched when I realized that, while I felt like my results were starting to improve a lot, I just wasn't enjoying the game as much.

Anyway, I hope to one day put some vids up where you can hopefully all critique me up the @$$. keep the good doctor alive and fighting the good fight :)

Always funny to hear DJ talk about his Doc when he never, ever, ever ever plays him.

BCllWX

Smash Rookie
Always funny to hear DJ talk about his Doc when he never, ever, ever ever plays him.
Yeah was about to say that LOL. Although looking at his old vods did give me ideas.

Anyway back to trying to push this character further; i've been trying to improve the depth of my defensive options in neutral (I'm fairly gung-ho when it comes to going in). Been practicing a lot of pivot punishes and honestly besides d-smash and f-smash, I haven't had much luck with one that I've felt comfortable with.

I've been theorycrafting reverse up-b in my head but we'll see!

Zonak

Smash Cadet
Dude, your fadeback pills from the ledge are awesome. I definitely wanna practice that and start working it into my play.
Also, I noticed during game one you seemed to be throwing out a lot of hitboxes without purpose, but you definitely fixed that in the other games. You should mix in pill->ftilt more, especially on FD, as it's a solid way to rack up damage against Marth and is safer at higher percents since it knocks him a good distance away. Once you adapted, you were solidly outmaneuvering him though. Good stuff.

Also, I was watching Mr. Lemon vs Mafia the other night. Lemon if you're checkin the thread, your turnip play is friggen godlike. The fact that you got both stitch faces and just wrecked Mafia was amazing.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Also, I was watching Mr. Lemon vs Mafia the other night. Lemon if you're checkin the thread, your turnip play is friggen godlike. The fact that you got both stitch faces and just wrecked Mafia was amazing.
Haha thank you, I usually just spam cape until he throws it lol. But once it hits him or his shield it's super easy to recatch it. Also Mafia and other Peach players know to bait my cape by floating with a turnip until i whiff a cape then they fall in with a f.air. So you have to be careful. Also remember Peach can throw turnips out of shield.

BCllWX

Smash Rookie
@ Mr.Lemon Mr.Lemon always proud to say that this character isn't dead! (i go to tournaments under the tag of Kunai nowadays)

Been getting 17th/103 and having close sets with a lot of the top New England Melee players despite them all having Doc experience so I think I'm getting there!

Headed back home to Jersey so we'll see if I can make some waves before I get back :p

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
BCllWX, i hope you absorbed some lemon knowledge while you were there.

Hit me up when you're in jersey !

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
oh sick, faber and spike aren't shabby at all either so thats pretty respectable.. gonna check out some of those vods

edit: you def know your stuff. i would just say vs falco you need more fh pills and vs marth more crouch canceling and less sh nair. though your nairs are always like perfect wd -> dash sh NAIR which seems is overshooting faber a lot. so it's working a lil better than kevorkian nair (sh nair still sucks and is risky tho)

but solid fosho, i like the doc its pretty aggro. can't wait to play you. cool to have yet another solid doc in tristate

Last edited:

BCllWX

Smash Rookie
oh sick, faber and spike aren't shabby at all either so thats pretty respectable.. gonna check out some of those vods

edit: you def know your stuff. i would just say vs falco you need more fh pills and vs marth more crouch canceling and less sh nair. though your nairs are always like perfect wd -> dash sh NAIR which seems is overshooting faber a lot. so it's working a lil better than kevorkian nair (sh nair still sucks and is risky tho)

but solid fosho, i like the doc its pretty aggro. can't wait to play you. cool to have yet another solid doc in tristate
I think against Falco I needed to respect aerials more. I challenge them a lot. I also do agree that I sh-nair far too often; I'll try to incorporate more ground-based mix-ups.

Also d-tilt always makes me a bit queasy when CC'ing against Marth but its definitely something I have to get over.

When I find time, I'm gonna sit down and watch my set with Lemon v Zoso and old Shroomed vs PPU sets and see what I can learn. It'll probably do me good.

Feel free to add me on fb or whatnot; I'm going back to HBA today for Melee!

Top Bottom