• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do the stages actually kill us, or is it our own fault?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
That's why you turn off items, unless you're just screwing around, having fun, or in an item tourney (in which stupid items are turned off.)

marthmaster59

Smash Journeyman
stages like Frigate Orpheon and Spear Pillar are completely unfair, but on the so-called "worst stage" on the list,Hanenbow doesn't do anything to damage you or give you knockback, so I guess people are just :mad: because it is hard to win on those stages.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
stages like Frigate Orpheon and Spear Pillar are completely unfair, but on the so-called "worst stage" on the list,Hanenbow doesn't do anything to damage you or give you knockback, so I guess people are just :mad: because it is hard to win on those stages.
First off, Spear Pillar is banned for randomness. Frigate warns you when it's gonna flip.
Hanebrow doesn't let you grab onto the edge (correct me if I'm wrong.)

Deoxys

Smash Lord
First off, Spear Pillar is banned for randomness. Frigate warns you when it's gonna flip.
Hanebrow doesn't let you grab onto the edge (correct me if I'm wrong.)
Spear pillar is banned primarily for its Cave of Immortality. Hanenbow does let you grab onto the ledge, and if it didn't that still wouldn't be reason to ban it. Hanenbow is banned because it allows for circle camping.

Why? Just because they are predictable does not mean they are easy to avoid. Hitting a shield with dash attack, because you thought you could hit your opponent in time, and then getting grabbed for it is predictable, does that mean I suck for getting grabbed? Of course not, it was just a simple mistake anyone makes.
That's not a mistake. You thought your opponent would respond differently. If you did this and knew your opponent would shield, then you obviously suck.

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
Alright, to everyone saying "just don't get into that situation then."

It's a lot harder than it sounds. Am I just supposed to stand in one particular spot on the stage, meanwhile keeping my opponent at bay? Am I supposed to fight normally, except not let the opponent grab me, ever, during the entire match, so he can't throw me into the obstacles?

Seriously, try going an entire match without getting grabbed. It's freaking hard.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Neutrals are better because they focus more on raw skill
True, true. But counters are used to get your opponent's goat. And it comes down to how well you can play the stage along with beasting your opponent. FOR EXAMPLE: I play Olimar on Norfair. Yes, the lava eats my pikmin, but I get a lots of opps for up smash. and Up-B as an attack move. and since there are three ledges on both sides, I don't get edgeguarded. To finish the assembly, I've trained myself to do well on that stage, so the lava doesn't bother me, but my opponent. Even when I'm fleeing hazards, I still keep on the offense about 95% of the time.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Isn't that the whole point of a counter-pick though? A stage 'that can kill you' being easier to play on with certain characters than others or a player preferring/feeling comfortable on a stage more than his/her opponent. Psy.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Isn't that the whole point of a counter-pick though? A stage 'that can kill you' being easier to play on with certain characters than others or a player preferring/feeling comfortable on a stage more than his/her opponent. Psy.
Not all counter stages can kill. But when they do, it's still the dead guy's fault

AlKrauser

Smash Cadet
you should be worried about your opponent in brawl, not the stage you are on. That is very hard to do when you have bombs being thrown at you on the Pirate Ship. the Halberd has no excuse, since you get a like 15 second warning of everything that hits u in the background + it is usually very slow.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
you should be worried about your opponent in brawl, not the stage you are on. That is very hard to do when you have bombs being thrown at you on the Pirate Ship. the Halberd has no excuse, since you get a like 15 second warning of everything that hits u in the background + it is usually very slow.
Trust a guy who loses a lot: The stage is always a small concern compared to the opponent. And you can see those bombs coming from a mile away

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
why would anyone trust a guy who loses a lot?

i'd be inclined to disagree with him
Because I've lost by letting my guard down on stages like these. You gotta fight the big battle with the small battles intertwined

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I remember when a friend of mine and I were battling in the water on pirate ship (right side) when a bomb came out of nowhere and blew us around. Then another bomb came and killed us both. It was hilarious.

But yeah, this is an example of when it could come out of nowhere.

I still want Summit to be a neutral. :D

Tcherno

Smash Rookie
If u think you just get killed by the stage, it's because you were at the wrong place at the wrong moment (IMO)

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Honestly its all situational. If you get hit or thrown into an obstacle thats your fault not the stages. But on things like at skyworld, where your recovery move breaks the platform or like the dip on the edged of final destination stops u from recovering, thats the stages fault i think

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Honestly its all situational. If you get hit or thrown into an obstacle thats your fault not the stages. But on things like at skyworld, where your recovery move breaks the platform or like the dip on the edged of final destination stops u from recovering, thats the stages fault i think
It's still your fault for picking a character with a situational recovery. Lol.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it is your fault that you got killed. Its johnning; the act of blaming your loss on something else to avoid the fact that you yourself are ultimately responsible for your failures. This is in fact one of the defining features of scrubs - blaming everything but themselves for losing.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
well it's probably your own fault but it might be the stage like spear dialga and palkia can you that beam but those things are easy to get away from anyway
Those beams can be shielded. It's the stage flipping/control reversing/time slowing/garvity killing/cave that makes it banned

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
I think that there is a problem when death is defined beyond either players jurisdiction so the fight turns into a test of survival on a stage instead of a fight.

I hate Skyworld, but I can't make a strong argument to have it banned, so...
Hmm!? I thought it already was banned...

I say it's the players fault
I say it's not always.

to meh...some stages are banned for a reason.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
I hate Skyworld, but I can't make a strong argument to have it banned, so...
well it has the platform that randomly floats at the bottom of the screen, it can save people from dying when they should.
and i think you cant edge-hang on the cloud after the floor goes away.
AND you can perfectly charge an upsmash, and instead of getting KO'd, they bounce inbetween the bottom and top platform.

if it's not banned, you might could get it banned...

Mr.T 07

Smash Journeyman
its completely the players fault if they get hit by a hazard on the stage. wether its cause the opponent hit them, they tripped, or they just stood there like an idiot, its their fault because every situation, even on spear pillar can be avoided.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
i mostly agree with mr. t, everything can be avoided (why i play with items soimetimes). but alot of stages have things that can be inconvienioncing, and give one player an advantage. However, I despise spear pillar, cuz it makes low gravity sometimes, and it REVERSES THE CONTROLS!! i really hate trying to set up a fully charged smash at the end of a combo when a LEGENDARY POKEMON JUMPS ON TOP OF ME, AND ELECTRICUTES ME!!

i love jungle japes' klap traps! jigglypuff's best stage!

.Marik

is a social misfit
More so than not, it's the players fault, every good Brawler knows most of the time when a trap is going to stike.

Top Bottom