• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do people truly care what tier their character is?

YmYster

Smash Rookie
Sheik is in the middle of the tier list . But if you harness his simple standard attack you get players to around 70% - 90% in one combo. So i don't give f**k about the tier list. They shouldn't even announce a official tear list.

Dragonoise

Smash Apprentice
I don't care about the tier all that much. It's more like trivial/bonus info to me.

I play 'em because their fun for me to play, or because I liked the franchise.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
No.
I used Bowser for the majority of my melee days.
I could care less what tier Toon Link is. =P

kATAlyst

Smash Apprentice
not really,
64: link/samus
melee:zelda/pichu/mewtwo/samus
but i admit i get mad if all of them are lower than mid tier

White Pikmin

Smash Journeyman
my cousin once said

"its the guys, not the skill"

For ****! real people in this world know that it's not their charater, it's how one uses them!

Red Hawk One

Smash Apprentice
We are currently not at liberty to divulge that in
I COULD give a whole lecture on the placebo effect of teirs, but instead I'll just state the obvious: Tiers alone mean little to nothing. That said, I obviously couldn't care less about teirs. Is it nice that I'm potentially maining a high teir character? Yes. Do I really care? No.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I like to not care on the exterior, but in reality, part of me dies inside when I see that list.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
The people who actually care about tiers are the ones that play blindly as high tiers
Or the ones that complain and repeat "tiers are for queers"

Dairun

Smash Cadet
The only tier that matters is the Man Tier, and even that isn't set entirely in stone. I play what's fun for me.

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
I assure you that it's just a coincidence that I have the two characters currently considered the best tier wise in my sig--I had decided on these character long before the game came out (except for R.O.B., who I've still always had a respect for). Link's in the middle of my sig for a reason (representing that he's my primary main despite the sh*t that even most Link pros are giving him nowadays), and Snake is the second of my two primary mains for the fact that I, as an avid MGS fan, rejoiced at the knowledge of one of my favorite gaming icons appearing in this game (fanboyism is such a strong word...)--a good tier placement is just an add-on. If I were to choose a third primary main, it would probably be R.O.B., cuz I just have fun playing as him.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Tier lists dont affect my decision on mains, if I like a character I play as them. I dont main Snake but I wanted to ever since I saw his trailer since I love the Metal Gear series, but I ended up maining Zelda, who is considered a mid tier character.

As for caring where my main is on the tier list? Higher tier characters have a much faster developing metagame than low tier, but many people flock to the high tiers believing high tier = better character, less skill to play as, easier wins. This usually gives high tier mainers a bad rep, its a double edged sword. For example, in Melee, the Big Four (Fox, Falco, Shiek and Marth) ruled the community and were the majority of players mains. Because of this, their metagame grew to such an extent that their metagame eclipsed many others. Low tier characters were a rare sight in tournaments, and as such, their metagame grew slowly over the years.

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
Most of us will probably disagree with some of the decisions taken in the final Tier list anyways because everybody believes in his or her character, otherwise they wouldn't have mained them in the first place!! Which is why I believe most people don't care what the Tier list is other than top Tier

Immortal_One

Smash Apprentice
All the characters I main with are usually range from mid to low tier. Considering that about 45% of all high tier character users are new to smash itself and think they can win just because they're using a high tier character, I'm not afraid of people who use high tier characters.

And really, it's more respectable to win with a lower tier character than a higher tier character because less people think you'll win, so either you'll surprise them, or if you loose you can say, "Meah, I used a low tier character, that's why I lost." :p

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I admit that I mained Yoshi, Snake, and MK for a period of time. Snake and MK just naturally feel better. After finding out that many people actually mained MK and Snake, I dropped them. It was as if they were taboo to use. Did anyone else expierience this?

Meccs

@Meccs_
I couldn't care less. I just use the characters I like. My best 3 (all 3 games-wise) are always some order of Ness, Luigi, and Pikachu...

Frate

Smash Journeyman
It's fifty-fifty for me, but who cares, I still play Falcon and Link a lot. I don't go by any "tier list", though. I never play Meta Knight, he is filth.

Atsu

Smash Ace
The tier list is merely tournament results compiled into statistics. It's the person's choice if they want to main a character that currently has the best tournament results. I go off it so I can merely see if I'm playing with a High or Low Tier. I'm not going to switch up my mains just because [ insert reason here ].

Of course, most people see the illusion placed upon other members of the community. This illusion would be a list of who sucks, and who rocks. If you see a character low on the tier list, it merely means the character is being ignored or there aren't good enough players for that specified character.

Oh well. That's just my two cents.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't main high tier characters because I know they're high tier. I selected my mains before I knew about tier lists. But usually, and I say this from experience, the reasons people use tiers are as follows:

To make themselves seem better. They think that using a character that OTHER PEOPLE use well in tournaments will compensate for their lack of skill.

Idolizing. The reason I mained fox in melee. They pick out one smasher who they think is just SO awesome and will use the same character.

Misunderstanding. I actually know people who think tier lists say which character is the best, even though all they do is rank characters by how they do in tournaments.

I can only assume Metaknight will at LEAST be high tier. When I selected a main in SSB and Melee, I found out that I mained top tier characters both times.

Wario Nut

Smash Journeyman
I picked Wario because he's my favorite Nintendo character. I would use him if he was lower than bottom tier.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
No not really. All of my mains were chosen because I liked how they worked and felt.

I'd just be bothered by some idiot who thinks I automatically suck just because the character I'm using is low tier.

So far we've all chosen mains without a list haven't we?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
No not really. All of my mains were chosen because I liked how they worked and felt.

I'd just be bothered by some idiot who thinks I automatically suck just because the character I'm using is low tier.

So far we've all chosen mains without a list haven't we?
Most players will choose a character on it's feel or how much they like the character themselves ie their level of cool.
Or if they have a previous connection to the game or games that they are from.
Then some people pick it on skill level. So it's up to the player. I like your method. How they feel and work is important.

FalconPunch

Smash Journeyman
LOL @ ppl in this topic upset about tiers. The tier list doesn't even concern you at all. Anyway, play who I feel comfortable with like my main Falcon and I play Dr. Mario, Luigi, Ganondorf, and Marth and Roy and Bowser for fun.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
nope dont' care and it shouldn't matter, if your good with a character then stick with it

Top Bottom