• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do the stages actually kill us, or is it our own fault?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
It's actually our own fault for choosing the horrible stages in the first place, but I guess it's not as much our fault as it is Sakurai's for including those stages.

But yes, the stages kill us.
No they don't. We've already discussed this. come back with logical reasoning on if they do and how so. But it was probably already analyzed bub.

SparkZ

Smash Cadet
Here are my ways of advoiding stage hazards. Read them if you are fed up with the claw on Halberd, etc, but be warned, I don't have the answers to everything. These may fail, but they do provide good pointers. Covering what to do about glitches, suicide moves, or totally unadvoidable circumstances, skip to the end.

75M: Don't play there. If you do, advoid the predictible fires, and clear out from the top when the music comes. To advoid being hit into either one of these, camp at the bottom left platform. As for being hit onto the downward platforms and being carried offscreen, I can't help you.
Bridge of Eldin: For the warthog, hit him. When the foe hits you into him, I have no answer. For the bomb, run far away as fast as you can when the hog approaches the center of the screen. Stay away from the foe until it goes off. For being far underneath the bridge when it reforms, either advoid the foe, or try to recover earlier. If you were spiked underneath, you could have advoided it by running away.
Castle Siege: To advoid the lip, either DI away while falling to advoid being under it if you have a good vertical recovery, or DI up while hit if you have good horizontal. For the moving edge on the third part, I can't help you. To advoid being in a bad position when you come out of the transformation stage, stick to the middle of the grey part.
Delfino Plaza: Stick to the middle of the stage, or get a good sense of when the platform will take off, and go to the middle then. However, the foe may still hit you onto the ground.
Distant Planet: When the Bulborb has his mouth open, you MAY(note...MAY) be able to survive because he has an edge to grab onto on the mouth. Attempt to DI/fall toward it. Grab, and jump away. In the diagram, the O is where the edge is.
.......|-----\
.......| .....\
.......|...... \
.......| .......\
..O---| ........\
For when he doesn't open his mouth, get off his back ASAP. If you are hit onto him and he scoots away, I can't help you, except telling you to DI to try not to land there.
Final Destination: See Castle Siege for tips on the overhang.
Flat Zone 2: Nothing about dissapearing platforms, but on the lion version, stick to the top platform. Same with the gas station.
Frigate Orpheon: Be sure to be in the air when the stage flips, and try to advoid the foe when the alarm goes off. As for being stuck on a fleeing platform, see Distant Planet. As for the platform rising just before you land on it, I can't help you.
Green Hill Zone: Advoid the checkpoint when it has been hit, and recover immediately when you see the ground give way.
Halberd: Try the same tips for takeoff as was given for Delfino Plaza, and you will do fine. However, there are no guarentees of advoiding being left behind. The cannonball is slow as heck, anyone can dodge it, but ther are no guarrenteed ways to advoid being hit into it. The laser can be smash DI'd out of, just furiously tap the direction you want to get out. You will still take damage, but you won't be KO'd. However, you can't DI all the way from one side to the other. PS, the final hitbox with knockback is slightly bigger than the laser, so back away just a little farther. As for the claw, you can pass off the attack to the other guy by running through him, just like you had a gooey bomb. First, run away from him to figure out who it is targeting, and then pass it off to him. If it locks on to you, either sheild or dodge.
Hanenbow: Don't play here. If you do,I am unabe to help you with any issues you might have.
Luigi's Mansion: See Castle Siege for tips on not being caught under the edge.
Lylat Cruise: See Castle Siege for overhang tips, but I can't help with the times when you can't grab the edge.
Mario Bros: Only 7 year olds who think that this carp is fun pick this. NO HELP FOR YOU!
Mario Circut: Don't be on the track when the cars come by, and I can't help you if you are hit into them.
Mushroomy Kingdom 1 and 2: Play not upon these cursed stages.
New Pork City: Try to keep the wooden plank intact, stay away from the Chimera, don't try to follow someone onto the limo, and you will be fine. Being spiked off the underside of the stage and tripping right when Chimmy appears can't really be helped, but you can try to tech the celing spikes.
Nofair: Do you get the pun? Ummm.... stay away from lava. The walls of it, and it rising can't be helped, but run away from the jets, and when the wave comes, don't try for the capsule. Either shield or jump over the wave.
Pictochat: There is so much random junk here, it isn't even funny. You can try to stay away from the hazards, or knock the foe into them, but I can't do anything about the 9001 problems that can be caused by a creation spawning at a bad time.
Pirate Ship: Don't be near the front of the ship when the rock sinks. Either move away, or get back on the boat pronto. Also, advoid the front when it is sailing. The bombs can be advoided by either camping the top platform, or by keeping a careful eye on the background and running around on ground level, advoiding them/the enemy like the plauge. Try with all your might to advoid being in the water when the tornado comes. Lastly, the catapult is easily survivable. You can either DI down to only end up scraping across the front of the boat, or DI toward the boat to advoid being flung offscreen entirely. I have survived it with a Jigglypuff at 999%, and I have applied it many times in a match.
Pokemon Stadium 2: Ledges are old hat by now, so the only problem is those conveyer belts. A: never do a laggy move on them. B: Stay in the middle. C: Keep your presence of mind to recover, and not just fall off the edge.
Port Town Aero Drive: I have already covered not being left behind. No help about no edges, floor hitting them, or falling right when the track goes over a hole. For the wall, just stay away from it, (you may still be hit into it). About the cars, keep an eye on the background, and stay in the air or on a high platform. Remember, camp the top platform on the place when the track suddenly rises.
Rumble Falls: Keep up. Forget fighting if you are slow, just survive and try not to be hit back down. Try to advoid the spikes, but especially advoid the diagonal one. DI down or toward the spike if hit. You are far more likely to survive then.
Skyworld: No help on everything except one. If the foe breaks the lower platform, stay up at the top so as not to be spiked through the clouds and have the platform reform on top of you.
Smashville: Don't kill yourself while trying to pop the baloon.;)
Spear Pillar: If it is Dialga, either run away from or shield the lasers, and run away from him when he lets out a very long roar. For Palkia, same with the lasers, and do not panic when the screen flips. Get used to it. A tip is to have a mirror near you. When it flips upside down, look at the screen between your legs, and when it flips sideways, look in the mirror. For Cresselia, when it goes awooooo... get off the top level, and try your best to dodge the boomerang crecsent.
Summit: No help available on anything but the feesh. It only lunges when you are in the water, so don't fall in. There is a way to dodge it, and it involves swimming one way, and then jumping another way, but I forgot the process. Experiment in training mode, and learn to dodge the evil Fishius Butugliess.
Wario Ware: No help available, except to do what the instructions tell you to. Stay in the middle for the cat, try to line up perfectly with the gap in the arrows, jump when the guy smashes the ground, go to the far right side of the screen for the foot, if someone is charging up a smash when you are supposed to be still, move, bash your foe when you know you can't do the challenge, bash them and taunt at the last second for jimmy, and learn your own method for dealing with the car.
Yoshi's Island: Nothing for dealing with the fickle ghostie.

I may or may not update the melee stages part, but I hope this helped.
As for glitches, like the fall through stage glitch, instadeath glitch, and other programming errors, no help is available. Don't go kamikaze when killing foes, flashiness is cool, but makes you look very dumb when you fail. Don't do the super fart while high up in midair, and with those comments, now go out and apply this stuff!

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
Here are my ways of advoiding stage hazards. Read them if you are fed up with the claw on Halberd, etc, but be warned, I don't have the answers to everything. These may fail, but they do provide good pointers. Covering what to do about glitches, suicide moves, or totally unadvoidable circumstances, skip to the end.

75M: Don't play there. If you do, advoid the predictible fires, and clear out from the top when the music comes. To advoid being hit into either one of these, camp at the bottom left platform. As for being hit onto the downward platforms and being carried offscreen, I can't help you.
Bridge of Eldin: For the warthog, hit him. When the foe hits you into him, I have no answer. For the bomb, run far away as fast as you can when the hog approaches the center of the screen. Stay away from the foe until it goes off. For being far underneath the bridge when it reforms, either advoid the foe, or try to recover earlier. If you were spiked underneath, you could have advoided it by running away.
Castle Siege: To advoid the lip, either DI away while falling to advoid being under it if you have a good vertical recovery, or DI up while hit if you have good horizontal. For the moving edge on the third part, I can't help you. To advoid being in a bad position when you come out of the transformation stage, stick to the middle of the grey part.
Delfino Plaza: Stick to the middle of the stage, or get a good sense of when the platform will take off, and go to the middle then. However, the foe may still hit you onto the ground.
Distant Planet: When the Bulborb has his mouth open, you MAY(note...MAY) be able to survive because he has an edge to grab onto on the mouth. Attempt to DI/fall toward it. Grab, and jump away. In the diagram, the O is where the edge is.
.......|-----\
.......| .....\
.......|...... \
.......| .......\
..O---| ........\
For when he doesn't open his mouth, get off his back ASAP. If you are hit onto him and he scoots away, I can't help you, except telling you to DI to try not to land there.
Final Destination: See Castle Siege for tips on the overhang.
Flat Zone 2: Nothing about dissapearing platforms, but on the lion version, stick to the top platform. Same with the gas station.
Frigate Orpheon: Be sure to be in the air when the stage flips, and try to advoid the foe when the alarm goes off. As for being stuck on a fleeing platform, see Distant Planet. As for the platform rising just before you land on it, I can't help you.
Green Hill Zone: Advoid the checkpoint when it has been hit, and recover immediately when you see the ground give way.
Halberd: Try the same tips for takeoff as was given for Delfino Plaza, and you will do fine. However, there are no guarentees of advoiding being left behind. The cannonball is slow as heck, anyone can dodge it, but ther are no guarrenteed ways to advoid being hit into it. The laser can be smash DI'd out of, just furiously tap the direction you want to get out. You will still take damage, but you won't be KO'd. However, you can't DI all the way from one side to the other. PS, the final hitbox with knockback is slightly bigger than the laser, so back away just a little farther. As for the claw, you can pass off the attack to the other guy by running through him, just like you had a gooey bomb. First, run away from him to figure out who it is targeting, and then pass it off to him. If it locks on to you, either sheild or dodge.
Hanenbow: Don't play here. If you do,I am unabe to help you with any issues you might have.
Luigi's Mansion: See Castle Siege for tips on not being caught under the edge.
Lylat Cruise: See Castle Siege for overhang tips, but I can't help with the times when you can't grab the edge.
Mario Bros: Only 7 year olds who think that this carp is fun pick this. NO HELP FOR YOU!
Mario Circut: Don't be on the track when the cars come by, and I can't help you if you are hit into them.
Mushroomy Kingdom 1 and 2: Play not upon these cursed stages.
New Pork City: Try to keep the wooden plank intact, stay away from the Chimera, don't try to follow someone onto the limo, and you will be fine. Being spiked off the underside of the stage and tripping right when Chimmy appears can't really be helped, but you can try to tech the celing spikes.
Nofair: Do you get the pun? Ummm.... stay away from lava. The walls of it, and it rising can't be helped, but run away from the jets, and when the wave comes, don't try for the capsule. Either shield or jump over the wave.
Pictochat: There is so much random junk here, it isn't even funny. You can try to stay away from the hazards, or knock the foe into them, but I can't do anything about the 9001 problems that can be caused by a creation spawning at a bad time.
Pirate Ship: Don't be near the front of the ship when the rock sinks. Either move away, or get back on the boat pronto. Also, advoid the front when it is sailing. The bombs can be advoided by either camping the top platform, or by keeping a careful eye on the background and running around on ground level, advoiding them/the enemy like the plauge. Try with all your might to advoid being in the water when the tornado comes. Lastly, the catapult is easily survivable. You can either DI down to only end up scraping across the front of the boat, or DI toward the boat to advoid being flung offscreen entirely. I have survived it with a Jigglypuff at 999%, and I have applied it many times in a match.
Pokemon Stadium 2: Ledges are old hat by now, so the only problem is those conveyer belts. A: never do a laggy move on them. B: Stay in the middle. C: Keep your presence of mind to recover, and not just fall off the edge.
Port Town Aero Drive: I have already covered not being left behind. No help about no edges, floor hitting them, or falling right when the track goes over a hole. For the wall, just stay away from it, (you may still be hit into it). About the cars, keep an eye on the background, and stay in the air or on a high platform. Remember, camp the top platform on the place when the track suddenly rises.
Rumble Falls: Keep up. Forget fighting if you are slow, just survive and try not to be hit back down. Try to advoid the spikes, but especially advoid the diagonal one. DI down or toward the spike if hit. You are far more likely to survive then.
Skyworld: No help on everything except one. If the foe breaks the lower platform, stay up at the top so as not to be spiked through the clouds and have the platform reform on top of you.
Smashville: Don't kill yourself while trying to pop the baloon.;)
Spear Pillar: If it is Dialga, either run away from or shield the lasers, and run away from him when he lets out a very long roar. For Palkia, same with the lasers, and do not panic when the screen flips. Get used to it. A tip is to have a mirror near you. When it flips upside down, look at the screen between your legs, and when it flips sideways, look in the mirror. For Cresselia, when it goes awooooo... get off the top level, and try your best to dodge the boomerang crecsent.
Summit: No help available on anything but the feesh. It only lunges when you are in the water, so don't fall in. There is a way to dodge it, and it involves swimming one way, and then jumping another way, but I forgot the process. Experiment in training mode, and learn to dodge the evil Fishius Butugliess.
Wario Ware: No help available, except to do what the instructions tell you to. Stay in the middle for the cat, try to line up perfectly with the gap in the arrows, jump when the guy smashes the ground, go to the far right side of the screen for the foot, if someone is charging up a smash when you are supposed to be still, move, bash your foe when you know you can't do the challenge, bash them and taunt at the last second for jimmy, and learn your own method for dealing with the car.
Yoshi's Island: Nothing for dealing with the fickle ghostie.

I may or may not update the melee stages part, but I hope this helped.
As for glitches, like the fall through stage glitch, instadeath glitch, and other programming errors, no help is available. Don't go kamikaze when killing foes, flashiness is cool, but makes you look very dumb when you fail. Don't do the super fart while high up in midair, and with those comments, now go out and apply this stuff!

My personal rules for random craziness. Do not flame these. Feel free to ignore these. If the foe kills the other guy with something known, or using a predictible part of the stage, and is advoidable/known in advance, like knocking them into a bomb/prow/spike/platform that leaves fast, or them dieing by breaking the edge on Skyworld then it is legit. They have talent for exploiting the stage like that. The same applies to stupidity, like deciding to whack a bomb on Green Greens. If it is something involving much luck, or was hard to but not impossible to advoid, like throwing them in just the right place to have a bomb spawn on them, or them exploiting the other guy's bad luck with the stage, then the guy will take damage. Some examples are the wind making someone miss a smash, and the pictochat fire knocking them into an Uair. Finally, when the foe dies by the hands of a glitch or something totally unpredictible or unadvoidable, then the other guy must commit suicide. If both are on their last stock, then a ramatch is played. Hope this list helped!
Thanks for explaing everything. I didn't know you had to keep moving on Rumble Falls to avoid dying or you could dodge the lazers in Spear Pillar...
/sarcasm

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Yes... I made the bad mistake of bumping it, and I get filled with generic arguments we've already proven fair.

Top Bottom